register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #1

Nataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,238 Posts
Groans: 31
Groaned at 31 Times in 21 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default I think 2nd gear synchros are shot

Thursday, my car started randomly popping out of 2nd gear. After that happened a couple of times, it quit, so I've just been taking it easy since to make sure that things were OK. Never happened again until today, and now, it won't go into 2nd gear at all. I tried to adjust the cable, I took off the short shift plate and went back to stock, adjusted the cable some more, and it still will not go into 2nd. When I put it into 2nd, as soon as I start to let the clutch out, it starts to grind, then pops out of gear. Is it time to stock out and go to the dealer, or is there something else that I should check first. I have no power mods at all yet, just SSP, which I took off, aluminum shifter bushings, and CPE RMM.

Is there a mods friendly dealer in Dallas that I wouldn't have to take off the RMM for?

06 BM MS6=stock (totaled)
06 WWP MS6=suspension only (sold)
93 RX-7=single turbo swap, 300whp@8psi, 2600lbs (sold)
Wife's 10 MS3=bolt-ons & tune, 13.6 best ET (sold)
13 5.0
Wife's 13 Focus ST
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #2

reddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the worldreddeerspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,336 Times in 146 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

your syncro is fubar. my tranny was a $2k warranty bill to fix the same problem. let them test drive it with the RMM installed to make the problem evident, then stock it out before you give them the car
 Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #3

Nataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the worldNataphen is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The car only has 6K miles on it, I hope that that's a fluke and not something that commonly happens.
 Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
IM A SCAMMER

2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future2010 MS3 has a brilliant future
Groans: 4
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

6K and your tranny is shot already? You drive your car hard ?
 Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #5

treyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond reputetreyclash has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 14
Groaned at 321 Times in 98 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i have only grinded a little here and there but i am at 4k miles and its still completely clean and smooths shifts. thats crazy for it to go out this early. going to the track alot, power shifting, or slamming?
Exterior: -Rally Armor Mud Flaps. - Xenon 35w 6000.
treyclash is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't grind gears hardly at all. I haven't been to the track, and I could probably count on my hands how many times I've shifted hard. When I first got the SSP installed, I had a little bit of grinding, but I got used to it after a day and never did again after that. The thing just suddenly started popping out of gear, then the next thing I knew, it was totally gone. I'm taking it in to the dealer in the morning. I already removed the SSP, and the tech that will be working on it is on dfwmazdas.com. He said that I could leave the shifter bushings and RMM in place and it wouldn't be a problem.

For the record, I don't think that it was the SSP that caused the problem, I'm not trying to give JBarone any bad press whatsoever. I just took it off before going to the dealer because I was afraid that they would say that that's what caused the problem. I'm pretty sure that I just got a bad synchro from the factory. Even if I did drive my car pretty hard, 6K is pretty early for a synchro to go. I DD the car, and just get on it every once in a while, as I'm sure that everyone here does.

Last edited by Nataphen; 08-03-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to Nataphen For This Useful Post:
jbarone (08-04-2010)
 Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I dropped the car off this evening. The tech that I've been talking to was out until in the morning, so I didn't go out of my way to get it there early today.

Does anyone have any other thoughts about this? Any other MS3s have synchros go out this early? It's not like I haven't ever driven a standard before, street or track. I haven't tracked this car, and as many things as I've broken when driving my other cars DD or track, my transmissions have always survived. I just don't think that I was so rough on 2nd gear that a good trans couldn't hold up past 6K miles.
 Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #8

snailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the worldsnailD is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,081 Posts
Groans: 19
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i beat the absolute piss outa my car and no issues, like buttahh. i think u just got the shaft tranny. best of luck.

hal change your name? haha
[443/409]SAE CORRECTED
snailD is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, he started changing everyone's name in the shoutbox yesterday to something with fag, lol.
 Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #10

indianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I like it....phag.

Good luck with car.
 Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. No news yet, but I'll keep you guys posted.
 Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #12

motocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the world
Groans: 25
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What Dealer?
i unfortunatly dont have any suggestions on this issue because ive never had any simular to this.
Gen 1 2008 BM 44,300 still running strong..
I think ive asked you before but where in dallas are you located?
motocrosser614 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Town North Mazda in Richardson. I'm working with Victor (advisor) and Mike (tech). Both were highly recommended by the DFW Mazda club. I live in Forney, but I finally made it out to my first meet last week @ Buffalo Wild Wings in Irving. Cool people there, and I had a great time. Do you ever come to the meets?
 Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #14

motocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the worldmotocrosser614 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not many meets because of two jobs 1 8-5 and the other 6-10 so i dont get much time on weekdays. Ill be out at the Scion Brag and drag this friday @ Texas motor speedway if your cars running come out and race a few. $20 to race $7 to watch the races unless you get a buy one ticket get one free coupon from o`reily auto parts then its only $3.50 a person. I live in Keller, TX , but i used to live in Irving so im familar with that BWW.

SCION drag-n-brag - Texas Motor Speedway

Last edited by motocrosser614; 08-04-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would love to, but I'm going to take it easy on the car for a few days to make sure that everything is good. There's a drag strip 10 minutes away from my house, and TMS is not too far away. I'll have to make the time to go to a track soon, I miss it.
 Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

I hear ya. Its good competition though if your intrested the following weekend ill be there as well. srt-4 fully modded, one fast ass 4dr cobalt SS, Subaru everything, fully built rx-7 ( this guy takes evos off the line). thats just a small list of last weeks street outlaw division. I usually stay for the bandit races because of a TT viper thats running 3.5psi and race gas and putting everyone to shame.
you can bring a cooler and beer as well for after your done racing or knocked out
 Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds good. I don't if I ever told you, but I'm from Forney.
 Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just got off the phone with the advisor. He said that 2nd gear is totally trashed, and they are tearing the transmission apart right now to see if there are any other gears that have problems. He's going to call me back with specifics when they get it torn down. He said that something definitely seems to have gone wrong with the transmission from when it was built since it was that bad at such low mileage.
mexicant (08-04-2010)
 Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The tech called, 2nd gear is rounded off, but every other gear looks brand new. They ordered new slider, hub, forks, etc. to rebuild 2nd. Warranty is no problem. He said they saw the RMM and the OCC kit, and said it was fine. I'll update as soon as I get more info.
 Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #20

senor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,766 Times in 413 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Told you Mike would take care of you. Not only is he knowledgeable, but his workmanship is top notch. I really need to get him a case of beer or something.

Check out my big turbo build!
senor blanco ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to senor blanco ms3 For This Useful Post:
Nataphen (08-04-2010)
 Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does he ever make it out to the meets?
 Old 08-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #22

6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world6SpeedTA95 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow awesome dealer! If my local dealer doesn't work with me when I buy I'd consider town north. I bought my maxima four years ago from Town North in Austin
6SpeedTA95 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Mike told me that they do watch for certain mods when doing warranty work. He said that any intakes, DPs, upgraded TMICs, FMICs, or tuners, you should stock out if you're wanting warranty to cover it. He said that they can give you a pretty hard time if you don't.

He said that he would always do his best to help though.
 Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #24

senor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the worldsenor blanco ms3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,766 Times in 413 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
Does he ever make it out to the meets?
He used to but he's been busy lately.

Check out my big turbo build!
senor blanco ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #25

Speed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the worldSpeed3eak is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,650 Times in 795 Posts
Groans: 82
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The tech called, 2nd gear is rounded off, but every other gear looks brand new. They ordered new slider, hub, forks, etc. to rebuild 2nd. Warranty is no problem. He said they saw the RMM and the OCC kit, and said it was fine. I'll update as soon as I get more info.
I'm looking forwards to an update thread when you've drive enough to see what difference the OCC makes. I'm curious to see how much of a difference the "updated" pcv system in the gen 2 makes.
Speed3eak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #26

silversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 52
Groaned at 26 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Glad to see the fail going strong in the 2010's
Rota wheel whore #1
MOdS list
shaved with a razor moldings (EDGE cream)~de-BaGEd FTW~
painted StoCk wheels secret color ~ rattl;e caned RooF~ jdm painted brake conversion~ clear tint ~ light weight black hood and trunk with wing option ~ japanese amber side markers/ running lights ~ tw0 light weight car seats ~ shifter weight reduction ~ stock recaros with red stitching ~ mp3 mazda stereo

for sale: ms3 transmission second gear is worn out. Perfect if you want to Upgrade it or if you don't want to have any down time if you're trans is messed up!
PM me with offers
silversurfer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #27

Raysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond reputeRaysfan has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 16
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the same EXACTproblem with my car. The only thing I had on when I went to the dealer was the RMM. They voided my transmission warranty and now I have to rev match on 2nd gear and I cannot downshift into 2nd gear at all. Mazda North America has my transmission flagged so I am pretty much PHUCKED!
 Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #28

speed3Texas is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I dropped the car off this evening. The tech that I've been talking to was out until in the morning, so I didn't go out of my way to get it there early today.

Does anyone have any other thoughts about this? Any other MS3s have synchros go out this early? It's not like I haven't ever driven a standard before, street or track. I haven't tracked this car, and as many things as I've broken when driving my other cars DD or track, my transmissions have always survived. I just don't think that I was so rough on 2nd gear that a good trans couldn't hold up past 6K miles.

I just bought my MS3 3 weeks ago (used with 18k) and 2nd gear grinds. Im going to the dealership this weekend to hopefully get a new tranny or at least fix the problem. I had the same problem in my WRX and it was definity the synchros. With 6k everything should be covered under warranty. I see that your in Dallas do you know of any good tune shops? I used to go to Alamo auto in Arlington but they will rip you off.
speed3Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #29

lazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond reputelazn has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 11 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

good news! nice!
lazn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

By far the most popular Mazda tuner in the Dallas area is COBB in Plano. Go to dfwmazdas.com for anything and everything that's available in the DFW area. Tons of info about local shops there.

06 BM MS6=stock (totaled)
06 WWP MS6=suspension only (sold)
93 RX-7=single turbo swap, 300whp@8psi, 2600lbs (sold)
Wife's 10 MS3=bolt-ons & tune, 13.6 best ET (sold)
13 5.0
Wife's 13 Focus ST
speed3Texas (11-15-2010)