register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree47Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,245 Times in 2,732 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +2 score     
Default BNR S3 Swap How To

I will just be updating the first post as I progress to fill in the blanks, so feel free to crap up the rest of the thread.

Parts List:

Necessary:
BNR S3 Turbo - $1200
-6AN Braided Hose 3 FT - $17 (only 12" needed for MS3)
2 screw type hose clamps 1$

Recommended:
DNP Manifold - $600
THERMO SHIELD TAPE 1.5INx 15FT - $15
Cobb TIP - $165
EX Manifold-head Gasket - $39
EX Manifold-Turbo Gasket - $39
Turbo-DP Gasket - $39
Grimmspeed ECBS - $106
PB Blaster - $4 (11 oz)
Permatex Anti-Seize - $10 (8 oz)

Optional:
Swaintech White Lightning Ceramic Coating for both Mani and hot side of turbo: $400
Prosport EGT Gauge - $89
Vent Pod - $40
EGT Bung - $4 (Paid some dude $20 to weld it to manifold)

Please note, I just listed the parts I am using. Those are not necessarily the prices I paid, I haggled with the vendors, and bought some things used. There are other options for parts. For example, the Cobb TIP could be replaced with any other silicone TIP but the PG TIP will not fit very well. I am not going to cover these things in the first post, only go over exactly what I did.

Tool List:
1/2" Ratchet
3/8" Ratchet (flex head)
3/8" 3" Extension (2)
3/8" Universal Joint
1/4" Ratchet
1/4" Ratchet Extension
17mm Box End wrench (6pt)
17mm 3/8" Drive Socket (6pt)
14mm 1/2" Drive Socket (6pt)
14mm 3/8" Drive Socket (6pt)
14mm 3/8" Drive Deepwall Socket (6pt)
14mm Box End wrench (12pt)
14mm Box End wrench (6pt)
14mm Flex Ratchet Wrench (12pt)
12mm 1/4" Drive Socket (6pt)
10mm 1/4" Drive Socket (6pt)
8mm 3/8" Drive Socket (6pt)
8mm 1/4" Drive Deepwell Socket (6pt)
8mm 1/4" Drive Socket (6pt)
8mm Box end wrench (6pt)
Bent Needle nose pliers
Hacksaw
2lb Deadblow

1 -> Remove manifold

1.1 -> Remove Battery Box
10mm wrench, pliers. If you cant do this, stop the guide, ask for help from somebody who knows how

1.2 -> Remove firewall heatshield
This assumes you have already removed your TMIC. I have an FMIC so this is where I begin.
There are two black plastic twists on this piece, I turned them and pulled them at the same time to get em off. After that just pull up and out to remove the heatshield.

1.3 -> Remove Manifold Heat Shields

1.3.1 -> Remove Top Heatshield
Access from top, use 1/4" Ratchet with a combination of the 8mm deep socket and extension to remove the 5 bolts. It is one hell of a bitch to get out of there.

1.3.2 -> Remove Bottom Heatshield
Access from top, use a 8mm box end wrench to blindly access the 3 bolts. Ratcheting 8mm wrench would be a big help. Heatshield is easily removed from the top.

1.3.3 -> Remove Side Heatshield
Access 2 of the 3 bolts from the top. The one towards the firewall with the 8mm box end wrench (ratcheting preferred) and the side using a 1/4" ratchet and the standard 8mm socket. Move to the bottom and remove the 3rd bolt using the ratchet and standard socket. Turn the heatshield around the WGA arm, and push upwards. Then go back up top and pull it the rest of the way out. Its a bit of a pain.

1.3.4 -> Heatshields Removed
This is where I PB blasted the hell out of every bolt I will be turning later. All 5 on the downpipe, the 10 between the head and the manifold, and the 4 between the turbo and the manifold.

1.4 -> Remove Hot Pipe
Will vary wildly, I use a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive

1.5 -> Remove TMIC brace
This little bracket is a bitch. Two 13mm bolts to remove, but removing the small silver sub-brace first will make your job alot easier. I used a flex head 13mm ratcheting wrench to remove the bolts, but I had to lean on em pretty hard. A real knuckle buster.

1.6 -> Remove Turbo Brace
This was incredibly hard for me, I ended up having to use a 2ft cheater bar to loosen one of the 14mm bolts, and I snapped a 3/8" drive 14mm socket on it. I used a 1/2" drive with a 14mm socket to remove the bottom two (one with the cheater bar) and a 3/8" drive with a 14mm socket to remove the one to the turbo. This is all done from under the car. Maybe the heat my bracket has seen that caused some of the discoloration made it more difficult to remove the bolts. This will probably be significantly more difficult if you are still using the stock DP as there is much less space to work behind the block from under the car.

1.7 -> Loosen turbo to mani studs
4x 14mm, I used a 3/8" drive 14mm deepwall with a single 3" extension to loosen these though a standard socket and 2 extensions would work just as well. I had to lean into them a bit to get them to loosen.

1.8 -> Loosen Mani to Head nuts.
This is the real pain in the ass of the whole thing. I did 9 of the nuts from the top, only the one that is directly above the turbo brace previously removed was done from the bottom. Fortunately I did not run into any that were really stuck. I used a combination of a 14mm box end wrench, 14mm ratcheting flex head wrench (mostly for removing nuts already broken loose), a deepwall 14mm 3/8" drive socket, a pair of extensions and a 3/8" drive universal joint to remove the top 9. The bottom nut was broken loose using the 14mm box end wrench and then removed using the ratcheting wrench.

1.9 -> Extract Maniold
I pushed down on the downpipe and lifted up on the end of the manifold that connects it to the turbo to free it. Then I just wiggled it around to get it off the head studs. This could be significantly more difficult if the studs all stay in the turbo. Mine all came out but one.
I also removed the two gaskets at this point and re-pb blasted the downpipe to turbo bolts.

2 -> Remove Turbo

2.1 -> Remove TIP
This step will vary, I am uninstalling a PG TIP and used a pair of pliers for the hose clamps to the BPV and a 10mm, 1/4" socket for the other hose clamps. remember to disconnect the ECBS, and for the PG TIP, the 10mm nut that holds the TIP to the block.

2.2 ->Remove attachments from turbo.

2.2.1 ->First up is a small nut that holds a bracket on the bottom of the compressor housing. Use a 12mm 1/4" socket to remove this. Leave the stud in the bracket for now.

2.2.2 -> Remove oil feed line
This is a 14mm Banjo bolt on the top of the turbo. I used a 3/8" ratchet and an 3" extension to get it off. Save the banjo bolt for later, but toss the crush washers. The BNR comes with replacement crush washers. I left the other end attached to the block.

2.2.3 -> Remove oil drain line
From under the car there are 4 8mm bolts to remove to completely remove the oil drain line. I used a 1/4" ratchet and a 3" extension. The long bolts go to the block, the shorter ones attach the line to the turbo. I only had a few drops of oil come out as my car had sat overnight. Save the gaskets.

2.2.4 -> Remove coolant feed line.
From under the car you can see the coolant feed line that runs to a coolant pipe. Use Vice grips (or you have them hose clamps) to clamp the rubber portion of the hose. Then use a pair of pliers to remove the clamp on the turbo side of the hose and pull it loose. Watch out because there will be a splatter of coolant as the water jacket on the turbo empties.

2.2.5 -> Remove coolant drain line.
From the top, locate the hose that goes from the turbo to the EGR. Move the hose clamp that attaches the hose to the EGR and pull it loose.

2.2.6 -> Unplug ECBS
Locate the ECBS and unplug it from the harness.

2.3 -> Unbolt Downpipe.
I used a 14mm 12pt Box end wrench for this. Its alot easier to access the bolts without the manifold interfering. 3 are removed from the top, and the bottom two are removed from below. If none of the studs stay in the turbo when you remove them be careful as the turbo will want to drop.

2.4 ->Remove turbo
To remove the turbo I pushed it away from the downpipe first to get it free of those studs, then I pulled it towards the DP to remove the last stud from the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the compressor housing. Note the vice grips still attached to the coolant feed line. These must remain in place or the coolant will start to flow.

3 -> Install BNR Turbo

3.1 -> Prepare BNR Turbo

3.1.1 -> Remove studs from stock turbo
What is important here is that you have enough hardware to put the BNR back in. My BNR came with 2 studs in the hotside, so I needed 7 of the studs and all of the nuts to put the BNR back in. The best way to remove studs from the turbo is to thread one nut on backwards, then another nut on regular so their flat sides face each other. Snug both nuts against each other, then turn counterclockwise on the inside nut (backwards facing) and it should remove the stud. Then with the stud removed, turn the inside nut clockwise, and the outside one counterclockwise to loosen them from each other. once they are loose, it should be easy to remove them from the stud. I would remove all studs from the BNR turbo as well as it will make installation easier. Tools needed: 2 14mm box end wrenches.

3.1.2 -> Remove stock coolant drain banjo bolt and reuse
All you need here is just the 17mm banjo bolt. once removed, toss the crush washers, and use the banjo bolt to attach the 6AN fitting, using new crush washers, orienting it as shown. Tighten securely, but don't gorilla it, its easy to break banjo bolts. Used a 17mm box end wrench. *Note: It is important to angle the banjo towards the compressor housing as shown. If you do not it will interfere with the manifold flange & gasket see 3.5.2 for the resulting routing and spacing

3.1.3 -> Remove stock coolant feed line and reuse
This line will be reused on the BNR. Use a 17mm box end wrench to take off the banjo bolt, then toss the crush washers. You will have to bend this line slightly to fit around the larger compressor housing. It should fit as shown below. Re-secure it using new crush washers and torque similarly to above.

3.1.4 -> Remove stock hot side shield and reuse (optional)
8mm box end wrench is used here to remove the two bolts. Transfer to same place on the BNR turbo and attach it using the same two bolts.

3.2 -> Attach BNR to downpipe
Drop the turbo behind the firewall and line it up with the downpipe. Insert the gasket between them and insert one stud. Apply anti-seize to stud before threading. Insert other two top studs and put nuts on all 3 at this point and snug them using a 14mm box end wrench (12pt preferable) Then go below and insert the bottom two studs and nuts and tighten them up using the 14mm wrench. These should be very tight to prevent leaks, and liberal use of anti-seize will make your life easier in the future. Go back up top and tighten the top 3 nuts. A friend would be very useful for this step.

3.3 -> Temporarily install support bracket
push up on the turbo/downpipe and secure the two bolts that attach the support to the block. Leave them loose as this will be removed later. I used a 14mm socket, 3" extension with a 3/8" ratchet for these bolts. I sued anti-seize on all 3 bolts.

3.4 -> Install oil feed line
Using the 14mm banjo bolt set aside eariler and new crush washers, secure the oil feed to the top of the CHRA. Tighten well to prevent leaks, but be careful of damaging the bolt. Used the same ratchet setup from the previous step.

3.5 -> Coolant drain line

3.5.1 -> Fab coolant drain line
For a MS3, you only need about 11.5" of line to reach from the turbo outlet to the EGR. A 12" premade line would suffice, I bought alot because I didn't know. I used a hacksaw to cut it. If you do this, make sure to tape over where you will be cutting to keep the braid from fraying.

3.5.2 -> Begin installing coolant drain line
I secured both ends using screw type hose clamps, routing the tubing as shown.

3.6 -> Connect coolant feed line
Might need a mallet, I had to do a bit more bending from under the car. Then push the hose on and resecure clip. Leave the vice grips on the hose till it is connected unless you want coolant in your face.

3.7 -> Oil drain line
Connect this to the turbo first using an 8mm socket, 1/4" ratchet and 3" extension. Do not screw all the way in before attaching it to the block. After its been attached to the block, tighten the screws to the turbo, but leave the ones to the block loose. Remember from before, the long screws go to the block, the shorter ones to the turbo.

4 -> Reinstall manifold

4.1 -> Install new manifold to head gasket

4.2 -> Begin attaching manifold to head
This required quite a few tries for me, I had to do a bit of filing on some hole of the DNP manifold to get it to seat correctly. Once it was slid all the way on, I secured it with three of the 14mm nuts across the top that were easy to access using a combination of a14mm box end wrench and a 14mm socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet. Before butting the nuts on the studs apply anti seize to them. Leave it some room to move around. This step will be much harder if you left any studs in the turbo.

4.3 -> Attach manifold to turbo
Because the oil drain line and the support bracket on the turbo and the manifold are not fully bolted down I have some room to move around the parts for this step. Everywhere that something is threaded I applied anti-seize. Slip the manifold-turbo gasket between the parts, noting that the "v" side should face the block. You may one to take a look at the stock turbo as there is only one way this gasket will fit on. After the gasket is roughly in place, slip a stud down one of the top holes and tug on the gasket to verify the stud is thru the gasket. Using one hand pull on the downpipe to align it, while feeling for the thread holes with the stud with the other. This is another step that a friend would be very useful. After you get the first one started, the rest are pretty easy. For a DNP manifold I used a 14mm socket with a 3" extension on a 3/8" ratchet for both the drivers side nuts, and a 14mm 12pt box end wrench for the 2 passenger side ones. Torque all 4 down as best you can.

4.4 -> Finish Installing manifold
At this point I torqued down all the nuts attaching the manifold to the head. I started from the top, torquing down all 8 I had access to using a combination of a 14mm 12pt box end wrench, a 14mm deep socket on a 3/8" drive, and a flex head 14mm ratcheting wrench. Then I went below, removed the support bracket using the 14mm 3/8" deep socket and ratchet and torqued down the last two manifold to head nuts using a 14mm 12pt box end wrench.

4.5 -> Install support bracket
3 14mm bolts, you should be familiar with this by now. Attach all 3, then secure the one to the turbo first, allowing it to move the bracket, then torque down the other two to lock it into place. If you torque the ones to the block first, when you torque the one on the turbo it will pull on the manifold, stressing it, and making it more likely to crack so don't do that.

4.6 -> Secure oil drain line
Torque down the oil drain line bolts (8mm) to the block as this was left loose earlier. If you didn't loosely secure it before you may have to bend it around bit to make it mate.

4.7 -> Reattach AC line\TMIC brace
Reattach the primary brace to the block first using the 13mm bolts and a ratcheting flex head 13mm wrench. I anti-seized these as well. Then attach the sub brace using its 10mm nut, using a 1/4" drive and a 3" extension, and last up secure the AC line to the brace using the last 10mm nut.

4.8 -> Apply thermal tape
This is where I repaired my heatshield, cut a slit in it for my EGT probe, which was badly located and installed it. I also taped the firewall above the heatshield, and the plastic cowling above that. I also placed some around the wires of the 02 sensor and used a bit to secure it to the firewall heatshield. All this may not be necessary for a street or drag car, but my car will see sustained runs on the track so even with the ceramic coating, I expect things to get hot back there. Only tool used was a box cutter to cut the tape, but anything with a sharp edge will work.

4.9 -> Re-install Hot Pipe
10mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet. I also heat wrapped the silicone bend near the manifold, just being cautious. The BNR seems to have a longer snout than the stock turbo, so I was able to get away would using my ugly klooge of an extension.

4.10 -> Re-install TIP
8mm 3/8" socket and a couple extensions for the hose clamps on this one. If you are re-installing the same one from before you shouldn't have to modify anything. I had to shorten my recirc hose a bit since I was going from a PG to a COBB TIP.

4.11 -> Run EGT Wires (optional)
At this point I pulled my EGT sensor wires around tied it off to a few harnesses behind the battery box, and fed them into the cabin through the hole for the hood release (same place I ran my oil pressure and oil temp wires)

4.12 -> Install battery box
See 1.1

5 -> Grimmspeed ECBS
Grimmspeed has a pretty good guide already for this. Just note there is no reason to use the little vacuum line adapter they supply when using the BNR, and be careful with the hose, you have just enough to run all 3 lines so it might be a good idea to get some extra. I am not a huge fan of how long the lines are with their install location, but I will give it a shot. If I see slow response I will move it somewhere closer. You will need a 10mm wrench and a 10mm socket for this. Also to use their location you will need a 1/4" drill bit.

I attached their guide incase it goes missing at some point.

6 -> TEST!

6.1 -> Test Map
Next I made a map with 0's in the WGDC column, and timing I know to be conservative from previous testing and flashed it to the car so I could power the car on with and make sure all the connections are good.

6.2 -> Prime the turbo
I don't know if it is really necessary, but I didn't think it worth the chance so I gave the car 3 5 second cranks to get the oil moving before I took it off the jackstands. To do this just press the gaspedal to the floor while you run the starter. Then I went underneath the car to look for leaks again

6.3 -> Power up
Take the car off the jackstands, and power it up. I let it idle for 5 minutes while I listened for leaks at every interface I messed with. Also kept an eye on the STFTs to check for vacuum leaks.

6.4 -> Test drive
Drove around in 4th gear gradually working my way up to WOT watching the STFTs again (excessively positive under boost means a pre-turbo leak, negative means post-turbo leak) Got the oil up to 180º and then parked it in the garage again.

6.5 -> Post test checkout
Let the car sit and then check your turbo connections for leaks again. Go over all the ECBS vacuum lines to see if any budged. ECBS LINES COMING OFF HAVE A HIGH CHANCE OF BLOWING YOUR MOTOR (till lex finishes his guardian angel)

Up next - Tuning!

ATR tuning A BNR Stage 3

Lastest Tuning results (2011-10-27) using 3/9 E85/Gas mix.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0369.JPG (74.5 KB, 9530 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0370.JPG (97.6 KB, 9480 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0371.JPG (106.8 KB, 9421 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0373.JPG (64.7 KB, 9394 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0375.JPG (63.0 KB, 9380 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.JPG (103.1 KB, 9337 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0377.JPG (105.4 KB, 9224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.JPG (85.3 KB, 9202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.JPG (77.1 KB, 9199 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf boost_control_solenoid_MazdaSpeed.pdf (1.69 MB, 764 views)
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk

Last edited by Ziggo; 07-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Ziggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 153 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
09speedaddict (06-01-2012), 2010Speed3 (09-23-2012), 3dpilot (05-17-2012), 4G63 (08-17-2011), 802MS3 (09-14-2011), 86AmishMs3 (10-04-2011), :: Gusto :: (09-21-2015), Addikted To Boost (12-10-2014), adlpb (07-06-2012), AJ713 (09-27-2011), ak_spray (01-12-2012), almcbs (11-29-2013), Alpha (11-15-2011), Amnesiac (06-13-2014), aom336 (11-30-2015), ASHMS3 (05-26-2012), atvfreek (08-17-2011), aviator79 (10-25-2013), AZSPEED3 (08-17-2011), BackRoads (05-01-2013), bazzarino (09-29-2011), best_predator (06-21-2012), BigjohnB20 (08-17-2011), BlueStreak (08-16-2011), BLURSPORTS (10-05-2011), bmylez (08-18-2011), BrianB6 (08-18-2011), Broxer (08-17-2011), bryancregger (05-30-2014), bstover17 (01-04-2014), Caligula (08-01-2012), Cevaes_64 (05-12-2014), charlesfist (08-18-2011), Ckmazdaspeed3 (08-19-2011), ckMS3 (02-25-2012), cld12pk2go (09-17-2011), CodeMan (08-28-2012), comcam77 (04-06-2013), Constantin (06-05-2012), CWP_MS3 (08-13-2012), Dahouse702 (02-26-2013), dale_gribble (10-30-2013), dantes5823 (04-01-2012), dereeek (01-25-2012), Dr. Speed (11-12-2012), drknyte (08-18-2011), eljefe62 (05-13-2012), ESB Jiu JItsu (07-06-2012), event (09-11-2011), FADE2GRY (08-16-2011), faeker (01-31-2013), flapjack (01-22-2018), Fobio (08-17-2011), Franky-5-Fingaz (04-20-2017), free_refil (08-16-2011), frodaddyweez (08-19-2011), G1sdaname (05-10-2015), Geo13 (05-17-2012), GregScuba (04-29-2015), gsrtype1 (09-10-2013), GunGuru727 (07-04-2012), h.h.sk1nny (08-19-2012), h0ckeyman (08-26-2012), Haltech (08-10-2012), Hamilton69 (10-27-2011), He Hate Me (09-10-2013), helmetface (08-31-2012), I Love Brownies (08-17-2011), IMASA (09-21-2011), impossible (08-11-2013), ItsNox (07-25-2013), JasonMzdSpd3 (04-08-2012), JeffroMS3 (11-02-2013), johnbarr00 (08-13-2013), jracer (08-16-2011), jrlms6 (07-07-2012), Jsn_Rob (01-08-2012), kenny7821 (03-22-2015), kgb (07-06-2012), kngeducate (08-16-2011), KostasCX-7 (08-17-2011), kritz (11-05-2011), laxplayermjd (08-18-2011), lpugfan2004 (04-23-2013), magicka (08-18-2011), manelscout4life (08-17-2011), manselainen (01-11-2012), massiespeed3 (09-19-2012), Mast (06-23-2013), MattJackson86 (08-17-2011), mayer (11-11-2011), mazdaspeedemon3 (11-05-2012), MD1032 (10-27-2015), meelo88 (03-19-2013), Micha (12-21-2012), mike w (10-28-2013), Mistersix (06-02-2012), MS3 Ventura (08-12-2012), ms3blackmica (04-24-2013), mzr0818 (09-15-2011), nlgiebel (06-28-2015), nycMS3 (05-12-2012), obijack (10-18-2011), Onelovesoccer (05-13-2012), p057 (02-02-2012), PapaBruno (05-01-2017), Pointless (11-19-2012), Project_dog (08-06-2015), Pseud0logik (04-03-2012), PunjabiPlaya (08-17-2011), Qwik6 (12-11-2013), racingred (09-14-2011), Randallpw (09-01-2015), redboat (02-21-2013), rfinkle2 (08-17-2011), rghispanic88 (01-04-2012), Rich990 (06-06-2013), robry (07-31-2012), RobT2009 (08-12-2012), Rocklobsta1109 (07-17-2012), ryno077 (10-02-2012), S-hendrix (07-03-2012), Sacrilicious (09-25-2011), SamiChicago (07-21-2014), ScarMS3 (08-18-2011), sezyboy (12-20-2012), shadesofgray19 (08-16-2011), shadow255 (08-05-2012), sidekick (08-30-2012), silvapain (08-16-2011), Silverspec06 (11-26-2012), skeurton (06-15-2012), SLOWHATCH (05-22-2012), slw97 (02-05-2015), spals (04-16-2014), speed14 (09-14-2011), speed23 (08-18-2011), speed3 britz (12-11-2013), speedms6 (08-16-2011), SpeedNess (08-18-2011), Squid (08-18-2011), stevehuff (01-03-2013), taf0422 (11-25-2012), TexasSpeed3 (11-08-2011), themytb (07-06-2012), Tokay444 (08-16-2011), tokoam (12-19-2013), twowheelrides (08-28-2012), warlockfan92 (09-20-2012), WA_MS6 (02-23-2015), wolly6973 (08-17-2011), zpele (09-11-2011), zxhoya (08-29-2016)
 Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #2

zenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the world
Groans: 13
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

are you going to use the turbo bracket still to support the turbo? Or are you just using the header to "pull up" the turbo?

Why using a EBCS or MBC ?

Are you reusing stock oil lines ? Or just replacing coolant lines with 6an?

Zoom Zoom Boom part out.
zenger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zenger For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #3

Ziggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the worldZiggo is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

A) Stock turbo bracket should bolt right up, it uses the stock hotside.

B) ECBS upgrade is listed as recommended, but not necessary. The 3port should allow me to dial in the boost much more effectively.

C) 6AN tube is to replace the stock coolant hardline so I don't have to modify it. All stock oil lines will be used.

---
- Zigatapatalka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0380.JPG (81.8 KB, 9014 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0381.JPG (115.1 KB, 9019 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0382.JPG (60.1 KB, 8963 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0384.JPG (92.6 KB, 8927 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0385.JPG (97.5 KB, 8906 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.JPG (92.0 KB, 8927 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0388.JPG (97.6 KB, 8878 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0387.JPG (88.3 KB, 8867 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.JPG (121.2 KB, 8872 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.JPG (122.7 KB, 8858 views)
rfinkle2 and JasonMzdSpd3 like this.
BC Coilovers (-2.5º F, -1º R) \ Saitek Front Endlinks \ SPC Rear Camber Arms \ Hotchkis FSB & RSB
JBR 88 Duro RMM TMM PMM \ COBB AP (Self Tuned) \ EGT \ Oil Pres \ Oil Temp \ DashHawk

Last edited by Ziggo; 07-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
1sicms3 (09-06-2013), comcam77 (04-06-2013), eljefe62 (02-17-2013), FADE2GRY (08-17-2011), JasonMzdSpd3 (04-08-2012), nlgiebel (06-28-2015), rfinkle2 (08-17-2011), SLOWHATCH (05-22-2012), Tokay444 (08-16-2011), wolly6973 (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #4

zenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the worldzenger is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Great writeup so far; I didn't/don't have the patience when I did mine lol.

What kind of power gains over stock exhmanifold are you expecting with that turbo?

Zoom Zoom Boom part out.
The Following User Says Thank You to zenger For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will be shooting for 330-350 whp.

After I got the manifold out I called it a night. Up this morning is getting the turbo out of there.
rfinkle2 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #6

Mistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice write up. Subbin for your results.
Mistersix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistersix For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (08-17-2011), Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Son of a bitch, I snapped a stud. I have an extra, but don't have an extra nut.
:: Gusto :: likes this.
 Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

speedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the worldspeedms6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

this is great stuff so far, thanks
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 - Ptp SST, Cobb AP, SSP 3.5" Intake, SURE Sidewinder, Autotech HPFP Internals, PTP 2150 psi HPRV, Cp-e Injector Seals, PTP Injector Studs, Jbarone TIG's, VTCS Delete, ETS 3.25" TMIC, M2 Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, MD OCC, Denso ITV 22, H & R springs, Energy Suspension Rear Sway Bar Bushings, Dashhawk, Hawk HPs Pads, Centric Rotors, Street Unit Rear Motor Mount, TWM Stage II Shifter with Solid Bushings and Weighted Shift Knob, Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
speedms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedms6 For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #9

AZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the worldAZSPEED3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,006 Times in 656 Posts
Groans: 65
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Great write up, very detailed. GL on build
AZSPEED3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZSPEED3 For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

nice writeup, but why bother getting aftermarket manifold and sticking with the bnr instead of getting a true 2871?
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimmike For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #11

Broxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the worldBroxer is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,004 Times in 389 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for making this write up, subbed for results.

SOLD -- 2010 Velocity Mica Red MS3
ATP GTX3071r - Cobb AP(Freek Permed) - CNT Catted DP - UR CBE - DO Stage 2 WMI(80/20) - cp-e TMIC - cp-e xcelXL - cp-e invicid inlet - Grimmspeed MBC - KMD v2.2 hpfp internals - Bosch 3bar MAP - H&R Springs - DDM 6k Raptor Kit - ITV22's - Forge v2 BPV - 225/40/18 Nitto Neogens - SURE RMM
Broxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Broxer For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #12

shadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the world
Groans: 14
Groaned at 26 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
nice writeup, but why bother getting aftermarket manifold and sticking with the bnr instead of getting a true 2871?
Many people run an aftermarket exhaust mani on a stock turbo, so not seeing the issue there. I was going to explain the benefit of an aftermarket mani but I know you know this already, better efficiency, spool, yada yada.... What benefit would there be to running a true GT2871 over the stage 3 as I didn't think there was much.
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #13

atvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,000 Times in 6,143 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Subbed for results. GL with the rest of the install
11.321@129.93
atvfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atvfreek For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shadesofgray19 View Post
Many people run an aftermarket exhaust mani on a stock turbo, so not seeing the issue there. I was going to explain the benefit of an aftermarket mani but I know you know this already, better efficiency, spool, yada yada.... What benefit would there be to running a true GT2871 over the stage 3 as I didn't think there was much.
the garrett housings flow better. The ATP mazda housing isn't great but certainly flows better than stock.
 Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
the garrett housings flow better. The ATP mazda housing isn't great but certainly flows better than stock.
The option this is most compared to is an ATP 2871, and the only difference between the BNR and an ATP 2871 is the ATP is a ball bearing and the BNR is a journal. They both have .55AR hotsides. The BNR is more of a stock replacement in that compressor exit port is in the exact same location as on the ATP, and since it uses the stock hotside (machined) you can use the stock turbo brace to secure it.

Comparing it to a turbo with a larger EX housing is not really in this "class" of drop in turbos. You will need to fabricate all of your lines, and your only manifold option will be the steedspeed, which I am not a huge fan of. If you are going to do all that, you might as well get something bigger, which I was not really interested in. (when I go big it will be with an EFR sometime down the road)

The benefits of an aftermarket manifold are pretty well documented, and since you have to remove the manifold for this install anyway, it made alot of sense to do both at the same time.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
Chimmike (08-17-2011), cld12pk2go (09-24-2011), comcam77 (04-06-2013), JasonMzdSpd3 (04-08-2012), laxplayermjd (08-18-2011), Mistersix (06-02-2012), redboat (02-21-2013), rfinkle2 (10-21-2011), twowheelrides (08-28-2012), wolly6973 (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
Will fuck up ur day

Not Ranked  0 score     

Good reasoning all around!
:: Gusto :: likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimmike For This Useful Post:
Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

awesome!

What's your target boost you shooting for?

Zoom Zoom Boom part out.
 Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #18

shadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the worldshadesofgray19 is the leader of the world
Groans: 14
Groaned at 26 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

This should be sticky ickied.
tddvrrn (08-18-2011), wolly6973 (08-17-2011), Ziggo (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by zenger View Post
awesome!

What's your target boost you shooting for?
I will be designing in a boost "creep" curve from 20psi climbing to 22-23psi at redline.

I am doing this to keep the torque #s down while still maximizing HP. Ideally I don't want much more than 330Wtq as I am still on the stock injector seals, and I am not planning on messing with the intake manifold till next summer. If I do it right, I should be able to get a fat power curve from 4.5k and up.

Finishing early for today, gonna get cleaned up and grab some dinner. Gotta pick up new 14mm nuts for the manifold from the dealership, it cost me $11 for two of them, so I would be careful. I left the two easiest to access studs for these, so it should only take me 10min to get them on tomorrow before starting the ECBS install.
sloanek likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
rfinkle2 (10-21-2011), wolly6973 (08-17-2011)
 Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #20

Mistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the worldMistersix is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

How much psi is this turbo capable of and will there be any issue with the maf reading inaccurately?
 Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have not seen much documentation on how much this turbo is capable of, I expect it to flow 20psi to redline efficiently and will be testing it at higher boost levels. I saw a dyno plot at cobb plano of a stage 3 making 350whp, but there wasn't a boost plot with it.

The MAF will be interesting and could be what limits me. This turbo is going to take me to the edge of my current maf calibration curve which is at 340g/s at 4.75V. It may be that I have to richen up my AFR targets on the top end to stay safe if this thing starts to lean me out.

I will be load tuning it to avoid cold weather problems. So PSI will be variable based on the ambient temperature.

Last edited by Ziggo; 08-18-2011 at 11:58 AM.
redboat (10-22-2013), rfinkle2 (10-21-2011)
 Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why didn't I do this earlier? Its 105º outside and I just logged a 260g/s pull on spring pressure.

FUCK

THE

K04

seriously.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
AJ713 (09-27-2011), cld12pk2go (09-17-2011), JasonMzdSpd3 (04-08-2012), Pointless (11-19-2012), redboat (10-22-2013), rfinkle2 (10-21-2011), Rich990 (03-02-2013), wolly6973 (08-19-2011)
 Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Bryan told me this turbo is efficient close to 30 psi

Zoom Zoom Boom part out.
 Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It depends on the RPM. It could probably run 30psi from 3k rpm to 4.5k efficiently, but it will not be able to carry that to a 6700rpm redline on a 2.3L motor.

I am going to forgo writing the EGT install portion as it doesn't really belong here and will require quite a different toolset. I am considering this done, if anyone has any comments let me know. Its the first time I have done anything like this so I bet there are easier ways to do much of it.
wolly6973 (08-19-2011)
 Old 08-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
nothing to see here....

drknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the worlddrknyte is the leader of the world
Groans: 39
Groaned at 43 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Your avatar is fucking hilarious!!!!

60ft: 2.167
1/8: 9.052
1/4: 13.922 @ 100.37
(26psi tire pressure & stock tires)

CP-E CAI; CP-E Turbo Inlet Pipe; CP-E RMM; Engals ETD; TRZ TM; PG ExhMani; JBarone Shifter Weight, E4 Performance Shift Knob; Solid Shifter bushings; JBarone SSP

:
drknyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drknyte For This Useful Post:
tddvrrn (08-18-2011)
 Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #26

laxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the worldlaxplayermjd is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

awesome write up, ill be following this as my plan is similar
 Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #27

bmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,396 Posts
Groans: 31
Groaned at 36 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, wanted to say thanks for listing the tools necessary for manifold/downpipe removal. I was worried about that the most when I go BT.
 Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #28

BrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the worldBrianB6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 28
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks for the write up, looking good

2006 - MS6 - Dead RIP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BrianB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #29

Domino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the worldDomino81 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,904 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 73 Times in 36 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How did you get a hold of him? I tried emailing his website, he doesn't respond.

Anthony D. Christiano - Co-Owner at Inspiration Studios Photography
2008 CosmicBlue Mazdaspeed3
294whp/335wtq - Stock K04
370whp/370wtq - BNR stage 3

FreekTuned, BNR Stage 3, Cobb AccessPort, HTP tray and 3" intake, Devil's Own Meth Injection D10 Nozzle, 3-Bar Map & Plug & Play Connector, PTP Injector Seals & Studs, KritzSpeed 3-Port BCS, Sure Return, UR Downpipe, CorkSport Race Pipe, Magnaflow Cat-back, CP-E FMIC, TWM STS, TWM A6 Leopard Shift Knob, TWM Leather Shift Boot, AutoTech Fuel Pump Internals, JBR trinity, Forge Version 2 BPV, Koni Yellows, H&R's, Sonic Tuning ST100's 18x8.5 + 5/16" spacer (ET40), SPC camber arms, Cobb Rear Sway Bar, Nitto NT05 235/40/18 (front) BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 235/40/18 (rear), MSD DashHawk, 35% tint, Semi-debadged ...Unicorn Jizz
Domino81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #30

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
It depends on the RPM. It could probably run 30psi from 3k rpm to 4.5k efficiently, but it will not be able to carry that to a 6700rpm redline on a 2.3L motor.

I am going to forgo writing the EGT install portion as it doesn't really belong here and will require quite a different toolset. I am considering this done, if anyone has any comments let me know. Its the first time I have done anything like this so I bet there are easier ways to do much of it.
Just follow up with impressions and any tuning advice you uncover with this turbo setup. There's not a whole lot of info out there on this. I'm interested in a similar set up. I'm just curious if one can really take advantage of these turbos without having to change the MAF, intake piping, downpipe, etc.
 Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #31

Squid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant futureSquid has a brilliant future
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Really good how-to-guide! Thanks for sharing it all!

Old one...
True Red Mazda 3 MPS ´07:
HKS SRI | JBR SSP Stage II + Heavy knob | 3" Corksport TBE | US-spec Tails | US-spec Spoiler | Turbosmart Dual-Port BPV | JBR RMM | CP-e Gaugepod | ProSport Premium/Peak Boostgauge | RallyArmour Mudflaps | CP-e Towplate | Autotech FP-internals | JBR RSB | NGK Iridium IX-plugs
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #32

bova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the worldbova is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,490 Times in 876 Posts
Groans: 45
Groaned at 39 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

why put the tmic mounting bracket back on if you aren't using it?
bova is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
why put the tmic mounting bracket back on if you aren't using it?
There is an AC hardline that attaches that bracket also. I didn't have any reason that it couldn't go back on, so I just reused it.
Revolv0 (06-28-2015), rfinkle2 (10-21-2011)
 Old 08-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

First post updated with link to tuning thread.

As for my first impressions, this swap seems to have resulted in similar spool to stock, I cant really tell the difference except by examining logs and even then I am not sure they are comparable since my last log with the K04 took ~500R rpm from 3000 to spool to 20psi @ 70deg and the BNR took about the same to spool to 18.5psi @ 105deg

So as a whole spool is similar, but the top end is where the difference is. The BNR is holding 18.5psi to redline without breaking a sweat in 105deg ambients, where the K04 was falling off to 16.5psi @ 70deg.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ziggo For This Useful Post:
1sicms3 (09-06-2013), JasonMzdSpd3 (04-08-2012), rfinkle2 (10-21-2011), wolly6973 (08-20-2011)
 Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Trackday report\video

MSR Cresson 3.1 9/10&11/2011

The DNP manifold is no longer a sexy white, it discolored brown a bit, but it's still attached, no cracks, and the coating isn't flaking so I consider is a win.

Zigatapatalka
wolly6973 (09-12-2011)
 Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #36

bmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the worldbmylez is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,396 Posts
Groans: 31
Groaned at 36 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why racecar?

BECAUSE ZIGGO
 Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Manifold as described.

wolly6973 (09-12-2011)
 Old 09-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #38

Navy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

that sucks...but at least its not flaking off.
06 MS6 |SP Built motor - Weisco Pistons .020" over, Manley H-Beam Rods, Ported Head, Ported Intake, VTCS Delete, BS Delete, VVT Actuator, Keyed Crank, 6th Port Fuel Injection | ACT 6 Puck w/ Streetlite Flywheel | Bullseye S259 .70 A/R Single Scroll | 3.5" Intake/MAF Housing | Steedspeed Twin Scroll T3 Top Mount Manifold | Tubosmart 40mm EWG | Custom DP | Custom TBE | Custom LTA Intercooler | HKS Type IV TT | Dashhawk | COBB AP | AWR RMM | PTP HPFP Guts |

KILLAH BUILT
Navy_Mech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #39

Not Ranked  0 score     

Dyno numbers soon or satisfied?

Zoom Zoom Boom part out.
 Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #40

(Thread Starter)
Neutral  -1 score     

Not really satisfied, but undecided about the dyno. I am still going to be making big changes so I don't want to spend the $$ to really dial it in as is.

I need a new clutch, and at a minimum need to install my 3bar map, and injector seals before dialing in my tune. I would like to also get a meth injection system installed, a new intake manifold and clean up my valves before I really try to max out the performance.

Zigatapatalka

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f498/bnr-s3-swap-how-88946/
Posted By For Type Date
Turbolader ausbauen / tauschen This thread Refback 06-09-2015 12:25 PM
Eine Frage an die Turbo Spezialisten - leichtes Pfeifen unter Last This thread Refback 12-31-2014 04:56 AM
TURBO Ein-Ausbau, Tips bzw. Anleitung This thread Refback 10-21-2014 02:11 PM
Turbolader defekt - Seite 2 This thread Refback 07-23-2014 03:20 AM
How do I remove the oil drain from a KO4 turbo ? - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 06-02-2014 04:35 PM
Turboaufladung - [ALLE] BNR Turbo Upgrades This thread Refback 07-08-2013 11:01 AM
Bnr s3 upgrade help This thread Pingback 06-25-2013 12:36 AM
Whats New/General Speed 6 Discussion - Page 236 This thread Refback 06-08-2013 05:23 PM
Beaner time! - Page 15 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 05-10-2013 04:37 PM
BNR Stage 3 Turbo Upgrade - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 02-24-2013 05:04 PM
Turboaufladung - [ALLE] BNR Turbo Upgrades - Seite 5 This thread Refback 02-20-2013 03:00 AM
Beaner time! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Refback 01-26-2013 08:23 PM
mikey32235 everything is broken - Page 11 This thread Refback 12-01-2012 07:42 AM
• View topic - KO4E Turbo Upgrade This thread Refback 11-28-2012 11:27 PM
[ALLE] BNR Turbo Upgrades - Seite 5 - Turboaufladung - mazda-mps.de This thread Refback 11-13-2012 10:41 PM
[ALLE] BNR Turbo Upgrades - Turboaufladung - mazda-mps.de This thread Refback 11-03-2012 11:53 AM
BNR Stage 3 Turbo Upgrade - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum This thread Pingback 10-12-2012 10:04 AM
INTERCEPTOR EVOLUTION!!! This thread Refback 11-24-2011 02:15 PM