register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Wheels & Tires

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

J03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Review - Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 Snow Tires

I searched, and didn't see a review for Blizzak's, so here goes.

Changing Tires
I purchased the tires with steel wheels from Tire Rack. They arrived in 3 days (purchased the morning of the 24th, arrived the afternoon of the 26th), although that includes Thanksgiving Day, which may have slowed the delivery down. All four arrived together, and included 20 lug nuts. Someone was angry when they put the lug nuts on the stock wheels, because it took over 200 lb*ft of torque to get them off. Aside from that, it was a breeze to change out the tires, using a 2-ton jack I borrowed from my girlfriend (visible in it's box on the far right in the upper picture). One of the four wheels was dirty - it looked like dirty water had spilled onto the outside of the wheel, and dried leaving dirt in little spots all over. Other than that, did not notice any other problems.

First Impressions
[Wet, 40 degrees F, no snow/ice]
The difference in driving dynamics between these tires, and the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 2050's is significant. Bumps are less pronounced, making a drive over rough pavement noticeably more comfortable. This comes at a price, though, as lateral movement is vastly more pronounced, likely owing to larger, softer sidewalls. The tires are less able to put power to the ground, breaking traction at lower RPMs then stock. For Gen2 Speed3 owners (and possibly Gen1 MS3 and MS6 owners, I'm not sure), if you opt to not spend the money on TPMS sensors, your car will continuously light the TPMS warning light on your dashboard. The tires have a slightly larger (about 3%) outer diameter, and so the speedometer will read about 2mph low at 65mph (comparing speedometer to MotionX GPS Light on iPhone).

[Snow]
Will update this section when able.

Details
205/60R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 - $95 per
16x6.5 steel wheels - $55 per
$700.41 mounted and shipped from Tire Rack

If there's anything else anyone wants to know, if this is helpful, if you think I'm just wasting your time, respond!

Photos will be added soon.

Last edited by J03808; 11-27-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Improving
J03808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J03808 For This Useful Post:
Aetherfury (11-28-2010), Base14 (11-27-2010), Goose (11-27-2010), lmnt (12-03-2010), superskaterxes (12-03-2010)
 Old 11-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #2

scriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the worldscriccs is the leader of the world
Groans: 50
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking forward to the snow update. I'll be putting my Michelin X-Ice Xi2s on very soon however they will be on an extra set of 18s I have.
 Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #3

J03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond reputeJ03808 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by scriccs View Post
Looking forward to the snow update. I'll be putting my Michelin X-Ice Xi2s on very soon however they will be on an extra set of 18s I have.
The snow melted the day that the tires arrived. The DAY. When it snows again, I'll update. I'm curious how well a set of low profile winter tires work. I assumed they wouldn't work as well as more standard sized tires, but let me know how they work for you!
 Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

Goose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud of
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the info/pic. I'm also waiting to try my new Blizzak WS70's in the snow. Never thought I'd actually want it to get cold/snowy (I don't really).

I did the full 205/50 R17 alloy w/sensor setup from Tire Rack. I'll add my experience with 50-series Blizzaks on snow once I get the chance.
 Old 11-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Thanks for the info/pic. I'm also waiting to try my new Blizzak WS70's in the snow. Never thought I'd actually want it to get cold/snowy (I don't really).

I did the full 205/50 R17 alloy w/sensor setup from Tire Rack. I'll add my experience with 50-series Blizzaks on snow once I get the chance.
You mind saying what you paid? Did you go with a set of steelies, or something else? You can certainly add any info, opinions, etc. here, and if you make a separate thread about your experience (if the mods are cool with that), send me a link and I'll link to that thread in the first post!
 Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

Goose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud ofGoose has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

I bought the cheapest 17" alloys that Tire Rack had in stock at the time. The alloys (MSW's) were about a hundred bucks apiece. Can't remember what the tires cost. I can't stand TPMS (really - how hard is it to check your tires every so often?), but I hate an idiot light blinking at me even more.

I'll be sure to add my experience with the 50-series Blizzaks to the thread.
 Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Groans: 24
Groaned at 81 Times in 33 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

We recently installed 225/60/18 WS-70's on the CX7 and they are incredibly quiet! But god forbid you drive in the rain, it sounds like you're in a freight train taking off from a stop. The tires are definitely loud in the wet, and feel mushy for sure in hard cornering, but they are going to be phenominal in the snow with 4 channels instead of 3 water channels like the WS-60. Once my Dunlop Wintersport M3's are worn, I'll be investing in these as well.
2011 LSM Mazdaspeed 3 Sport w/tech pkg - sold
Silver Ecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #8

Base14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

I also have some WS70s 205/50/17. I was able to drive on some trace snow and ice earlier this week and got through it all no problem. I've never driven on snow tires on a FWD car before, so I have nothing to really compare it to. I've driven in the snow MANY times tho.. anyways tho it hardly a challenge on the blizzaks. But the real test will come when I can make it up to the mountain to ride for the first time this year!

subbed for more reviews!
2008.5 MS3 GT | Hypertech Flash | Cobb SRI | Cobb TIP | SU Test Pipe | Forge BPV | JBarone SSP w/ bushings | Matt Damond's OCC kit | SU RMM | 20% tint | LED swap | Raptor DDE Halo kit | Rally Armor Mud flaps | Sideskirts | TRS clear lenses | DashHawk with CPE mount
278 whp, 300 wtq

Base14 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I bought the cheapest 17" alloys that Tire Rack had in stock at the time. The alloys (MSW's) were about a hundred bucks apiece. Can't remember what the tires cost. I can't stand TPMS (really - how hard is it to check your tires every so often?), but I hate an idiot light blinking at me even more.

I'll be sure to add my experience with the 50-series Blizzaks to the thread.
Yeah, the idiot light is annoying. It's also a little interesting to me, because it means the TPMS system doesn't work quite the way I thought; I assumed that the sensors on the wheels only transmitted when the pressure was incorrect, to save power, but obviously they are transmitting semi-constantly, or else the computer wouldn't know they were missing. Not sure if it's worth the pretty exorbitant price for it to be installed, though.

Originally Posted by Silver Ecstasy View Post
We recently installed 225/60/18 WS-70's on the CX7 and they are incredibly quiet! But god forbid you drive in the rain, it sounds like you're in a freight train taking off from a stop. The tires are definitely loud in the wet, and feel mushy for sure in hard cornering, but they are going to be phenominal in the snow with 4 channels instead of 3 water channels like the WS-60. Once my Dunlop Wintersport M3's are worn, I'll be investing in these as well.
Really? I was driving in the rain earlier today, and didn't notice it being louder - I'll have to check that the next time I'm out driving, and maybe add that to the review if it's noticeable to me...

Originally Posted by Base14 View Post
I also have some WS70s 205/50/17. I was able to drive on some trace snow and ice earlier this week and got through it all no problem. I've never driven on snow tires on a FWD car before, so I have nothing to really compare it to. I've driven in the snow MANY times tho.. anyways tho it hardly a challenge on the blizzaks. But the real test will come when I can make it up to the mountain to ride for the first time this year!

subbed for more reviews!
I drove the stockers through about 1" of snow a few days ago - it was that, or leave the car at work - and I never noticed much slipping. I think you're right, the real test of snow tires is heavy snow/ice and hills.
 Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #10

RjVPower is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just purchased a set of WS-70s along with 17 maxxim knight wheels from town fair tire for $1,050. They do provide a much quieter ride. Ill post some pictures when i get a chance.
RjVPower is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #12

bms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the worldbms3mtb is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 21 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ What's tire size (aspect/height)?
bms3mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

They are 205/50R17
 Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #14

HLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the worldHLR Element is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,967 Times in 579 Posts
Groans: 109
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

unless the dunlops somehow manage snow better, you must've been driving on flat surfaces when there was an inch of snow. I had a freak snow storm last year and got caught out in 1in of snow after i changed tires and damn was it annoying going up hill. Had to do 2nd gear slip the clutch a lot... even then i still had to turn the wheel a lot so counter the front wheels sliding when trying to get moving.

I haz ws60's tho, they're good. I agree with the squishy sidewalls though, 16" FTL.
 Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #15

lmnt will become famous soon enoughlmnt will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the post! The picture assures me that the black steelies I just pulled the trigger on won't look too bad

Here's what I just bought & paid (from tirerack):

205/60R-16 Pirelli Winter Carving Edge XL $72.00 x 4 = $288.00
16x6.5 5-114 et42 cb67 st new $55.00 x 4 = $220.00
SHIPPING = $119.71
-------------------
TOTAL: $627.71

The tires were on closeout and I think a pretty good deal @ $72 each.
lmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #16

Base14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond reputeBase14 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

Finally made it up to the mountain yesterday for some riding, so I thought I'd give my .02 on how my WS70s handled. It snowed about 11 inches overnight, so I headed up first thing in the morning. By the time I got there, the roads were packed and plowed, but gravel wasn't laid yet. The car handled beautifully! Way better than I could have thought. Kept up with the subie that was ahead of me without problems. Never slipped out (unless I really tried) and the tires held solidly. Overall I'm quite impressed with these winter tires, and have no anxiety about ever encountering snow.
2008.5 MS3 GT | Hypertech Flash | Cobb SRI | Cobb TIP | SU Test Pipe | Forge BPV | JBarone SSP w/ bushings | Matt Damond's OCC kit | SU RMM | 20% tint | LED swap | Raptor DDE Halo kit | Rally Armor Mud flaps | Sideskirts | TRS clear lenses | DashHawk with CPE mount
278 whp, 300 wtq

Base14 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #17

Silver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the worldSilver Ecstasy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have been having an absolute blast with the CX7 with 225/60/18 WS-70's. Although they're mushy as hell, they are definitely a blast when the snow hits. And they've not once had a problem in ice!
 Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Dredging this up to add my impressions of the Bridgestones...

I've had the chance to drive through icy conditions and plenty of untreated (packed snow) highways. As the others have said, Blizzaks are very good winter tires. Although I can't personally compare the Bridgestones to other options, the Blizzaks certainly met my expectations. In short, I haven't had any slipping/sliding on some pretty crappy surfaces - when others on all-seasons were clearly having trouble. Noise is low and the ride is comfortable. As long as expectations are reasonable, handling is okay with the Blizzaks.

With snow tires on the car, the biggest concern I have is the other guy sliding around on his "no-seasons"!
Silver Ecstasy (01-15-2011)
 Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Dredging this up to add my impressions of the Bridgestones...

I've had the chance to drive through icy conditions and plenty of untreated (packed snow) highways. As the others have said, Blizzaks are very good winter tires. Although I can't personally compare the Bridgestones to other options, the Blizzaks certainly met my expectations. In short, I haven't had any slipping/sliding on some pretty crappy surfaces - when others on all-seasons were clearly having trouble. Noise is low and the ride is comfortable. As long as expectations are reasonable, handling is okay with the Blizzaks.

With snow tires on the car, the biggest concern I have is the other guy sliding around on his "no-seasons"!
Exact experience with the CX7 and WS70's.
 Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #20

327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute327whp has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I love my Blizzaks and I use them on the stock wheels so no issue with TPMS. No problems at all with snow or ice....unless I'm just having a little fun
327whp is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #21

Teethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,187 Times in 241 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just ordered 2 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONT DWS BL.. I hear these are above average for an all season.. Anyone have any experience with these?
 Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #22

3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world3mazdaspeed is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Love the tires in the snow, not so much on dry roads. I tested these bad boys on the autobauhn and went up to its speed rating. All i can say is that i wouldnt do it again. Its not that bad, just wont go that fast. They handle great in snow and ice. Im running 225/45/18.
3mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3mazdaspeed For This Useful Post:
Teethkikr (01-21-2011)
 Old 01-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #23

Teethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the worldTeethkikr is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,187 Times in 241 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks.. I am getting them strictly for the snow.. I looked at the dedicated snow options and they were like $70 more per tire. Anything has to be better than stock so i am sure these will be good.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f432/review-bridgestone-blizzak-ws70-snow-tires-65791/
Posted By For Type Date
Review Bridgestone Blizzak Ws70 Snow Tires Mazdaspeed Forums. | Healty Living Guide This thread Refback 12-14-2010 10:24 AM
Michelin X Ice 2 Or Bridgestone Blizzak Ws70 | Healty Living Guide This thread Refback 12-12-2010 01:45 PM
Ws70 Reviews | Healty Living Guide This thread Refback 12-10-2010 02:55 PM
Blizzak Ws70 Vs Winter Sport M3 | Healty Living Guide This thread Refback 12-10-2010 02:27 PM
Difference Between Bridgestone Blizzak Ws60 And Blizzak Ws70 | Healty Living Guide This thread Refback 12-08-2010 08:57 PM
Winter Tire Review Michelin X Ice Ii Blizzak Ws70 | Healty Living Guide This thread Refback 12-08-2010 12:39 PM
Snow Tire Reviews: Michelin X-Ice This thread Refback 12-02-2010 07:50 PM