register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By motherfnmonsta

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

trujillo5392 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default P0300 Code.. lost

This is my first post, so I apologize for the repetition of these misfire code posts but they usually just end without some sort of resolution. I don't know a whole lot about cars, so if I don't provide any information please don't flame me, I'm here for some help since I am inexperienced.

I purchased my 2012 MS3 a couple months back. The vehicle was right at 20k miles. I finally decided to look into upgrading it about two weeks ago and found a intake on CL for cheap so I bought it and installed it. Installed it right around 27k. It's a CS SRI with a SURE TIH. I installed it around a week ago, felt very nice and no problems whatsoever. After 140 miles my check engine light came on so I immediately brought it over to a shop to get the code read and it was a p0300 random misfire. I didn't think the intake would cause a misfire, but I rechecked everything in my intake install ensuring it's all done properly. I took off the intercooler and saw some of the wires for the coils looked a little frayed, I assumed it may have just arc'd so I properly taped it back up and went on driving hoping it was just something stupid like that when I saw it. After another 120-140 miles it popped on again and began flashing so I figured something more serious must be going on. On my drive home I noticed that when i slowed to a stop maybe 1/4 times the car would drop RPMs a bit lower than usual and kind of feel like it was about to stall, and then pop right back up and idle fine. Other than that I have never noticed anything misfiring or feeling odd about the engine. Got a fuel injector cleaner and changed my spark plugs. Ran it for another 150 miles or so and no light came on so I figured that did the trick. I drove the car back home to NC after visiting family in NY for the holidays and was a bit skeptical about doing the drive after that problem but it didn't pop up at all the whole time. ~600 miles. Earlier today, drove into town and it popped back on. Like I said earlier, I don't feel the vehicle misfiring or having any issues at all.. Pretty lost.

I'm gonna take it to a shop tomorrow and see what they say.. Is there a chance it could be the intake? Or is it just a coincidence that it was soon after the install? From the posts I read a random misfire could be MAF related.. I called CS and he said it would be a different code if it was the intake or the MAF, but I figure he may just be defending his product? I honestly don't know, and before I start shoveling money into the car for no reason wanted to get some input. I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks!
trujillo5392 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it is MAF related, is there any way I would be able to tell other than swapping back to stock intake and clearing it to see if it stays off? Or purchasing an AP?
 Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

robbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the world
Groans: 50
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah you should purchase an AP. It's foolish to start modding without a way to tune. It would also be nice to see a data log. You can trust what corksport told you about your CEL.

About that frayed wire... don't think that taping it up is a long term solution. Whatever it is should be replaced. Maybe you could post a pic of what you're talking about.

What did you gap your spark plugs to and was the misfire code for a paticular cylinder or was it random?

Can't really comment on your current CEL without knowing what it is.

Last edited by robbspeed; 01-03-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
robbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robbspeed For This Useful Post:
JgamB (01-03-2016)
 Old 01-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I was planning on purchasing an AP but it seemed that all the SRIs didn't need it so was gonna wait a bit until I was planning on future upgrades. I figured what he said was true.. It was a random misfire, I can definitely take a picture and upload it tmw.. it's the wires that are leading into the coils. I gapped them to .28
The Following User Says Thank You to trujillo5392 For This Useful Post:
robbspeed (01-03-2016)
 Old 01-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

robbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the worldrobbspeed is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by trujillo5392 View Post
Yeah, I was planning on purchasing an AP but it seemed that all the SRIs didn't need it so was gonna wait a bit until I was planning on future upgrades. I figured what he said was true.. It was a random misfire, I can definitely take a picture and upload it tmw.. it's the wires that are leading into the coils. I gapped them to .28
Oh that's a bitch. I'm sure if you googled it you could find a better way to repair it then electrical tape.

Keep us updated on the CEL.
 Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah.. There are a few different color wires coming out and two of them on two separate coils were frayed.. I don't know what the previous owner was doing that he would even be under there messing with that. He didn't do any upgrades to the car other than a JBR short shifter which doesn't require intercooler removal lol.
 Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

Could have been a rodent got in there and chewed on them. You know if the car sat for a while.
 Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #8

motherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,335 Times in 745 Posts
Groans: 106
Groaned at 22 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have had a few cases where the flywheel would cause a p0300, but the only way to really know is if you can look at the mode 6 data in the pcm and see where the misfire is occurring. You still have a powertrain warranty, so it may not hurt to stock out and go to mazda and have them check it out.
go fast- atp gt2871r,3bar map sensor,3port ebcs,freektune 4" wp intake,,jbr trilogy mount, turbosmart bov,cpe tmic,cpe cbe, UR catless DP, UR catless TP, autotech internals cobb ap v2, aem meth controller and pump, custom meth tank,snow solenoid and aquamist nozzle
suspension-c/s springs,c/s midbrace,jbr rsb, 235/40/18 nitto nt55

motherfnmonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motherfnmonsta For This Useful Post:
robbspeed (01-03-2016)
 Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by motherfnmonsta View Post
I have had a few cases where the flywheel would cause a p0300, but the only way to really know is if you can look at the mode 6 data in the pcm and see where the misfire is occurring. You still have a powertrain warranty, so it may not hurt to stock out and go to mazda and have them check it out.
Unfortunately the previous owner didn't extend the warranty and he told me it ran out after the initial 3 years. Prob sounding like a real rookie but as far as the "mode 6 data in the pcm" .. is that acquired from the dealership reading the code?
 Old 01-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

motherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the worldmotherfnmonsta is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,335 Times in 745 Posts
Groans: 106
Groaned at 22 Times in 19 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any high end scan tool can. Power train is 6 years or.60k which ever comes.first

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Me2speed3 likes this.
go fast- atp gt2871r,3bar map sensor,3port ebcs,freektune 4" wp intake,,jbr trilogy mount, turbosmart bov,cpe tmic,cpe cbe, UR catless DP, UR catless TP, autotech internals cobb ap v2, aem meth controller and pump, custom meth tank,snow solenoid and aquamist nozzle
suspension-c/s springs,c/s midbrace,jbr rsb, 235/40/18 nitto nt55

motherfnmonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I went to turn my car on this afternoon the CEL was off. Strange, I'm not quite sure where to go from here lol