register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Fuel, Nitrous & Water Injection

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Mini Franki is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Impossible to get my boost target

Hi,

I actually have a strange problem about my boost target and meth injection. Just for the info, my boost target are 16psi/3000rpm and 21psi/3500rpm(gtx2867r). Forget IAT compensation, i dont have it at this temperature. And, all my 2018 logs were done in the same day

Last year, all was good about my boost target and i had a stable boost on WOT(20.5-21psi). But this year, its impossible to get target and stability. The map is exactly the same. The difference with last year is a new pump(exact same pump) and a catless downpipe(i had a high flow cat)

Now, boost target are very worst. Its pretty hard to get my 21psi. I get my 1st 20psi at 4500rpm and after that still between 19.5-20.5psi(big variation). And i begin to peak over 21-22psi at +5800rpm. Its like ECU trying to compensate the WGDC for get the right boost target and that finish to peak too much at high rpm. So, i tried to climb up my WGDC of +10%. Result, no real difference

At the start, i was sure i had a leak or maybe the catless changed something. So i tried a leak test where my injection is, no leak. So i decided to try my old 20psi map without meth injection(i unpluged my meth controller. Nozzle and check valve still there). Strangly, all my target are good and boost are very stable(19.5-20psi). So, its not because a leak or the catless

Im out of idea, i really dont know what is the problem. I post here my log for help you to understand. There is clearly a problem

Thx for the help!

Wot 4 21psi meth 2017(high flow cat and 500cc): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qa...o-kwSbVeGjFbA9
Wot 4 21psi meth 2018(catless and 500cc): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FD...-VFZGwSNA_jY66
Wot 4 21psi meth 2018(catless, 500cc and +10% WGDC): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1To...KXEWsMJtPa1z8Q
Wot 4 20psi meth unpluged 2018(catless): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tr...lsfx19dweivqja

Last edited by Mini Franki; 05-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Mini Franki is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #2

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I put new link for read files directly on internet
 Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

No idea?
 Old 05-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

JSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the world
Groans: 71
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So...you removed a cat and didn't retune?
JSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSmith For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (05-07-2018)
 Old 05-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My downpipe had a high flow cat, now im catless. That dont need a retune. That still, im hitting my target when i unplug my meth controller on my 20psi map
 Old 05-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,821 Times in 2,662 Posts
Groans: 1,793
Groaned at 44 Times in 25 Posts

Actually, it probably does.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2018, 05:01 AM   #7

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why reomove a high flow cat anyways? What did that gain you? 5 hp at best, or currently, just a bunch of problems...
 Old 05-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tuner said that dont change anything to run catless. And i have 3port boost controller so its easy to.control the boost. I changed catless because its less expensive. Like i said 2 times, my boost target are good without injection. So its not because im catless
 Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 133
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like you should be talking to your tuner.

Did you port the wastegate on your turbo? The Garret turbos are known to boost creep for some. Porting the wastegate hole solves the issue. Or going with an external wastegate. Might be worth looking into.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: BNR S3/HTP 3.5 Intake/Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/MAPerformance Rev3 Intake Manifold
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I tried, but seem to be too busy for answer me

Anyway, that dont come from the map. Just need people here who know enough about tuning for read my log and see something i didnt. That will help me to find the problem.

I run gtx2867r since 100 000km and i never got problem about boost creep

Ill do another test later, ill try again to do a log with and without injection but now, with the same map. If the problem only appear again when im injecting, the hypothesis of catless or leakage is no longer valid
 Old 05-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #11

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If hybrid tuned...might be hitting the load limits?
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its boost based map, load limits are 3.0

After a test on my 20psi map with and without meth injection, logs are exactly the same. So its finally not the injection fault!

So catless seem to be the problem because all log describe that. It's probably not restrictive enough so it cant hit target in low/medium rpm and try to compensate and finally peak in high rpm. I dont search anymore, ill put back a cat high flow

Last edited by Mini Franki; 05-08-2018 at 06:57 PM.
 Old 05-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

After added i high flow cat, problem still there. The only thing changed is, i peak less than before

So last hypothesis is, probably have a leak somewhere. I tried a leak test directly on the silicone tube of the intercooler to TB for see if my injection leaking. At 23psi, no leak from the nozzle

My question is, its normal the psi drop in 15-20 sec? Maybe a have a leak somewhere

thx

Last edited by Mini Franki; 05-12-2018 at 01:54 PM.
 Old 05-15-2018, 03:55 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That can be the corksport bpv, i heard some bad review about the wave spring broke. Ill check if it leak too
 Old 05-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bpv is top shape, wave spring is good. All o-ring are good and greased. Boost leak test is good at 23psi. Im piss offff!!!!

Im totally out of idea
 Old 05-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #16

JSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the world
Groans: 71
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, you have placed the catted DP back in and now peak (boost pressure) less than before? Thats good.

If you connected at the throttle body (TB) then yes, you should expect pressure to drop, as you are flowing air through the engine. Try checking the TB silicone connection in the direction of the turbo outlet to check for piping leaks? Or get an air compressor w/ a pressure regulator and test at the turbo inlet through the entire intake track.
JSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I tested directly on my tb silicone for my nozzle, no leak(check valve removed and nozzle blocked). After i tested all the boost side(blocked the bypass hose), no leak. Yeah I lose maybe 1psi seconde when i test but i put air back in for maintain 23psi the most possible and i dont heard any leak

But the fact is, bpv is like a big hole leak no? If all the boost air go through it and go in the intake , how the motor can handle the boost? How a micro leak can change anything versus bpv
 Old 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

For info, i have a upgraded tmic, so i dont have a lot of coupler. When i wot, i feel the unstable power caused by the big variation of the pressure(19-21psi)
 Old 05-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #19

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

You may need to adjust your boost correction table.

Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
 Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Boost compensation are the same than all OTS map. But the problem dont come from the map...
 Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Your wastegate actuator may be more sensitive to changes in wastegate duty cycle because drive pressures are different. Your boost correction table might now be considered too agressive if you see boost fluctuating trying to hunt the target.

BTW: OTS tunes are cookie cutter junk that are typically only good enough to get your car to run "okay".

Other rides:
History:
 Old 05-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mini Franki View Post
After i tested all the boost side(blocked the bypass hose), no leak. Yeah I lose maybe 1psi seconde when i test but i put air back in for maintain 23psi the most possible and i dont heard any leak
You lose (leak) 1psi per second and you think it's not a leak? GTFO! I don't believe it's a huge leak, but it's not helping anything.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I already have 10% of wgdc compensation. Its a BT custom tune and my tuner didnt touch the boost correction table

I dont heard a audible leak if i have one but losing 1psi second seems normal according to the guys of the forum. Because pressure leave by the motor valves, this is not perfectly sealed

The think i dont understand is, all the pressure leave by the bpv hose is like a leak no? So why a little leak somewhere else can play on that?

Since i disassembled, cleaned and greased my bpv, i think that helped. I need to do a log again. Ill maybe buy a new oring kit for it just for be sure
 Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

The BPV isn't open when you're boosting, so no its not a leak...or at least it shouldn't be leaking.

Your valves should seal pretty good. I'd hate to think it's normal for combustion to blow past the valve into your intake...even if it's a miniscule amount.
During a cylinder leakdown test, ideal would be 100% of the leaking is going past your rings and nothing going past your valves.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok i understand

I didnt do a leakdown test, only a boost test for check leak between turbo and motor. You suggest to me to do a leakdown test?
 Old 05-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

I only made a reference to leakdown test because that is the test to check for leaky valves, injector seals, or excessive piston ring leakage. If your valves are leaking, you've got other problems.
Now, during a boost leak test, you are applying pressure to the back side if the valve. Valve springs are only so strong and excessive pressure in the intake can push them open and leak. I believe that value for our stock springs is near 30psi, plus or minus a few.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 05-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok ,ill do a last log for see if problem still there. If yes, ill do a check up at my speed garage

Another thing, when i did my boost leak test, that smelled a bit gaz, this is normal?

Last edited by Mini Franki; 05-21-2018 at 07:30 PM.
 Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #28

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

When i told him about the leak test pressure and internal drop, i was referring to 1out of 4 cylinders always have open valves so i would be surprise you can inflate turbo inlet side and not lose air inside the engine.

I mentionned the bov leak after he checked the 2 hose of the tmic setup...BTW ....The BPV valve should remain sealed closed under boost. (It should only open under vaccuum)
The o-ring on mine was shot and i had a leak from the top so the piston may not hold the boost correctly just by the spring...

So if you replace your filter by a boost tester and you don't get leaks outside of the engine...That point is good.

Running bt with all sort of mods, i don't think you can expect the tune to react like a clock with always the same exact level and response time you had the week before. Some days it is colder and boost rise faster, some warmer days make it harder for the engine to flow....All the parameters has a margin factor....

I did notice last month that if i ran out of meth, it takes about 10-15sec of pump running full speed to bleed air out of the system....The car will react differently under that condition.

Checking corrections tables could be a good place to confirm the tune allow enough error factor...

Checking the maf cal and fuel trim could be another way to find out if there is something wrong.

Mini-Franki may try to fine tune it with his tuner and probably would need to give a little more room to the error margin...

For the smell, it could be some oil mix from the piping but make sure you don't have a fuel leak around the hpfp/injectors if it really smell like a clean fuel spill...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky to save fuel and when the speed is broken
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
When i told him about the leak test pressure and internal drop, i was referring to 1out of 4 cylinders always have open valves so i would be surprise you can inflate turbo inlet side and not lose air inside the engine.
I want to shoot myself now. I see now that the pressure drop he was seeing wasn't leaky valves, but air sneaking past the rings on the cylinders that had open intake valves.

Other rides:
History:
 Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@fstr

I cant hate you, you tried to help me and i appreciate it

Car seem to running good since i do a bpv tune up. Grease the oring help to seal and to reduce chance to leak

New orings are coming. Ill give news soon

Thx for help

Last edited by Mini Franki; 05-22-2018 at 03:05 PM.