register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #1

ysaliens can only hope to improve
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Replacement clutch hard to drive?

I had a shop replace the original clutch in my 2013 Mazdaspeed 3.
The original clutch was very worn out.
They used a Duralast clutch kit (I didn't know).

Before clutch replacement:
- Clutch pedal was very light and easy to press
- Clutch engaged somewhere around the middle or towards the top of the pedal
- Very easy to drive

After clutch replacement:
- Clutch pedal stiffer, harder to press
- Clutch engages ~1cm off the floor...essentially you have to JAM the pedal to the firewall and it will engage in the last 1cm of travel.
- Very hard to drive...engagement point is very short...like an on/off. Combined with a hard to press pedal and the engagement point being all the way at the firewall, I have stalled a fair bit.

I asked the shop and they say that is how a new clutch is supposed to feel - it may settle a bit. I researched and there doesn't appear to be any adjustment for the clutch in these Speeds. Is this how a new clutch is supposed to feel? Was it a bad install?
ysaliens is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #2

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,689 Posts
Groans: 59
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

According to the manual the pedal should start engaging the clutch about 2.5" from the floor and be fully engaged .91" lower.

If its engaging at the floor you could check for air in the line, but they wouldnt have needed to open them unless you got a new slave cylinder..

IMO, the shop needs to fix it, especially if they chose that clutch kit.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #3

ysaliens can only hope to improve
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It is engaging pretty much at the floor though has been "settling in" slowly. I have 50 miles on the clutch so far and it's a smidge better.

The engagement area is still relatively small though and pedal is still hard to press (compared to OEM clutch).

Do clutches have break-in/settle period - and how long? I doubt they machined the flywheel when installing the new clutch.
ysaliens is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #4

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,689 Posts
Groans: 59
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've always given a new street clutch 300-500 miles to break in, the clutch disk and flywheel surfaces will wear together slightly. Not machining or replacing the flywheel means any damage/surface glazing is still there.

I can't belive an actual mechanic would bill the labor that this job costs and not at least recommend a quality clutch and flywheel kit.

Not machining or replacing the flywheel is just asking for trouble.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #5

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

before blasting the mechanic shop i would ask the price paid and which kind of clutch and parts to they put?

A well done clutch job would be to install a new flywheel along the clutch kit. And doing so may easily bring the bill between 1500-2000$....You may have got what you paid for...

Unless they know the limited amount of shop that could surface a dual mass flywheel it need to be replaced. If you don't, as stated above, the uneven surface on one side will damage the new disk. Like installing new brake pads on a rusted rotor....
And trying to do it redneck style may end up bad also...

According to what they did install, it is likely to not be as smooth as it was from factory.
If you replace a dual mass with a single mass, you likely lose some ''comfort'' by losing mass energy (less weight) but mostly the flex in the middle of the wheel that react like a rubber drive shaft flexing under load to help beginners drivers.

And because you burned the oem one, they may have chosen a stronger one that comes with harder pressure plate springs or maybe a 6 puck disc instead of the oem organic one. At the end, you get a stronger and quicker clutch that needs a little more work for the driver.

I loved mine for spirited driving but during winter traffic jam i was missing my oem....

So you can have the pedal travel corrected but for the rest, it won't change much unless you get another clutch kit again.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The ACT 6-puck clutch in my 6 is BARELY more pedal effort than stock. More grabby than stock with 6-puck, but I was used to it after a day or so. Engagement point was similar to stock.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #7

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

My Southbend S2 Endurance engaged on the floor when it was new, just as you described. In fact, some mornings it was hard to get into reverse because it would engage a bit even at the floor. I had Slave Cylinder replaced, too. Over time, it has gradually moved more towards the middle on it's own.

I think a combination of the break in period and the normal self adjustment of our clutch system causes this. It's very annoying at first, but should get better with time.

As far as the on/off switch feel of the engagement, my stock clutch always felt like that from new. The Southbend I got is similar, but a little less so.

If it's drivable, I'd give it at least a few hundred miles to see if it starts breaking in.
Current Performance Mods: APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30 | JBR 3.0 SRI | ETS TMIC w/JBR Red Tubes | SpeedDaddy TP | AT HPFP | Damond Triple Mounted | Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Enkei PF01 18x8.5 +48 | Continental EC Sport 245/40R18 | KWv2 Coilovers | Whiteline LCA Bushings, Anti-Lift, & Bump Steer | Whiteline Endlinks | JBR .125 FSB & RSB w/billet bushings/mounts | CS Lower Tie Bar | DM OCC w/VTA | JBR Shifter Bushings
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX | Phoenix Gold 6.5" Comps Front | Focal 6.5 Coax Rears | Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure | PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
Other Mods: FIAMM 72112 Low Note Horn alongside stock
Mods Awaitting Install: Redline Leather Center Armrest & Handbrake Boot
Future Mods: Injector Seals | Built Block & BNR S3v2 if ZZB
Removed Mods: JBR 70A RMM | Koni STR.T Orange Shocks
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #8

Db09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 94
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My OEM setup was grabby as fuck and a little heavy. Now that I have the LuK replacement and fidanza FW with new OEM slave cylinder it does feel super light/easy, pedal feel wise.
 Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

LuK is OEM. So your difference in feel can only be attributed to the flywheel change.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #10

Db09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 94
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Perhaps