register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013)
> 2010 MS3 - Troubleshoot/Diagnostics

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GohanX

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

EdMazdaMan has a spectacular aura aboutEdMazdaMan has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Timing chain or Pulley noise?

Hi all, I recently started hearing a strange clicking/ticking noise coming from either one of my pulleys or timing chain. I seem to hear the noise mainly on a cold start but it seems intermittent even when the engine has warmed up and especially under low RPMs (e.g. when running the a/c). I made a video of the noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3lQ4sSA2k and wonder if anyone out there has heard something similar and what you did to fix it.

I did take it to the stealership but they didn't provide anything conclusive other than it might possibly be my timing chain. I have my doubts. Thanks for reading.
 Old 11-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #2

thyNo0b has a spectacular aura aboutthyNo0b has a spectacular aura aboutthyNo0b has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

its hard to tell by just listening to the video provided above. to me it kinda sounds like one of your pulleys, but I cant tell you how many 2.3 MZR DISIs have come into the shop with engine failure due to a jump in time caused by old timing chain, guides, tensioners, ect. it seems like they mostly happen around the 100k mile mark, but I've seen some with just 75k miles start having the noise of chains slapping. either way, id save up for a timing job just for the fact that I've seen many of our engines fail due to people not doing it before it's too late. there actually used to be a TSB I believe for the Gen1s for a chain rattle on cold starts, which would entail us replacing the timing chains, guides, tensioners, etc.
thyNo0b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thyNo0b For This Useful Post:
EdMazdaMan (11-06-2019)
 Old 11-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, looks like if I want to keep the car I might need to bite the bullet and get the timing chain done. BTW, the car is right at the 100K mile mark. I am thinking that I'll pay to have it diagnosed to determine what the noise might be first.

Last edited by EdMazdaMan; 11-06-2019 at 09:29 PM.
EdMazdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I finally I know what the cause of the noise is. Turns out the alternator is starting to go and the belt tensioner is bad. Cost of the repair is almost 1K. I might try doing this on my own, so time to research how to's replacing an alternator. Sucks! Anyone do this before??

Last edited by EdMazdaMan; 11-09-2019 at 04:52 PM.
EdMazdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,569 Times in 1,690 Posts
Groans: 60
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There is no clutch in the alternator.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
EdMazdaMan (11-09-2019)
 Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

1k for tensioner job ?

The alternator has a one-way bearing on the pulley to be free while you let off go the fuel and i never had any problem with them while i had to replace some others.
i would start by replacing the 2 iddler pulley bearing. (tensionner and the fix one)
You can even replace just the center bearing for less than 20$ each if you have the skills to get the old out and press the new in. The one on the tensionner has a plastic rib to preven it from going out so it is easier to get the whole pulley but one can break the ribs and glue the new bearing in with locktite or similar.
once at it, the AC clutch bearing is also often falling out, i would check it with the belt removed...
At last, i would mess with the alternator but i would be surprised.... and you can have the bearing replaced if it charge ok, instead of getting a new one

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
EdMazdaMan (11-11-2019)
 Old 11-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Seems natural that with almost 100K on my Speed the bearings in the pulleys are starting to go. Wish I had my own garage because I'd definitely look into replacing the bearings myself - I rent an apartment.

I am currently getting estimates from local shops so I can get the best deal. 1K is silly amount to pay. I am also going to ask the mechanic to see if he can repair the alternator instead of replacing it, especially if it is still charging good.

Thanks!
 Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #8

GohanX is a splendid one to beholdGohanX is a splendid one to beholdGohanX is a splendid one to beholdGohanX is a splendid one to beholdGohanX is a splendid one to beholdGohanX is a splendid one to behold
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
1k for tensioner job ?
Mechanic probably took one look in the engine bay and said "what the shit?!?" The alternator is down in there, I hope I never have to mess with it.
Jeff23spl likes this.
GohanX is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by EdMazdaMan View Post
Seems natural that with almost 100K on my Speed the bearings in the pulleys are starting to go. Wish I had my own garage because I'd definitely look into replacing the bearings myself - I rent an apartment.

I am currently getting estimates from local shops so I can get the best deal. 1K is silly amount to pay. I am also going to ask the mechanic to see if he can repair the alternator instead of replacing it, especially if it is still charging good.
Thanks!
as i said, replacing the alternator could be a second step because it is the hard to reach and costly part to get a good profit...
idler and tension is 30$ us each on Rockauto and can be replaced in less than an hour....with the belt removed it can be easy to check alternator or even put back the belt and start the engine to see if noise is gone....
You lift to remove passenger wheel
remove the splash guard
note the way the belt is installed around each pulley
bend the tensionner with a 14mm long tool to twist the tension (best with a solid tool not ratchet)
remove the belt
remove the tensioner (2x 12mm bolt) and iddler (1x 10mm bolt
put back new ones
put back the belt by using the long 14mm tool
put back everything else.
done.

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff23spl For This Useful Post:
EdMazdaMan (11-14-2019)