register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Car Audio & Electronics

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree5Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

FatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Default Eonon GA5163 Review

I know someone else has a GM5163 review, but i'd like to try my take at maybe doing another thread for specifically this deck.

First impression:

The price was considerably fair given the amount of features which is equivalent to your "standard" Navigation unit. I ordered the item on a Saturday, and they shipped Monday, arrived at my door on Thursday. That's without question the fastest international shipping i've ever had. That's the standard shipping. Not $3000 express shipping from Hong Kong.

The box it came in is actually VERY generic. No branding of Eonon anywhere on the box. Just says "Car Audio Deck" and then the features in bubbles on it. Which is a bit strange there's no brand name, but whatever. I was reserving my true criticism OUT of the box. Out of the box, it was a very factory looking deck. Very sturdy. The buttons don't feel cheap and wonky. They're solid like you would expect from factory. All the plug and play parts came with it. There was ZERO need to do any shopping for other parts. It is as plug and play as it gets.

It took me 30 minutes to install from removing the some bits of the interior, and putting it all back together.

The overall HUD/Interface of the unit, i wasn't entirely impressed. The icons that were on the screen felt very useless. The Nav, because it uses Google Maps, does require an internet connection. No way around it. However, you could just use a 3G dongle. Problem solved. My biggest problem was that my iPod couldn't be read. No idea why. It was plugged in, showed that it was being charged, but the actual song/artist information was not on the screen, and i couldn't play any music. Said "no music". Whatever. The app's that come with the deck are very outdated. It also doesn't come with Google Playstore. So, you cannot update ANY app. So, honestly, not impressed with the deck. FOR NOW.

Today i spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware from Android Jellybean (4.2.2) to run Android KitKat (4.4.4). At one point, i nearly bricked the deck. If anyone has ever booted their android into recovery mode, and seen the whole "Reboot system" and a bunch of other options, then you'll know what screen i'm talking about. I wasn't able to select ANYTHING in this screen. I figure i'll turn off the car, and see if that does anything. I turned off the car, but the damn screen was still stuck! FORTUNATELY, and i mean that this is an incredible feature, is that there's a reset button on the front of the deck. I'm so happy that Eonon added this. After doing a little fandangling, i uploaded some of the .img files onto a USB and booted the deck from the USB card and it worked! So now my deck is running 4.4.4!!!

That being said, the image i was using is also a rooted ROM. So now i can add any damn thing i want. Now the deck looks SUPER clean and proper. Like a real deck should look like. As for the iPod issue, i'm past that. I've just decided to get a 128GB flash drive, and plug it into one of the two USB plugs. NOW, i use Google Music to play the music, and now it functions like a 100% updated Android tablet, but specifically made for your car.

That being said, if KitKat came with the deck instead of Jellybean, this deck would have just gotten a 10/10 right off the bat. Now that everything is working with 4.4.4, i am actually rating this deck a solid 9/10. It now does everything i want it to. It's very responsive. Fast. Does anything you'd expect an Android to do.

The images below are from when i first bought it to the last shot i've taken. The photo of the Torque app is prior to KitKat, and the girl getting pounded was to see if the internet worked. The picture with all that fancy geeky text is the deck being flashed.

WORD OF CAUTION: MY METHOD OF INSTALL WITH THE FILE HAS BEEN REMOVED BY THE HOST. PLEASE VISIT THIS WEBSITE FOR DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS AND HOW-TO.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662
JBR Rear Sway Bar / JBR Short Shifter Plate / JBR Shifter Bushings / JBR Small Battery Box / JBR 3.5” Wide Path Intake / JBR 88A RMM / Bosch 3Bar Map Sensor / Bosch PNP Harness / CS Turbo / Purple Drank Tune / Ultimate Racing Catted DP / Ultimate Racing Test Pipe / NGK6510 Spark Plugs / Damond Oil Catch Can / Grimmspeed 3 Port EBCS / Autotech HPFP / Braided SS 5AN Fluid Lines / Treadstone TR8 FMIC / CX Racing FMIC Piping / Vibrant Couplers / Koni STR.T / H&R Springs / Forge V1 BPV / CS STI Front Lip / 17x9+35 XXR 968 / 245/45/17 / Potenza RE760 / 94 Octane + 4 Gal E85

Last edited by FatalSinz; 06-10-2015 at 05:41 PM.
FatalSinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FatalSinz For This Useful Post:
aromig (05-01-2015), CHUNKYBOWSER (03-17-2015), Code Monkey (03-17-2015), Dj_Deadman (09-29-2016), Easter Bunny (03-18-2015), g00s3y (03-18-2015), jax ms3gt (06-18-2015), joeyspeed3 (03-17-2015), KiwiFlavor (02-29-2016), Machiavelli (04-26-2015), SparkySparks (03-17-2015), superman (04-23-2015), thespacecadet (03-18-2015)
 Old 02-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #2

jdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,654 Times in 805 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the same deck. Out of the box it is decent for a "generic" chinese radio. I updated mine to kitkat also but ran into an issue. Which IMG did you use? And what MCU are you on? I gained a lot of features but completely lost the ability to pick up any radio stations.

As far as needing a data service, just stuck an ATT Velocity mobile hotspot in the car with a 30gb data plan (overkill I'm sure).

HTA 3076 | HTP 4" Intake, battery tray, under mount piping | CPE Exhaust Manifold, downpipe, FMIC & Stage 2 RMM | MD TMM and PMM | Tial MV-R ewg w/ Kozmic dump tube | VCTS delete/Ported IM | JBR OCC, EGR delete, BSD w/ oil pan baffle & RSB | SP63 Oil Cap Breather | Synapse SB BPV | UR CBE | Autotech HPFP | H & R Coilovers | Whiteline Endlinks | Manley Pistons & Rods | L19 Head Studs | Kozmic 6th Port w/ DW65c ITFP | Snow Performance Stg 2 Meth | JMF Manifold | SouthBend Stg 3 Endurance Clutch | Tuned with
jdmage_mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

FatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond reputeFatalSinz has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not sure if i'm publicly allowed to post links to webpages with the .img contents. I'll toss you a PM.
JBR Rear Sway Bar / JBR Short Shifter Plate / JBR Shifter Bushings / JBR Small Battery Box / JBR 3.5” Wide Path Intake / JBR 88A RMM / Bosch 3Bar Map Sensor / Bosch PNP Harness / CS Turbo / Purple Drank Tune / Ultimate Racing Catted DP / Ultimate Racing Test Pipe / NGK6510 Spark Plugs / Damond Oil Catch Can / Grimmspeed 3 Port EBCS / Autotech HPFP / Braided SS 5AN Fluid Lines / Treadstone TR8 FMIC / CX Racing FMIC Piping / Vibrant Couplers / Koni STR.T / H&R Springs / Forge V1 BPV / CS STI Front Lip / 17x9+35 XXR 968 / 245/45/17 / Potenza RE760 / 94 Octane + 4 Gal E85
 Old 02-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #4

jdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by FatalSinz View Post
I'm not sure if i'm publicly allowed to post links to webpages with the .img contents. I'll toss you a PM.
I got the links, thanks! I'm going to give the new IMG and MCU a try tonight. I like the version of kitkat I have now but hate that the radio quit working all together.

HTA 3076 | HTP 4" Intake, battery tray, under mount piping | CPE Exhaust Manifold, downpipe, FMIC & Stage 2 RMM | MD TMM and PMM | Tial MV-R ewg w/ Kozmic dump tube | VCTS delete/Ported IM | JBR OCC, EGR delete, BSD w/ oil pan baffle & RSB | SP63 Oil Cap Breather | Synapse SB BPV | UR CBE | Autotech HPFP | H & R Coilovers | Whiteline Endlinks | Manley Pistons & Rods | L19 Head Studs | Kozmic 6th Port w/ DW65c ITFP | Snow Performance Stg 2 Meth | JMF Manifold | SouthBend Stg 3 Endurance Clutch | Tuned with
 Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Strange. I never use the radio...ever. I don't even know the purpose of radio anymore since it's all recycled material that's the same shit every damn day. Maybe that's just my local station. I'm more of a "metal head", so my type of music is frowned upon and apparently unpopular in every sense of the word. So, the Micro SD Class 10, 64GB does the trick. That being said, if you ever use any media player, i couldn't suggest Google Play Music any more. It's so awesome and compatible with the deck.

Good luck!
 Old 02-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

I loaded up Pandora since I use that 99% of the time. I also keep a wireless hotspot in the car 24/7. Sometimes I travel from Arkansas to Colorado to visit family and cell service is not always available so a radio option would be nice for backup.

I'm not a music head enough to actually have music stored on any storage device.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:43 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

How do you use wireless? Through tether or 3G dongle?
 Old 02-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #8
hidin in yo bushes

CWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the worldCWP_MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 12,755 Times in 4,724 Posts
Groans: 122
Groaned at 70 Times in 57 Posts

Fuck you and your seated heat options, canuck!

Rich Tuned
330WHP and 363TQ
10-19-13 Moore Automotive

CWP_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CWP_MS3 For This Useful Post:
KiwiFlavor (02-29-2016)
 Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CWP_MS3 View Post
Fuck you and your seated heat options, canuck!
Ask me nicely, and you can
CWP_MS3 likes this.
 Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

thespacecadet is just really nicethespacecadet is just really nicethespacecadet is just really nicethespacecadet is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default couple clarifying questions

Ok, I'm a MSF newbie and I came here to the forum looking for this exact info. Recently picked up a 2013 Base-speed3 and have read conflicting things all over the place about this unit over the ease of install. Was there any splicing with the 8 channel Bose going into the unit? Anything beyond plug and play on the install?

Also, Where did you pick your unit up from?
I'm curious because your experience was so good, and I'd like it to be just as easy for me!

Thanks for your time man!

and to be clear, I can run the unit tethered to a phone yes?
thespacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

How do you use wireless? Through tether or 3G dongle?
I have a mobile hotspot from att that I keep in the car.

Originally Posted by thespacecadet View Post
Ok, I'm a MSF newbie and I came here to the forum looking for this exact info. Recently picked up a 2013 Base-speed3 and have read conflicting things all over the place about this unit over the ease of install. Was there any splicing with the 8 channel Bose going into the unit? Anything beyond plug and play on the install? Also, Where did you pick your unit up from? I'm curious because your experience was so good, and I'd like it to be just as easy for me! Thanks for your time man! and to be clear, I can run the unit tethered to a phone yes?
My car is not a Bose model so I can't answer any of those questions. I ordered mine directly from Eonon.com shipping was extremely fast and so far customer service has been ok.

Last edited by jdmage_mx5; 03-09-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #12

thespacecadet is just really nicethespacecadet is just really nicethespacecadet is just really nicethespacecadet is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jdmage_mx5 View Post

My car is not a Bose model so I can't answer any of those questions. I ordered mine directly from Eonon.com shipping was extremely fast and so far customer service has been ok.
I was actually pointing those exact questions regarding bose at fatalsinz because he has the '13 with Bose, but I do appreciate your addressing them anyway

and I also appreciate you confirming my question on the wifi. I'm planning on running off the 30Gb plan I have on my phone.
 Old 03-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, I'm a MSF newbie and I came here to the forum looking for this exact info. Recently picked up a 2013 Base-speed3 and have read conflicting things all over the place about this unit over the ease of install. Was there any splicing with the 8 channel Bose going into the unit? Anything beyond plug and play on the install?

Also, Where did you pick your unit up from?
I'm curious because your experience was so good, and I'd like it to be just as easy for me!

Thanks for your time man!

and to be clear, I can run the unit tethered to a phone yes?
Literally, zero splicing was done. It was straight up unplugging the plugs from the back of the old head unit, and then just plugging it into the new one. Simple as that! Zero issues i've encountered in regards to any interference with the BOSE system.

And it definitely can be tethered to your phone! Or a wifi dongle if you have one.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatalSinz For This Useful Post:
neganox (03-26-2015)
 Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

Literally, zero splicing was done. It was straight up unplugging the plugs from the back of the old head unit, and then just plugging it into the new one. Simple as that! Zero issues i've encountered in regards to any interference with the BOSE system.

And it definitely can be tethered to your phone! Or a wifi dongle if you have one.
Fantastic, going to order one ASAP.

Lowered on eibachs, unkown type aftermarket rear sway bar installed

short shifter, turbo inlet pipe, test pipe

current mod status is purchased state. more to come.......so much more

Previous ride
2015 Mazda6 Touring-manual
 Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Feline Führer

neganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the worldneganox is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,356 Times in 1,252 Posts
Groans: 49
Not Ranked  0 score     

If slimrom could be compiled for this, I'd be all over it.
geekd4d likes this.
neganox is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #16

joeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant futurejoeyspeed3 has a brilliant future
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

@FatalSinz; I'm buying one of this as well, can i please get the links with the ROM too, also do your stock aux port still work or the unit comes with new cables for it
Bnr S3 v2//Cobb AP//Autotech internals//3 BAR MAP sensor//3 port EBCS//CNT catback//Ebay catless DP//Tr8 core with cxracing piping kit//Hks bpv//Jbr True 3.5" intake//Jbr ssp//Jbr shift knob//Jbr Trilogy//XXR 527 habanero 18x8.75 +35//H&R springs//385/370 AWD mustang dyno

Last edited by joeyspeed3; 03-09-2015 at 10:34 PM.
joeyspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Fantastic, going to order one ASAP.
Originally Posted by neganox View Post
If slimrom could be compiled for this, I'd be all over it.
I just fired off installation instructions for the new firmware to @joeyspeed3

@neganox You definitely don't need a slimrom. The firmware is rooted as well, so you can feel free to delete whatever the hell you want. Generally, you'd want a slimrom for battery consumption and bloatware prevention. Given that the deck doesn't run off a battery like your phone, and the deck being rooted, you're free to do whatever you want.

You guys can feel free to thank me for this post! I'd appreciate it. PM me for install instructions as there will be some Russian language involved that i can help you get by with the instructions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatalSinz For This Useful Post:
Blown_Dan (03-18-2015), neganox (03-14-2015)
 Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #18

CHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think I may purchase one of these today. Think you could shoot me the Kitkat instructions?

Engine
| GTX3067R | Cobb AP | Autotech Internals | HTP 3.5" Intake | M2 Long Downpipe |
| ATP FMIC | Forge V1 | Grimmspeed EBCS | 3 BAR MAP | NGK Iridium IX |
| Damond EGR Delete | JBR OCC | E33 Self Tune | DO7 Meth |

Handling
| Damond RMM | Damond PMM | JBR 88a TMM | JBR Shift Weight & Knob |
| JBR Rear Sway Bar | Cobb Springs |
CHUNKYBOWSER is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Absolutely. I've already had an MSF member approach me and successfully walked him through the process. Toss me a PM when you're ready.
 Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #20

SparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,433 Times in 598 Posts
Groans: 8
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Has anyone found an rooted/updated version for the radio that keeps it's functionality as a radio? It would be nice to keep the radio, steering wheel, DVD(would probably never use it but would still be nice to keep) and reverse camera.

How much of the stock functionality where you able to keep?
South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Endurance | TWM Full Replacement Shifter | Synapse Engineering BPV | Autotech Internals | Grimmspeed EBCS - 3port | NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs | CNT Catless DP and CBE w/resonator deleted | COBB AP - E35 Tune | HTP 3.5" Intake w/ AMSOIL Dry Filter and Pre-Filter | HTP Battery Tray w/ Energizer 51R | CP-E TMIC | CorkSport DISI Silicone Boost Tubes | Damond Motorsports/Saikou Michi Co. Stage2 OCC | Damond Motorsports Short Shift Plate | Sure Countershift | BOSCH 3 Bar MAP w/MattJackson86 PnP Harness | JBR Rear Sway Bar | JBR EGR Block Off Kit | JBR Manifold - TIG | JBR Throttle Body TIG & Coolant Bypass | JBR 88a RMM | JBR 88a TMM | JBR 80a PMM |JBR DISI Bypass Valve Hose | Ported and Polished Intake Manifold DIY | RX8 Wheels w/ Nitto Motivo 235/40/18 Tires | CP-E Towplate | DIY Custom 600g Shift Knob | Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT | 30% / 15% Tint | Craven Speed Stubby Antenna | Broadway 400mm Rear View Mirror | Debadged Mazdaspeed 3

Waiting to be installed: Devil's Own Stage 2 DVC-30 Meth Injection | Damond Motorsports Meth Throttle Body Plate
On Order:
Coming Soon:
DIY Projects:

FYCN - TEAM LBN BEERS - FYCN-TEAM MUMFORD - FYCN
SparkySparks is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi sparky! With my firmware, I can confirm that all controls work EXCEPT for the Bluetooth hangup and answer button. Not a terrible trade off in my mind as I rarely ever receive or make phone calls.

Radio still works 100%! Can still use all the other steering wheel functions. Volume up/down, next/previous track, etc. DVD works as well! It's even got its own button on the head unit itself! The backup camera function is built into the device. As soon as you go into reverse the camera appears. The downside for me is I don't use one, and cannot disable this feature, so anytime I reverse the screen switches to the backup camera, but of course since I don't have one, it's just a blank screen. However your music doesn't turn off during this so it shouldn't really be a bother. Not like you'll be looking at what song is playing while you're reversing so the only reason to look down while reversing is if you had the camera.

Still, in my personal opinion, the best deck I've ever seen. Bold statement, but true. The fact the deck firmware is rooted gives me infinite possibilities as to how I want it as opposed to an unchangeable shitty software.
SparkySparks (03-17-2015)
 Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #22

SparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the worldSparkySparks is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi sparky! With my firmware, I can confirm that all controls work EXCEPT for the Bluetooth hangup and answer button. Not a terrible trade off in my mind as I rarely ever receive or make phone calls.

Radio still works 100%! Can still use all the other steering wheel functions. Volume up/down, next/previous track, etc. DVD works as well! It's even got its own button on the head unit itself! The backup camera function is built into the device. As soon as you go into reverse the camera appears. The downside for me is I don't use one, and cannot disable this feature, so anytime I reverse the screen switches to the backup camera, but of course since I don't have one, it's just a blank screen. However your music doesn't turn off during this so it shouldn't really be a bother. Not like you'll be looking at what song is playing while you're reversing so the only reason to look down while reversing is if you had the camera.

Still, in my personal opinion, the best deck I've ever seen. Bold statement, but true. The fact the deck firmware is rooted gives me infinite possibilities as to how I want it as opposed to an unchangeable shitty software.
Thank you, I wasn't sure if all of the controls for the steering wheel buttons, DVD and back up camera were part of the stock image or if it was separate. Kind of sucks that the phone buttons on the steering wheel, other then that does the bluetooth calls work like normal? I'm guessing there is phone control options on the radio similar to on Android phone. How does the syncing to your phone contact list work with the rooted rom? Also wondering if the lighting adjust with headlights.
South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Endurance | TWM Full Replacement Shifter | Synapse Engineering BPV | Autotech Internals | Grimmspeed EBCS - 3port | NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs | CNT Catless DP and CBE w/resonator deleted | COBB AP - E35 Tune | HTP 3.5" Intake w/ AMSOIL Dry Filter and Pre-Filter | HTP Battery Tray w/ Energizer 51R | CP-E TMIC | CorkSport DISI Silicone Boost Tubes | Damond Motorsports/Saikou Michi Co. Stage2 OCC | Damond Motorsports Short Shift Plate | Sure Countershift | BOSCH 3 Bar MAP w/MattJackson86 PnP Harness | JBR Rear Sway Bar | JBR EGR Block Off Kit | JBR Manifold - TIG | JBR Throttle Body TIG & Coolant Bypass | JBR 88a RMM | JBR 88a TMM | JBR 80a PMM |JBR DISI Bypass Valve Hose | Ported and Polished Intake Manifold DIY | RX8 Wheels w/ Nitto Motivo 235/40/18 Tires | CP-E Towplate | DIY Custom 600g Shift Knob | Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT | 30% / 15% Tint | Craven Speed Stubby Antenna | Broadway 400mm Rear View Mirror | Debadged Mazdaspeed 3

Waiting to be installed: Devil's Own Stage 2 DVC-30 Meth Injection | Damond Motorsports Meth Throttle Body Plate
On Order:
Coming Soon:
DIY Projects:

Last edited by SparkySparks; 03-17-2015 at 11:13 AM.
 Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I haven't quite figured out if there's a more convenient way to add contacts, but I already have all my contacts backed up on Google, so I tether my phone to my deck and log into my google account, upload my contacts to the contacts app on the deck and voila, dial from that. There is an integrated phone feature in the deck. Now this is where other decks do win, but with this deck, you can't dial through your phone to call someone, it has to be dialed through the deck. The integrated microphone I was sketchy about but it's clear as day which is awesome.
 Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #24

Not Ranked  0 score     

So it uses your Google contacts for the phone book, which is fine with me as that is what I would be using on my phone. When you say you can not dial from your phone does that mean the radio uses Google Talk to make calls or you just have to dial using the radio?

On Order:
Coming Soon:
DIY Projects:

Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, I mean that you have to use the deck to dial. Or you can just click the contact to dial like your phone. I've yet to try third party apps for calling which could and probably would work. My car is sidelined at my friends garage so I don't have access to confirm.
 Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #26

CHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the worldCHUNKYBOWSER is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you know if a USB OBDII adapter such as

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink SX USB Scan Tool - OBD-II Adapter | ScanTool.net - ScanTool.net

will work with Torque on this head unit? I currently have a bluetooth OBDII adapter, but I was hoping to get a faster read speed and less lag by using a wire.

Engine
| GTX3067R | Cobb AP | Autotech Internals | HTP 3.5" Intake | M2 Long Downpipe |

Handling
 Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It absolutely 100% works! I've tried it myself. Plug that sucker into the obd2 port, and the deck will read it via Bluetooth!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150220_204613.jpg (3.33 MB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150220_204555.jpg (3.70 MB, 52 views)
 Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

It absolutely 100% works! I've tried it myself. Plug that sucker into the obd2 port, and the deck will read it via Bluetooth!
I am aware of that, sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The adapter I linked to is a USB adapter, meant to be plugged into the head unit directly. I was wondering if the head unit could read the OBD data through its USB port.

From the research I've done, it seems that it should be able to, I was just wondering if you tried it in this manner.

EDIT:

After further research, the OBDLink SX should work plugged in directly to the head unit. Thanks for your help.

Engine

Handling

Last edited by CHUNKYBOWSER; 03-17-2015 at 08:02 PM.
 Old 03-18-2015, 02:43 AM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ahhh. Now that I cannot confirm. I've never tried it and the deck is very new so lots of people haven't really reviewed the product. I don't see why it wouldn't work to be honest. But no guarantees.
 Old 03-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #30

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,167 Times in 964 Posts
Groans: 438
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just in case anyone else is interested in purchasing this. I just got one off of ebay brand new for $350 shipped. They list it for $398 I think, but they accepted my offer of $350

This seller accepted my bid, not sure if others will - GA5163 New Android 8"L Car DVD Player Radio Stereo WiFi GPS for Mazda 3 2010 12 | eBay
 Old 03-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

Be on the look out for warranty support. I saw on a couple of forums that an Eonon representative note if you bought from eBay or Amazon the 2 year warranty was not valid.

Basically, by buying off of the Eonon site and paying more you were buying the warranty coverage.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #32

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good to know that. Each seller I looked at offers 1 year warranty with it, so at least it's better than nothing.
 Old 03-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Jdmage is 100% bang on. Was going to say the same thing. Eonon WILL NOT support you if you buy from a third party. They say this on their website. Furthermore, Eonon ships day of, or after, and arrives on your doorstep in less than a week. I ordered on a Saturday, it was delivered Tuesday.

The eBay stuff is approximately 3-4 weeks for delivery. If you ask me it's well worth buying from the manufacturer.
jdmage_mx5 (03-18-2015)
 Old 03-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #34

Not Ranked  0 score     

The unit is only $389 with free shipping on Eonon's site and you get the full warranty, worth the extra $40 in my eyes.

On Order:
Coming Soon:
DIY Projects:

The Following User Says Thank You to SparkySparks For This Useful Post:
jdmage_mx5 (03-18-2015)
 Old 03-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ordered yesterday from Eonon's website. Estimated delivery is Monday, pretty quick coming from China. I'll let everyone know what I think when I get it.

Engine

Handling
 Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #36

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's a fantastic purchase! You'll truly love the deck. For real. Send me a PM for firmware install instructions.
 Old 03-19-2015, 04:05 AM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

Jdmage is 100% bang on. Was going to say the same thing. Eonon WILL NOT support you if you buy from a third party. They say this on their website. Furthermore, Eonon ships day of, or after, and arrives on your doorstep in less than a week. I ordered on a Saturday, it was delivered Tuesday.

The eBay stuff is approximately 3-4 weeks for delivery. If you ask me it's well worth buying from the manufacturer.

No it isn't that long for delivery, I ordered Tuesday night, shipped and tracking within 12 hours, and it will be here Monday. So about 3-4 business days, not weeks, don't spread misinformation.

Right now, $350/$389 isn't a big difference, but when it goes back to the regular price of $425, saving $75 for just 1 year less warranty isn't bad.
 Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 AM   #38

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My mistake. Forgot were already in March. I didn't have my head on there.
 Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd send Eonon an email because I don't think you will be offered any tech support or even the one year warranty FROM THEM if you bought from someone on eBay.

I'd honestly be curious if what I've read is true or if in the end they will provide tech support no matter what because they can not distinguish who bought from eBay and who bought from the website.

Seeing as this unit is a "cheap" chinese unit I'll take all the warranty I can get. Either way you got a good deal and a nice radio that's worth tinkering with.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Eonon asks for proof of purchase in order to provide support. You have to provide them your order number when you purchased and it has to match your billing info.

Warranty is a fantastic thing.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f434/eonon-ga5163-review-184655/
Posted By For Type Date
Eonon GA5163 Review This thread Refback 07-01-2015 09:12 AM