register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andale927

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Nick0530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default To swap trans fluid, or not? Advice/experience appreciated

Hey everyone, so I have a '13 speed3 with about 58k miles on her.
I've been lurking the forums for a couple years while I waited to get my speed3, so I've seen tons of posts about the Ford trans fluid, redline, and unicorn specifically.

I'm not really experiencing any shifting problems, other than a little bitey/crunchy feel going into 2nd, and the same (but slightly different) feel going into 3rd. 3rd just feels like I'm forcing it into gear sometimes.
I plan on adjusting the cables next chance I get to cater it to my liking, as well as ordering a RMM in a week (not sure which one, leaning towards the CP-E for quality improvement while still being able to daily it without heavy NVH)

Basically looking for people'a opinions and experiences with swapping their trans fluid.
Was there a problem that caused you to swap?
What did/do you use?
How many miles down the road did you swap?

And ultimately: Should I worry about swapping it if I'm not experiencing problems that others have?

I've scoured the forums and understand that people claim it's a "night and day" difference, but most of them seem to have swapped out due to shifting problems they were encountering.

I'm thinking I'll keep the stock fluid until I feel I need to really swap it to improve the feel, but maybe your stories can sway me.
I've also seen posts of people having problems AFTER they swap the fluid out with or without needing to.

Thanks for the help in advance! Much appreciated
Nick0530 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #2

andale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud ofandale927 has much to be proud of
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can vouch for redline. I've used it in every manual transmission I've owned and always felt an improvement in shifting feel. Don't over think it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Bexar likes this.

Power:
BNR S4 v2 Turbocharger | JBR 3.5" Aluminum Intake | CS Battery Box | GFB Respons BPV |Depo Racing Catless Downpipe | Bosch 3 BAR MAP | JBR 3 Port EBC | ETS Top Mount Intercooler | Autotech HPFP Internals | Ultimate Racing Catback | Corksport Test Pipe | Cobb Accessport V3 | FREEKTUNED E30 Mix

Handling:
Kumho Ecsta PS91 Max Summer Tires | Corksport TMM Insert | Cobb RMM | JBR Weighted Shift Knob | JBR Weighted Shift Bushings | JBR Rear Sway Bar | Damond Short Shift Plate

Other:
JBR Boost Tubes | Cobb Polyeurethane Exhaust Hangers | Speedline Hood Struts | Corksport CF Hood Scoop | Damond OCC Stage 1 | Corksport E-Brake | Corksport Steering Wheel
andale927 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by andale927 View Post
I can vouch for redline. I've used it in every manual transmission I've owned and always felt an improvement in shifting feel. Don't over think it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'm thinking of giving it a shot, just worried about the horror stories I've heard lol.
 Old 08-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

macdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the worldmacdiesel is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I went with Motul and actually prefer is ove the Ford fluid. Ford took awhile to warm up in the winter making shifting challenging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 speed w/tech//Freektune//Autotech hpfp//Cobb APv3-SRI-TIH--cold air box//Corksport--Axle back exhaust//adjustable shocks and springs//LED's//Damond RMM--PMM--TMM--OCC stage II--SSP with OEM weight//HKS SSQV recirc//Fomoco honey//JBR bsd and baffle--shift bushings--51R battery tray--STS--bypass hose--tig tb coolant bypass//M2 test pipe//NGK 6510 one step chilly//StopTech SS brake lines//ETS TMIC//Progress 32mm rear sway//UMBRA tint by Nino 35%//Hawk DTC-60 up front and HPplus pads in rear//Mazda5 oem+rear brake kit//TrackMasters hood struts//

Coming up: Corksport injector seals
macdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
I went with Motul and actually prefer is ove the Ford fluid. Ford took awhile to warm up in the winter making shifting challenging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen a bunch of people swapping from Ford to Redline, and a few to Motul. Seems both are pretty solid choices
 Old 11-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

krimsonviper is on a distinguished road
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I’ve had experience with non MSP 3s, so I’m not sure how much of it applies here. My last 3 was a 5-speed manual. I used Amsoil in it after the first change and didn’t like it. Felt just like stock oil so I used that for the life of the oil. Switched to Redline for the last 2 changes and preferred it. It wasn’t night and day as a lot of people like to exclaim, but there was a noticeable difference. The car would grind hard if I pushed her when using Amsoil, but after switching to Redline it turned into a light-medium grind. Might have been more of a medium because I knew about it and tried to avoid situations where I had to push her and change fast.

Going with Redline again when I get the chance to change this MS3 trans oil. I’ll let you know how it goes after the first 500 miles in it.
krimsonviper is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #7

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a '13 also. I switched from OEM fill to Ford unicorn juice at about 30k for no particular reason at all other than that I thought changing oil at that interval was a good idea. Frankly I could never really feel a difference between stock fill and the Ford fluid.

More recently I had my clutch replaced and went to Redline MTL. So far it works fine but I've only driven a few hundred miles or so with it, and haven't had any sub-freezing conditions yet. My feeling is that it may feel a touch better than the Ford fluid, but again I can't really tell that much difference.

My feeling is that if someone is switching due to having some kind of a problem, they have a mechanical problem that probably should be fixed by actually fixing the trans rather than trying to cover it up with oil. But then I haven't had a problem. I baby my boy, and over time I carefully tweaked the shift feel to get it exactly how I wanted it. The RMM in particular makes a lot of difference and I've had that improved or replaced for a LONG time now.