register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Car Audio & Electronics

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree5Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #121

talkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jdmage_mx5 View Post
For the CanBus settings go to:

Settings > factory settings (password is 126) > applications tab.

For the CanBus I have "09 MAZDA&OPEL(Simple)" selected.
Thank you so much for your help.

The MCU/update.img took care of my issues along with adjusting the CANBUS to what you had in the picture.

FYI This MCU version is 2.20 and Android version 4.4.4, i believe. It's an older build but it seems to be solid. I'll be staying on this one.

Autotech HPFP Internals, Cobb APv3, JBR 3" Aluminum Intake, Corksport Short Throw Shifter, Corksport Shifter Bushings, Corksport Boost Tubes, CPE TMIC, Damond Motorsports OCC, Damond Motorsports RMM, Damond Motorsports PMM, Eonon GA5163 Headunit, Eonon A0125N Backup Camera, Magnaflow CBE, FreekTune'd
talkdrizzytome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to talkdrizzytome For This Useful Post:
jdmage_mx5 (06-11-2015)
 Old 06-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #122

jdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,654 Times in 805 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Being the fact that it is my radio I probably won't stress over making sure it is the latest. This one seemed solid enough for me for now. I do like having the xposed framework installed. Being able to change the resolution on a few apps like Pandora made the channel scrolling more enjoyable.

HTA 3076 | HTP 4" Intake, battery tray, under mount piping | CPE Exhaust Manifold, downpipe, FMIC & Stage 2 RMM | MD TMM and PMM | Tial MV-R ewg w/ Kozmic dump tube | VCTS delete/Ported IM | JBR OCC, EGR delete, BSD w/ oil pan baffle & RSB | SP63 Oil Cap Breather | Synapse SB BPV | UR CBE | Autotech HPFP | H & R Coilovers | Whiteline Endlinks | Manley Pistons & Rods | L19 Head Studs | Kozmic 6th Port w/ DW65c ITFP | Snow Performance Stg 2 Meth | JMF Manifold | SouthBend Stg 3 Endurance Clutch | Tuned with
jdmage_mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #123

talkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond reputetalkdrizzytome has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

What do you use to tether an Internet connection? Bluetooth tethering or mobile hotspot app.

Autotech HPFP Internals, Cobb APv3, JBR 3" Aluminum Intake, Corksport Short Throw Shifter, Corksport Shifter Bushings, Corksport Boost Tubes, CPE TMIC, Damond Motorsports OCC, Damond Motorsports RMM, Damond Motorsports PMM, Eonon GA5163 Headunit, Eonon A0125N Backup Camera, Magnaflow CBE, FreekTune'd
 Old 06-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #124

geekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

go with the 2.49 MCU - it has the best audio quality out of the lot so far. (2.55 has the shutdown delay which is nice, but 2.49 has much better audio quality) - its still shallow audio, just better than every one I have tried so far (2.20 - 2.55)

(and use viper for you eq if you are not already - world of a difference)

Originally Posted by talkdrizzytome View Post
What do you use to tether an Internet connection? Bluetooth tethering or mobile hotspot app.
Tasker to Fire up my Hotspot when it detects the bluetooth connection from the radio.
When the bluetooth connection is lost, it disables the hotspot and re-enables my normal wifi.

Being the fact that it is my radio I probably won't stress over making sure it is the latest. This one seemed solid enough for me for now. I do like having the xposed framework installed. Being able to change the resolution on a few apps like Pandora made the channel scrolling more enjoyable.
Have you found a good DPI setting for apps yet?
I've been playing with 160 for things like google play music and waze, a little stretched though.

Last edited by geekd4d; 06-11-2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
geekd4d is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #125
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,249 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here is the update and mcu that I am currently using. (This is a link to the files in my google drive). I was going to upload to MSF but the upload seemed to go a whole lot quicker using my drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8C...ew?usp=sharing
I need to get a up close look at yours one day. I have been looking at this deck for over a year but all the reviews were horrible, about like OPs with the stock ROM installed. From this thread, it looks like running KK is the improvement it needed.

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #126

geekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nicegeekd4d is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I need to get a up close look at yours one day. I have been looking at this deck for over a year but all the reviews were horrible, about like OPs with the stock ROM installed. From this thread, it looks like running KK is the improvement it needed.
What we have are workarounds.. that's really about it.
I miss the sound my bose gave, but I love in dash navigation.. so I learned to deal with it...

I have a RK3188 Quad core card coming for this unit next week as well.. there is a lot you can do with it still.
 Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #127

jared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud of
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm looking for a bit of help. I got the 5163 and tried to upgrade shortly after it arrived. As soon as I flashed KitKat and the updated 2.51 KLD MCU I lost radio and steering wheel controls. I'm just trying to get this thing working again so anyone who's had success if you could let me know what firmware and MCU you used I'd really appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Im having the same issue

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
jared. is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #128

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jared. View Post
Im having the same issue

Hey man. Try using the update.img/mcu.img that @jdmage_mx5; put up in the Drive link. Don't forget to adjust the Can-Bus settings to Mazda. He posted a pic of this too.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #129

jared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud ofjared. has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks figured it out it was the radio setting next to the canbus

Old 06-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #130
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by geekd4d View Post
What we have are workarounds.. that's really about it.
I miss the sound my bose gave, but I love in dash navigation.. so I learned to deal with it...

I have a RK3188 Quad core card coming for this unit next week as well.. there is a lot you can do with it still.
Oh. Well I prefer sound over function so that may be a deal killer for me.

Tappin

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
 Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #131

jdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the worldjdmage_mx5 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I honestly do not think it sounds bad at all.

HTA 3076 | HTP 4" Intake, battery tray, under mount piping | CPE Exhaust Manifold, downpipe, FMIC & Stage 2 RMM | MD TMM and PMM | Tial MV-R ewg w/ Kozmic dump tube | VCTS delete/Ported IM | JBR OCC, EGR delete, BSD w/ oil pan baffle & RSB | SP63 Oil Cap Breather | Synapse SB BPV | UR CBE | Autotech HPFP | H & R Coilovers | Whiteline Endlinks | Manley Pistons & Rods | L19 Head Studs | Kozmic 6th Port w/ DW65c ITFP | Snow Performance Stg 2 Meth | JMF Manifold | SouthBend Stg 3 Endurance Clutch | Tuned with
 Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #132

Not Ranked  0 score     

Did you go from Bose to this unit?
The stock sound from this headunit to the Bose amps is absolute crap, its made better by a lot of tweaking.
Going from non Bose to this is supposedly the same quality as stock from what ive read as well. My ex has a non Bose 3 and it sounds so tinny to me.

People love to hate the Bose, it may not be super loud, the speakers may not last if you crank it, but it was crystal clear.

I honestly do not think it sounds bad at all.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

It was for me for the longest time as well. I just got sick of putting my phone up against the dash to use waze. (I couldn't find a good phone holder for my phone, and I switch them out yearly)
So function won over. (I drive 1000 miles every other weekend and need waze for the reporting)

Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Oh. Well I prefer sound over function so that may be a deal killer for me.

Tappin

Last edited by geekd4d; 06-11-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #133

Not Ranked  0 score     

I have a non Bose system. Probably one of the biggest things for me though is I do not "crank" my music. Sometimes I turn it up a good bit but to me music is just back ground noise until I make it to work.

I would not say the sound is crap or worthless but to each his own I reckon.
@Dano; any time you want to hear it let me know, I'm in your area just about every weekend.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdmage_mx5 For This Useful Post:
Dano (06-12-2015)
 Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #134
Trail of Fail

Not Ranked  0 score     

I do have a Bose which is why I was dubious as to the sound of the Eonon. I realize Bose is not audiophile (at least not in my mind) but does have better sound than the typical Mazda or other OEM radio setup. I don't crank mine either, but its more than just a "getting be from point A to B" type of thing.

No need to make a special plan to meet up for this, I'll just see you at a meet sometime. Hell I am fairly sure I'll get an RS next summer/fall so may not invest any more monies in the MS3. The Enon will be 1/2 of a car payment lol

Old 06-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #135

SnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just purchased one of these yesterday, can't wait to get it installed... I've been reading through the first post in the XDA thread, but seeing as how there's like 1,000 pages or so, does anyone have any highlights or specific sections to pay heed to in that thread or is most of the pertinent info compiled in that first post?
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
C(u)NT 3" Catless Downpipe
JBR OCC, EGR delete, Under Engine Piping
Treadstone TR6 FMIC and brackets
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-
DIY Mudflaps, DDM 55W HL/35W FL

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SnailSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #136

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed3 View Post
Just purchased one of these yesterday, can't wait to get it installed... I've been reading through the first post in the XDA thread, but seeing as how there's like 1,000 pages or so, does anyone have any highlights or specific sections to pay heed to in that thread or is most of the pertinent info compiled in that first post?
That first post is the goods. Our unit is a Klyde or KLD. Download the update.img of the Android version you want and then grab the MCU specifically for KLD. Then when you reboot set the Can-bus to Mazda, the radio to match, and then you're golden. If you need help, post on here. Lots of good people willing to help

SnailSpeed3 (06-15-2015)
 Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 AM   #137

Not Ranked  0 score     

Before you grab the mcu image.. check your existing MCU in settings > About.
It will say KLD something.. take note if there is a number next to the KLD:
IE: KLD1 x.xx KLD2 x.xx etc.. or just KLD x.xx
That matters.. a lot. You cannot mix those up. (it wont destroy the radio, Nothing will work)
The Following User Says Thank You to geekd4d For This Useful Post:
SnailSpeed3 (06-15-2015)
 Old 06-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #138

SnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeSnailSpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys I will be back if I have any issues...

Should be getting my unit either today or tomorrow if Eonon's shipping is as great as I've been hearing, can't wait!
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #139

jmalon is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hi all!

I just bought a Mazda 3 2012 the other day, and in addition to being super excited about the car, I'm also really keen to install an Eonon headunit on it.

Sorry if this is a very basic question, but because one of the main drawcards of the headunit is GPS, can anyone tell me if using the satnav is as simple as downloading offline maps, loading them onto an SD card and then putting it into the unit? I won't be able to use online GPS apps like Google maps because 3G is bloody expensive here in Australia. If I use the above method, will the physical "NAVI" button work, or will I have to access the navigation app through onscreen buttons?

Secondly, I have a question relating to the installation of a reverse camera. Reading through the thread it seems that many of you are installing it right above the licence plate. Do you all have a sedan or hatchback? I have the sedan and I was wondering whether visibility is OK, and more importantly, how you installed it - did you need to drill a hole above the plate? I'm thinking of getting a normal reverse camera (ie. not the licence plate ones where it's connected to a frame). Any pictures any of you might have of the reverse camera placement would be highly, highly appreciated!

Understand that that was a huge wall of text, appreciate any help I can get!

Cheers
jmalon is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #140

Not Ranked  0 score     

I can't chime in on the offline maps because I use google maps. As far as the camera, I bought and actual reverse camera from eBay. It replaces one of the license plate light lenses. Looks factory in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdmage_mx5 For This Useful Post:
jmalon (06-18-2015)
 Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #141

Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey man. Congrats on the purchase. What you'll need to do for the GPS app/maps is hook it up to your Wi-Fi at home, download the "Map Factor: GPS Navigation" app, download the maps, and you'll be set. You can then select the Navigation app that opens up when you click the button in the Settings app.

I have the hatch (Speed3). I got the backup camera installed over the licence plate between the licence plate lights. Put two self-tapping screws into the bumper, then lock washer, and nut to prevent scum from pulling it off. I got the Eonon backup camera for free with the head unit. I'll post up some pics later today when I get out of work. It wasn't an awful install, just time consuming, ripping apart the interior, and taking off the bumper.

jmalon (06-18-2015)
 Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #142

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks you two.

I'd like to avoid replacing the licence plate light if I can. Also would prefer not to drill any holes into the car to fit the camera. Talkdrizzletome, if you could provide me with pics when you have the time that would be awesome. How did you connect the camera from the outside to inside? Was a hole required?

Cheers
 Old 06-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #143

Not Ranked  0 score     

On the Speed's there is already a hole with a rubber covering which is used by Mazda to wire the licence plate lights. You can run the backup cam wire through said rubber piece. I don't know about the 3 sedan though.

I really don't think you have a good option outside of putting a couple self-tapping screws into the bumper. You would have to get the licence plate frame camera to avoid that.

jmalon (06-18-2015)
 Old 06-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #144

Not Ranked  0 score     

uploadfromtaptalk1434634653713.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434634754796.jpg

jmalon (06-18-2015)
 Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #145

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. I'll have to check whether there's the same rubber covering with the Sedan. Appreciate you taking the time to post the pics.
 Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #146

Not Ranked  0 score     

The license plate light option is really the most oem way of doing it. It allows the best option to go back to oem because it is as simple as popping a cover off and popping a new one on. I'll take some photos in a bit of my setup.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #147

Not Ranked  0 score     

Here is a modded MCU for our unit (KLD) for better sound. (Actually makes a big difference)
it also allows you to set a shutdown timer to avoid the Acc > On head unit power off then back on problems.
I haven't played with the shutdown timer yet, but I am digging the audio tweaks.

Shutdown timer requires a newer 4.4 rom from June 5th on... You can use this mcu with any rom version and still reap the audio benefits.

All credit goes to Darkleo @ XDA for the Modded MCU
Do not flash this unless you have the 1st gen KLD MCU (not KLD2 KLD3 etc)

Also: I'd suggest adding viper to run at startup: Easy method for those that don't like playing with system files
Startup Builder App - Version 1.7 (18 June 2015) - Post #13987 - XDA Forums
Attached Files
File Type: rar MCU_KLD_2.55_Musik.rar (51.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by geekd4d; 06-18-2015 at 01:23 PM.
 Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #148

Not Ranked  0 score     

So I got my unit and got it all installed, did the RCA mod for BOSE and flashed the above MCU and malaysk's rom from the XDA thread...

A few questions -

1) This may seem dumb but how the hell do you close apps once you open them? Like on my phone I just hit the button to show my active apps and then swipe to close them, but I haven't found any way to do so on this head unit. This is an issue when switching between audio inputs ex: radio to pandora, the sound will overlay instead of switch to the selected input.

2) After splicing in the RCAs the music volume is way quiet, definitely doesn't get nearly as loud as stock head unit did. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Is there a device I can put in the circuit to amplify the head unit output without distorting the signal or an app or setting I can download or change?

3) What are you guys using for a good offline gps? I dont have a wifi dongle and I don't always want to have to go through the process of tethering to my phone for Nav.
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 06-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #149

Not Ranked  0 score     

1. What Android Version are you on? If you're on 4.2 then I didn't see a "recent apps" kind of button. When I moved up to 4.4 I got it.

2. Did no splicing so don't have this issue.

3. Map Factor: GPS Navigation. Its solid. Download the maps to a microSD and you're golden.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #150

Not Ranked  0 score     

1. What Android Version are you on? If you're on 4.2 then I didn't see a "recent apps" kind of button. When I moved up to 4.4 I got it.

2. Did no splicing so don't have this issue.

3. Map Factor: GPS Navigation. Its solid. Download the maps to a microSD and you're golden.
1) I am on android 4.4 but I am using one of the customized ROMs from the xda thread made by user "malaysk". The June 7th version without Next launcher in this post.

Maybe I will try just switching to a regular version of 4.4. Can you give me the link of the ROM you have installed?

2) Damn, I like not being blown away by volume level 1, but I don't like not being blown away by volume level 30, lol.

3) Sweet, thanks I will check it out!
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 06-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #151

Not Ranked  0 score     

1) I used the update.img and mcu.ing posted by @jdmage_mx5; earlier in this thread.

douchebagms3 (03-03-2016)
 Old 06-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #152

Not Ranked  0 score     

1) I used the update.img and mcu.ing posted by @jdmage_mx5; earlier in this thread.
Okay, thanks. I will try loading that onto the unit after work.

For MapFactor, where do you download the map files? Through the app?
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 06-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #153

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup through the app. Just park near your house, connect to your WiFi, open the app pick the OpenGPS -free option (the top green one), and download the maps for the US.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #154

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup through the app. Just park near your house, connect to your WiFi, open the app pick the OpenGPS -free option (the top green one), and download the maps for the US.
Awesome thanks again for the help. I'll load up that ROM at home and hopefully everything should go smoothly from there...

I'll also update this thread if I ever figure out a good way to increase sound output for those of us who spliced in the RCAs.
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
 Old 06-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #155

Not Ranked  0 score     

Try Cudo's rom for a plain Jane experience. I think that's what jdmage posted. There are newer versions that fix a lot of bugs. Id stick with the 2.55 modified mcu, with a Bose system it is a huge difference in audio quality.

Mcu (mcu.img) and rom (update.img) can be flashed seperately. I was on mcu 2.49 for a while until this 2.55 came out with the audio tweaks baked in. Big difference.

There is a way using some resistors to step down the loudness using the stock connectors. (I can't find it this second but I know it exists either here or on mazda3forums)

As far as recent apps.. its only when you are on the home screen that The icon pops up at the top.

Using the stock apps (radio, music, DVD etc) pressing the back button will kill the app.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #156

Not Ranked  0 score     

Try Cudo's rom for a plain Jane experience. I think that's what jdmage posted. There are newer versions that fix a lot of bugs. Id stick with the 2.55 modified mcu, with a Bose system it is a huge difference in audio quality.

Mcu (mcu.img) and rom (update.img) can be flashed seperately. I was on mcu 2.49 for a while until this 2.55 came out with the audio tweaks baked in. Big difference.

There is a way using some resistors to step down the loudness using the stock connectors. (I can't find it this second but I know it exists either here or on mazda3forums)

As far as recent apps.. its only when you are on the home screen that The icon pops up at the top.

Using the stock apps (radio, music, DVD etc) pressing the back button will kill the app.

I have the 2.55 mcu flashed and the audio quality is definitely improved over the stock mcu, but my issue is with the total volume of the audio, the maximum setting is maybe 1/2 to 2/3 as loud as stock bose got...

I already spliced RCAs into the wiring harness they sent me so I'm just looking into ways to optimize that... With some reading I'm seeing that there are some decent quality line drivers that I can use to manage the audio signal between the headunit and the bose amp, so I may try one of those out.

I managed to locate the recent apps button while I was messing around a little while ago, but thank you for the tip about backing out of the stock apps to kill them!

Edit: I am also going to continue using the ROM I previously linked, as the only issue I had was that I couldn't find the recent apps icon.
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SnailSpeed3; 06-19-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: to explain why I is dumb
 Old 06-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #157

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed3 View Post
I have the 2.55 mcu flashed and the audio quality is definitely improved over the stock mcu, but my issue is with the total volume of the audio, the maximum setting is maybe 1/2 to 2/3 as loud as stock bose got...

I already spliced RCAs into the wiring harness they sent me so I'm just looking into ways to optimize that... With some reading I'm seeing that there are some decent quality line drivers that I can use to manage the audio signal between the headunit and the bose amp, so I may try one of those out.

I managed to locate the recent apps button while I was messing around a little while ago, but thank you for the tip about backing out of the stock apps to kill them!

Edit: I am also going to continue using the ROM I previously linked, as the only issue I had was that I couldn't find the recent apps icon.
I know what you mean. Its definitely quieter, but not ear bleeding. If you find a happy medium please share. I'm upgrading the CPU in mine trying to future proof it for the next year or so.

I love what we can do with the head unit, I just miss the sound from the stock Bose.

Maysik(spelling I know) has the most up to date ROMs out there for this unit, I couldn't stand the next launcher and will be going back to his standard one in a week or so when reflashing with the new CPU now that he supports the new CPUs.
 Old 06-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #158

Not Ranked  0 score     

Anyone had an issue with it killing your battery?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #159

Not Ranked  0 score     

I know what you mean. Its definitely quieter, but not ear bleeding. If you find a happy medium please share. I'm upgrading the CPU in mine trying to future proof it for the next year or so.

I love what we can do with the head unit, I just miss the sound from the stock Bose.

Maysik(spelling I know) has the most up to date ROMs out there for this unit, I couldn't stand the next launcher and will be going back to his standard one in a week or so when reflashing with the new CPU now that he supports the new CPUs.
Yeah I tried the next launcher version first and hated it so I switched to the regular version immediately...

One thing I am finding with my unit though is that it does NOT want to connect to wifi... Even when I'm trying to tether from my phone in the car it takes forever to be able to connect if it ever does. I'm in front of my house right now sitting in my car typing this using my home wifi which my unit has detected just fine, but will not connect to. Any thoughts on fixing this? Could it just be a bad wifi antena?

Maybe a dumb question, but what do you mean upgrading the cpu? I just bought this thing, I certainly hope it's not obsolete lol.

One more thing I can't figure out, I have a bluetooth dongle for my Valentine1 radar detector and the headunit sees it just fine, but won't connect to the device so that I can run the V1 app...

Originally Posted by jared. View Post
Anyone had an issue with it killing your battery?

Not yet, but I have read about that so I guess time will tell.
Cobb AP
HTP 3" Intake
Damond RMM, PMM, TMM
JBR SSP & BUSHINGS
Autotech HPFP Internals
AESTHETIC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SnailSpeed3; 06-19-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 06-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #160

Not Ranked  0 score     

It could be that my battery just took a shit but it was completely dead two days after driving it

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f434/eonon-ga5163-review-184655/
Posted By For Type Date
Eonon GA5163 Review This thread Refback 07-01-2015 09:12 AM