register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By g00s3y
  • 1 Post By zenit
  • 1 Post By 5doorsoffury
  • 1 Post By g00s3y

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

The_Boost_Buddha is just really niceThe_Boost_Buddha is just really niceThe_Boost_Buddha is just really niceThe_Boost_Buddha is just really nice
Groans: 0
Groaned at 33 Times in 12 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Pulling stock K04, Veterans please advise

So where the exhaust manifold bolts to the turbos hot side housing with 4 bolts started to leak, I tracked it down with LTFT and STFT. 2 studs were backed out and it was about an 1/8 separated, pretty bad leak. Story short I snapped off a stud inside the turbo housing. What set of tools am I gonna need specifically for the stud back out, and what are some of the known, "while your in their might as well do this too" mods/fixes that should be done. Know any links for a k04-22 rebuild kit? Seals, gaskets? Lines replaced? Thanks guys.
ps: car is full bolt ons stage 3 gen pu

And please dear god don't say "BNR that shit and build the motor" lol

Last edited by The_Boost_Buddha; 08-10-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The_Boost_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to The_Boost_Buddha For This Un-useful Post:
g00s3y (08-12-2017), Neverlift (08-11-2017)
 Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

Colepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Find a machine shop that will take it out.

or, if there is some of the bolt sticking out you can grind flats on it so you can get a wrench on it or vise grips. If its still stuck drill a hole in it and use a easy out.

As for replacement stuff for sure the copper gasket between the turbo and the mani. I think edge auto also has replacement bolts and the gaskets.

P.S.

use PB blaster next time.
Colepidd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

The_Boost_Buddha is just really niceThe_Boost_Buddha is just really niceThe_Boost_Buddha is just really niceThe_Boost_Buddha is just really nice
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Man I know haha but I did I used PB blaster and used a dremel etcher to vibrate it loose (trade secret), and it still snapped while tightening. And I am a machine shop lol, I have a 1000 sq ft machine shop fully stocked. Every tool you can dream off. But what type of drill and back out and tap should be used. Any brands? Not new to engine building or effing exhaust bolts. Just not gonna pay someone and have access to most tools/gadgets
 Old 08-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Colepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond reputeColepidd55 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just get a easy out set and drill a hole ON CENTER then use an easy out. Start out small and work your way up to a bigger size drill. The bigger the easy out the more torque on the bolt. The key is to stay on center so that you don't fuck the threads up. I would soak that shit in PB blaster until you get it out.

Do you have a Manual Mill? that would make it 10X easier. set it up on the mill and drill it out.
 Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Of course I have a mill it wouldn't be a machine shop without one. If i remember correctly it was about $20,000 new so I trust it immensely. Ok yeah figured it would have to be a big hole, otherwise the easy out wouldn't have enough surface area far enough away from the rotational axis to apply enough torque to unstick it. Shweeeet

Then again a retard could use a 20k dollar mill and mess it up FUBAR but you get my point.

Last edited by The_Boost_Buddha; 08-10-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 08-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Reedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Please post pics when you mess it up. Thx.
Reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reedy For This Useful Post:
Colepidd55 (08-12-2017), g00s3y (08-12-2017), JSmith (08-12-2017), KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,070 Times in 914 Posts
Groans: 376
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You're a machine shop, but you don't know how to extract a bolt that snapped off?

Stage 3... lmao
sharksinspace likes this.
KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017), sharksinspace (08-13-2017)
 Old 08-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

[QUOTE=g00s3y;3125165]You're a machine shop, but you don't know how to extract a bolt that snapped off?

yeah..... I was skeptical too..
 Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #9
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,067 Times in 1,713 Posts
Groans: 520
Groaned at 169 Times in 106 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Colepidd55 View Post
yeah..... I was skeptical too..
you're a good dude
Colepidd55 (08-14-2017), KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #10

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How bad were your fuel trims with the 1/8 inch gap? I am trying to sort a possible leak myself. Found the drivers side bolts on the exhaust manifold to be a tiny bit loose - only an 1/8 of a turn to fully tighten though.
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #11

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,268 Posts
Groans: 88
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea you're not going to be able to use an easy out or anything like that on those studs. Think of how hot that gets and how many heat cycles it's been through. You're going to have to drill it out and tap, possibly add a helicoil. Ask me how I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2455.JPG (1.37 MB, 27 views)
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Djohns For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017), monkey.bones.007 (08-13-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #12

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,059 Times in 720 Posts
Groans: 43
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@The_Boost_Buddha; "BNR that shit and build the motor" lol
KiwiFlavor likes this.

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
Don

Don has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wait wait wait. You have a machine shop stocked with equipment but you're asking MSF on how to extract a stud???? I'm confused

Corksport catted turbo back
Corksport SRI W/TIP
Autotech internals
AP3 Running PD tune
Stock turbo. Waiting for it to go
Konig deception wheels
BC br coilovers

Oh yea..... I won the lottery!!!!!
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:
Djohns (08-13-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017), sharksinspace (08-13-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by speed23 View Post
How bad were your fuel trims with the 1/8 inch gap? I am trying to sort a possible leak myself. Found the drivers side bolts on the exhaust manifold to be a tiny bit loose - only an 1/8 of a turn to fully tighten though.
STFT 25% and LTFT 10%

Originally Posted by g00s3y View Post
You're a machine shop, but you don't know how to extract a bolt that snapped off?

Stage 3... lmao
I'm a machine shop, was a funny response to another guy. I am not a machinist no, and haven't had experience working in a machine shop. I just have 24 hr access to a machine shop. Don't have to be a dick, no idea what you get out of going out of your way to be a fuck ass. Sorry god gave you a little dick

Last edited by The_Boost_Buddha; 08-13-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Boost_Buddha For This Useful Post:
speed23 (08-13-2017)
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to The_Boost_Buddha For This Un-useful Post:
g00s3y (08-14-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #15

zenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the worldzenit is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by The_Boost_Buddha View Post
Don't have to be a dick, no idea what you get out of going out of your way to be a fuck ass. Sorry god gave you a little dick
Oh my. You're definitely new around here.
@Djohns; - that's just a regular K04, right?

"if anyone else acts a fool, we'll punish them to Roberts oil hut to discuss string alignment technique"
-wetzel
 Old 08-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #16

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zenit View Post
Oh my. You're definitely new around here.
@Djohns; - that's just a regular K04, right?
Yea just a regular ko4, that happened a little while ago.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Djohns For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017), zenit (08-13-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #17

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 66
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

used a dremel etcher to vibrate it loose (trade secret)
Funny i thought shit like torching and kroil on exhaust bolts were trade secrets you must know what your doing.

And I am a machine shop lol, I have a 1000 sq ft machine shop fully stocked.
Sounds like a pro to me.

I am not a machinist no, and haven't had experience working in a machine shop. I just have 24 hr access to a machine shop
Sooooooooo why the fuck wouldnt you ask a machinist who works there to help you......

Of course I have a mill it wouldn't be a machine shop without one. If i remember correctly it was about $20,000 new so I trust it immensely.
I would trust a epileptic teen with a strobe light drill after 5 beers with my turbo before i would trust you with a 20k machine. You sound like an ass hat throwing big words and numbers to look impressive since you cant figure out how to deal with a snapped stud. IMHO you shoulda just googled how to drill and tap broken stud since it is common and there isnt any exotic metals here....

You should just bnr that shit and build the motor.:
thatguy0o0 likes this.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1// Air Lift 1000 in rear
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 5doorsoffury For This Useful Post:
Djohns (08-13-2017), g00s3y (08-14-2017), KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017), Pu Manchu (08-13-2017), zenit (08-13-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 5doorsoffury View Post
Funny i thought shit like torching and kroil on exhaust bolts were trade secrets you must know what your doing.

Sounds like a pro to me.

Sooooooooo why the fuck wouldnt you ask a machinist who works there to help you......

I would trust a epileptic teen with a strobe light drill after 5 beers with my turbo before i would trust you with a 20k machine. You sound like an ass hat throwing big words and numbers to look impressive since you cant figure out how to deal with a snapped stud. IMHO you shoulda just googled how to drill and tap broken stud since it is common and there isnt any exotic metals here....

How hot would said teen be and approximate age for legal purposes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Djohns For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-13-2017, 11:21 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
How hot would said teen be and approximate age for legal purposes.
Bahahahahahaha winning
 Old 08-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #20

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

STFT 25% and LTFT 10%

I'm a machine shop, was a funny response to another guy. I am not a machinist no, and haven't had experience working in a machine shop. I just have 24 hr access to a machine shop. Don't have to be a dick, no idea what you get out of going out of your way to be a fuck ass. Sorry god gave you a little dick
Don't be sorry, your girl said it was the best she's ever had.

You don't know how to remove something from a hole. I wouldn't expect you to know how to put something in one correctly either.
Djohns (08-14-2017), Jonb82 (08-15-2017), KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017), sharksinspace (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Bahahahahahaha winning
This is what I hear:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bahahahahahaha-winning.jpg (44.8 KB, 16 views)

-wetzel
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
Djohns (08-14-2017), g00s3y (08-15-2017), KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017), sharksinspace (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-15-2017, 05:07 AM   #22

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't be sorry, your girl said it was the best she's ever had.

You don't know how to remove something from a hole. I wouldn't expect you to know how to put something in one correctly either.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #23

Jonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 5doorsoffury View Post

Sounds like a pro to me.

Holy fuck! "I would trust an epileptic teen with a strobe light drill after 5 beers...", you sir are my hero today

Sent while probably pooping
CS TIP/SRI CS RMM CS Sexy Steering Wheel CS Springs & Struts CS Shirt Throw Shifter CS Shifter Bushings CS TBE CS Boost Tubes CP-e TMIC HKS BOV in resirc DM Vented OCC DM TMM DM PMM DM SSP Autotech Internals Custom E33 Freaktune
Jonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonb82 For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

You guys rock! Anyway back to the reason this thread was started, are there any, "while you're in the might as well" mods or replacements I should do, and are there any NON EBAY, NON CHINESE k04-22 rebuild kits available to us
 Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #25

Reedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the worldReedy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

The K04 is not serviceable. Buy a new one or upgrade to an ATP bolt on.
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Reedy For This Un-useful Post:
g00s3y (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #26

KiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the worldKiwiFlavor is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,437 Times in 871 Posts
Groans: 14
Not Ranked  0 score     

Buy a BNR and build that motor.

BNR S3 - JBR Tru 3.0" - CP-E TMIC - Corksport catless DP - Corksport race pipe - Forge V2 - Autotech internals + AP v3 - Swift springs - Enkei RPF1 17x9 + 45 (5mm JBR spacers in the front)
KiwiFlavor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KiwiFlavor For This Useful Post:
5doorsoffury (08-16-2017), Djohns (08-16-2017), Fstrnyou (08-16-2017), g00s3y (08-16-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017), zenit (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
The K04 is not serviceable. Buy a new one or upgrade to an ATP bolt on.
Wow, that's amazing. How was I able to rebuild mine, when I was still k04, if that's the case?
 Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Probably by wasting your money. What parts did you actually replace? The advice I've been given is its not designed to be serviceable. Maybe that was a translation for not worth doing.

Edit: You're right, but the kits are out of spec right out of the box so in some cases it's abit of a lottery. (Just checked to make sure, that's the reason why my guy won't do them)

Last edited by Reedy; 08-16-2017 at 06:43 PM.
 Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow, that's amazing. How was I able to rebuild mine, when I was still k04, if that's the case?
Did you use a kit from eBay or otherwise?
 Old 08-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

In order of priority, please:

#1 - search noob

#2 - suck it

-wetzel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zenit For This Useful Post:
Djohns (08-16-2017), MD1032 (08-17-2017), sharksinspace (08-16-2017)
 Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #31

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ive been using a rebuilt ebay parts ko4 for 60k miles. Going strong still.

Edit: This is the guy I bought mine from - apparently sold 20 and no issues with ebay kit. Somewhere in his posts I recall him saying exactly which kit he used:

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...lt-k04-191182/

That said, the PITA it is to switch on the 6, I would just go BNR stage 3.

Last edited by speed23; 08-17-2017 at 06:15 AM.
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #32

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Probably by wasting your money. What parts did you actually replace? The advice I've been given is its not designed to be serviceable. Maybe that was a translation for not worth doing.

Edit: You're right, but the kits are out of spec right out of the box so in some cases it's abit of a lottery. (Just checked to make sure, that's the reason why my guy won't do them)
its a lottery because its ebay. If you buy the kit from a respectable turbo service shop you'll be just fine. Keep in mind there are several versions of the K04(think vw). Its EASIER to just buy a bnr/cs, that doesn't mean that the K04 doesn't have potential. The problem is/was that people wanted silly money to modify the K04 that approached the prices of just getting a bnr/cs upgrade. There are several issues/limitations with the stock unit, but that doesnt automatically mean its garbage. Got an extra $1200 to spend on an upgrade have at it, but you can make plenty of power on the stocker.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

It was before I started having everything automatically backed up by google photos, so this is the only photo I have of it. Everything worked perfectly fine after, no loss of any kind, no problems of any kind.

People really need to chill with all the ebay hate. It's no longer the clusterfuck it was 10+ years ago with 75% of the products being garbage. Its basically the site to get shit from china for cheap, since it's the same place a "name brand rebuild kid" is coming from also.
Bexar likes this.