Mazdaspeed Forums

Mazdaspeed Forums (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/)
-   2010 MS3 - Car Audio & Electronics (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f434/)
-   -   51r battery life (http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f434/51r-battery-life-156865/)

skeurton 10-11-2013 07:59 AM

51r battery life

I've had an HTP small battery tray and Autocraft Gold 51r battery for the past 13 months. I did not start my car at all yesterday. The last time I started it was Wednesday night. Went to start the car this morning and nothing. It didn't even try to turn over. Got a couple lights on the gauge cluster and the overhead lights were really dim.

I checked the battery voltage and it was 4.8v. I double checked to see if I had left any lights on or doors open and I hadn't, and I know for sure that the driver door was closed all the way when I first opened it. AP is wired to a switched power source, so that always turns off with the car.

Called on the assistance of @Geo13; and the car started right up with a jump. Let the car run for a while and revved the engine a few times. Alternator seems to be ok since the voltage at the wires was a steady 13.9v. Turned the car off, let it sit for a bit, and pumped the brakes to discharge the system a bit. I checked the battery voltage again and it was 12.4v. So that makes me think the alternator is definitely ok. Tried starting the car again and fired right up.

On my drive to work, I thought about it a little more. I have noticed that the car had been cranking a little bit more slowly over the past month or so, but still fired up every time. I suspect the battery is probably on its way out, but just seems so odd since it's only been barely over a year since I bought and installed it.

So a couple questions....

1) How long would you expect a smaller 51r battery to last on this car?

2) Would the battery tray design (i.e. not enclosed like OEM, leaving it exposed to engine bay heat) affect the battery life that much?

Heat is definitely a killer, and now that the weather is cooling down considerably, maybe it's revealing the effects of all that heat.

I'm gonna pull the battery and have it tested this weekend. Here are the specs on it, in case anyone is interested.

AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 51R, 500 CCA-51R-2 - Advance Auto Parts

Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 51R
Cold Cranking Amps: 500 amps
Cranking Amps: 625 amps

El_Diablo 10-11-2013 08:11 AM

Even a smaller battery shouldn't die that quickly. You might want to check for a draw with everything off.

KusteLokal 10-11-2013 08:17 AM

Being exposed shouldn't matter. The batteries on a MS6 are exposed and last just fine.

skeurton 10-11-2013 08:28 AM

Thanks, fellas. Gonna test for battery drain today as soon as I get a chance.

ANITIX87 10-11-2013 08:41 AM

Who. Is. Your. Avatar?

(I can't help with the battery issue...sorry)

TIS

anavrinIV 10-11-2013 09:01 AM

I've had a 51r for about 5 months now with no issues. I don't expect it to last more than 3 years but 1 is nothing. So far no issues starting in the cooler weather.

dereeek 10-11-2013 09:09 AM

I have the same battery as you, mine has not died yet. I've left my car sitting for one week, two weeks and when I got home it started right up. I unplug everything though.
I found in the past with the stock battery when I left my radar detecter plugged in and my Ultra gauge they would drain the battery.

Last_Loser 10-11-2013 09:14 AM

I have the same battery and had it for about a year and it died luckily I had the 3 year warranty or some shit on it and they just gave me a new one I checked the whole charging system and couldnt come up with anything and it tested bad so just threw the new one in and forgot about it

skeurton 10-11-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANITIX87 (Post 2292756)
Who. Is. Your. Avatar?

(I can't help with the battery issue...sorry)

TIS

Misa Campo

And you're welcome. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by anavrinIV (Post 2292794)
I've had a 51r for about 5 months now with no issues. I don't expect it to last more than 3 years but 1 is nothing. So far no issues starting in the cooler weather.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dereeek (Post 2292809)
I have the same battery as you, mine has not died yet. I've left my car sitting for one week, two weeks and when I got home it started right up. I unplug everything though.
I found in the past with the stock battery when I left my radar detecter plugged in and my Ultra gauge they would drain the battery.

Yeah, didn't have any problems last winter. Left my car at an airport in freezing temps for a week and started right up when I got back. Same conditions when I left my car at my dad's house for a weekend and again it started with no issues.

I've been trying to recall any electrical work I've done recently. I installed a meth kit in August and a device switcher for my Aeroforce gauges and AP. The meth pump is fused and relayed, and the PWM valve is relayed. I can't imagine there's any significant problems with it since it doesn't run when off, but I'm gonna try disconnecting it to see if it's drawing any power. The Aeroforce gauges have always run off a switched power source, and I've wired up the AP the same way, so both are always off when the car is off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last_Loser (Post 2292819)
I have the same battery and had it for about a year and it died luckily I had the 3 year warranty or some shit on it and they just gave me a new one I checked the whole charging system and couldnt come up with anything and it tested bad so just threw the new one in and forgot about it

I've thought about this too. Could just be a bad battery.

Last_Loser 10-11-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeurton (Post 2292834)
Misa Campo

And you're welcome. :D

Yeah, didn't have any problems last winter. Left my car at an airport in freezing temps for a week and started right up when I got back. Same conditions when I left my car at my dad's house for a weekend and again it started with no issues.

I've been trying to recall any electrical work I've done recently. I installed a meth kit in August and a device switcher for my Aeroforce gauges and AP. The meth pump is fused and relayed, and the PWM valve is relayed. I can't imagine there's any significant problems with it since it doesn't run when off, but I'm gonna try disconnecting it to see if it's drawing any power. The Aeroforce gauges have always run off a switched power source, and I've wired up the AP the same way, so both are always off when the car is off.

I've thought about this too. Could just be a bad battery.

Yeah mine was the same way it was fine all winter and up until last week I could jump it and drive wherever but as soon as the car sat for more then an hour it was done and had to get jumped again and when tested it had 14 cc amps so he gave me a new battery under warranty so im just gonna keep replacing it with a warranty battery until I get a better one

skeurton 10-11-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last_Loser (Post 2292850)
Yeah mine was the same way it was fine all winter and up until last week I could jump it and drive wherever but as soon as the car sat for more then an hour it was done and had to get jumped again and when tested it had 14 cc amps so he gave me a new battery under warranty so im just gonna keep replacing it with a warranty battery until I get a better one

Just curious... did you ever do a drain test? Or just chalk it up to a bad battery?

manila 10-11-2013 09:43 AM

@skeurton;
I have the same battery and installed it back in May when I switched to the HTP setup.
Haven't had it installed for that long, but it seems to be holding up. There has been occassions when I have the car on ACC to listen to music when I detail the inside.

I would just say turn it in for a new one since it has a 3yr warranty.
Hope this helps.

Lex 10-11-2013 10:21 AM

Could be a dud or a battery that sat on the shelf for too long. Replace it under warranty and see if the new one lasts. What kills lead acids the fastest is having them drain very low (leaving lights on, etc) but you will know if this is the case since it would be hard to start the car on other occasions.

Last_Loser 10-11-2013 02:51 PM

I have no idea wht they did advance runs it through whatever test they need to determine if it qualified for a warranty replacement so when he said yeah its bad I just took the new one and ran

Finger Blasted

manila 10-11-2013 02:54 PM

^^LOL @ Finger Blasted :fing26:

Last_Loser 10-12-2013 12:04 PM

you get this figured out man?