register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Chain Stretch @ 40K

I'm unclear on how the VVT can cause accelerated chain wear or stretch and failure.

Just had the fun of driving on the highway and having the engine cut out. No warning, no noise, just tach goes to zero and I'm coasting down the hwy. Why coasting I thought later, being in 6th, I should have had engine braking, but no difference in gear or out.

Towed home, pull the valve cover and I'm missing a timing chain! VVT looks brand new. Thus my question. Seems the VVT would just change the relationship between intake and exhaust valves. If it failed, it would just quit working, performance would suck, but how does that cause chain failure?

I guess I missed my chance to catch it early. Somehow with no cats, muffler, lightweight flywheel, stiff motors mounts all around, no interior, .... I didn't hear the increased noise of chain hitting valve cover.

Look forward to getting schooled.
 Old 02-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #2

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,557 Times in 1,683 Posts
Groans: 55
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Even a failed vvt doesn't normally break the timing chain. You sure your tensioner didn't let go.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 AM   #3

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stick a magnetic pickup down there and grab the chain. If it broke i would think that the chain was just faulty. If it came off without breaking then maby a bad tentioner and a flailing vvt could throw the chain off .TBH people bend valves and that force usally isnt enuf to break a chain. Was it a oem chain ?

Yey for interference motors GL with the rebuild.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #4

sheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the worldsheston is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The chain had been hitting the valve cover, but the vvt looks brand new. I assume the chain had stretched since it was hitting the cover, but it was broken at a single link. didn't seem to damage anything.

Still trying to figure out if I got lucky and don't need to pull the head. I think I made a home made compression tester, compressed air into the spark plug hole, with a gauge to watch pressure. Looks like 2 or 3 out of 4 cylinders seem to hold quite a bit of pressure, couldn't turn the cams to close the others. Just had a thought I'll try, turn the crank (with just the bolt since I removed that gear) and see if it was just the valves hitting the tdc pistons that wouldn't let me turn them past a certain point.

Still don't see anything that should have caused the failure. Fuel pump looked good. Gears are tight, the tensioner seemed to catch a little, but I think I was just hitting something else. Guides are good....

I'll post up again if I have compression on all 4 cylinders (after I go to church and say a couple prayers), but still trying to figure out how the vvt could do anything like this
 Old 03-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Turning the crank allowed me to turn the camshafts. Looks like issues on cylinders 1 and 2. Guess I get the fun to pull the head and replace valves.

Any guru advice about how to tell how much to replace? Obviously bend valves, but what about guides, seals, ....? Better safe than sorry, or is it obvious what needs replaced.

I assume even thought it looks great, get the vvt rebuild kit with all the guides, tensioners and vvt....

Thanks, guess I should have waited until after church :-(
 Old 03-08-2019, 06:13 AM   #6

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

VVT kit with everything including NEW friction washers.

I'd replace all the pistons with valve holes in the tops too
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #7

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

interference engine = damages when the chain quit regardless of how lucky you can be...

Valves are weak so all of the bent one need replacement and the seats will be affected too. New valves or seats = new shim needed for different thickness...
In many cases, piston are just marked a bit and valve guide isn't broken but inspection is needed. If you keep pistons, buff out any thin extruded part that could glow and ignite fuel......
At this point finding spare oe pistons is pretty easy. Anyone with a forged engine may have more than 2-3 good ones. Or i did see a picture of Sp63 showing a hill of oe Speed piston for junk....

read the thread: how to vvt to make it fine at the first time, you don't want to mess with it again. especially about parts that shouldn't be re-used:
-Friction washers
-Crank bolts
-Cams bolts
-Head bolts

i got better sealing results with ''Righ stuff'' silicone than the grey stuff provided with the vvt kit for timing cover and oil pan...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pull the head and post pics!! I would just pull the head and send it to the machine shop and have them tell you the bad news. It could just be a few valves and checking for flatness. As for the block if the pistons arent gouged then maby just take down any burrs and you should be good to go. Washers, gaskets, vvt kit and beer. (Headstuds or bolts if you have oem ones in there)

Remember a used oem head full of valves and buckets only cost 350 or so online like ebay ect so it may be cheaper to get one and have it resurfaced and cleaned depending on what needs replacing.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1 // Air Lift 1000 in rear // N2MB WOT BOX
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

RazerX is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hello, the situation is not very pleasant, very sorry that everything happened. You're right, these things should be controlled, and try to prevent in advance, if possible.
RazerX is offline   Reply With Quote