register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #1

Eric_Williams will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default shifting issues

Yes title is vauge, yes i searched for a few hours trying to find a simler problem but no ones sounds similer.

Driving to work this morning i down shift from 4th -3rd then 3rd trying togo into 2nd but i had to force my shifter over to the left then it would go into gear just fine but as soon as i left the 1st-2nd area and wend to 3rd i would have to force it back to the left to get it into 1st or 2nd. this happens from a dead stom and rolling. its not popping out of gear but just have to force the shifter from side to side. do i just need to adjust some stuff? 2012 speed 3 with 1800mi

thanks guys
Eric_Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

CaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the worldCaptObvious75 is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This going from 3rd to 2nd then 1st 2nd to 3rd business is confusing. Please use proper sentences so we better understand what you are trying to get at
 Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #3

bigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the worldbigriver is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,083 Times in 494 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe driving skool?
StayBroke (06-08-2012)
 Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Hide Yo Kids-No really, Hide them!

Voltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the worldVoltron is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,305 Times in 3,625 Posts
Groans: 77
Groaned at 24 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Spellcheck homie. I cannot, for the life of me, understand what you're trying to describe. And I'm pretty fluent in retard.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voltron For This Useful Post:
CWP_MS3 (06-08-2012), StayBroke (06-08-2012)
 Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Banned

dantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the worlddantes5823 is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,580 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have an idea....i haz read the lost folk language. What i think he is saying is that he can move the lever over to the 1-2nd gear side somthly. OP have you done a ssp or something? The only time i have seen someone with this issue is when they had the jbr ssp on a stock air box. The connection would rub on the box and not allow for a smooth transition over. Check you lines by the linkage over the trans and take apart your console and take a look down there.
dantes5823 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #6

Eric_Williams will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry for the horriable spelling and half assed sentences, I get in a hurry and my mind goes into retard gear. It is actual side-to-side movement that it hangs up on not going into and out of gear.

dantes5823 the car is stock no SSP.

Took it to the dealer and i went for a ride with the tech. He felt it too but it would get better and then get worse while he was driving. He said he didnt know what would cause that and he was going to call mazda to see what they say.

I am about to rip the airbox out and se if for some reason it has been rubbing.

For the asshat that said "driving skool"
Eric_Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #7

silentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,258 Times in 696 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ya like @dantes5823 said.. check you linkage cables. sounds like they are catching on something. if you have a friend close by, have him/her come over and get into the car and shift the gears while clutch is engaged. doesnt really have to be on unless it only happends while on..

w/ airbox off watch cables and see if you can see a snag on something. has to be binding on something when moving the shifter to the left of the gear box.

also try clearing the transmission gate when you start the down shift.. sounds funny. but when you pull out of 3rd shift far right then back left to see maybe if you gears are catching.. this is called clearing you gate. DONT slam right then left just casually.

2013 SPW STi // COBB SRI w/Box // COBB BPV // UR Catless DP// UR CBE // COBB Lowering Springs // COBB Sway Bars // +1 NGK // DW65c FP

AWDTuning Tuned
silentwolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #8

SpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the worldSpankyCuervo is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,107 Times in 573 Posts
Groans: 9
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by silentwolf8 View Post
DONT slam right then left just casually.
Are you talking about moving the shifter from left to right while out of gear? I sometimes find myself bouncing it back and forth at a red light. Is that something I shouldn't be doing?
SpankyCuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

silentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,258 Times in 696 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SpankyCuervo View Post
Are you talking about moving the shifter from left to right while out of gear? I sometimes find myself bouncing it back and forth at a red light. Is that something I shouldn't be doing?
correct thats what im talkign about. no you CAN do that.. thats what im suggesting since he is having issues with shifting.. trial and error my friend... cause sometimes the gears might stick so you do that to get the gears in the proper place..

not saying that, thats the issue here but something to try since the car is constantly being driven.

2013 SPW STi // COBB SRI w/Box // COBB BPV // UR Catless DP// UR CBE // COBB Lowering Springs // COBB Sway Bars // +1 NGK // DW65c FP

AWDTuning Tuned
silentwolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #10

ibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the worldibcrusn is the leader of the world
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think I understand what you're getting at. Even though you don't have a SSP installed your shift linkage may need to be adjusted slightly. If you take a Dramamine and watch the video below it goes over the issue with the 2010+ shifter and adjusting it. Pop your cup holder out and the shift boot/cubby and you'll have easy access to the linkage. Take 5 mins give it a try and report back.

As a side note when in neutral the shifter sort of defaults to resting in between 2nd/3rd and you have to overcome the centering spring to go into 1/2 and 5/6.

Mazdaspeed 3 2010 Shifter linkage adjustments. - YouTube

Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better.
If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Sir Henry Royce

ibcrusn is offline   Reply With Quote