register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Keko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,441 Times in 666 Posts
Groans: 107
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Effects of CC not being ventilated?

I installed a JBR OCC a few months back, roughly 4000 miles ago. I got the kit with a check valve, but apparently the check valve had been installed backwards in the fittings before it came to me. I installed it according to the directions. So the IM was likely pressurizing the OCC and occ lines up until the PCV valve.

After roughly 4k miles I tried to drain the OCC, and not a single drop came out. I then investigated and found the problem with the check valve. So basically the CC was not being ventilated pretty for the past few months. Anyways, my question is, was this bad for the motor? If so, how bad?

Stratified 91

Cobb AP | UR FMIC, TP, CBE | Autotech Internals
Forge v2 BPV | Denso ITV22 | SURE Aeros Full3 ID283*
JBR 88a RMM/TMM, 70a PMM, OCC, RSB, TIGs, Coolant bypass, EGR delete, Bushings, Knob
Aeroforce Interceptor | Defi Boost gauge

*Product is advertised as ID300
Keko is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #2

pwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the worldpwdunmore is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Keko View Post
I installed a JBR OCC a few months back, roughly 4000 miles ago. I got the kit with a check valve, but apparently the check valve had been installed backwards in the fittings before it came to me. I installed it according to the directions. So the IM was likely pressurizing the OCC and occ lines up until the PCV valve.

After roughly 4k miles I tried to drain the OCC, and not a single drop came out. I then investigated and found the problem with the check valve. So basically the CC was not being ventilated pretty for the past few months. Anyways, my question is, was this bad for the motor? If so, how bad?
I doubt it's good but it's not terrible. You just made it so you valve cover was venting all the pressure in the crankcase so you might have some residue in the intake.
pwdunmore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pwdunmore For This Useful Post:
Keko (09-26-2013)
 Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,008 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Switch it properly, and then drive. Should have honestly ran like shit Mine did when I flipped em on a car.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post:
Keko (09-26-2013)
 Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,380 Times in 7,868 Posts
Groans: 792
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

the valve cover barely vents any pressure at all. you're probably new enough to not have a lot of blow by yet, but in the long haul, it would have blown out your rear main seal.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Keko (09-26-2013)
 Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Keko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
the valve cover barely vents any pressure at all. you're probably new enough to not have a lot of blow by yet, but in the long haul, it would have blown out your rear main seal.
Took the ms3 out for a grocery trip today. Within the first few minutes I noticed the clutch felt a little funny. Hard to describe exactly but a little more squishy and less precise. On the way to the store I did a 4th gear pull and the clutch was slipping around 4k in 4th gear. I shat bricks and did a couple more 4th gear pulls to confirm it was slipping. The car had been parked facing downhill for 3-4 days, and usually it doesn't sit that long before I take it out.

The car only has 17k miles and I don't beat the shit out of it. I DO live in a very hilly area though with basically no flat ground, and because of this I hit red lights that are on hills a lot. At first I thought maybe I had been careless with the clutch and slipped it too much, but the more I think about it the more I realize I baby it.

I am now concerned that the rear main seal is leaking from the OCC check valve that was installed incorrectly, which prevented the CC from ventilating for roughly 4k miles. Are there any relatively simple tests I can do to check the health of the rear main seal? Any advice would be appreciated.

Pretty bummed about this because I just got laid off from my job and I have to hoard the rest of my money.

Stratified 91

JBR 88a RMM/TMM, 70a PMM, OCC, RSB, TIGs, Coolant bypass, EGR delete, Bushings, Knob

Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

StayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,823 Times in 912 Posts
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I thiis there oil on the ground?
Dmurray06 (10-08-2013), Keko (10-08-2013)
 Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@StayBroke; Nope, no oil underneath.

Additional information, the slipping only lasted for about 300-400 RPM and then came back down and gripped. Roughly from 3900-4300 RPM.

Also, my car isn't making very much power compared to most, due to the shitty cali 91 in my area. VD at 1.01 CF puts me at roughly 260whp and 302 wtq.

Stratified 91

Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

StayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the worldStayBroke is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,823 Times in 912 Posts
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well keep a eye out if you think its the rear main leaking. But I think your fine.
Keko (10-08-2013)
 Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #9

JgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,437 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There was some sort of gasket-y substance between the bell housing and block on the 2010 we did a trans swap for, so I'm not sure if you're guaranteed to see oil at that seam. I would think the easiest method to check for oil would be to pull the starter off and dip a pipe cleaner inside that orifice to the bottom of the bell housing. There will be plenty of clutch dust, but you'll be able to tell if it's wet or not.

13.10@117.1 full weight DD no prep 1/4 (BNR S3 / E85)
JgamB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JgamB For This Useful Post:
Keko (10-08-2013)
 Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
jbr makes fall-a-parts.

Tokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the worldTokay444 is the leader of the world
Thanked 26,380 Times in 7,868 Posts
Groans: 792
Groaned at 496 Times in 321 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Or pull the pan.

Inb4 85% silicone core. It's better than aluminum.
What's you buddy's ex wife trap?
I <3 SP63, but that port job though... "The coolant must be evaporating." Bye Felicia
"Exclusivity" - CP-enis
Demodded.
The Seals
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Keko (10-08-2013), Little John (10-08-2013)
 Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #11

Little John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the world
Groans: 55
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you need any help let me know ill be glad to help out
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little John For This Useful Post:
Keko (10-08-2013)
 Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Little John View Post
If you need any help let me know ill be glad to help out
Thanks, I would appreciate that. I'm going to talk to one of my friends that always help me wrench on the car and see if we can get some time together this weekend. My knowledge of motors is limited but grows every time I install something. So we might, or might not need your help.

Stratified 91

Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #13

nindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the worldnindoja is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,120 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JgamB View Post
There was some sort of gasket-y substance between the bell housing and block on the 2010 we did a trans swap for, so I'm not sure if you're guaranteed to see oil at that seam. I would think the easiest method to check for oil would be to pull the starter off and dip a pipe cleaner inside that orifice to the bottom of the bell housing. There will be plenty of clutch dust, but you'll be able to tell if it's wet or not.
I don't recall any gasket like substance between the engine and the trans. There was a sealant between the bell housing and the gearbox though, that we found when we were trying to take the trans apart.
Brakes: Hawk HPS pads // ATE Superblue fluid // Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Other: CP-e Safe Seals // MattDamond shift plate // Masonvi shift knob // 3.5" WP w/recirc // RSB // IM + TB tigs // Synapse Engineering FMIC + BOV // Autotech internals
Tune: hypnotic tuned

Critical Stats:
// 305whp/352tq
// 13.34 @ 98 - Mason Dixon Dragway - 4/13/14

Titanium Gray 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Damond Motorsports: OCC // Short shift plate // Turbo oil feed restrictor bolt
Other: Autotech internals // Ebay M2 DP // Masonvi shift knob //
nindoja is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #14

JgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the worldJgamB is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,437 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by nindoja View Post
I don't recall any gasket like substance between the engine and the trans. There was a sealant between the bell housing and the gearbox though, that we found when we were trying to take the trans apart.
That's possible, I just remember in my mind's eye some sort of yellow film around the perimeter of the bell housing that was too consistent to be grime. Dunno... either way I think popping the starter off is an easy / clean way to check for rear main seal leakage.

Just don't lose that $30 piece of foam gasket that keeps debris out.

13.10@117.1 full weight DD no prep 1/4 (BNR S3 / E85)
JgamB is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #15

Little John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the worldLittle John is the leader of the world
Groans: 55
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Keko View Post
Thanks, I would appreciate that. I'm going to talk to one of my friends that always help me wrench on the car and see if we can get some time together this weekend. My knowledge of motors is limited but grows every time I install something. So we might, or might not need your help.
Yeah for sure man ill do what i can!
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote