register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By [R]usty

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Ezekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Shop telling me I need a clutch

Here's the issue....

Friday on my way home I noticed my clutch was engaging /disengaging really low. Normally engages pretty high. Pedal felt soft. Shifting was a little laborious a few times but I didn't think much of it.

On Monday, it was doing the same thing on my way to work but occasionally the clutch pedal would stick to the floor for a split second before coming back up. A couple of times I was locked out of 4th for a second or two, had to convince it to go in.

Throwout bearing has been especially loud lately but I don't know if it got louder than normal or if that was due to the extreme cold we've had.

Took it to a shop and they cited the throwout bearing noise, soft clutch pedal feel, soft brake pedal feel, and the fact that they couldn't get into 4th a few times as cause for a new clutch. I did not check the master or slave cylinders though the reservoir was full so if it leaked for ~3days and ~130 miles I feel like I would've lost some fluid.

Based on what I've read here it seems some "common" indicators of clutch problems are normal with Speed's due to the TOB and the dual mass flywheel. Never had a problem until a few days ago. Does this sound reasonable? I don't want to shell out 1700 for a new clutch if I don't have to.

Car is 2011. 126K miles on stock clutch.

Cp-e | Cobb | JBR | Freektune
Ezekiel81923 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
dp3

dp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to beholddp3 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You may need a new clutch assembly, however your symptoms say that you need one of these: https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/p...0aAt-8EALw_wcB
13 MS3 Eibach Pro kit Springs, Koni Ylw. F and R, Tanabe strut tower brace, 25 MM rear bar,CPE R mount, ETS TMIC, Autotech HPFP, ITV-22, CS: CAI, Cold Air Box, Boost tubes, Race Pipe, front spoiler. Forge BPV, Hypertech tune, Amsoil fluids,Philips DV H-11's and 9505's, Traklite RPM 18x8 +45 offset rims, 15mm Ichiba spacers(F&R) Rolled fenders w 235-40 Y rubber, Tint, Remix Rear Lip, Radar detector.
dp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #3

Ezekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the worldEzekiel81923 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dp3 View Post
You may need a new clutch assembly, however your symptoms say that you need one of these: https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/p...0aAt-8EALw_wcB
Aside from the symptons already exhibited is there a way to tell if it's definitely bad? Are there visible signs on the mechanism itself?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 143
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ezekiel81923 View Post
Aside from the symptons already exhibited is there a way to tell if it's definitely bad? Are there visible signs on the mechanism itself?
Open the hood and look directly down at the front face of the trans. Check for signs of leaking on the slave cylinder. Inspect the rubber line for cracks. The master is bolted to the firewall. You have to remove the battery to see it.

Does your clutch slip under heavy loads? Like going uphill in 5th or 6th and the revs suddenly spike but the vehicle speed remains the same? If so, its definitely your clutch.

Considering you have TOB noise you might as well just replace the clutch and slave. Mine went out at 90K.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post

Does your clutch slip under heavy loads? Like going uphill in 5th or 6th and the revs suddenly spike but the vehicle speed remains the same? If so, its definitely your clutch.

Considering you have TOB noise you might as well just replace the clutch and slave. Mine went out at 90K.
I got up to 10-12lbs of boost a few times in 5th on my way to the shop to see if I could get it to sleep and it didn't slip but the road was relatively flat. I honestly don't think I've ever felt (or heard) my clutch slip since I bought the car 6 years ago.

I guess needing a new clutch is an inevitability at some point so I'm not opposed to having the work done if its needed. Clutch, pressure plate, TOB and pilot bearing is what they said they were doing. I'm sure if there's another issue they'll find it when they're in there. If clutch release is a problem they should notice right away once they're done the work I assume.

I don't have the car, it's sitting at the shop, so unfortunately I can't check some of this stuff now

Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #6

JakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the worldJakeMS3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 19
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I got up to 10-12lbs of boost a few times in 5th on my way to the shop to see if I could get it to sleep and it didn't slip but the road was relatively flat. I honestly don't think I've ever felt (or heard) my clutch slip since I bought the car 6 years ago.

I guess needing a new clutch is an inevitability at some point so I'm not opposed to having the work done if its needed. Clutch, pressure plate, TOB and pilot bearing is what they said they were doing. I'm sure if there's another issue they'll find it when they're in there. If clutch release is a problem they should notice right away once they're done the work I assume.

I don't have the car, it's sitting at the shop, so unfortunately I can't check some of this stuff now
You're at least installing an aftermarket clutch that can handle more torque right?

Cobb AP V3, CBE
CS Turbo tuned by PD
Corksport Catted DP/HPFP Internals
JBR FMIC Pipe Kit w/TR8
CP-E TIP/3.5" Intake
DM OCC/TMM
Forge V2 BPV
Bilstein B8 w/Swift springs
Wilwood 6 pot BBK
EBC RedStuff rear pads
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5"
JakeMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JakeMS3 View Post
You're at least installing an aftermarket clutch that can handle more torque right?
LUK clutch kit. Never had a problem with the stock clutch, don't forsee having the car more than 3 or 4 more years so I only need about 80k out of this one. That'd get me to 200k

Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Some places might not resurface the dual mass. If you can't get anyone to do it, you either don't do it at all or spend about 600-800 on a new one.
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #9

[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world[R]usty is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,248 Times in 819 Posts
Groans: 79
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Some places might not resurface the dual mass. If you can't get anyone to do it, you either don't do it at all or spend about 600-800 on a new one.
$514 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LW6CLJO...EFYMKM99&psc=0
Fstrnyou likes this.

Cobb AP V3JBR Tru 3" Wide PathJBR Boost Tubes & BPV HoseCobb XLE BPVCP-E TMIC ║ UR Racepipe ║ Magnaflow CBEAutoTech InternalsGrimmSpeed EBCS ║ JBR RSBSPC Camber ArmsKW V3 CoiloversJBR IM+TB TIGs & TB BypassJBR SSPE - Focus RMMStopTech Slotted Rotors and EBC Yellow Stuff PadsTechna-Fit SS Brake Lines

[R]usty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [R]usty For This Useful Post:
Fstrnyou (01-10-2018)
 Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
They made it sound like they wouldn't resurface it if it came to that so yea, I'm looking at a new flywheel if the existing one can't be reused for some reason.

Originally Posted by [R
Thanks! Good to know. Also on Rockauto for the same price. Nice to see I won't have to shell out $800 for one.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:02 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So it did need a flywheel. Explanation I got was the flywheel went bad somehow and the flywheel actually accelerated the demise of the clutch. I don't know if that makes sense, I understand clutches OK but the flywheel is a bit of a mystery to me.

Tried to charge me $1150 for one so I bought the one available on Amazon and dropped it off this morning. Hopefully that's it and I get my car back today. Will end up costing me about $2400 for a new clutch and flywheel.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #12

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 143
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So it did need a flywheel. Explanation I got was the flywheel went bad somehow and the flywheel actually accelerated the demise of the clutch. I don't know if that makes sense, I understand clutches OK but the flywheel is a bit of a mystery to me.

Tried to charge me $1150 for one so I bought the one available on Amazon and dropped it off this morning. Hopefully that's it and I get my car back today. Will end up costing me about $2400 for a new clutch and flywheel.
What clutch kit did you buy?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
What clutch kit did you buy?

Luk.

They picked up the Luk clutch kit when we were hoping I only needed a clutch so I'm sure I paid some kinda markup on that.

When I was quoted 1150 for the flywheel I told them I'd rather wait 2 days for Amazon to send me one instead.