register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Car Audio & Electronics

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree10Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

bitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Default Eonon GM5163 Review - 2012 with Bose

My Review of Eonon GM5163:

I added some pictures that I took. Hopefully, they will help someone. If you search the forums and Google, you'll find the wiring diagrams.

This is my first review ever, so my only goal here is to help someone that may wish to buy this unit OR maybe the pictures will help someone... If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I'll help if I can. I'm an electronics engineer, so I may know something!

Summary: I’m very happy with the unit. I love the way it looks in the car. I REALLY hope they release a patch to fix the MP3 issues!

My Info:
  • 2012 Mazdaspeed3
  • Bose system (navigation, keyless, etc…)

Severe Cons:
  • I have ~2900 MP3s on a single directory on an SD card. The GM5163 only detects 2000 songs.
  • I have ~2900 MP3s in multiple directories on an SD card. The GM5163 only detects 2048 songs. Yeah, this is strange! Also, with many directories the SD card takes a LONG time to load before a song starts playing.
  • Update: I put the songs into three directories and the GM5163 will play all songs!
  • An SD card with many songs takes a while to load (~20s with one directory and >40s with multiple directories)
  • With 2000 songs detected and shuffle enabled, it takes about 20 seconds to switch songs.
  • Update: With a class 10 card it changes songs faster (it is still unacceptably slow, but much better than a class 4 card)

Trivial Cons:
  • An EQ would be great. It has separate treble and base, but a 5 band EQ would be much better.
  • Bluetooth A2DP (streaming music from Android) – The display just shows dancing musical notes. I’d rather it show the Artist and Song. Album art would be a plus.
  • On the Mazda’s left display, the display item that shows the radio preset or the artist/album/title just displays “audio off”.
  • I had to modify the harness that came with the GM5163. I cut the audio wires and put male RCA plugs on them. Then plugged them into the GM5163’s low-level audio out. This really isn’t a con since they said I’d need to modify it for a Bose system. It did work without the modification, but the lowest volume setting (1) was too loud.
  • Wish it would automatically re-connect to A2DP when the car starts (if A2DP was on when turned off) Update - Eonon has a patch for this one!
  • A2DP doesn’t sound quite as good as the OEM radio (but it is close!)
  • MP3 volume could be a little louder, but this may be just the way the Bose amp is. Probably has nothing to do with the GM5163.
  • Rear USB1 – Doesn’t do anything. Eonon said it is for future use… Update - Eonon said this is for WIFI.
  • The steering wheel phone control don’t work which I knew before buying the unit. I’ve read that there is an adapter that connects to the CAN bus that detects the phone buttons. I've also read that it is impossible because those buttons interface to the Mazda Bluetooth module directly. At any rate, if I figure out a way to detect the button(s), the GM5163 has two wires on the back that may be able detect them.
  • Update: The trebble setting isn't applied after the car is turned off and then back on. The trebble displays the same value, but the actual sound isn't correct. If the trebble is turned up/down a notch, the audio will be corrected and match the display setting.

Pros:
  • Looks awesome. It looks like it could have come from the factory.
  • Quality is nice.
  • The unit as a whole is very fast/responsive.
  • Factory harness needed little modification with the Bose system, but other than that it worked like a charm. All other connections worked great.
  • The right display shows the FM station, volume and displays the ‘mode’ the GM5163 is in. However, I wish it would display the FM station (if playing) while the navigation is running. It displays “NAV”.
  • All of the documentation says the maximum memory capacity is 16GB. Well, 32GB works just fine! Even their “Live Support” said 16GB max.
  • FM Radio:
  • The reception is the same if not a little better than the OEM radio.
  • I think the FM radio sounds better than OEM.
  • The next station seek is very fast.
  • The tuning knob is very fast.
  • I think it looks fine.
  • The only thing I think they could improve on is the area that displays the information (song title). It barely has enough room for a word let alone the whole title.
  • MP3s – See Cons!
  • Rear USB2 – The USB in the back of the radio can be used for any media (MP3s, Videos and Pictures)
  • SD Slot on the Front – Works with 32GB cards (which they say 16GB is max). I’ve tried MP3s and divx formats.
  • NAV:
  • The maps that comes with the unit works well.
  • I put iGo maps on it. It takes a ~10s to load. It works very well. Even with maps running the unit is very responsive.
  • I placed the GPS antenna on top of the vent (see picture). It picked up ~6 satellites in my garage with good signal strength.
  • While NAV is running, MP3 from the USB2 or SD card plays fine. The radio continues without issue. A2DP streaming works just fine.
  • The OEM navigation works too. However, I don’t think the audio prompts work. I haven’t tried…
  • Mirroring – Works like a champ. My Note 2 had a few issues, but once I figured out my phone, I fixed my phone and it works well.
  • The NFC works well too.
  • The GM5163 detects when the headlights are on.
  • The GM5163 detects when in reverse. I don’t have the rearview camera connected yet. It’s too dang cold to install it at the moment. One minor thing, the harness that comes with the radio doesn’t have a connection for reverse specifically for the review camera. So, you’ll have splice into the GM5163’s harness (not the car’s harness). Not a big deal…
  • DVDs – Plays them just fine. I wish the display could get a little brighter, but it works fine.
  • Fader/Balance both work properly (yes with the Bose system). I’ve read a few places that the fader would not work and you needed a special adapter. Not true…

Update: Eonon replied back to an email with instructions on how to resume A2DP. They have a patch you have apply.

Touchscreen: It works fine for me. I've heard people say that the touchscreen isn't as great as their phone's. However, it does work nicely with leather gloves!

Installation Instructions:
I don't have any more installation pictures. I watched some youtube videos on how to install it. It is really simple.
  • Put masking tape around all of your components around the radio so you don't scratch anything. For example, on the climate controls.
  • Carefully, pop your vents off. I used a very thin metal shim with masking tape around it so I don't scratch anything. The vents will pop off going straight forward (to the back of the car).
  • Set the vents on top of the dash. I didn't disconnect the wires to the vent module.
  • Unscrew the two screws on the top side of the radio
  • Pop the radio out - Don't let it drop down, you'll scratch your climate controls.
  • Unplug the radio cables - One of them is a little difficult because of the angle. I'd have another person help you with this part.
  • Remove the 4 plastic clips that are on the sides. You'll have to put these on your Eonon radio. Be careful not to break them!
  • Modify your Eonon harness if you wish (see my review). You may have to splice into your reverse wire on the Eonon harness if you ordered the backup camera.
  • Connect the harness into your Eonon radio
  • Pop your Eonon radio in. Put the two screws in back in.
  • At this point, I'd test it to make sure everything works. Does it turn on? Does it dim when the headlights are on? Does the display go black (or reverse camera come on) when you put the car in reverse? If you didn't modify the cable, is the lowest volume setting too high?
  • Once you're satisfied, pop your vents back in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OEM Radio - Front.JPG (160.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Radio - Top Side with Part Numbers.JPG (254.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Radio Back Side.JPG (406.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Radio Back (Radio is Upside Down).JPG (418.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Harness - Main.JPG (158.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Harness - Main 2.JPG (139.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Harness - Aux Inputs and Possibly Siri and Nav Audio.JPG (118.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Harness - Aux Inputs and Possibly Siri and Nav Audio 2.JPG (116.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Antenna Cable - Back.JPG (126.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg OEM Harness - Main Looking at Connecting Side.JPG (142.3 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by bitburner; 04-02-2014 at 09:56 AM.
bitburner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bitburner For This Useful Post:
ape_ck (01-23-2014), CWP_MS3 (10-31-2014), ge3kspd (02-21-2015), iammike (02-14-2014), VRM_MS3 (01-23-2014)
 Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

VRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

nice. can't wait to install mine.
 Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
Oni

Oni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Only reason I won't get one is for Sat Radio... I wish they'd just add it already.

Cobb AP V3 // Autotech Fuel Pump Internals // HTP 3" // UR Catted V2 DP // UR Resonated TP // UR Resonated CBE // GrimmSpeed EBCS // CP-E TMIC // GFB Respons BPV // JBR Trilogy 88/80/80 // Corksport Hood Struts // Prosport EVO Boost Gauge w/ block8head vent pod // E30 Freektune

Installing Soon : Stratified GA // Bosch 3 Bar Map w/ PNP Harness

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

bitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to beholdbitburner is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Oni View Post
Only reason I won't get one is for Sat Radio... I wish they'd just add it already.
I hear ya, but I use Slacker Radio, maybe Pandora or worst case the SD card. At least I would use the SD card if Eonon would fix the speed and ability to detect more than 2000 songs.

It is strange that they support a digital TV tuner add-on and not a Sat Radio...
 Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default More Volume if going into a Bose Amp.

Originally Posted by VRM_MS3 View Post
nice. can't wait to install mine.
If you have a Bose system, the volume from the pre-amp line-out could be a little louder. You may want to use a resistor divider from the speaker outputs to get more volume going to the Bose amp.

See this page: Speaker signal to line level
hz23 (02-09-2014), VRM_MS3 (01-25-2014)
 Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Oni

Oni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the worldOni is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bitburner View Post
I hear ya, but I use Slacker Radio, maybe Pandora or worst case the SD card. At least I would use the SD card if Eonon would fix the speed and ability to detect more than 2000 songs.

It is strange that they support a digital TV tuner add-on and not a Sat Radio...
It may not be so bad once I move to Michigan, but in Texas, there's so much nothing that you need Sat Radio because your Cell Data will drop out and you'd lose things like Pandora all the time.

Cobb AP V3 // Autotech Fuel Pump Internals // HTP 3" // UR Catted V2 DP // UR Resonated TP // UR Resonated CBE // GrimmSpeed EBCS // CP-E TMIC // GFB Respons BPV // JBR Trilogy 88/80/80 // Corksport Hood Struts // Prosport EVO Boost Gauge w/ block8head vent pod // E30 Freektune

Installing Soon : Stratified GA // Bosch 3 Bar Map w/ PNP Harness

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Thanked 17,259 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 549
Groaned at 130 Times in 85 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can you not use a small satellite radio tuner and run it in through an auxiliary input?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk
 Old 01-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #8

VRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the worldVRM_MS3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you have a Bose system, the volume from the pre-amp line-out could be a little louder. You may want to use a resistor divider from the speaker outputs to get more volume going to the Bose amp.

See this page: Speaker signal to line level
thanks! please do a write up once you have the rear view camera installed. never done this before but looks like it's just plug and play. i'll give it a try next weekend
 Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by VRM_MS3 View Post
thanks! please do a write up once you have the rear view camera installed. never done this before but looks like it's just plug and play. i'll give it a try next weekend
I have not installed the review camera yet. However, I does look like you have to splice into the reverse signal in the Eonon harness (not your car's harness). Also, it looks like I'll have to find power somewhere near the rear of the car within ~2-3 feet of the camera.

I'll update my review when I install it. But, the next 2 weeks here in Missouri is suppose to be VERY cold.

Also, I posted this little review on another site and Eonon has responded to it. The Eonon guy said he'll talk to the developers about the MP3 issues. I really happy that someone from Eonon is reading the forums.
 Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #10

GLOBETRAHTER is just really niceGLOBETRAHTER is just really niceGLOBETRAHTER is just really niceGLOBETRAHTER is just really nice
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any new updates to this and how the Head Unit is working? Looking big time into getting this. I'm really starting to like Satellite radio however and I live in Texas. I like the Idea of the SD Card slot as well. as I could just put songs on there and leave my phone free.

How has the system been working for you however?
 Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GLOBETRAHTER View Post
Any new updates to this and how the Head Unit is working? Looking big time into getting this. I'm really starting to like Satellite radio however and I live in Texas. I like the Idea of the SD Card slot as well. as I could just put songs on there and leave my phone free.

How has the system been working for you however?
Nothing new to note as of yet. So far, it is working great. Like I said, I use Slacker radio vs. Sat.

I still have an issue with the SD card slot for my MP3s. It only sees 1999 out of 2900+ songs and takes WAY too long (10-15 seconds) to shuffle to the next song. The SD card is really my only complaint.

I really like the iGo maps, but there is nothing wrong with the maps that come with it. I would have saved a little by using the iGo from the beginning and not purchasing the Eonon maps.

I think the reverse camera mounted on the license plate light would be a little easier and more integrated. They sell them for Mazda on ebay for less than the Eonon reverse camera. I did find a place to put the Eonon camera that will look nice, but I'll have to figure out how to mount it. I'll take a picture once I have it mounted. I'm just waiting until it thaws out here a little!

One other thing to note, I'm thinking about combining the rear line-out with the sub out pre-amp RCA connections. You have to use some resistors... The bass on some songs at lower volumes doesn't sound 'rich'. If I turn the base up, it just sound like it is adjusting low-mids. However, with other songs, it will thump (at much as the Bose can) and sounds great. So, I'm hoping combining the sub-outputs with the line outputs it'll help. I'll let you know what I find and I'll post a wiring diagram if I'm successful.

Do you have a Bose system?
 Old 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #12

GLOBETRAHTER is just really niceGLOBETRAHTER is just really niceGLOBETRAHTER is just really niceGLOBETRAHTER is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey, thanks for the info and the update. I do have the Bose system that came with the the check package on my 2011. I believe the 10 speaker layout right?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited by GLOBETRAHTER; 01-30-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: misspelled
GLOBETRAHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey, thanks for the info and the update. I do have the Bose system that came with the t Eww check package on my 2011. I believe the 10 speaker layout right?

Yes, my 2012 is 10-speaker also.
 Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #14

jack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the worldjack_hammer is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

How do you make the GPS read other maps? I have the eonon for genwon, but don't know how to swap them.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #15

bstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the worldbstover17 is the leader of the world
Groans: 228
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you tried the ipod connectivity? I am really trying to figure out how responsive the unit is when connected to an ipod.

COBB ACCESSPORT V3 // COBB FMIC // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // HTP 3" GOLD INTAKE // JBR 88 DURO RMM // JBR EGR DELETE // SURE ANCHORS // SURE COUNTERSHIFT // SURE SHORTCUT // TB PERFORMANCE TRACTION BAR V 2.0 // TB PERFORMANCE CHASSIS BRACE
JBR BOOST TUBES // JBR BYPASS HOSE // DDM TUNING 5k HID // GFB RESPONS BPV // PROSPORT BOOST GAUGE // CNT CATLESS DP // ZOOM ZOOM BOX // JL Audio 10w3 // HEADLIGHT ARMOR YELLOW FOGS
bstover17 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jack_hammer View Post
How do you make the GPS read other maps? I have the eonon for genwon, but don't know how to swap them.

This is what the root directory looks like on my SD card for iGo maps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg igoScreenShot.jpg (23.3 KB, 107 views)
jack_hammer (02-15-2014)
 Old 01-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bstover17 View Post
Have you tried the ipod connectivity? I am really trying to figure out how responsive the unit is when connected to an ipod.
I don't have an ipod or iphone. Sorry...
 Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #18

iammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,149 Times in 529 Posts
Groans: 9
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Really really interested in this unit. Like finger on the trigger interested. Just wish there were more details of how the harness was modified to work with the BOSE. I'm no stereo guy so in that department, I'm a complete n00b.

Mine is a 2012 without the tech package but I do have the BOSE.
 Old 02-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by iammike View Post
Really really interested in this unit. Like finger on the trigger interested. Just wish there were more details of how the harness was modified to work with the BOSE. I'm no stereo guy so in that department, I'm a complete n00b.

Mine is a 2012 without the tech package but I do have the BOSE.
It really is easy if you have a soldering iron and a 4-male RCA plugs (Radio Shack). Simply cut the 4 speaker wires (the wires are identified on the GM5163 radio). Then solder the RCA plugs to the wires that are on the car's side of the GM5163 harness. Plug those wires into the line-out RCA connections.

If you don't have a soldering iron, they are very cheap, <$10 at Harbor Freight. I'm sure Radio Shake has a cheap one too.

You can also buy the RCA connectors from ebay. I just bought 8 gold plated RCA plugs from ebay for < $5 shipped.

That's it!
 Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #20

iammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the worldiammike is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

It really is easy if you have a soldering iron and a 4-male RCA plugs (Radio Shack). Simply cut the 4 speaker wires (the wires are identified on the GM5163 radio). Then solder the RCA plugs to the wires that are on the car's side of the GM5163 harness. Plug those wires into the line-out RCA connections.

If you don't have a soldering iron, they are very cheap, <$10 at Harbor Freight. I'm sure Radio Shake has a cheap one too.

You can also buy the RCA connectors from ebay. I just bought 8 gold plated RCA plugs from ebay for < $5 shipped.

That's it!
I know you were mentioning some weird behavior at low volume on some songs with the bass. Does this method include your hopeful solution or are you looking to try that in the future.

Also, I'm from Cape Girardeau MO. Been to St. Charlies many times before I joined the military 12 years ago.
 Old 02-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I know you were mentioning some weird behavior at low volume on some songs with the bass. Does this method include your hopeful solution or are you looking to try that in the future.

Also, I'm from Cape Girardeau MO. Been to St. Charlies many times before I joined the military 12 years ago.
Nope, I haven't tried anything yet. It is just simply too cold right now. I'll try alternate configurations when it warms up. As soon as I do, I'll update my original post.

I created a CD that has nothing but tones (15Hz, 20Hz, 30Hz, etc...) and then a chirp (15Hz-1000Hz). The Bose amp does some interesting things. It seems as though it distributes the bass through all speakers regardless of the fader/balance settings. However, the mids and highs obey the fader/balance settings. I could be wrong, but it seems like it.

At 60Hz the volume appears is much louder than 50Hz and below. So, the question I have is it due to the GM5163, Bose amp or the speakers (discounting the acoustics of the car and my ears)? At 100Hz it is louder still. After that it says a little more flat (volume is more constant). I expect this type of behavior to a point. But, this is why I hope properly tying in the sub output with the line out may help level things out. I may bring an oscilloscope home from work and get some real data. I’m an Engineer so I really like to understand why.

I wish I would have run some of these tests on the original radio for a comparison.
 Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Good information, I'm actually telling my GF about this because I would love for v-day. I might just get and see. I work at home not not in the car as much as I used to. I was worried about serious satellite then i got a letter about when the trial period would end.. Lol I was like yeah I don't need satellite

Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

So, I pulled the trigger on the GM version with the Miracast support.

Lets see if I understand this. The reason we have to cut the speaker signals coming from the main plug and get them connected to the RCA's is that the RCA's are meant as a low power signal going to an amp then letting the amp boost the power while the main plug is putting out the 65w the unit advertises?

EDIT: 2 more questions. Do you have a link to the good copy of iGo maps you got? Their website only talks about an iPhone version. Also, I'm thinking not all your pictures are showing.

EDIT2: Last one, I swear, maybe. lol I keep thinking of questions as I'm reading up on this. When you cut the speaker leads and soldered them to the RCA's, did you only cut the positive leads and leave the negative leads in the harness or did you cut both and make the RCA full positive and negative?

Last edited by iammike; 02-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.
iammike is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, I pulled the trigger on the GM version with the Miracast support.

Lets see if I understand this. The reason we have to cut the speaker signals coming from the main plug and get them connected to the RCA's is that the RCA's are meant as a low power signal going to an amp then letting the amp boost the power while the main plug is putting out the 65w the unit advertises?

EDIT: 2 more questions. Do you have a link to the good copy of iGo maps you got? Their website only talks about an iPhone version. Also, I'm thinking not all your pictures are showing.

EDIT2: Last one, I swear, maybe. lol I keep thinking of questions as I'm reading up on this. When you cut the speaker leads and soldered them to the RCA's, did you only cut the positive leads and leave the negative leads in the harness or did you cut both and make the RCA full positive and negative?
Yes, for Bose amp, use the RCA's (low level) vs. the 65W outputs.

As for the iGo Primo maps, I just did a lot of searching and found someone who posted a copy of what they had on their Eonon unit. Then I found updated maps and updated it. I purchased the Eonon maps, they are actually pretty good too.

I cut both the pos & neg wires and wired them both to the RCA connector. I don't know if the 65W speaker outputs share a common ground or not.

Happy to help...
 Old 02-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

Cool, I decided to just to pos and neg as well. Why half ass it? lol

How were the Kudos maps on yours? I'm going to try those out before mucking about with the SD card...other than dropping some wallpapers on the card so I can have my own background.
 Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #26

Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you already received it? I would love to see pics before and after install as well

Old 02-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #27

Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you already received it? I would love to see pics before and after install as well

Projected to arrive on Thursday.
 Old 02-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #28

Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

As others have said, the shipping from Eonon is amazing. It's being shipped from Hong Kong.

I placed my order at 7:30am Sunday morning...Sunday night (Monday day in China) it was shipped and already picked up by FedEx and scheduled to be here on Thursday. That's the free shipping Eonon does.
scubasteve likes this.
 Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

A few weeks after I received my unit, I just received a bill from FedEx for $18. Not a huge deal, but still.
 Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #31

Not Ranked  0 score     

A few weeks after I received my unit, I just received a bill from FedEx for $18. Not a huge deal, but still.
Well ain't that some BS.
 Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #32

Not Ranked  0 score     

Don't pay it. I sent something to Canada a few years ago. Several years by now, actually. Anyway, about a month later, they sent me a bill for $18 /$20 or whatever. I never considered paying it. They eventually quit asking. Nothing ever came of it.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #33

Not Ranked  0 score     

@bitburner; did you have to modify the GPS port and baud in the iGo sys.txt file?
 Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@bitburner; did you have to modify the GPS port and baud in the iGo sys.txt file?
This is my sys.txt file:

[debug]
max_memory=40000000
reserve_memory=1500000
cache=2048

I don't know if this helps... Let me know if you need anything else...
 Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #35

Not Ranked  0 score     

So it's on the truck for delivery. The shitty weather delayed it. I'll try to remember and take a lot of pictures as I go to post up.
 Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #36

Not Ranked  0 score     

So it's on the truck for delivery. The shitty weather delayed it. I'll try to remember and take a lot of pictures as I go to post up.
why do you have your stereo listed in your mods when you haven't installed it yet?
 Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #37

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jack_hammer View Post
why do you have your stereo listed in your mods when you haven't installed it yet?
Because I would forget to modify the list later? Is that a problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to iammike For This Useful Post:
jack_hammer (02-15-2014)
 Old 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok, here are some shots from my install.

The only harness modifications I made was to cut the signal wires, splice on the RCA connectors and connect to the line level outs.

The Wifi antenna is connected to the metal frame just to the left of the headunit, I believe the Wifi is for Miracast.

The GPS us up above the vents and as far to the left as I could go to keep it away from the magnet on the center speaker. I was concerned about possible interference.

Question for you @bitburner; . You mention in your Pro's that the unit detects when the headlights are on....but mine does not. I have checked the settings and the feature is enabled but nothing changes when I turn on my headlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140214_160626962.jpg (233.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140214_160710401.jpg (248.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140214_161808695.jpg (315.2 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140214_163719824.jpg (314.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140214_170852936.jpg (232.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140214_170911135.jpg (229.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140214_173258771.jpg (284.4 KB, 245 views)
bitburner likes this.
 Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The only harness modifications I made was to cut the signal wires, splice on the RCA connectors and connect to the line level outs.

The Wifi antenna is connected to the metal frame just to the left of the headunit, I believe the Wifi is for Miracast.

The GPS us up above the vents and as far to the left as I could go to keep it away from the magnet on the center speaker. I was concerned about possible interference.

Question for you @bitburner; . You mention in your Pro's that the unit detects when the headlights are on....but mine does not. I have checked the settings and the feature is enabled but nothing changes when I turn on my headlights.
Check the two wires on the harness to make sure they are connected. Unless you push them together until it 'clicks', they pop apart easily. It may have popped apart when you installed the radio.

Do you have anything to add to my pros and cons? I'd like to hear your thoughts... How is your sound quality?

Also, Eonon has an update. I haven't installed it yet because you have to power the radio completely off (disconnect the harness or battery). When I try my sub-out mods, I'll install the upgrade.

BTW: That is exactly where I put my GPS sensor and close to where I put my WiFi antenna.

Last edited by bitburner; 02-14-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
bitburner is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

Keep giving us updates, I'm jealous! I want one now

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f434/eonon-gm5163-review-2012-bose-163209/
Posted By For Type Date
GM5163 DLNA issues with iPhone 5 - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum This thread Refback 01-03-2015 03:47 AM
GM5163 DLNA issues with iPhone 5 - CX5Drivers.com This thread Refback 05-23-2014 09:26 AM
GM5163 DLNA issues with iPhone 5 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 02-24-2014 12:41 AM