register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Reider88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Steering or electrical problem or both

Hey guys, so I have search for an issue similar to the one my wifes car has and nothing has been coming up that hasn't already been done or checked.

The car is a 2012 MS3 with cold air and cat back on it. Now about 3 months ago when she was turning steering woukd lock up all electrical shut down and reboot. Would do this more so at an idle. But could still get it to do it moving slow. Took it in as the car still has powertrain and extended warranty on it. Turns out alternator crapped out. Put in a reman in as that's all extended warranty would pay for.

Car was fine for about four days before it all started again. Took it back. Well it was then throwing all kinds of steering codes. The shop I deal with doesnt have the proper stuff to fully diagnose electric steering. So we took it to the dealer which is about 3 hours away. When I got it too the dealer the lights would still dim a little and blower motor would slow down.

The dealer had it for a few days and they decided that the rem alternator was not rebuilt to Mazda spec so there for wouldnt keep up to the electrical demand. I didnt believe it at the time but I told as long as it gets the car fixed and back to normal I dont care do it.

When I picked the car up the lights where fine but the blower motor would still slow down when turning. Dealer said well the car has been sitting for a few days so drive it the three hours home and charge the battery then it will be fine. What ever wasnt fighting with them anymore so did that. Still no change.

Got in contact with the dealer in a couple days to inform them it wasnt fixed. Told me ok they will call tech support and I would hear back.

Two months later finally heard back. Car went back to them. Took two days for them too decide the battery had a dead cell in it. Said fine provide the test results on the battery which they did and it was bad. So changed the battery. They called saying it was good to go. Went to pick it up three days later. Still doing it even worse then before. Dealer kept the car to do more diagnostics on it. At this time I sat down with the service manager and we came to an agreement that they would keep it until it was 100 percent and no charge for diagnosing to me plus I get a loaner. Great. Also at this time the service manager told me that tech support was leaning towards pcm being faulty due to how it was acting but further diag was needed to confirm.

Fast forward two days later. Get a call from the dealer saying no what the car is doing is perfectly normal which I find hard to believe.

Now the car on a fully charged battery when you turn the steering wheel the blower motor will slow down. If the battery isn't a 100 percent fully charged then lights start to dim as well. And as the battery charge is lower the issues just get worse.

Now things that have been done or check are:
Alternator twice
Battery
All grounds have been check/cleaned
Battery and alternator cables all tight
Voltage drops across all battery cables and grounds and from alternator.
Steering pump for proper performance and output.
Front end(dealer says worn front end causes steering to output more.)

Now we are waiting for mazda canada to call back as they are involved now.

But I need to get this thing fixed right.
Or do any of your guys gen2s do this with the blower motor?
I know it's a long read but any input would be great
Thanks

Last edited by Reider88; 03-14-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Reider88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #2

speed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the worldspeed23 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dang, what a pain....this is not a common issue. Sorry to say, but I dont recall seeing it discussed on here before.
speed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #3

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 205
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Reider88 View Post

But I need to get this thing fixed right.
Or do any of your guys gen2s do this with the blower motor?
I know it's a long read but any input would be great
Thanks
Wow man. Horrible experience. I don't know if they have lemon laws up there but I'd dump the car and get your money back if you can. What a nightmare.

Clearly something is causing a high amp draw when the steering is turned. The pump is electrically driven. Wonder if its going out?
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote