register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LowFlyin

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

achulz has a spectacular aura aboutachulz has a spectacular aura aboutachulz has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Stock Short DP vs CS High Flow

I currently have a 3 test pipe and 3 Catback straight pipe, with the 3 test pipe having a reduced on the front that bolts to the OEM upper DP. My next upgrade is going to be a C-PE TMIC, but Im wondering if I would benefit from a high flow primary cat.

I also have a CS SRI and CS HPFP, just to get that out of the way.
achulz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well... What are your ultimate goals? I firmly believe that shitty downpipe install doesn't need to be approached unless you're going big turbo or trying to break stock turbo records
 Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

achulz has a spectacular aura aboutachulz has a spectacular aura aboutachulz has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
Well... What are your ultimate goals? I firmly believe that shitty downpipe install doesn't need to be approached unless you're going big turbo or trying to break stock turbo records
Not really, just want as much power from the stock turbo (without WMI) as possible, just not sure if replacing the stock cat with a high flow unit will really make enough of a difference to justify the $300 price.
 Old 06-15-2018, 02:43 AM   #4

Solarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

A 3" test pipe can give a 5% increase (10-12 WHP) very cheaply on a otherwise stock Speed3. That's why so many people do it. Getting a upper downpipe with a high flow cat won't give you much more, maybe 2%. It's not nearly as cost effective. A full 3" DP with or without high flow cat can give you over a 10% increase over stock because you're also removing the restriction of the 2.5" flange. However, the stock turbo is only physically capable of moving enough air to support around 300 WHP, so the closer you get to that number via other mods, the smaller your gains for any of it.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-15-2018, 03:33 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
A 3" test pipe can give a 5% increase (10-12 WHP) very cheaply on a otherwise stock Speed3. That's why so many people do it. Getting a upper downpipe with a high flow cat won't give you much more, maybe 2%. It's not nearly as cost effective. A full 3" DP with or without high flow cat can give you over a 10% increase over stock because you're also removing the restriction of the 2.5" flange. However, the stock turbo is only physically capable of moving enough air to support around 300 WHP, so the closer you get to that number via other mods, the smaller your gains for any of it.
Im already pushing 21 PSI now, I just flashed my Stratified tune this morning. As it is I think I wont really benefit from the DP, and if I do go for a full 3, Is have to change the test pipe as well. I have V-band clamps for the entire straight pipe and the race pipe, but I used the stock 2.5 flange to connect my custom race pipe and the DP together. So Id have to cut apart my test pipe and weld something else on to adapt it to a 3 downpipe.
 Old 06-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

LowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant future
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would do it personally after having done a few downpipe installs now. If you're the least bit mechanically inclined and have tools(mainly extensions/impact) then it is a simple task.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
LowFlyin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LowFlyin View Post
I would do it personally after having done a few downpipe installs now. If you're the least bit mechanically inclined and have tools(mainly extensions/impact) then it is a simple task.

Ive done engine rebuilds and custom turbo kits, also built an ECU myself. Im not worried about the install, I was wondering if $300 is really worth the small performance increase. To me it isnt, Id rather spend that money on a RMM or better TMIC.
 Old 06-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

LowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant futureLowFlyin has a brilliant future
Not Ranked  0 score     

I went with a catless ebay downpipe for a year or so then switched to a cracked cs dp I got basically free and fixed so no i agree not worth $300 unless bt.

Also sounds like you're a bit handy, its very easy to fab a crash bar to fit a tr10 fmic if you have a welder , much less prone to heatsoak than a tmic.
Originally Posted by achulz View Post
Ive done engine rebuilds and custom turbo kits, also built an ECU myself. Im not worried about the install, I was wondering if $300 is really worth the small performance increase. To me it isnt, Id rather spend that money on a RMM or better TMIC.

achulz likes this.
 Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LowFlyin View Post
I went with a catless ebay downpipe for a year or so then switched to a cracked cs dp I got basically free and fixed so no i agree not worth $300 unless bt.

Also sounds like you're a bit handy, its very easy to fab a crash bar to fit a tr10 fmic if you have a welder , much less prone to heatsoak than a tmic.

How much does that core cost? And what else would I need piping wise?
 Old 06-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

It was 250 or 300 I can't remember exactly , treadstone makes it. As for the piping, I ordered the cx racing fmic piping kit, about 200$ I think I paid for that new. Only extra piece besides a crash bar is 2.5-3" silicone couplers if you get a tr10, I'm about to go big turbo, if you're staying stock turbski just get a tr8 intercooler and you won't need the couplers.
Originally Posted by achulz View Post
How much does that core cost? And what else would I need piping wise?