register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - How-To's

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Coltzxli
  • 1 Post By SofaKingAwesome
  • 1 Post By Yatta
  • 1 Post By Yatta

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Coltzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Default How to 2013 Tech Package Backup Camera for $30

This a writeup on how to install a rear backup camera for under 30 bucks without removing or cutting your rear bumper. Intermediate difficulty, mostly just requires patience.

Tools needed:

Wire strippers
Spade terminal connecters
Back up Camera ($20) (amazon "Esky EC170-06" Camera Link
Mazda Headunit Harness ($8) (Amazon "AX-MAZCAM" Harness Link
20 feet of 20ish gauge wire

First wiring the Camera. Pull the weather stripping and at the rear of the hatch and youll see a small crack between the bumper and frame. Slide a wire hanger though the hole and bend down above the license plate to see the exit hole. Tough to explain but here is a picture.

Now tie the positive and negative to the hanger and pull it through. To feed the yellow RCA video cable though I cut on of the ends off and did the same thing with the hanger.

Optional -- I drilled a hole in the frame and fed the wires though to prevent any bending or mis-shaping of the wires or weather strip

Put the camera up, measure the center; screw it in, and tuck the extra wires behind the license plate

[/url]

Now lets focus on the headunit portion of the install. Here is a DIY to removing the headunit
How to remove Gen 2 tech package head unit

The harness plus in on the drivers side of the headunit (yellow and black harness)

Splice the RCA cable that you cut back onto itself, here is a picture of what the inside looks like + to + and - to -

Connect the RCA from the camera to the unit. Take your 10 feet of + and 10 feet of - and run wires from the harness to the camera. Tuck the wires any way you want, here is where I ran them.

From the Headunit through the center console (passenger side)

Down the rear door sill and into the trunk

And you're all done. No need to tap into the reverse lights or a fuse, the headunit supplies the power. so it's as simple as connecting the positive, negative, and video feed from the camera to the adapter to the headunit.

you may have to center your camera, I did.

NOW pay the puppy tax because she was a good girl while I did this
rickslick16 likes this.

Last edited by Coltzxli; 03-23-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Coltzxli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Coltzxli For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (03-23-2017), KiwiFlavor (03-23-2017), MD1032 (04-24-2017), SofaKingAwesome (03-22-2017), tegxsi (03-23-2017), Ten2Four (06-13-2017), [R]usty (03-23-2017)
 Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

dagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Awesome job! I'll work on this soon enough

Sent while doing Time Attack...

1st and Last DISI turbocharged MZR
2006 MS6 GT
2013 MS3 GT+Tech
1994 Miata M Edition 1.8L LSD, New obsession!
Heeeyyyyyyyy! Booooooobs! ENM DC 2014
2015 ENM @ MDC Hey Scumbag!
the2falcon "Eatin' Honduhs on the daily!"
dagrimey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
COCKSTRONG

SofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the worldSofaKingAwesome is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,750 Times in 4,945 Posts
Groans: 889
Groaned at 278 Times in 160 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Brownies serving up good threads, I like it!
silvapain likes this.

EVERY "I DON'T USE MSF" FACEBOOK RETARD EVER
SofaKingAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SofaKingAwesome For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (03-23-2017), MD1032 (04-24-2017)
 Old 03-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

dagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the worlddagrimey1 is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SofaKingAwesome View Post
You should call us Tasty Kakes

1st and Last DISI turbocharged MZR
2006 MS6 GT
2013 MS3 GT+Tech
1994 Miata M Edition 1.8L LSD, New obsession!
Heeeyyyyyyyy! Booooooobs! ENM DC 2014
2015 ENM @ MDC Hey Scumbag!
the2falcon "Eatin' Honduhs on the daily!"
dagrimey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dagrimey1 For This Useful Post:
MD1032 (04-24-2017), SofaKingAwesome (03-23-2017)
 Old 03-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #5

Coltzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to beholdColtzxli is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dagrimey1 View Post
Awesome job! I'll work on this soon enough

Originally Posted by SofaKingAwesome View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltzxli For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (03-23-2017)
 Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 AM   #6

aznpersuazn has a spectacular aura aboutaznpersuazn has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Would any back up camera work with this head unit wire harness?
aznpersuazn is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by aznpersuazn View Post
Would any back up camera work with this head unit wire harness?
The Harness supplies 1. power 2. ground 3. a video hook up

those 3 hookups should be universal and I think any would work fine.
 Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #8

_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

WHOA WHOA WHOA, this is done with the stock head unit, clearly I can see, I just cant believe it. I didn't know this was possible. How?
 Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #9

Yatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,273 Times in 640 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by _MS3orDIE View Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA, this is done with the stock head unit, clearly I can see, I just cant believe it. I didn't know this was possible. How?
The head unit is based on hardware from several models and the option was available for them; plug is present on the back so it is functionality that just doesn’t appear until it senses it. I have one of these head-units (and all the parts pieces except the wire) for my 2012... still looking for a proper wire harness from a 2013... still a damned $1000 unicorn from Mazda...
silvapain likes this.
mods: \\// AT HPFP // AccessPort // CS S2 TIP, SRI and TMIC // CPe S2 RMM // Synapse BPV // Mazda gutted secondary cat // S-OTS+ 91S2 // HKS TP DLi II // Wilwood DP6 13” brakes // TCE 2 piece rear rotors // Maxwell SuperCap/LiFePO4 cell \\//

waiting for install: \\// CPE Catted DP // CS Battery Box // Devils Own Meth kit // H&R Coilovers \\//
Yatta is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #10

_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute_MS3orDIE has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
The head unit is based on hardware from several models and the option was available for them; plug is present on the back so it is functionality that just doesn’t appear until it senses it. I have one of these head-units (and all the parts pieces except the wire) for my 2012... still looking for a proper wire harness from a 2013... still a damned $1000 unicorn from Mazda...

I have a 13 tech. So I'm definitely going to try this especially since I have 5% tint. Hard to see when it's dark. This will help a lot. The harness you are looking for isn't the one the OP post in his link? You could always buy the eonon one since you don't have the stock tech unit. I am unfamiliar with this work but seems simple enough to try.
 Old 04-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a 13 tech. So I'm definitely going to try this especially since I have 5% tint. Hard to see when it's dark. This will help a lot. The harness you are looking for isn't the one the OP post in his link? You could always buy the eonon one since you don't have the stock tech unit. I am unfamiliar with this work but seems simple enough to try.
Unfortunately that isnt the harness he is looking for. He is trying to convert a 2012 to a 2013 tech, which would be tricky without that unicorn harness.

I love having the camera as my tint is super dark too. Best of luck, if you have an questions let me know.

Last edited by Coltzxli; 04-21-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #12

Yatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the worldYatta is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Coltzxli View Post

Unfortunately that isnt the harness he is looking for. He is trying to convert a 2012 to a 2013 tech, which would be tricky without that unicorn harness.

I love having the camera as my tint is super dark too. Best of luck, if you have an questions let me know.

yes... but this makes me want to convert it even more... I have the BT module, the SD (TomTom) module, and the USB/aux harness... the radio works in the car excluding SAT/iPod/phone/NAV/SW controls... (it can see and control the SAT, just can’t hear it) the main (large) harness part is the same... but no-one aside from Mazda can seem to source that harness; so, if I owned a 2013... I would NEVER cut it... cause replacing it will suck. one of these days .....
mods: \\// AT HPFP // AccessPort // CS S2 TIP, SRI and TMIC // CPe S2 RMM // Synapse BPV // Mazda gutted secondary cat // S-OTS+ 91S2 // HKS TP DLi II // Wilwood DP6 13” brakes // TCE 2 piece rear rotors // Maxwell SuperCap/LiFePO4 cell \\//

waiting for install: \\// CPE Catted DP // CS Battery Box // Devils Own Meth kit // H&R Coilovers \\//
 Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
yes... but this makes me want to convert it even more... I have the BT module, the SD (TomTom) module, and the USB/aux harness... the radio works in the car excluding SAT/iPod/phone/NAV/SW controls... (it can see and control the SAT, just can’t hear it) the main (large) harness part is the same... but no-one aside from Mazda can seem to source that harness; so, if I owned a 2013... I would NEVER cut it... cause replacing it will suck. one of these days .....
keep a look out on the fb pages for part outs, do you have a pic of said harness, maybe I can do some searching myself to help.

Originally Posted by Coltzxli View Post

I'm ordering a camera and harness of amazon in a few minutes, still deciding on a camera, will probably arrive for next weekend which is cool cause the weather will be nicer. But I'm going to pull the radio this weekend and just take a look to get familiar with what I will be dealing with.

Last edited by _MS3orDIE; 04-21-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
_MS3orDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

keep a look out on the fb pages for part outs, do you have a pic of said harness, maybe I can do some searching myself to help.

I'm ordering a camera and harness of amazon in a few minutes, still deciding on a camera, will probably arrive for next weekend which is cool cause the weather will be nicer. But I'm going to pull the radio this weekend and just take a look to get familiar with what I will be dealing with.
I have yet to find a 2013 with Tech parting out... I have a 2012 with Tech.. the 2013 radio works as is, but no SW control and no BT for phone (which I use)... so until I find the harness I am kind of out of luck.. funny thing.. I suspect if I could find the radio end plugs... I could make it work as is...

thanks!
silvapain likes this.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #15

Ten2Four is just really niceTen2Four is just really niceTen2Four is just really niceTen2Four is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

So this will automatically trigger the camera when in reverse?
Ten2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ten2Four View Post
So this will automatically trigger the camera when in reverse?
correct
 Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #17

Ten2Four is just really niceTen2Four is just really niceTen2Four is just really niceTen2Four is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fuck ya. Parts ordered!
 Old 06-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #18

jeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond reputejeffdevo has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

does anyone think something similar can be applied to a 2010 with tech package?
-Low Beam/ Fog HIDS - Lamin-X Yellow Tint on Fog Lights - TSW Mallory Wheels - Thule Bike Rack with 598 Criterium Bike Mount - GX-65 with Blendmount - Corksport RMM - Corksport Mudflaps - Corksport SRI - Corksport Rear Sway Bar - GX-65 radar laser detector - TRS Angel Eyes - Rear bumper LED Light - H&R Springs - Koni Yellow Struts - JBR Camber Arms - AP v2 -Autotech internals - Tork Motorsports Tuned - Halos - Strips - D2 Xenon Lights - SST brake lines - Stoptech Sport brake and rotors w/ sst Brake lines
[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
jeffdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Easy install, spent more time tucking wires than anything.

I did not have much luck routing the wires directly behind the license plate and through the original hole from OP, so I found a closed hole on the passengers side by the gas tank. Cut an X in the black plastic filler piece and ran the wires through there.
 Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ten2Four View Post
Easy install, spent more time tucking wires than anything.

I did not have much luck routing the wires directly behind the license plate and through the original hole from OP, so I found a closed hole on the passengers side by the gas tank. Cut an X in the black plastic filler piece and ran the wires through there.
Been super busy, just saw this, but I'm glad this helped you some. Enjoy seeing out the back

Originally Posted by jeffdevo View Post
does anyone think something similar can be applied to a 2010 with tech package?
If the headunit is the same or similar then you should be able to no problem

Last edited by Coltzxli; 07-17-2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost