register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mczimer
  • 1 Post By helmetface

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Banned

mczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default BNR S3 Installed

Spent two days installing the BNR stage 3 this weekend, what a job! A big shout-out to @atvfreek for the great info and support (will most likely tune it with him).
His how-to: Freeks BNR install

A few tips for those in the future:
  • when bending the coolant line to fit it on the BNR, the best way I found was to mount it on the BNR, then bend it to get over. Smacking with a mallet as some have done may work too, but is more difficult IMHO.
  • I found a 14mm shorty wrench to be a critical component in order to get the rear dp-turbo nut off.
  • Be ready to loose a bunch of coolant, and make sure to clamp the coolant-turbo hose before removing the turbo
  • The lower oil line is the biggest PITA on this entire install. An 8mm ratcheting wrench is a must in order to get the lower tube-block bolt in. I also used a vice grip to give the ratchet some more length as well.

Some sizes added to atvfreek's list (to the best of my knowledge):
-Remove heat shields from manifold and turbo (8mm socket)
-Remove heat shield from the brake master cylinder (8mm socket)
-Remove egr valve and coolant hose from the coolant housing on the drivers side of the cylinder head (egr valve-2 8mm socket with extension)
-Remove brake booster hose, purge solenoid hose, and fuel line feed for the hpfp (I removed these from the firewall and then from the respective locations, to avoid damaging them. The fuel/blue is on the bottom of firewall and red is over it. Brake booster line is to the right of them
-Remove DP and upper manifold to turbo bolts (14mm socket with extensions, 14mm stubby)
-Unbolt oil feed line from the top of the turbo (8mm)
-Then go under the car and Remove the oil return line (8mm ratcheting wrench)
-Disconnect lower coolant line from turbo
-remove the turbo bracket

So, overall, I need to get a 3BAR and 3 port ebcs. I am now currently running a t-fitting as a temporary solution until those items can be sourced. Still looking for what to get and where, but I am leaning towards a Grimmspeed and the plug n play harness/3bar setup.

Thanks to all those who have contributed with info on the installation of this turbo, sorry I do not have pics to share.

Oh, I have two left over bolts, I cannot recall where they go. 14mm and 12mm (HELP ME)
tastysi2004 likes this.
mczimer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mczimer For This Useful Post:
atvfreek (10-28-2012), BrianB6 (10-31-2012), Dahouse702 (10-28-2012), tastysi2004 (10-28-2012), TiGraySpeed6 (10-28-2012)
 Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #2

atvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,000 Times in 6,143 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Glad to hear you got it installed. Lol at left over bolts... It happens.

The 14mm head bolt looks like it may go to the turbo support bracket but hard to tell.

Freekn tappin
11.321@129.93
atvfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atvfreek For This Useful Post:
Fail_6 (10-30-2012)
 Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,363 Times in 6,958 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You'll enjoy this turbo for sure!

We Engineer, and that's better than just tuning!

www.stratifiedauto.com
COBB AP and VersaTuner Custom Tuning. Guardian Angel Protection and Boost Control.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

helmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the worldhelmetface is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,188 Posts
Groans: 219
Groaned at 70 Times in 52 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not too sure but those bolts look super important...

Haha, I end up with several left over nuts and bolts from every install.
tastysi2004 likes this.
 Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,752 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

nice upgrade
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #6

Matrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the worldMatrix311 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,882 Times in 735 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can't Wait to see your results after your tuned. I just about bought this turbo. Everyone loves this turbo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2007 MS3 Sport, gtx3071r, Full-Race Exhaust Manifold, SP PNP Intake Manifold, SP 88mm Pistons 9:5:1, Manley H Beam Rods, 10mm H11 Head Studs, ARP Main Studs, 4" HTP TIP + Small Battery Tray, 3 Bar MAP, Grimmspeed ECBS, CP-E FMIC, CP-E DP, CP-E Nexus CBE, Tokay Injector Seals, CP-E RMM, SU PMM, TRZ TMM, PTP FP Internals, DCR VVT, JBrone Shift Plate, SU Shifter Bushings, HKS SSQV, ITV22, DIY Perm Plate with dual OCC, Corksport Radiator Shroud, Southbend Stage 3 Clutch, DO Stage 2 Meth D10, Evo X Wheels, 245/40-18 Nitto NT05, Koni Sports + H&R Springs **463whp/409lb-ft via Mustang Dyno as of 3/28/14**

**9/19/13** Zoom Zoom Boom ** Currently Rebuilding with goal of 475whp
**11/19/13** Forged engine built and started up the car for the first time, success!
**3/28/14** Dyno results from build 463whp / 409lb-ft Mustang Dyno
**6/24/15** Sold the Mazdaspeed 3
**7/4/15** Purchased 2015 F150 Ecoboost Lariat FX4 with Sport Package
Matrix311 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Swinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,023 Posts
Groans: 53
Groaned at 45 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mczimer View Post
Spent two days installing the BNR stage 3 this weekend, what a job! A big shout-out to @atvfreek for the great info and support (will most likely tune it with him).
His how-to: Freeks BNR install

A few tips for those in the future:
  • when bending the coolant line to fit it on the BNR, the best way I found was to mount it on the BNR, then bend it to get over. Smacking with a mallet as some have done may work too, but is more difficult IMHO.
  • I found a 14mm shorty wrench to be a critical component in order to get the rear dp-turbo nut off.
  • Be ready to loose a bunch of coolant, and make sure to clamp the coolant-turbo hose before removing the turbo
  • The lower oil line is the biggest PITA on this entire install. An 8mm ratcheting wrench is a must in order to get the lower tube-block bolt in. I also used a vice grip to give the ratchet some more length as well.

Some sizes added to atvfreek's list (to the best of my knowledge):
-Remove heat shields from manifold and turbo (8mm socket)
-Remove heat shield from the brake master cylinder (8mm socket)
-Remove egr valve and coolant hose from the coolant housing on the drivers side of the cylinder head (egr valve-2 8mm socket with extension)
-Remove brake booster hose, purge solenoid hose, and fuel line feed for the hpfp (I removed these from the firewall and then from the respective locations, to avoid damaging them. The fuel/blue is on the bottom of firewall and red is over it. Brake booster line is to the right of them
-Remove DP and upper manifold to turbo bolts (14mm socket with extensions, 14mm stubby)
-Unbolt oil feed line from the top of the turbo (8mm)
-Then go under the car and Remove the oil return line (8mm ratcheting wrench)
-Disconnect lower coolant line from turbo
-remove the turbo bracket

So, overall, I need to get a 3BAR and 3 port ebcs. I am now currently running a t-fitting as a temporary solution until those items can be sourced. Still looking for what to get and where, but I am leaning towards a Grimmspeed and the plug n play harness/3bar setup.

Thanks to all those who have contributed with info on the installation of this turbo, sorry I do not have pics to share.

Oh, I have two left over bolts, I cannot recall where they go. 14mm and 12mm (HELP ME)

I think those bolts (or at least one of them) could be from the old downpipe and the mounting part on the first cat to bolt up to the frame. My first guess.

Performance:

Stratified Tune in progress

Old Set-up: CS Ram air intake with 3" HTP inlet + "sig"
Vdyno 323 awhp 349 awtq uncorrected

Current Set up: JBR 3.5" WP, Perm PCV w/dual catch cans, trunk battery
Vdyno 343 awhp 374 awtq uncorrected

Corksport CBE ~ Ebay DP ~ Autotech Internals ~ COBB AP ~ BC Racing Coilovers ~ SURE shortcut ~ SURE countershift ~ SURE anchors ~ heavy sphere shift knob by maisonvi (MSF member) ~ CP-E seals ~ BSD ~ baffle pan ~ Dual Corksport OCC ~ CP-E Rear Diff Mount ~ SURE Juggernaught ~ Dashhawk ~ AWR 88 duro trilogy ~ EGR delete ~ 3 bar ~ JBR TIG's ~ Grimmspeed 3 port ~ GT2871R w/ported hotside ~ JBR 3.5 inch intake ~ Perm Tuning PCV Plate ~ Forge V1 BPV ~ ITV22's @ .026" ~ CP-E Helihose
Swinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Fail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,484 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pretty good write up here, a lot of helpful tips for those doing this on their own

Grimmspeed is of course the most popular ebcs (and good on you for choosing ebcs over mbc), thoughive had nothing but success with the perrin. Bosche sells their 3 bar for $29 off the ballenger motorsports website, and be sure to pick up the plug and play from @MattJackson86 for approx $60. Make the install 10 mins, if that, with a 7 mm socket

Good luck
FreekBuilt Longblock, Manley 9.5:1, Manley H Beams, BW S300SX 6268 1.00 A/R, Dual Tial 38mm MVR EWG, Twinscroll Tubular Top Mount, EGR Delete, Labontes Stage 2 Meth Kit w/ D10, Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS, 3 Bar Map Sensor w/ Matt Jackson Harness, PERM 4" Intake, Cp-E HPFP, CX Racing FMIC, HKS SSQV V3, NGK IX 6510's, Toyota Injector Seals, PERM Catless 3" Turboback w/ dual Magnaflow Magnapaks, PERM Top Mount Valve Cover, PNP Intake Mani, BSD, ACT ZX4-HDG6, Bilstein HD Shocks, H & R Springs, Stoptech Slotted Rotors w/ API Ceramic Pads, JBR Heavy Shift Knob

Stock motor w/ GT2871r:
380 awhp, 375 awtq @ 24 psi (e85 only)
- 13.1 @ 110, 2.1 60 ft
Fail_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fail_6 For This Useful Post:
BrianB6 (10-31-2012), MattJackson86 (10-30-2012)
 Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Banned

mczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the worldmczimer is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Swinger13 View Post
I think those bolts (or at least one of them) could be from the old downpipe and the mounting part on the first cat to bolt up to the frame. My first guess.
I have an aftermarket downpipe. Can you clarify?
mczimer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #10

SWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the worldSWAY is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,891 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 190
Groaned at 60 Times in 43 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by PartiAudiMazdarati View Post
Pretty good write up here, a lot of helpful tips for those doing this on their own

Grimmspeed is of course the most popular ebcs (and good on you for choosing ebcs over mbc), thoughive had nothing but success with the perrin. Bosche sells their 3 bar for $29 off the ballenger motorsports website, and be sure to pick up the plug and play from @MattJackson86 for approx $60. Make the install 10 mins, if that, with a 7 mm socket

Good luck
Mazdaspeed MAP Harness - Bitwise Motorsports

Home » Shop » Sensors » Pressure Sensors » Bosch 3 Bar TMap Map Sensor with IAT

Heres the map harness site to purchase

edit: I dont know why i quoted you but theres what he needs

TEAM LBN BEERS -- FYCN
TEAM MUMFORD -- FYCN
SWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SWAY For This Useful Post:
breakfstincluded (10-30-2012), Fail_6 (10-30-2012), MattJackson86 (10-30-2012), mczimer (10-30-2012)
 Old 10-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Swinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the worldSwinger13 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,023 Posts
Groans: 53
Groaned at 45 Times in 25 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mczimer View Post
I have an aftermarket downpipe. Can you clarify?
when you took the stock cat out (the 1st cat) there should be a mounting plate that sticks out where it bolts up to the frame. Refer to the image in the red circle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (60.7 KB, 76 views)

Performance:

Stratified Tune in progress

Old Set-up: CS Ram air intake with 3" HTP inlet + "sig"
Vdyno 323 awhp 349 awtq uncorrected

Current Set up: JBR 3.5" WP, Perm PCV w/dual catch cans, trunk battery
Vdyno 343 awhp 374 awtq uncorrected

Corksport CBE ~ Ebay DP ~ Autotech Internals ~ COBB AP ~ BC Racing Coilovers ~ SURE shortcut ~ SURE countershift ~ SURE anchors ~ heavy sphere shift knob by maisonvi (MSF member) ~ CP-E seals ~ BSD ~ baffle pan ~ Dual Corksport OCC ~ CP-E Rear Diff Mount ~ SURE Juggernaught ~ Dashhawk ~ AWR 88 duro trilogy ~ EGR delete ~ 3 bar ~ JBR TIG's ~ Grimmspeed 3 port ~ GT2871R w/ported hotside ~ JBR 3.5 inch intake ~ Perm Tuning PCV Plate ~ Forge V1 BPV ~ ITV22's @ .026" ~ CP-E Helihose
Swinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f498/bnr-s3-installed-128679/
Posted By For Type Date
How do I remove the oil drain from a KO4 turbo ? - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 01-06-2014 12:59 PM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 236 This thread Refback 06-08-2013 09:13 PM
Beaner time! - Page 15 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 05-16-2013 03:17 PM
Beaner time! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 01-26-2013 12:17 PM
BNR Stage 3 Turbo Upgrade - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 10-30-2012 12:30 PM