register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Speed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,650 Times in 795 Posts
Groans: 82
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Cheapest way to get to 300whp

Well? I read that a SRI+Test Pipe can get 271 at the wheels, what's the cheapest way to get that extra 30?

edit: I've been reading around and a lot of people are saying meth, I'd like to avoid that because I want something that I can just fill up with gas and go - I'm not really looking to have to refill it with meth.

Also, I thought with a new intake, turbo manifold, down pipe/test pipe, Catback exhaust, and tuning (ecu flash or something), it should be pretty easy to see 300 hp at the wheels?
Speed3eak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #2

felt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,088 Times in 512 Posts
Groans: 1,364
Groaned at 589 Times in 386 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

CP-E Downpipe, CP-E Intake, ETS TMIC, PTP upgraded fuel internals, PG Exhaust Manifold and Cobb AP and a zoom zoom boom to go along with it.
felt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felt For This Useful Post:
ms3jake (03-03-2010), Speed3eak (03-03-2010)
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #3

Speed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What's the AP? I'm not looking to upgrade the intercooler just yet, I don't wanna overwork the engine and watch it explode, so if upper-mid 200's is all that's safe with aftermarket stuff I'm probably just gonna stop there.

I heard on another forum that the stock fuel system was good up to 400hp?

I've heard the turbo problems people had with the 2007's and 2008's were fixed in the 09? Shouldn't that apply to the '10 too?
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #4

boardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the worldboardjnky4 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 40 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

IMO, I would stop at the intake/test pipe combo with 271 hp
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

felt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the worldfelt is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Speed3eak View Post
What's the AP?
Cobb Accessport >>> cobbtuning.com

I heard on another forum that the stock fuel system was good up to 400hp?
Log off from that forum and never visit it again.

I've heard the turbo problems people had with the 2007's and 2008's were fixed in the 09? Shouldn't that apply to the '10 too?
I have seen very very few 08.5 and later with smoking turbo issues, I have an 08.5 with a catless downpipe and have no turbo smoking issues. 07 and early 08 were plagued with turbo smoking issues...

In all honesty, you would be very satisfied with a Cobb Intake, Cobb Inlet, Cobb Accessport and ETS or Streetunit TMIC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felt For This Useful Post:
ganque (03-03-2010), SpeedNess (03-03-2010)
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #6

Speed631 has a spectacular aura aboutSpeed631 has a spectacular aura aboutSpeed631 has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

AP is the Cobb Access Port
Speed631 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #7

speedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^^^^ listen to felt, go with what he said, and the fact that you didnt know what an AP was means you havent read around a lot because it is everywhere on this site, and for that other forum, as felt said, don't vist it anymore, this is the best forum for mazdaspeeds
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 - Ptp SST, Cobb AP, SSP 3.5" Intake, SURE Sidewinder, Autotech HPFP Internals, PTP 2150 psi HPRV, Cp-e Injector Seals, PTP Injector Studs, Jbarone TIG's, VTCS Delete, ETS 3.25" TMIC, M2 Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, MD OCC, Denso ITV 22, H & R springs, Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings, Dashhawk, Hawk HPs Pads, Centric Rotors, Street Unit Rear Motor Mount, TWM Stage II Shifter with Solid Bushings and Weighted Shift Knob, Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
speedms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Boost Whore

Unoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the worldUnoriginalusername is the leader of the world
Thanked 22,902 Times in 484 Posts
Groans: 223
Groaned at 58 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

CPE TBE, SRI, inlet pipe, BPV, FMIC and AP ... or save all that and go to a high reading dynojet

"God created turbo lag to give v8's a chance"
Unoriginalusername is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unoriginalusername For This Useful Post:
xcoldricex (03-23-2010)
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Haha, I've actually been on forums pretty constantly since I got the car, but I always see it referred to as ap and never as access port, I've seen people refer to it but I never made the connection. I have lost a step mentally since my accident so if I post stupid comments in the future that's probably why.

From what it sounds like it's probably a big pain in the ass to go that extra 30, I'm not really interested in upgrading the whole car - I just wanted to make it a little more of a driver's car.

I'm laughing at the 'quit and never return' comment, I thought that was a little suspicious when I read it.

edit: the 400hp on stock fuel system thing
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #10

wcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud ofwcm250f has much to be proud of
Groans: 4
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

yeah i was looking around also for information about the car and found this to be the best site for advise. felt nailed it.
wcm250f is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #11

JacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the worldJacksonMS30 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,060 Times in 1,370 Posts
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm making 269whp with the cobb SRI and TIP. The test pipe should add more than 2whp shouldn't it?

I also have the streetunit boost tubes but I figured them to be relatively negligible...
JacksonMS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #12

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,000 Times in 1,762 Posts
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you do want to swap out the stock intercooler.... it has a 3~4psi pressure drop... so your turbo is pushing 19~20psi just for stock 15psi boost. now imagine a more efficient IC that lets the engine receive 18.5psi while the turbo is pushing ~19psi... more boost for you, less work for the turbo.... more power

//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4tic For This Useful Post:
Dre (03-13-2010), RayRayBauder (03-04-2010)
 Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #13

KayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the worldKayWhy is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

In all honesty. SRI + Test Pipe + AP with a real tune will put you at 300 or JUST under it total cost ~$900
KayWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KayWhy For This Useful Post:
Realgib3 (03-04-2010)
 Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
KR....i haz it

Blackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,055 Posts
Groans: 166
Groaned at 56 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not looking to upgrade the intercooler just yet, I don't wanna overwork the engine and watch it explode,
the intercooler will not overwork the engine, and the turbo doesnt have to work as hard to hit the same boost.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
While the other forum is GREAT for technical/mechanical information and how to, that place is filled with single-minded (if you aren't driving fast, you're doing it wrong), arrogant, and professional douchebags.
Blackspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bmorrisj View Post
you do want to swap out the stock intercooler.... it has a 3~4psi pressure drop... so your turbo is pushing 19~20psi just for stock 15psi boost. now imagine a more efficient IC that lets the engine receive 18.5psi while the turbo is pushing ~19psi... more boost for you, less work for the turbo.... more power
Ok, I lied - I would love one but the cheapest I've seen them is $900. I plan on getting a good TMIC eventually (otherwise what would that hood scoop be doing?), but for now I'm probably gonna get an intake first, test pipe second, access port 3rd, good tune 4th, and later an intercooler.

I wanna upgrade other things besides the power though, I saw that thread on painting the stock rims, so I'm probably gonna go with that (gunmetal looks sweet), the rear motor mount and weighted knobs are pretty cheap, but the biggest thing was I wanted to get some new seat covers (ideally black sides with red perforated middle, leather too), and those are looking to be 600 bucks. I also wanna put on angel eyes when I get some more free time, I found them for 75 bucks on one site, but the install is an all day affair (I've heard times ranging from 6-12 hours)

Thanks for the advice, and you guys are right - this forum is definitely way better than the other one I've been hanging around recently. Also excuse my long-windedness, ignore it and it'll go away after I've been a member for a while.
 Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #16

Speed631 has a spectacular aura aboutSpeed631 has a spectacular aura aboutSpeed631 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

The MM should be near the top of your list, may I suggest before your seat covers...
Speed631 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
KR....i haz it

Blackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the worldBlackspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,055 Posts
Groans: 166
Groaned at 56 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i ran intake, inlet ,test pipe, and TMIC with no tune and no problems.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
While the other forum is GREAT for technical/mechanical information and how to, that place is filled with single-minded (if you aren't driving fast, you're doing it wrong), arrogant, and professional douchebags.
Blackspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
Banned

ms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,216 Times in 759 Posts
Groans: 974
Groaned at 738 Times in 373 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, I lied - I would love one but the cheapest I've seen them is $900. I plan on getting a good TMIC eventually (otherwise what would that hood scoop be doing?)
You are aware that the 1st GEN has functional openings that channel air to the intercooler as well right? The only real difference is that the openings are on the hood vice in front but nonetheless both designs serve to provide air to the TMIC.

With that said a FMIC is still beneficial either way because the stock TMIC (on both MS3's) gets heat soaked due to it being placed directly on top of the motor. This isn't as much of an issue while the car is moving forward but when you're stopped for a while BATs (boosted air temps sky rocket).

Obviously with a FMIC your BATs will be significantly lower which in turn increases efficiently which improves power. If you go with a FMIC the airways that served to provide air to the TMIC will just be going inside the engine bay which isn’t a bad thing.
ms3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #19

mzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputemzdaspeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

With that being said of course it is better to have a front mount has anyone else with a 2010 attempted one yet? If so was there any issues with the car? I have heard a few people on here say it has to be tuned before a front mount can be put on.
mzdaspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms3077 View Post
You are aware that the 1st GEN has functional openings that channel air to the intercooler as well right? The only real difference is that the openings are on the hood vice in front but nonetheless both designs serve to provide air to the TMIC.

With that said a FMIC is still beneficial either way because the stock TMIC (on both MS3's) gets heat soaked due to it being placed directly on top of the motor. This isn't as much of an issue while the car is moving forward but when you're stopped for a while BATs (boosted air temps sky rocket).

Obviously with a FMIC your BATs will be significantly lower which in turn increases efficiently which improves power. If you go with a FMIC the airways that served to provide air to the TMIC will just be going inside the engine bay which isn’t a bad thing.
I see what you're saying, and because I have a lot of time to think about it, I may change my mind, but non-functional hood scoops are just gay. When somebody asks me "what does that enormous opening on the top of your car do?" and I answer "well... nothing anymore" I'll just feel like a douche. They're great on the 2009's and earlier because even though there are openings to direct air to the intercooler they're not huge and shout-y like the scoop on the gen 2 is.

That being said, if somebody made a kit to convert the scoop to a ram air scoop that would be effing sweet.
 Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #21

xxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond reputexxspeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

actually i think if you get a turbo inlet and a downpipe and a protune you should see 300whrp no problem.
xxspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #22

PiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the worldPiKA West is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,890 Times in 200 Posts
Groans: 80
Groaned at 28 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is the AP even out for the gen2's yet?

18x8.5 Hyperblack Rota SVN 48mm Offset - 235/40/18 Nitto Invo - JBarone Short Shift Plate - E4Performance Shifter Base Bushings - CP-E Turbo Inlet - CP-E CAI With Prefilter - CP-E HKS SQV Kit - Ultimate Racing Catless Test Pipe - CP-E Rear Motor Mount 75 Durometer - Spare Tire Delete
PiKA West is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #23

nutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the world
Groans: 100
Groaned at 39 Times in 26 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

3" straight back no cats, inlet and intake and you should be running anywhere from 18 to 20 psi with the backpressure loss and that should put you around 300 without a tune. just watch out for boost cut.
 Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

I think the front grill of a 2010 (yes the smiley bullshit) will restrict airflow to the intercooler on a fmic...Atleast it isn't as optimal as the MS3 Gen1 front bumper. In all honesty, I'd stick with an upgraded TMIC. I had one along time ago and it stayed very cool to the touch when compared to my stock tmic. I would park my car with the stock tmic and after a few minutes it would get hot. I did the same with the ETS TMIC and after 10 minutes it was still cool to the touch.
 Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #25

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,000 Times in 1,762 Posts
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you can find a a good used TMIC for ~400

//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I saw a photo of an aftermarket front bumper for the 2010 that looked sweet - I'm looking for it now but I can't seem to find it again. Anyway, it took out that huge piece of plastic (IMO its what makes the smile look bad) and the difference was huge. It was a japanese company that made it, I think.
 Old 03-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #27

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,309 Times in 634 Posts
Groans: 58
Groaned at 42 Times in 26 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Going back to OP's original question: Cheapest way to 300 whp would be SRI, and catless dp/rp and one step colder plugs. Would put you pretty close, certainly a bit over 300 crank horses. Total mods would be less cost than the AP alone.

To go over 300 whp on the cheap with above mods, add a good manual boost controller set to 18 or 19 psi (no higher) and dial it back to a safe 17 when not at the track. These are available from Hallman, Turbo XS and others for well under $150.

This is not how I would personally build 300 whp, but you could do all of the above for well under $1000 and if sensible in use of the MBC could avoid zoom, zoom, boom.
Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods:TurboXS DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2 unrolled exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
IM A SCAMMER

2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OFF TOPIC : so with my mod what number you think i be getting to the wheels? you think i be getting 300 to the wheels? cause i just read a post on this thread saying they are making 269-271 with just a sri and yip.
 Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #29
Banned

ms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the worldms3077 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,216 Times in 759 Posts
Groans: 974
Groaned at 738 Times in 373 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 2010 MS3 View Post
OFF TOPIC : so with my mod what number you think i be getting to the wheels? you think i be getting 300 to the wheels? cause i just read a post on this thread saying they are making 269-271 with just a sri and yip.
Lets see..

SRI: 15-20whp
Inlet: 0-5whp
RMM: 0
BOV: 0
DP: 15-20whp
TP: 10whp

Total: 40-55whp - Stock whp ~230-240whp w/ mods: ~ 270-285whp.

With a decent tune I think 300whp is doable. By the way comparing DYNO #'s as a means to determine who's making more power is pointless. There are too many variables in the equation.
ms3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ms3077 For This Useful Post:
2010 MS3 (03-03-2010), FridayGt (03-23-2010)
 Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 2010 MS3 View Post

Well it's a claim from a manufacturer, and to be fair they did do engine mounts too, which increases the number of hp going to the wheels. And if they were smart about it they did an ecu tune to it too because they're an aftermarket manufacturer (actually I could be wrong about that, I don't know what the standard practice is regarding stuff like this)

I dunno, the fact that you asked the question makes me believe that it's not what it would seem to be, however an engine tune isn't listed - I figure that could account for a few extra ponies. Plus you've got a catted d/p if I'm reading that correctly, so the goodies on your car shouldn't account for too much more/less than that if I'm right (although I'm a newb to forced induction so I could be way off the mark here), but I'd say with everything you've got you're probably putting down around 280 at the wheels.

How close was I?

edit: to the guy who posted the absolute cheapest way to get to 300, thank you for answering my question to the "T", but this car is gonna be a DD so I need reasonable reliability too, so I'm probably gonna start off with a SRI + Test Pipe (I may get the TIP too), but I'm probably gonna save up and upgrade things that help the durability. Probably go with a used TMIC, aftermarket BPV/BOV, OCC, definitely a RMM too - I'm looking to enhance the feeling I get when I mash my foot to the ground.

Also, I do want leather seats, angel eyes, interior LED's.LED tail lights, etc. - so those things will be woven into the game plan on what I'm gonna do with the car.

Honestly, I've been glued to the computer screen looking at things I could do to the car to make it 'mine'. It'll probably never all get done, but as long as I get some of it taken care of, I'll be pretty happy.
 Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #31
IM A SCAMMER

2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms3077 View Post
Lets see..

SRI: 15-20whp
Inlet: 0-5whp
RMM: 0
BOV: 0
DP: 15-20whp
TP: 10whp

Total: 40-55whp - Stock whp ~230-240whp w/ mods: ~ 270-285whp.

With a decent tune I think 300whp is doable. By the way comparing DYNO #'s as a means to determine who's making more power is pointless. There are too many variables in the equation.
you are right , thanks for your info !!

Well it's a claim from a manufacturer, and to be fair they did do engine mounts too, which increases the number of hp going to the wheels. And if they were smart about it they did an ecu tune to it too because they're an aftermarket manufacturer (actually I could be wrong about that, I don't know what the standard practice is regarding stuff like this)

I dunno, the fact that you asked the question makes me believe that it's not what it would seem to be, however an engine tune isn't listed - I figure that could account for a few extra ponies. Plus you've got a catted d/p if I'm reading that correctly, so the goodies on your car shouldn't account for too much more/less than that if I'm right (although I'm a newb to forced induction so I could be way off the mark here), but I'd say with everything you've got you're probably putting down around 280 at the wheels.

How close was I?

edit: to the guy who posted the absolute cheapest way to get to 300, thank you for answering my question to the "T", but this car is gonna be a DD so I need reasonable reliability too, so I'm probably gonna start off with a SRI + Test Pipe (I may get the TIP too), but I'm probably gonna save up and upgrade things that help the durability. Probably go with a used TMIC, aftermarket BPV/BOV, OCC, definitely a RMM too - I'm looking to enhance the feeling I get when I mash my foot to the ground.

Also, I do want leather seats, angel eyes, interior LED's.LED tail lights, etc. - so those things will be woven into the game plan on what I'm gonna do with the car.

Honestly, I've been glued to the computer screen looking at things I could do to the car to make it 'mine'. It'll probably never all get done, but as long as I get some of it taken care of, I'll be pretty happy.
take it slow, it took me from sep till now (1/2 yr ) to get all my parts
 Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #32

thenewzolt has much to be proud ofthenewzolt has much to be proud ofthenewzolt has much to be proud ofthenewzolt has much to be proud ofthenewzolt has much to be proud ofthenewzolt has much to be proud ofthenewzolt has much to be proud ofthenewzolt has much to be proud of
Groans: 3
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bmorrisj View Post
how safe would it be to run a new tmic on a 2010 without a tune?
thenewzolt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #33

SpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the worldSpeedSixxx is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,653 Times in 1,395 Posts
Groans: 778
Groaned at 443 Times in 239 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

do what i do! jerk it and dump a load of nut in the gas tank and you'll be pushing 350 to the wheels in a nano second brah! like totally.

SpeedSixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpeedSixxx For This Useful Post:
nutsac76 (03-04-2010), PiKA West (03-05-2010), RastaRican718 (01-16-2014), yearzero (03-04-2010)
 Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #34

nutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the worldnutsac76 is the leader of the world
Groans: 100
Groaned at 39 Times in 26 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SpeedSixxx View Post
do what i do! jerk it and dump a load of nut in the gas tank and you'll be pushing 350 to the wheels in a nano second brah! like totally.
he's right iv'e seen him do it at the dyno right before his pull. it's like NOS.

Last edited by nutsac76; 03-04-2010 at 04:59 AM.
nutsac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nutsac76 For This Useful Post:
SpeedSixxx (03-04-2010)
 Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #35
IM A SCAMMER

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SpeedSixxx View Post
Originally Posted by nutsac76 View Post
he's right iv'e seen him do it at the dyno right beofre his pull. it's like NOS.
lol.....
 Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #36

taf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,615 Posts
Groans: 187
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by thenewzolt View Post
how safe would it be to run a new tmic on a 2010 without a tune?
It will be just fine...reset the battery if you want, the ecu is smart enough to learn for a tmic.

I had fmic, test pipe, cai, inlet, bpv with no tune and ran great
Engine:Cobb AP,BNR S3,FREEKTUNED,Wiseco Pistons/Manley Rods, Ported Manifold, Bosch 3bar MAP,CS DP/RP&cat-back,DNP manifold,FP internals,JBR 3.5"WP,CP-E flange HKS,DO Stage II 75% meth,PG piping,TR8L FMIC,JBR Trans mount 70d,JBR 80d RMM,JBR RSB & FSB, DH CP-E mount,JBR SST,JBR knob,ACT 6puck,JBR EGR delete,CPE Seals,Grimmspeed EBC,windage tray,JBR BSD,JBR TIG,MD Catch Can.Looks:yellow lamin-x fogs,chrome turn signals,side moldings removed,20% tint.Suspension/Wheels:Enkei RPF1 17x9,Eibach 5mm spaces H&R springs,koni yellows.

Highest HP BNR S3
BNR-S3 424/397 @GSD Dyno
414/390 at MNM

KILLAH BUILT/FREEK TUNED
taf0422 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 AM   #37

shook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the worldshook02 is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 20 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

just so everyone knows, AP isnt even out yet for gen2's and cobb seems to be in no hurry to get it out
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shook02 For This Useful Post:
Dre (03-13-2010), PiKA West (03-05-2010), SpeedSixxx (03-04-2010)
 Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #38

banditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the worldbanditscout is the leader of the world
Groans: 50
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Supposedly, the ECU on the GEN 2's is even more complex than the 1st gen car's. I'm told they're working on it, plus, they have a shop car here at their Plano, TX location, so I'm pretty sure they're making an effort. Your time will come, Gen 2'ers...your time will come.
banditscout is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #39

taf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the worldtaf0422 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,615 Posts
Groans: 187
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just go SB..lol

I probably should've with my first gen but I'm going to work my way up to that once I build more and learn more about the ecu
Engine:Cobb AP,BNR S3,FREEKTUNED,Wiseco Pistons/Manley Rods, Ported Manifold, Bosch 3bar MAP,CS DP/RP&cat-back,DNP manifold,FP internals,JBR 3.5"WP,CP-E flange HKS,DO Stage II 75% meth,PG piping,TR8L FMIC,JBR Trans mount 70d,JBR 80d RMM,JBR RSB & FSB, DH CP-E mount,JBR SST,JBR knob,ACT 6puck,JBR EGR delete,CPE Seals,Grimmspeed EBC,windage tray,JBR BSD,JBR TIG,MD Catch Can.Looks:yellow lamin-x fogs,chrome turn signals,side moldings removed,20% tint.Suspension/Wheels:Enkei RPF1 17x9,Eibach 5mm spaces H&R springs,koni yellows.

Highest HP BNR S3
BNR-S3 424/397 @GSD Dyno
414/390 at MNM

KILLAH BUILT/FREEK TUNED
taf0422 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Great info guys, thanks for all the help with this.

I should be getting a SRI soon b/c cold air doesn't sound like its worth it especially with a corksport heat shield. I'm gonna install the shifter bushings and shift plate I have from jbarone thats been sitting around, and after all that I'll probably install a rear motor mount.

After that, I'll probably install a test pipe and delete one of the resonators b/c I've heard the exhaust sounds better without them.

After that, I'll be pretty happy with it, I'm probably gonna save up and get the leather seat covers next (thanks to whoever posted the link), and I also plan on installing some angel/demon eyes when I can get around to it. I also want to paint the rims but I gotta get some car jacks before I can do that.

MSF FTW