register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Engine, Transmission & Driveline

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree7Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

StevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant future
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Tracking Down A Misfire Problem

So just today I started having a noticeable misfire in my 2012 Mazdaspeed3. I had no codes to go off of, just the feeling of sudden jerks when giving the car more gas. After about 30 miles I now have a P0300 and P0301 codes that came up with my CEL. So far I've cleaned the spark plugs and made sure the gap was correct. I cleaned my MAF sensor. And checked for vacuum leaks. This happened almost 1 week after installing my FMIC. This weekend I plan to pull the injectors and clean them and install CS injector seals. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevenPThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Vacuum leak
StevenPThomas likes this.
SaveMelMac is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

drive_sideways is just really nicedrive_sideways is just really nicedrive_sideways is just really nicedrive_sideways is just really nice
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

My Speed6 is doing the identical thing, I'm bone stock though. CEL came on on my way into work tonight...
Haven't run any diagnostics yet but I'm going to tomorrow.

StevenPThomas likes this.
drive_sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #4

btstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,519 Times in 1,761 Posts
Groans: 112
Groaned at 38 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Boost leak. Check your fuel trims/AFR.
JBR 3.5" whale penis intake, HTP polished battery tray, PnP stock intake manifold w/VCTS delete (by Kmac), Corksport TMIC, Forge V2 BPV, JBR TIG's, Kozmic EGR delete, Cobb AP, PTP HPFP internals, stock TBE w/gutted cats, JBR RMM, SU PMM and TMM, Koni Yellow Sport struts, Swift springs, Tri Point Engineering RSB, Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, PTP Injector Seals, GenPu transmission, Fidanza flywheel, 3 BAR MAP sensor, Posifab 10.5:1 CR 88mm sexy pistons, Molnar rods, sleeved block, PTP BSD

SnailTune in progress
btstarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #5

StevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant futureStevenPThomas has a brilliant future
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by btstarcher View Post
Boost leak. Check your fuel trims/AFR.

What should they be?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #6

btstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the worldbtstarcher is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Trims should be close to 0 if you're doing it right. AFR depends on the tune, but at idle, around 14.7-14.8. Also boost at idle should be around -10 to -11.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JBR 3.5" whale penis intake, HTP polished battery tray, PnP stock intake manifold w/VCTS delete (by Kmac), Corksport TMIC, Forge V2 BPV, JBR TIG's, Kozmic EGR delete, Cobb AP, PTP HPFP internals, stock TBE w/gutted cats, JBR RMM, SU PMM and TMM, Koni Yellow Sport struts, Swift springs, Tri Point Engineering RSB, Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, PTP Injector Seals, GenPu transmission, Fidanza flywheel, 3 BAR MAP sensor, Posifab 10.5:1 CR 88mm sexy pistons, Molnar rods, sleeved block, PTP BSD

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-22-2017, 02:51 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Trims should be close to 0 if you're doing it right. AFR depends on the tune, but at idle, around 14.7-14.8. Also boost at idle should be around -10 to -11.

Ok so I checked and tightened all my clamps to the intercooler so they're good. Here's my readings at idle.

AFR: 14.8
Boost: -11
LTFT: -1.XX
STFT: -0.6X

Everything seems good at idle. I took it for a little drive and it's definitely still misfiring when I try to accelerate. Just cruising on a flat road and maintaining speed and throttle position I don't notice it. I only feel it jerk when I try to accelerate a little bit. At that point I got a spike of AFR at 28.XX, not sure what that means. Just surprises me that it ran fine for a week without any noticeable problems. I even went cruising some back roads and it seemed to run really strong then I had a nice calm drive into town the next day and nothing seemed off, but on my way back it started jerking really bad. I'd be glad to hear anymore suggestions though. Appreciate the feed back guys.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #8

Not Ranked  0 score     

What does your AFR look like in a datalog?

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

mazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to allmazda62006 is a name known to all
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you checked your coils?
mazda62006 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What does your AFR look like in a datalog?

As far as what? At idle or driving around and putting load on it?

Originally Posted by mazda62006 View Post

I visually inspected them and didn't see anything unusual. I did swap 1 to 4 to see if the misfire followed it and so far the CEL hasn't come back on so I can't say for sure on that one. Is there another way to check other than buying another coil?

Last edited by StevenPThomas; 08-22-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #11

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     
Red face

Are you watching for KR?

Your lean spike of 28.xx, was that during acceleration or you looked at it after driving for a while? Engine braking will cut fuel and in turn register the lean 28.xx.

A misfire code is triggered by an unexpected change in RPM, as measured by the crank angle sensor. I believe the ECU might also correlate the misfire with sudden dips in AFR from unburned fuel.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
btstarcher (08-24-2017)
 Old 08-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

You have to take a datalog of driving in closed loop, then post it. Or look at AFR, and make sure it's constantly changing. You may have a faulty O2 sensor. It should be constantly changing.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mazda62006 View Post

I'm getting a new coil pack tomorrow to try in cylinder 1 where it said the misfire was at.

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Are you watching for KR?

Your lean spike of 28.xx, was that during acceleration or you looked at it after driving for a while? Engine braking will cut fuel and in turn register the lean 28.xx.

A misfire code is triggered by an unexpected change in RPM, as measured by the crank angle sensor. I believe the ECU might also correlate the misfire with sudden dips in AFR from unburned fuel.

KR hits about .5 which is not out of the ordinary for me. The 28 was after accelerating and then letting off and coasting. Just tested this.

You have to take a datalog of driving in closed loop, then post it. Or look at AFR, and make sure it's constantly changing. You may have a faulty O2 sensor. It should be constantly changing.

AFR definitely changes as I press in the gas pedal. I can also check the O2 sensor.

Last edited by StevenPThomas; 08-22-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 08-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

You need to look at it in a datalog to tell. It will also jump randomly after being stuck at a certain number.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

You need to look at it in a datalog to tell. It will also jump randomly after being stuck at a certain number.

Ok will do. I'll post a couple up. One at idol and one driving.

btstarcher likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenPThomas For This Useful Post:
btstarcher (08-22-2017)
 Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

When they start to go bad they get stuck at 14.81 for awhile (probably still less than a second) and jump to 29 and then act normally. Since it's reading 14.81, and probably targeting less (14.7 at most), the ECU commands more fuel, resulting in positive trims. This results in a rich condition, even though it's reading lean, which results in bad gas mileage and misfires.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #17

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't post a log 10k lines long. No one will look at it. Keep it short and sweet around the problem area.
btstarcher likes this.
Other rides:
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
btstarcher (08-22-2017)
 Old 08-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah just log for 30 seconds to a minute. Long enough to see any patterns. I'll read it.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

btstarcher likes this.
 Old 08-24-2017, 01:34 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok here are those data logs. First one is at idol, then accelerated in second, and accelerated in third. Also I got my new ignition coil in and it did not fix the problem. let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Misfire_Idol.csv (50.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: csv Misfire_2nd Gear.csv (18.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: csv Misfire_3rd Gear.csv (19.8 KB, 3 views)
btstarcher (08-24-2017)
 Old 08-24-2017, 01:58 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you cleaned your MAF sensor? I see a few issues with jumps in AFR, corresponding to MAF voltage excursions.

EDIT: Just read your OP again; did you clean it properly? Is there anyone nearby you can swap sensors with?

Also, check the actual pins in the harness. See if any are loose or recessed.

And take a picture of your intake, at each clamp. Check to see if any of them are rubbing against the wiring harness.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you cleaned your MAF sensor? I see a few issues with jumps in AFR, corresponding to MAF voltage excursions.

EDIT: Just read your OP again; did you clean it properly? Is there anyone nearby you can swap sensors with?

Also, check the actual pins in the harness. See if any are loose or recessed.

I mean I pulled the MAF and thoroughly sprayed with MAF sensor cleaner. Is there more to it? I can maybe see if someone will lend me theirs.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:07 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by StevenPThomas View Post
I mean I pulled the MAF and thoroughly sprayed with MAF sensor cleaner. Is there more to it? I can maybe see if someone will lend me theirs.

I just wanted to make sure you're aware that the actual sensor is way down inside the housing, out of sight. That the plastic bulb in plain sight is the air intake temperature sensor.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:08 AM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just wanted to make sure you're aware that the actual sensor is way down inside the housing, out of sight. That the plastic bulb in plain sight is the air intake temperature sensor.

Yeah yeah, but I just spray it correct? There isn't something else I have to do?

btstarcher (08-24-2017)
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Correct. So check the pins, and check to see if your clamps on your intake are rubbing against your wiring harness anywhere.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #26

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so the pin in the middle is a more brass color as the other appear to be aluminum maybe. It's like this on the sensor and the plug on the harness. Is that normal?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:26 AM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so the pin in the middle is a more brass color as the other appear to be aluminum maybe. It's like this on the sensor and the plug on the harness. Is that normal?

Fuck if I know. I just remember reading some threads where people were having problems with the pins in the MAF sensors, resulting in weird MAF-related problems. Including misfires. It was much more common several years ago to find harnesses that had been worn through over time, and that almost always resulted in misfires.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:28 AM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hmm. I'll look around for any worn areas. Just for good measure I did a compression check and I'm getting right around 170-175 on all cylinders. Appreciate the help.

btstarcher likes this.
btstarcher (08-24-2017)
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hmm. I'll look around for any worn areas. Just for good measure I did a compression check and I'm getting right around 170-175 on all cylinders. Appreciate the help.

At least you're listening and doing the work, unlike some of the other guys on here. Misfires are difficult to track down when you've ruled out plugs and coils. Another thing to consider is a sticking injector. Maybe run some fuel system cleaner through it.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:33 AM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok I can try that. I added some fuel injector cleaner to my tank. Would you consider that the same thing? I haven't really driven it since then though. Just quick tests here and there. I'm afraid I'm going to blow something up.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:36 AM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok I can try that. I added some fuel injector cleaner to my tank. Would you consider that the same thing? I haven't really driven it since then though. Just quick tests here and there. I'm afraid I'm going to blow something up.

Well you will blow up, eventually. Just resign yourself to that now and start saving. That way when it happens, you'll be ready.

And yeah that stuff should be fine. Just cover all the bases.

You mentioned cleaning the spark plugs, but what did they look like? And was one any different from the others?

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:37 AM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well you will blow up, eventually. Just resign yourself to that now and start saving. That way when it happens, you'll be ready.

And yeah that stuff should be fine. Just cover all the bases.

You mentioned cleaning the spark plugs, but what did they look like? And was one any different from the others?

All plugs looked the same unfortunately, so that didn't give me much to go off of. I'm actually in the process of putting brand new Denso ones in. Just see if that does anything.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:40 AM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

Check the gap. They're probably too wide. Although not by much.

SnailTune in progress
 Old 08-24-2017, 02:43 AM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Check the gap. They're probably too wide. Although not by much.

Yeah when I pulled them all out they were around .03ish and I regapped them. The ones I just put in I set at .026. Trying it right now.

btstarcher (08-24-2017)
 Old 08-24-2017, 03:20 AM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well it seems to have ran better. Will try more in the morning.

btstarcher (10-10-2017)
 Old 08-24-2017, 03:28 AM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuel system cleaner fixed my cyl3 misfire earlier this year.

FWIW, I used Lucas Max Fuel Sys Cleaner
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-24-2017, 03:35 AM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Fuel system cleaner fixed my cyl3 misfire earlier this year.

FWIW, I used Lucas Max Fuel Sys Cleaner

Thanks for the tip. If this isn't cleared up I'll try that. I had already added STP fuel injector cleaner when I initially had the misfire thinking it may help.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

Was in the store today. It's not called Lucas Max. It's Lucas Deep Clean.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 08-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok ok. I'm going to go grab a bottle tomorrow morning and try it out.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok so last night I got a P0171 Fuel System Lean Bank 1 CEL. Today I got a new tune from FreakTune and loaded it. I then did a 60 mile drive in the highway. It didn't seem like the tune had changed anything. On my way back home I bought a bottle of that Lucas Fuel System Cleaner Deep Clean and added the whole bottle to about 12 gal of gas. Honestly this seemed to help. The noticeable jerk from a misfire is not completely gone, but it's not as bad. Could this mean the misfire is related to my injectors? I got new CorkSport seals in yesterday. Btw I didn't do any really hard acceleration or get into boost much at all, but the cleaner seemed to do something.

btstarcher (10-10-2017)