register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Driver

Fobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,618 Times in 928 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Question BT intake options

I've been jacking dustin's thread...sorry bro.

So now with a BT on my shelf, I'm looking into options...top mount turbo relocation sounds cool and all, but the thought of flipping the turbo around and likely needing new lines, custom dp and intake/inlet is a bit daunting, but I'm still weighing my options...

I've been looking around at different intakes/inlet combo...they are a couple I'm considering, namely from CP-e and ATP...

My first question is:

Looking at ATP:

and here's CP-e's, which comes with a filter to vent the VC:

It looks like neither one of this is plumbed for the PCV vac line to return to it like say, my Cobb SRI does:

I'm also wondering about velocity stack and straightener as well...the CP-e one has it "built-in" but I can't picture it, and I also like to have an extra filter around to prevent downtime...if I go with the ATP kit or DIY, should I also vent the VC? I'd prefer to plumb it back, for the sake of easier tuning?
DONE . Cobb AP 22-psi Self-Tuned . ATP GT3071 . CP-e 3.25" MAF+4" inlet . Denso ITV-24 . CP-e HPFP . CP-e FMIC . Turbosmart Ultimate BPV . 50/50 Meth w/ M5 nozzle . PTP IM Spacer+EGR delete . GrimmSpeed EBCS 3-port . SteedSpeed Mani . CP-e TBE . Greddy OCC w/ 2nd PCV valve . F2 BSD + oil-pan baffle . Hawk HP+ pads . Goodridge SS brake lines w/ Ford Super Dot 4 . Cobb Springs+FSB . Tri-Point RSB+Endlinks . Koni Yellows . KMAC Camber Plates . 60mm Boost Gauge . TWM Complete Shifter w/ JBR SSP+weight . CP-e RMM+PTP trans+kicker mount . Sparco Harness Bar w/ MOMO 4-pt harness . Rays/Volks 57F 18x8.5" +45mm 235/40/18 Hankook V12 . BBS RK 17x8" +45mm 235/45/17 RA1/R6 . OEM Snowflakes w/ 215/50/17 Nitto NT-SN1 . 3rd in CSCS 2009 Time Attack Championship - Super Street FWD . 360whp/390wtrq . SOON . 3-bar MAP sensor .
MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is ALWAYS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down."
-- Mario Andretti --
Fobio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-16-2010)
 Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,341 Times in 6,955 Posts
Groans: 13
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Venting the VC versus plumbing won't really change your tuning. It's meant to pull vacuum from your VC (relieve crankcase pressure) under boost and it is an emissions requirement why it is plumbed back into the intake versus just vented.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-16-2010), Fobio (07-16-2010)
 Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Driver

Fobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the worldFobio is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Venting the VC versus plumbing won't really change your tuning. It's meant to pull vacuum from your VC (relieve crankcase pressure) under boost and it is an emissions requirement why it is plumbed back into the intake versus just vented.
yeah, I always thought venting the VC is illegal...those enviro tickets are like $600....
DONE . Cobb AP 22-psi Self-Tuned . ATP GT3071 . CP-e 3.25" MAF+4" inlet . Denso ITV-24 . CP-e HPFP . CP-e FMIC . Turbosmart Ultimate BPV . 50/50 Meth w/ M5 nozzle . PTP IM Spacer+EGR delete . GrimmSpeed EBCS 3-port . SteedSpeed Mani . CP-e TBE . Greddy OCC w/ 2nd PCV valve . F2 BSD + oil-pan baffle . Hawk HP+ pads . Goodridge SS brake lines w/ Ford Super Dot 4 . Cobb Springs+FSB . Tri-Point RSB+Endlinks . Koni Yellows . KMAC Camber Plates . 60mm Boost Gauge . TWM Complete Shifter w/ JBR SSP+weight . CP-e RMM+PTP trans+kicker mount . Sparco Harness Bar w/ MOMO 4-pt harness . Rays/Volks 57F 18x8.5" +45mm 235/40/18 Hankook V12 . BBS RK 17x8" +45mm 235/45/17 RA1/R6 . OEM Snowflakes w/ 215/50/17 Nitto NT-SN1 . 3rd in CSCS 2009 Time Attack Championship - Super Street FWD . 360whp/390wtrq . SOON . 3-bar MAP sensor .

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down."
-- Mario Andretti --
 Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Lex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the worldLex is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

What turbo did you get?
 Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Driver

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

What turbo did you get?
the ATP 3071R kit...

-- Mario Andretti --
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-16-2010), Lex (07-16-2010)
 Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking forward to how this one turns out
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lex For This Useful Post:
 Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Lex
Engineered Tuning

Not Ranked  0 score     

Why not just replace the inlet and keep the SRI MAF housing and filter?

Doesn't CPE sell a BT inlet? You can always make your own with some silicone couplers

EDIT: DOH, I realize you want a top mounted setup. Nevermind then ... just buy a MAF housing and make your own intake using silicone couplers.
 Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Driver

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Why not just replace the inlet and keep the SRI MAF housing and filter?

Doesn't CPE sell a BT inlet? You can always make your own with some silicone couplers

EDIT: DOH, I realize you want a top mounted setup. Nevermind then ... just buy a MAF housing and make your own intake using silicone couplers.
I'm considering the top mount option, and have looked at the CP-e inlet, along with the ATP inlet...both options are good if I stick with stock location, which is where I'm leaning now...

but yeah, if I go top mount, I'll have to buy some parts and have them welded...

also, the MAF housing for the Cobb SRI is not true 3" ID...it's been measured to be 2.6x - 2.75"?

-- Mario Andretti --
 Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Driver

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

thanks to spnkr21:

Top mount turbo setups

Originally Posted by spnkr21 View Post
Don't worry about the intake-valve cover line. If you run a huge intake then there is no vacuum so that line is pointless after you rip off stock intake. Just vent it.

-- Mario Andretti --
 Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
NEC

subparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the worldsubparpunk03 is the leader of the world
Groans: 14
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

FYI Socks had his valve cover vented and the car ran like crap until he plumbed it back. I forget exactly what the reasoning is there, something like at idle or low loads it becomes a vacuum leak and pulls air in through the crankcase or something, as opposed to pulling in air that has already been read from the MAF.
2005 Corolla XRS: *sold*
subparpunk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to subparpunk03 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-16-2010), Fobio (07-16-2010), xcoldricex (07-16-2010)
 Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,246 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am currently running the CPE BT inlet and an Injen CAI cut off in SRI mode. G/s went up by 40 w the GT28 upgrade. I may look into a 3" MAF as well. The Injen is 2.75 IIRC

Does it really make that much difference??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #12

BoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond reputeBoostedBlack6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 7
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you can find a subaru 3" maf housing those will work as well. FYI
2006 Black Mica MS6: Cobb AP, Stage 2 v105 93, MSD Dashhawk, Speedie6 TIP, CPe Nano SRI, HKS SSQV, Custom FMIC, Custom 3" Single Exhaust w/ Dynomax Race Muffler, H&R Sport Springs, SPC Adjustable Balljoints, TWM Stage 2 Short Shifter w/ SU bushings, 18" Drag DR-34s
BoostedBlack6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Driver

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks like I'm the only one active in both posts...lol...

Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
Is this the 3" Subie DENSO MAF housing from ATP that we can use to build our intake?

3" MAF Housing - Billet Aluminum-for DENSO Element : atpturbo.com

-- Mario Andretti --
The Following User Says Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-16-2010)
 Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #14

-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world-cj- is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The top mount is tempting, don't get me wrong, but I wish I could have just slapped on an ATP turbo and just gotten things running. Messing with the lines and ensuring everything matches up is a PITA. And in my case, I'm using the stock location, just not using a bolt on kit........ I think it's more trouble then it's worth if you don't plan on pulling your turbo after it's setup.
Mod List: ATP 3071R @ 22 psi, Grimspeed in 3-port mode, Steedspeed Manifold, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit, Cobb AP, CP-E 3" Nano SRI, CP-E Big Inlet TIP, Cobb "Stage 2" Suspension Kit, CP-E FMIC, CP-E DP, CP-E HPFP, CP-E MM, TWM STS, Custom Tuned by Fobio.
-cj- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -cj- For This Useful Post:
Fobio (07-16-2010)
 Old 07-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #15

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,632 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

All you really need is a long 45 degree coupler a short length of 3.5" or 4" piping and your MAF housing. Any decent welder should be able to weld on a small fitting so you can reconnect the valve cover port.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
 Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Driver

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
All you really need is a long 45 degree coupler a short length of 3.5" or 4" piping and your MAF housing. Any decent welder should be able to weld on a small fitting so you can reconnect the valve cover port.
any need for an air straightener/velocity stack when going big?

-- Mario Andretti --
 Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #17

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,632 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
any need for an air straightener/velocity stack when going big?
As long as there are no bends immediately before or after the MAF housing you shouldn't have any issues..
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
 Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #18

madvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the worldmadvillain is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,992 Times in 1,708 Posts
Groans: 78
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I will post pictures of my last 3" intake I made, which will soon be for sale. I will also post what I'm using for my new one once I get everything.
[Precision 5557 T4 flanged Journal Bearing Turbo][Race Roots Ceramic Coated T4 Manifold][Race Roots 3" V-Band Catless Downpipe][Race Roots Under-Car FMIC kit][CXracing 18"x31"x3" IC Core][Tial 44mm EWG With 0.9Bar Spring][Cobb AP][Full Str33tunit Mount Set][Madvillain 4" Inlet/Intake][Cp-e xcelXL Maf Housing][Devilsown Meth Injection Kit][HKS Ignition Amplifier][Cp-e Catback Exhaust][HKS bov][PTP IM Spacer][Whoosh EGR Delete][AEM Digital Boost Gauge][Matt Damond OCC Kit][Trunk Mounted Optima Battery with KnuKonceptz Kit][Madvillain ECU box][TWM Short Shifter][BC Coilovers][Cobb Rear Sway Bar][Falken Azenis rt615's][Eibach Pro 25mm Spacers]
madvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madvillain For This Useful Post:
Fobio (07-16-2010)
 Old 07-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #19

bcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the worldbcmurphy87 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,412 Times in 532 Posts
Groans: 15
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Im following this because im looking to replace CAI. i also have the 3071 but im not going top mounted
bcmurphy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcmurphy87 For This Useful Post:
 Old 07-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
Driver

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Dano2010 View Post
I am currently running the CPE BT inlet and an Injen CAI cut off in SRI mode. G/s went up by 40 w the GT28 upgrade. I may look into a 3" MAF as well. The Injen is 2.75 IIRC

Does it really make that much difference??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say that it'd make enough of dif that if you don't do it now, you'll end up doing it down the road anyway.

-- Mario Andretti --
 Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #21

spnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,369 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 79 Times in 66 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by subparpunk03 View Post
FYI Socks had his valve cover vented and the car ran like crap until he plumbed it back. I forget exactly what the reasoning is there, something like at idle or low loads it becomes a vacuum leak and pulls air in through the crankcase or something, as opposed to pulling in air that has already been read from the MAF.
You're right, you are pulling in unmetered air through the Pcv but it's not enough to throw your fuel trims off too much. My car doesn't act funny, couple after-fires now and then, but overall it's good.

You certainly can hook it up, but it isn't needed so don't sweat it.
djuosnteisn (07-16-2010)
 Old 12-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #22

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

oups just seen it is a 3 years old thread

2007 speed3 71R
1993 Ford Probe KLZE
2006 Mazda3 Gs for winter
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

...Because French Canadian...
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #23

Code Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the worldCode Monkey is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,696 Times in 3,816 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 32 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

LOL

2000 E39 M5

2001 MR2 2ZZ

2017 Subaru BRZ
Code Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote