register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Jrs7686 will become famous soon enoughJrs7686 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default P2006 and p2096

It has been cold here in the northeast(like damn cold!!!) Today it warmed up some (like 20F) and I got a double code, P2006 and P2096

P2006 Variable tumble control system (VTCS) shutter valve stuck closed ON 2 CCM

P2096 target a/f feedback system lean

Forum Search tells me the P2096 could be any number of things, from an exhaust leak, bpv stuck, second O2 sensor, or bad DP bung. I do have 14.2-14.5 AFR at idle.

Other search looks like P2006 is a harmless code for the most part but still weird to get the double code at once from what I can see.

I double checked all the vac hose connections, and from what I saw there are no splits in them or cracks, with everything connected
I have noticed a drop in MPG, but it could be a result of the cold ( DAMN cold) we have had.
Also I have been hearing somewhat of a "backfire/gurgling" when I engine brake down from 2800rpm - 1800.

Anyone seem to think there is a link between the two codes ?

Tomorrow weather permitting I'll check the BPV and see if it is sticking.

MODS: Cobb: SRI, BPV, TIP, DP
ETS: TMIC
AUTOTECH: Internals
STEP COLDER PLUGS: IVT-22
Richtuned 93
Jrs7686 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay so today I check the BPV, saw nothing abnormal, the valve was operating freely( but decided to take it apart to clean and relube). I did notice that the recirc hose had a crack in it right at the edge, where it connects to the valve, but it wasn't all the way thru the hose.

I cleared the code before I left, and about 1.5 miles later I got P2096 back again, and still got 14.5 AFR at idle.

So back to the drawing board, maybe bung or O2 sensor ? and going to order a new recirc hose just to rule that out.
 Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #3

speed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jrs7686 View Post
Okay so today I check the BPV, saw nothing abnormal, the valve was operating freely( but decided to take it apart to clean and relube). I did notice that the recirc hose had a crack in it right at the edge, where it connects to the valve, but it wasn't all the way thru the hose.

I cleared the code before I left, and about 1.5 miles later I got P2096 back again, and still got 14.5 AFR at idle.

So back to the drawing board, maybe bung or O2 sensor ? and going to order a new recirc hose just to rule that out.
Well, you're in good company. I've fought this code in the past and now it's back for me too since a few days ago!

Some history - Had my UR catted DP on for about 20k before I got p2096 for the first time. Tried everything suggested I could find in the threads and finally broke down and replaced the secondary o2 sensor. That worked and code never came back.

Fast forward to a couple days ago and p2096 comes back on. It has been about 15k since I replaced the rear o2 sensor. Could it have gone bad again? Maybe. Unfortunately the AP cannot monitor o2 voltages which is the first thing I would check.

Since I had my GFB on full VTA (ran great, no driveability issue at all), I immediately adjusted to full recirc and cleared the code. It came back on the next drive. Thinking maybe the GFB was sticking, yesterday I swapped out with my old Turbosmart BPV that never gave me any issues. Cleared the code, and it came back this morning. Damnit!

One thing I need to try is a hard reset - disconnect battery, pump brakes. Some people have said code kept coming back until they did this. If I can rule out any issues with the BPV then maybe I'll clean my MAF, and start digging into the o2 sensors as a last resort.

COBB AP V3| HTP 3" Intake | CP-E TMIC | UR Turbo Back Exhuast | GS 3-Port EBCS | DO Meth Injection | Autotech Internals | Denso ITV22 | GFB Respons BPV | DDM 6000k lows | 3000k fogs | 18x8 TSW Nurburgrings | 235/40/18 Toyo Proxes | H&R Springs
speed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-28-2015, 06:19 AM   #4

speed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the worldspeed14 is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Jrs7686; Ok bud, with the Turbosmart back on, well lubed, and a hard reset (battery disconnect) the p2096 has yet to come back, awesome!

I would say lube up your BPV again, fix that recirc hose and give her a reset. Might just work!

COBB AP V3| HTP 3" Intake | CP-E TMIC | UR Turbo Back Exhuast | GS 3-Port EBCS | DO Meth Injection | Autotech Internals | Denso ITV22 | GFB Respons BPV | DDM 6000k lows | 3000k fogs | 18x8 TSW Nurburgrings | 235/40/18 Toyo Proxes | H&R Springs
speed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speed14 For This Useful Post:
Jrs7686 (03-17-2015)
 Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

TheRaveReviewer will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

Currently experiencing the P2096 as we speak. Replaced the downflow 02 sensor, but the CEL came back on 2 days later. Taking it the dealership (yes, yes, I know) tomorrow so they can run some diagnostics.

I know your frustration! Nothing seems inherently wrong, but my MPG is down a little. I may try a hard reset.
TheRaveReviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRaveReviewer For This Useful Post:
Jrs7686 (03-18-2015)
 Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by speed14 View Post
@Jrs7686; Ok bud, with the Turbosmart back on, well lubed, and a hard reset (battery disconnect) the p2096 has yet to come back, awesome!

I would say lube up your BPV again, fix that recirc hose and give her a reset. Might just work!
So replaced the recirc hose with JBR hose yesterday, did a hard reset and cleared the code via AP. This morning got 2096 back after 10 miles or so. Looks like I'll be ordering a new O2 and see if that is the fix, Had autozone price out a NGK secondary ( after CAT) was ~$135, that sound about right ?
 Old 03-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TheRaveReviewer View Post
Currently experiencing the P2096 as we speak. Replaced the downflow 02 sensor, but the CEL came back on 2 days later. Taking it the dealership (yes, yes, I know) tomorrow so they can run some diagnostics.

I know your frustration! Nothing seems inherently wrong, but my MPG is down a little. I may try a hard reset.
def try hard reset first
 Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #8

brandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the worldbrandonnicholson is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jrs7686 View Post
So replaced the recirc hose with JBR hose yesterday, did a hard reset and cleared the code via AP. This morning got 2096 back after 10 miles or so. Looks like I'll be ordering a new O2 and see if that is the fix, Had autozone price out a NGK secondary ( after CAT) was ~$135, that sound about right ?
Rockauto has the a few different brands from $63-$100.
brandonnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonnicholson For This Useful Post:
Jrs7686 (03-19-2015)
 Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

fueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the worldfueledbysean is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm actually having the same issue with p2096. I've had my mods listed in my sig for almost 2 years and then 2 months before I left hawaii the code appeared... I checked my hoses, exhaust and a few other things.

Then I had it shipped to Washington still have the code. I took it to Cobb tuning in Surgeline, they thought it was because my Cobb DP was missing the bung... well, they put it in and code went away till I got home.. lol. I've had a smoke test done to check for leaks, I've cleaned the MAF. I'm gonna do a hard reset and put in new spark plugs, I have IVT22's to put in. I'm at 35k miles so it's time anyway.

I'm assuming the hard reset clears out whatever tune you have on the car? So I'd have to put my tune back on correct?
Sure: RMM, Countershift, Shortcut
Corksport: Shift bushings, eyelids
H&R: Sport springs
OBX: Catback
Misc: Avid.1 a06 18x8, Res delete, 35% Tint, RS Mudflaps, Thule Rack, Green hella horns

Last edited by fueledbysean; 03-27-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
fueledbysean is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by fueledbysean View Post
I'm actually having the same issue with p2096. I've had my mods listed in my sig for almost 2 years and then 2 months before I left hawaii the code appeared... I checked my hoses, exhaust and a few other things.

Then I had it shipped to Washington still have the code. I took it to Cobb tuning in Surgeline, they thought it was because my Cobb DP was missing the bung... well, they put it in and code went away till I got home.. lol. I've had a smoke test done to check for leaks, I've cleaned the MAF. I'm gonna do a hard reset and put in new spark plugs, I have IVT22's to put in. I'm at 35k miles so it's time anyway.

I'm assuming the hard reset clears out whatever tune you have on the car? So I'd have to put my tune back on correct?

I'm not sure about the hard reset wiping the tune. I had factory tune on the car when I did my hard reset, then I reflashed to my custom tune.
 Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #11

inchuljang will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

help anyone... having P2096 issues on a stock MS3 2010.

Help: CEL P2096 on stock MS3 2010
inchuljang is offline   Reply With Quote