register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
Thanked 33,220 Times in 10,051 Posts
Groans: 298
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Default No WOT below 3,000 rpms, no part throttle boost?

Guys and Girls,

I could use some help piecing together information on a couple of topics I've read about specific to the MZR platform...

-) My first few questions concerning "no WOT under 3,000 rpm's"...

-Does this suggestion come from the ecu's transition from closed loop to open loop, and if not, what does the 3,000 rpm threshold represent mechanically?
- i.e. if a torque curve is tuned is flat as possible, can someone please explain the difference of tq. coming in @ 2,500 rpms, vs say 3,000 rpm's.
-Is the only solution to this problem non-powder forged internals?

-) My second question is related to "no part throttle boosting"...

Where is this recommendation rooted?

Please forgive me, as this is the first car I've driven whose owner's recommend specific driving styles.

Last edited by rfinkle2; 03-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
rfinkle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,808 Posts
Groans: 338
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
Guys and Girls,

I could use some help piecing together information on a couple of topics I've read about specific to the MZR platform...

-Does this suggestion come from the ecu's transition from closed loop to open loop, and if not, what does the 3,000 rpm threshold represent mechanically?
- i.e. if a torque curve is tuned is flat as possible, can someone please explain the difference of tq. coming in @ 2,500 rpms, vs say 3,000 rpm's.
-Is the only solution to this problem forged internals?

Please forgive me, as this is the first car I've driven whose owner's recommend specific driving styles.
1st topic, well I think people have said that it puts a lot of load on the rods for a longer period of time say at tdc when you have lower engine speeds. I don't know if this is necessarily true. But what i think is there is some resonance in these engines at 2000-3000rpm, and putting extra load on these engines when they are resonating could result in failure.

2nd topic, I part throttle boost all the time.

2009 Mazdaspeed 3:
GT3076 - Corkey tuned
Treadstone 3" MAF, HTP 3" turbo inlet, MSCBE, Turbo XS FMIC, CNT catted DP, CP-E HPFP,
Tial QR BPV, SURE TIG's, ITV24's,
CP-E Stage 2 RMM, Medefail Tranny mount, 18x8 245/40's
390whp/400wtq
12.8@114

Sold
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86AmishMs3 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #3

Amazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,174 Times in 931 Posts
Groans: 214
Groaned at 114 Times in 83 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You don't want to load your engine at such low rpm's. Many of us believe this is why we had issues with popped motors back in the day. This turbo is really too small for our cars, its spools too quickly. That's why most of us play the "no wot until 3000" game.

Also, name another car you've had where you floor it at 2500 in order to accelerate quickly.

Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amazon For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

I Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the worldI Love Brownies is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,461 Posts
Groans: 371
Groaned at 62 Times in 39 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

IIRC we come stock with forged internals
I Love Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
COOL STORY BRO

Hamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,207 Times in 1,171 Posts
Groans: 179
Groaned at 179 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
You don't want to load your engine at such low rpm's. Many of us believe this is why we had issues with popped motors back in the day. This turbo is really too small for our cars, its spools too quickly. That's why most of us play the "no wot until 3000" game.

Also, name another car you've had where you floor it at 2500 in order to accelerate quickly.
bmw z3 2.8, 2007 mustang gt, just 2 off the top of my head

JBR 3.5" WHALE PENIS-su tmic- sure track urethane rmm- corksport catless 3" downpipe- ultimate racing tp-OBX 3" cat back -rally armor urethane flaps-Cobb Accessport FINKLE TUNED-sure shift anchors-autotech hpfp internals-HKS BOV VTA -jbr heavy shift knob- 245-40-r18 Falken 329's-paint matched uber smiley
ZOOM ZOOM BOOM
Hamilton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #6

Amazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the worldAmazon is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't be a tard Hams, you don't floor a car like those at 2500 to accelerate quickly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amazon For This Useful Post:
easy (03-10-2011), xsilent13x (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #7

rfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the worldrfinkle2 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms307nm View Post
IIRC we come stock with forged internals

There is some debate as to whether the type of forging (powder forging) is as strong as forging seen in more robust rods.

I've had other forced induction cars tuned much differently. I.E. full boost was reached a great deal earlier in the rev band.

I don't need to wot under 3,000 rpms, but I'd like to understand the mechanical aspects of the recommendation.
The Following User Says Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
I Love Brownies (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
COOL STORY BRO

Hamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the worldHamilton69 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,207 Times in 1,171 Posts
Groans: 179
Groaned at 179 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't be a tard Hams, you don't floor a car like those at 2500 to accelerate quickly.
i joke i joke, tried to think of the 2 fastest race cars ive ever driven! lol both are fun but ya its definatly 3,000/3,500 with those too

JBR 3.5" WHALE PENIS-su tmic- sure track urethane rmm- corksport catless 3" downpipe- ultimate racing tp-OBX 3" cat back -rally armor urethane flaps-Cobb Accessport FINKLE TUNED-sure shift anchors-autotech hpfp internals-HKS BOV VTA -jbr heavy shift knob- 245-40-r18 Falken 329's-paint matched uber smiley
ZOOM ZOOM BOOM
Hamilton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

bastard!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

Ckmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,065 Posts
Groans: 134
Groaned at 22 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I always follow the no wot under 3k rule, and I actually wait til 3.3-3.5k, because I get 2kr pretty regularly if I don't... Don't know if that is related or not.

I too would love to hear an answer regarding the partial throttle boosting though.
Ckmazdaspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ckmazdaspeed3 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #11

myslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is what I have read. If you look at a dyno sheet for our car on stock turbo, we make an enormous amount of torque within that range. No wot until 3000 makes sense if you are in a taller gear. I assume it is fine in a lower gear, but you dont want to be going 65 and mash it in 6th. That is more stressful on the engine than if you were to downshift.

Jack Stand Race Car - 1991 Aquamarine Pearl MR2.
myslow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to myslow1 For This Useful Post:
Masterofnone (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by myslow1 View Post
This is what I have read. If you look at a dyno sheet for our car on stock turbo, we make an enormous amount of torque within that range. No wot until 3000 makes sense if you are in a taller gear. I assume it is fine in a lower gear, but you dont want to be going 65 and mash it in 6th. That is more stressful on the engine than if you were to downshift.
Because...? centrifugal force puts less stress on the rods when spinning faster (an educated guess on my part) ?
BUT... that doesn't fit when I look @ Christian's calculated load on the datalogs. The load increases as rpm's increase, @ least in the datalogs.

What is the differentiation between say 250 ft lbs @ 3000 rpms vs 4,000 rpms?

I've searched but cannot find an answer.
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #13

myslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the worldmyslow1 is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

if you are in 1st-2nd gear and you floor it at 2500 RPM you move through the RPMS quicker than if you are in 3rd-6th. You have a load on the engine for a longer time... That is what I get out of the whole thing.

I have never read the part throttle boosting though. I do it all the time in town.

I dont think there is a "safe" answer though. If you drive your car like an idiot it isnt going to last.

Jack Stand Race Car - 1991 Aquamarine Pearl MR2.
myslow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #14

wankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the worldwankular is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,537 Times in 2,045 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My 2000 auto. Protege.

Although I couldn't really pass anything at any RPM at any speed in that car.
Amazon (03-10-2011), DaleNixon (03-10-2011), myslow1 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #15

03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world
Groans: 26
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

if mazda diddnt put a rod shaped like this in our cars it wouldnt be a issue.
03scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
Banned

vatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the worldvatordoc is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 15 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My old APR stage 3 Audi Allroad, had over 300ftlbs @ 2100rpm on race fuel. 6th gear wot on the highway to pass was astounding for a 4400 pound wagon. I miss that tranny, shifted like a dream.Don't miss the boat like pneumatic shocked handling.
vatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

The rods are fine, just need to be beefier for such low end torque. Jwilkins and several others are make over double the factory torque on stock rods. Its not necessarily how much you make as it is where you make it at.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amazon For This Useful Post:
4G63 (03-10-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #18

Davy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the worldDavy180 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have driven customers $100k+ Porsches at WOT under 3k, with less than 10 miles on them. I have also replaced a case on a GT3 RS engine and the next day the customer tracked the car.
Davy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #19

triplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the worldtriplejumper18 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,226 Posts
Groans: 196
Groaned at 57 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Davy180 View Post
I have driven customers $100k+ Porsches at WOT under 3k, with less than 10 miles on them. I have also replaced a case on a GT3 RS engine and the next day the customer tracked the car.
Cool?
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

You had to bring in a super car?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #21

03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world03scgt is the leader of the world
Groans: 26
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

lolol was the gt3rs a 11 that was blue and gold?

and i was in 5th at 40mph and about 1400rpms with my 600hp mustang full throttle racing friends all the time.its only mazda that has this problem,i dont see vw's doing it

and if the rods were fine then they wouldnt blow if you went full throttle even at 1krpms.yes some hold up but most dont
03scgt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 03scgt For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #22

DaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the worldDaleNixon is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,496 Times in 624 Posts
Groans: 91
Groaned at 17 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I miss the days when I was ignorant and passing people lazily in 6th. I loved the massive low rpm torque! Guess you can't really have that w/o consequence in a 4 banger turbo.
Gay car #1: 2001 Miata (Gay White)

Gay car #2: 2011 Mazda 2 (Gay Blue)
DaleNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaleNixon For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (03-10-2011), easy (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #23

frivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,340 Times in 743 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 44 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Everybody needs to keep in mind the OP was on shout one day and argued with about 7 people saying that there is absolutely no need to monitor anything if your tuned. Specifically protuned. So hes gonna blow anyways.
bcmountainspeed (03-13-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (03-10-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by DaleNixon View Post
I miss the days when I was ignorant and passing people lazily in 6th. I loved the massive low rpm torque! Guess you can't really have that w/o consequence in a 4 banger turbo.

Please don't get me wrong, I understand this car could possibly be more fragile @ lower rpm's, but not all 4 cylinder turbo charged engines are subject to these limitations.

That is why I asked what is going on mechanically, and I'm not sure that any of us have figured it out yet.
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #25

trf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the worldtrf5000 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,432 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

From my understanding, when you are making more torque at low RPMs, you are putting more stress on the rod and bearings for a longer time. This allows more time for the excess torque to force out oil from between the rod bearing and the crank journals. Over time, this could create excess wear due to the lack of lubrication on the bearing/journal and cause zoom-zoom boom.

trf5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trf5000 For This Useful Post:
Ckmazdaspeed3 (03-10-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #26

WRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the worldWRX_Fan_0717 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think he meant PTFB....PTFB is almost impossible (to an extent) with a properly regulated EBCS.

With a Bleed type MBC it is very possible. You can hit 22psi at 30% TPS = bad joo joo.

Mainly mid-sized turbo's running big boost and a bleed MBC (they boost to target as fast as possible) have problems with part throttle full boost.

i still don't use more than 7psi or so in traffic part throttle...it isn't good for the car and usually factory maps at higher g/rev load tables are lean. 3200 at 2.5+ g/rev = 12.4-13.5 give or take. You get some bad gas and you could have some big det.

Also you can go WOT in the lower gear whenever you want (1-3). if the rods were that frail they'd give at peak torque rather than "boost loading." I don't know why a Mazda would be any different. I might open the old Pro-tuner and look at the OL/CL fueling triggers. Maybe it has a RPM delay on OL fueling.....nothing i can think of other than it's a wife's tale.
But you NEVER NEVER go WOT in a cruise or OD gear in a FI car that's common sense. downshift or use less than 50% TPS and 10psi to pass.
Daily Driver: 2010 Black Mica MS3, Cobb SRI, Cobb AP, AWR RMM, Autotech Internals, 5k DDM HIDs, JBarone SSP and Weighted Knob, Ultimate Racing Exhaust, Street-Unit Test-Pipe, eBay Cat-less DP, 17x9 MB Battles--Neo-Chrome lugs, and some BC Extreme Drop Coilovers.
Dig Monster: Fully built-High Comp 2.56 WRX/STi brid, BC 280s cams w/ ported & built +1/+2 heads, Precision Billet Dual-BB-CEA 6266 turbo, STi 6spd, and lots of anti-lag.
Drift Missile: S13 240sx, 95' KA24DE swap, slammed, welded diff....slidetastic.
Bike: Kawi-636 Ninja lowered and stretched with a "few" bolts-ons
Tow Whore: F250 SuperDuty 6-speed 7.3 International Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
WRX_Fan_0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WRX_Fan_0717 For This Useful Post:
4G63 (03-10-2011), breakfstincluded (07-25-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (03-10-2011), DaleNixon (03-10-2011), easy (03-10-2011), Masterofnone (03-10-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011), therapist510 (03-03-2013)
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by letsfightrobbb View Post
Everybody needs to keep in mind the OP was on shout one day and argued with about 7 people saying that there is absolutely no need to monitor anything if your tuned. Specifically protuned. So hes gonna blow anyways.
I never, and I'm sure those other people on the shout that day will agree, said that one doesn't have to monitor anything.

I stated that I will not be monitoring kr every time I go WOT once protuned.
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #28

TheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

I never, and I'm sure those other people on the shout that day will agree, said that one doesn't have to monitor anything.

I agree, to a degree. After you get your tune fine tuned and spot on, i dont think you have to monitor KR EVERYTIME you drive your car. During tuning process and maybe at the track. If you get some minor mods and get a tune and leave it that way for a year...just do a log every now and again to make sure everything is still spot on. If you log, log KR..if you are just driving around casually and not logging, i dont feel the need. my 2 cents. . fwiw

2011 MS3-purchased Feb 5 2011-Daily Driver: Sure R3 RMM, DDM 6K lows, DDM 6k Fogs
2006 300SRT8-600hp gone and missed
2009 Challenger RT gone and missed
TheMush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMush For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #29

zx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the worldzx2man is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,351 Times in 550 Posts
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

No one has really proved this no wot @ below 3k shit. There was alot of talk about it when motors were poping couple years back, some statements were said that had some credible evidence, so alot of if just to play it "safe" adapted the dam rule. But its not written in stone. cld12pk2go is running 350+ wtq on his car and he flat out says that he floors it whenever he wants, and zero issues. And hes a fairly smart motherfucker on here.

If it makes you "feel" better than just dont wot before 3 k. Honestly I dont, more than the fact that in the first couple gears, Ill just wheel spin more so whats the point.

One thing is for sure, people are rarely blowing their motors now. So is it better tuning&fueling...or scared people who always keep wot after 3k? Are a mixture of both...who knows...I do think that avoiding unnessary stress on the rods is good if you can help it, you wont see me "floor" it @ 60 mph in 6th gear....but I do believe the No wot below 3k is overrated.

2009 MS3
COBB AP
COBB INTAKE
COBB/TURBOXS TBE
DNP TURBO MANIFOLD
CXRACING FMIC
TURBOSMART BPV
JBARONE RMM
TURBOSMART BPV
JBARONE SHIFTERPLATE
COBB RSB
KONIG WHEELS/HANKOOK TIRES
TIM BAILEY PROTUNE 291WHP/310WTQ *AWD MUSTANG DYNO*
zx2man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zx2man For This Useful Post:
BigjohnB20 (03-10-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #30

frivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the worldfrivolous_rob is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,340 Times in 743 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 44 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TheMush View Post
I agree, to a degree. After you get your tune fine tuned and spot on, i dont think you have to monitor KR EVERYTIME you drive your car. During tuning process and maybe at the track. If you get some minor mods and get a tune and leave it that way for a year...just do a log every now and again to make sure everything is still spot on. If you log, log KR..if you are just driving around casually and not logging, i dont feel the need. my 2 cents. . fwiw
I leave it at my original statement. He is retracting what he said in the shout. He didnt just say KR and got blasted by a bunch of us on there. So now hes taking it back. And no tune is flawless. An engine is an engine. Shit happens. let him go WOT thru all the gears with knock and blow because his tune "shouldve" solved it. Nothing perfect.
I Love Brownies (03-10-2011)
The Following 4 Users Say NO Thank You to frivolous_rob For This Un-useful Post:
indianaryan (03-11-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011), Teethkikr (03-11-2011), zpele (03-14-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #31

indianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the worldindianaryan is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I leave it at my original statement. He is retracting what he said in the shout. He didnt just say KR and got blasted by a bunch of us on there. So now hes taking it back. And no tune is flawless. An engine is an engine. Shit happens. let him go WOT thru all the gears with knock and blow because his tune "shouldve" solved it. Nothing perfect.
He's trying to learn, and you're not helping. Who cares what he said in the shout? He's asking for the logic behind the concept. He's not saying that it's ok to go WOT under 3k rpm. He's asking legitimate questions.
indianaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to indianaryan For This Useful Post:
BAT-man (01-14-2014), bcmountainspeed (03-13-2011), breakfstincluded (07-25-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (03-10-2011), Matt1684 (03-11-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011), Teethkikr (03-11-2011), zpele (03-14-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #32

TheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of lightTheMush is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

I didnt see the chat conversation...but not monitoring anything is pretty dumb, and never logging is dumb. But just going by what he posted there "Im not gonna monitor KR everytime i drive"...i agree with. But i also believe in logging every X amount of time, as you are right, mechanical functionality changes as parts wear etc..which means the tune is now not accurate.

Edit- in addition..i do think its very important to keep very keen on how your car reacts, operates and responds to user input, and never go lazy on that. You can pick up alot of early warnings by listening and feeling your car everytime you drive it.

2011 MS3-purchased Feb 5 2011-Daily Driver: Sure R3 RMM, DDM 6K lows, DDM 6k Fogs
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMush For This Useful Post:
4G63 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #33

4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world4G63 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,043 Times in 786 Posts
Groans: 123
Groaned at 157 Times in 79 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why wouldn't you? What's it hurt? If u were smart you'd datalog every WOT pull you do. Cool if ur protuned so was many other people who blew. Datalog EVERY PULL and check yout figures. How else will u know when ur fuel pressure is under 1600 or ur holding KR up in the 3-5 range under a high rpm? Don't be stupid it isn't that hard to press a god damn button and log your shit

BUILD PLANS: LR 2.0/2.4, 6466, 800+whp. Shooting for 9s at full weight. Time is on my side, gonna take forever.

Old: 2009 White MS3. Fully bolted and tuned. Sold

Last edited by 4G63; 03-10-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Fucking autocorrect spelling on iPhone
4G63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to 4G63 For This Un-useful Post:
rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush View Post
Why wouldn't you? What's it hurt? If u were smart you'd datalog every WOT pull you do. Cool if ur protuned so was many other people who blew. Datalog EVERY PULL and check yout figures. How else will u know when ur fuel pressure is under 1600 or ur holding KR up in the 3-5 range under a high rpm? Don't be stupid it isn't that hard to press a god damn button and log your shit
I didn't create this thread to argue. Anyone can monitor whatever they please @ anytime they please.

I am not retracting anything, I had an AFR and boost gauge in all of my other FI cars, and have a boost gauge in this one.

I feel that this thread has legitimacy.
The Following User Says Thank You to rfinkle2 For This Useful Post:
4G63 (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,369 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

WOT at lower RPMS - high torque at lower RPMS - causes more stress on the rods and rotating assembly similarly to lugging an engine. Oil film breaks down more readily in bearings since oil pressure is lower and since piston speed is slower. You run a higher risk of detonating since the mixture is compressed over a longer time period and has time to heat and ignite.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
bcmountainspeed (03-13-2011), Blackspeed (03-11-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (03-10-2011), DaleNixon (03-10-2011), FistPump20fo7 (06-29-2013), kmac (03-10-2011), LizardKing (03-11-2011), Magic Mirrer (09-10-2013), pingaboo (06-08-2012), Raymond (06-27-2013), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011), therapist510 (03-03-2013), thyne (10-03-2013), trf5000 (03-10-2011), zpele (03-14-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #36

Ckmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the worldCkmazdaspeed3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,065 Posts
Groans: 134
Groaned at 22 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by indianaryan View Post
He's trying to learn, and you're not helping. Who cares what he said in the shout? He's asking for the logic behind the concept. He's not saying that it's ok to go WOT under 3k rpm. He's asking legitimate questions.
+1

Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush View Post
To each there own. I try to make sure to monitor regularly, but I think that monitoring every pull really takes the fun out of driving... If I'm going to the grocery store or going to dinner w my GF, I'm not going to plug in my AP just so I can get on it... There is being responsible with a car, and then there is overkill IMO.

Oh, and great info wrx fan!
Ckmazdaspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ckmazdaspeed3 For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (03-10-2011), TheMush (03-10-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ckmazdaspeed3 View Post
+1

To each there own. I try to make sure to monitor regularly, but I think that monitoring every pull really takes the fun out of driving... If I'm going to the grocery store or going to dinner w my GF, I'm not going to plug in my AP just so I can get on it... There is being responsible with a car, and then there is overkill IMO.

Oh, and great info wrx fan!
+1

Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
WOT at lower RPMS - high torque at lower RPMS - causes more stress on the rods and rotating assembly similarly to lugging an engine. Oil film breaks down more readily in bearings since oil pressure is lower and since piston speed is slower. You run a higher risk of detonating since the mixture is compressed over a longer time period and has time to heat and ignite.
What are your thoughts on part throttle boosting?

For the record, I never suggested, not even for a second, that you should not monitor your car. I stated that I would not be logging every time I go wot, and I will also not be watching KR every time I go WOT.

I wish everyone nothing but the best with their cars, even the poster(s) who felt it necessary to interject what he'd like to think that I stated.
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #39

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,689 Posts
Groans: 59
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Guys and Girls,

-Is the only solution to this problem non-powder forged internals?

1) this relate directly to the mechanical limitations of the high pressure fuel pump.. At low rpms the pump has issues flowing enough fuel and maintaining fuel pressure. It's not exactly a rule, but a good guideline to follow whenever possible..

2) the ecu's transition from closed loop to open loop isn't very predictable, especially in part throttle situations.. Once this motor is mildly modified it is very easy to get 10+psi of boost at almost any rpm with very little throttle input... 10psi at 2500rpm and 30% throttle input + low fuel pressure and the ECU still targeting AFR's in the high 13's = BOOM.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
kmac (03-10-2011), Masterofnone (03-10-2011), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011), Teethkikr (03-11-2011)
 Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #40

kmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the worldkmac is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,256 Times in 1,244 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

We also have to realize this is a 2.3 4cyl. We can't expect it to make v8 4.6cobra numbers not built. Let's look at it this way if this was a cobra and we were making 320-350 wtq at 3k fine not a problem now if we where trying to make 640-700wtq not built at 3k u would be picking your shit up off the street. It's all relative so making 320-.350 wheel torque at3k not possible stock well it is but not for long. cyl pressures are way to high at that rpm. My personal opinion is if u go bigger turbo u will have less problems. Now we also run into the problem of not having a big power hand now due to the fact of the cams lose power at 6700 so not much of a power band. If u do cams and a big turbo with some springs and retainers to eliminate float and a vct so u can rev I think a stock block could run a great time with a good power band and make some sick power.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmac For This Useful Post:
Burger2002 (03-14-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (03-10-2011), mymps11 (06-26-2013), rfinkle2 (03-10-2011)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f427/no-wot-below-3-000-rpms-no-74519/
Posted By For Type Date
Big Torque at Low RPMs This thread Refback 07-08-2015 10:26 AM
VersaTuner: ????????, ??????????, ????? ?????? This thread Refback 08-14-2013 06:59 AM