register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProChargedLS2

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #1

ProChargedLS2 is a jewel in the roughProChargedLS2 is a jewel in the roughProChargedLS2 is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Fuel nozzle didn't click off, over filled tank

I was filling up at my regular point I always do, which takes about 13 gallons give or take .2
I wasn't watching the pump, was focused on the guy acting like a fool in the gas station. I felt like it was taking way too long so I glanced up at the pump to see how slow it was going, only to see it put in 16 gallons. Fuck... a little top off won't end the world but 3 gallons dude? Fuck me.

It ran fine at first and I was hoping I dodged the bullet, but after 5 miles it started running really lean and flaring up and stuttering if I didn't get it up to 1600 manually. Went in the store, came out and tried it again but my idle afr goes from 18-24 so I shut that sucker down before something broke because it was running so bad.

Am I gonna need an entirely new charcoal canister? Or should I bother trying to siphon some fuel out from the tank and driving it back home so I can drain the canister. Really don't want to tow it.
Ms3stock likes this.

BNR S4 V3, JMF Intake Manifold, XSP Exhaust Manifold V3, ATP Catless DP, SU TMIC, JBR Tru- 3.5 intake, DM Stage 3 DOCC via route 4, JBR Intake Manifold + Throttle Body Insulating Gaskets, CS EBCS, CS High Pressure Fuel Line, CS HPFP Internals, CS Injector Seals, JBR BSD + Baffle Kit, CS RMM, CS SSB, JBR SSP, Forge BPV, 3 BAR MAP Sensor (for now), DM EGR Delete, NGK 6510 Plugs, DM PCV Plate

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
ProChargedLS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #2

ProChargedLS2 is a jewel in the roughProChargedLS2 is a jewel in the roughProChargedLS2 is a jewel in the rough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I managed to take a few logs I can upload if that would help decide if it's something else, but considering how close these two events happened, I can't imagine what else it would be

BNR S4 V3, JMF Intake Manifold, XSP Exhaust Manifold V3, ATP Catless DP, SU TMIC, JBR Tru- 3.5 intake, DM Stage 3 DOCC via route 4, JBR Intake Manifold + Throttle Body Insulating Gaskets, CS EBCS, CS High Pressure Fuel Line, CS HPFP Internals, CS Injector Seals, JBR BSD + Baffle Kit, CS RMM, CS SSB, JBR SSP, Forge BPV, 3 BAR MAP Sensor (for now), DM EGR Delete, NGK 6510 Plugs, DM PCV Plate

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
 Old 10-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

sorry i have no answers for you but i'm interested to read about the outcomes with the canister...i had the habit to overfill...

But at some point even if the canister is flooded and the vent valve is leaking open to atmosphere, it should not hurt the car much to drive it back home....Have you tried to block the path from the under hood evap solenoid ?

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,002 Times in 2,803 Posts
Groans: 1,906
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

That is extreme behavior for an overfill. I would guess that your purge valve might be fucked, but it could be the canister as well I suppose.

Unless you've got emissions testing, the P0442/P0443 codes shouldn't have any real detrimental effect on your car (or your wallet).

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
cyclist20 (10-28-2019)
 Old 10-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
That is extreme behavior for an overfill. I would guess that your purge valve might be fucked, but it could be the canister as well I suppose.

Unless you've got emissions testing, the P0442/P0443 codes shouldn't have any real detrimental effect on your car (or your wallet).
Yeah I bought a purge valve. I started it up today and it's even worse, but I'm not getting any codes so I really don't know where to look

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
 Old 10-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

It's possible that you might have a bad O2 sensor. Have you touched anything else on the car recently?

Old 10-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
It's possible that you might have a bad O2 sensor. Have you touched anything else on the car recently?
Nah, haven't done anything for a couple thousand miles. The primary o2 sensor would occasionally not read, and my AFR would be stuck at 14.85. If I turned the car on for 10 seconds then turn the engine on it would go away. I haven't had any issues with it besides that, but maybe the sensor just took a dump. Any cheap way of testing this besides buying a new sensor?

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
 Old 11-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Got my car towed back, looked through my logs and first thing I noticed is my STFT is stuck at 25! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it's supposed to be at 0 (+ or - 1 or 2 depending on the situation) when you're at idle. I checked for vacuum leaks, swapped the purge valve, re-seated everything from the turbo up, even pull the IM off and put it back together just to ensure I have no leaks. It threw the 2187 code at the first stop light when the problem wasn't as bad, second stop light it got REALLY bad, then when I pulled in the store I reflashed the tune to see if it would clear up at all but it didn't, and now it's not throwing any codes at all. I'm too scared to run it with this issue. Could this be a problem with my VVT? I'm at that mileage where I need to do it but it hasn't given me issues before. If I hopped timing it wouldn't have slowly progressed, it'd be the sound of Satan laughing at me from my engine bay. Positive I didn't jump timing, but could this be related to the faulty VVT actuator?

attached are the 2 logs I bit my tongue while grabbing
I'm gonna pull my o2 sensors and soak them in gasoline. I have had issues with the primary one in the past but the workaround was to turn the car on for 5-10 seconds prior to turning the motor. If the problem clears up after soaking them in gas, I guess I know what the culprit is. However I won't know that until tomorrow.

Any ideas? I got this week off to fix it since it wasn't as simple as I hoped.
Attached Files
File Type: csv datalog3.csv (25.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: csv datalog4.csv (21.9 KB, 3 views)

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
 Old 11-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #9

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,042 Posts
Groans: 154
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think Vansquish nailed it. Your primary O2 sensor is failing. I doubt cleaning it will solve the problem. I suspect you will need to replace it. Get an identical OEM part, as aftermarket substitutes seem not work well. There are on-line sources for the OEM part that are cheaper than buying from your local dealer.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
I think Vansquish nailed it. Your primary O2 sensor is failing. I doubt cleaning it will solve the problem. I suspect you will need to replace it. Get an identical OEM part, as aftermarket substitutes seem not work well. There are on-line sources for the OEM part that are cheaper than buying from your local dealer.
Edit: just realized I misread what you said entirely. I bought an OEM one used so hopefully that fixes the problem.

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!

Last edited by ProChargedLS2; 11-12-2019 at 04:09 AM.
 Old 11-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2013-M...8AAOSwm6xdpRaB

I might buy a used one honestly, I'd prefer to go OEM but they're so expensive. Used ones are cheaper, and eBay covers the buyers back to deaths door so if anything happens I'll have that.

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
 Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, let's say that replacing the primary o2 sensor doesn't fix it... What next? After this I'm kinda stuck, because I have no codes to go off of, only the symptoms but with this I will have covered everything these symptoms point to.

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
 Old 11-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Swapping the O2 sensor didn't help. Shot the wires and nothing reads bad, everything works as it should. Checked MAP n MAF sensors again, checked for leaks... no luck.

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!
 Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #14
Police - Grammarhead

Have you tried the KOEO fuel pressure test? That might show you if you've got a bad HPRV that just coincidentally crapped out when you overfilled. It might also help diagnose whether you've got an issue with your injectors. For example, I am wondering if your problems might be traceable to debris in the gas tank that was knocked free when you overfilled. This seems unlikely, but not impossible.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, nothing seems wrong there. If it happened in a single moment I could get a better idea of what happened, but since it gradually got worse I'm at a loss for ideas here. The hprv is somewhat new. Swapped it out this spring, and it doesn't appear to be stuck open or shut.

Is there any chance that maybe a seal or a cylinder ring broke? Even if that was the case I feel like it'd have taken effect much faster than this did

TUNEDBYNISHAN!!