register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree63Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 08-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #241

broda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the worldbroda is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Cheapspeed View Post
So figured it wouldn't be hard to swap out. Vband bolt and nut were seized but loose, and I realized I must've put it on when the downpipe was loose or off. Burned through 2 bandsaw blades trying to cut a 3/16" Allen key and failed. If it was just a little shorter I'd fit it up beside the DP. But as I was thinking about it in my despair lying there on the ground for what seemed like forever, I don't think I'd be able to tighten it once the dump pipe was on and in the way.

These cars are fun to mod. But not to maintain once modded.
Trying to mess with the EWG while the downpipe is on is the biggest pain in the ass ever. I had to mess with it twice in about a week timespan and it took me so much longer than I was anticipating.
broda is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #242

redneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,273 Times in 702 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright, so I decided not to tackle this this weekend because I don't have any spare studs/nuts on hand and I didn't want to be stuck waiting on parts after I loosen the downpipe.
I think Aaron has some he is trying to sell on the local FB. You might hit him up?

Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
Sorry I couldn't make it out, I ran out of makeup so I didn't leave the house.
redneck4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-08-2016, 05:28 AM   #243
160k stock block

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,414 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by redneck4Christ View Post
I think Aaron has some he is trying to sell on the local FB. You might hit him up?
Damn, too late just dropped $20 on edgeautosport.
3.5'' HTP + GFB BPV + CP-E TMIC + UR Catted DP + UR Resonated TP + JBR TMM/RMM + 51r Battery Tray + TWM Full Replacement + Autotechs + 3bar Map + Stratified EBCS + AP V3
Cheapspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheapspeed For This Useful Post:
redneck4Christ (08-08-2016)
 Old 08-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #244
160k stock block

Cheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the worldCheapspeed is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good news! Did NOT have to take the DP off! I had an epiphany after I bought some tools from sears. Got under and put a 3/16", 1/4" bit in the hex bolt that was facing the DP, then got a tiny 1/4" wrench I just bought and then put a tiny 5/16" wrench on the nut and they came right off.

Decided not to wrap the dump tube this time because I have a theory it came undone last time and wrapped around the axel. I might get it ceramic coated at a later.

I also flipped the bolt and nut around to make it easier next time.

Bit ratchets are awesome.

3.5'' HTP + GFB BPV + CP-E TMIC + UR Catted DP + UR Resonated TP + JBR TMM/RMM + 51r Battery Tray + TWM Full Replacement + Autotechs + 3bar Map + Stratified EBCS + AP V3

Last edited by Cheapspeed; 08-13-2016 at 11:16 AM.
redneck4Christ (08-13-2016)
 Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #245
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think I've narrowed it down to a spun bearing. Probably got oil starved as it's been consuming oil like crazy lately. Gunned it on an on-ramp and when I let off I heard a loud knocking. Didn't feel any vibration in the peddle. When it idles, it sounds find, but when I rev the engine a little the knocking comes back.
 Old 12-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #246

MD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,842 Times in 986 Posts
Groans: 125
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you're consuming a lot of oil, it's very likely rings, ringlands, bores out of round, something of that nature. I would say probably ringlands based on the huge turbo you're running. I agree that additionally it sounds like you might have a rod bearing starting to go out. Time to get another engine lined up ASAP. Don't blow up your core.
Cheapspeed likes this.

MD1032 is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #247
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post
If you're consuming a lot of oil, it's very likely rings, ringlands, bores out of round, something of that nature. I would say probably ringlands based on the huge turbo you're running. I agree that additionally it sounds like you might have a rod bearing starting to go out. Time to get another engine lined up ASAP. Don't blow up your core.
Car is parked. Considering options now. FWD is the biggest negative on this car so I'm undecided on the build.
 Old 12-23-2016, 06:12 AM   #248

MD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the worldMD1032 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you really hate FWD that much, put a stock motor and a K04 in it, part out, and sell. Or you can just put another stock motor in it and dial back the power to keep the stock motor happy. Or you can trade your Garrett for something smaller. Many options here without going for some stupid expensive build. I don't know why so many people on this forum have it set in their minds that blowing a stock engine means they have to bankrupt themselves buying a built motor that has a 50% chance of taking a shit within 50k miles.
redneck4Christ and Cheapspeed like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MD1032 For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (12-23-2016)
 Old 12-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #249

everton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If you really hate FWD that much, put a stock motor and a K04 in it, part out, and sell. Or you can just put another stock motor in it and dial back the power to keep the stock motor happy. Or you can trade your Garrett for something smaller. Many options here without going for some stupid expensive build. I don't know why so many people on this forum have it set in their minds that blowing a stock engine means they have to bankrupt themselves buying a built motor that has a 50% chance of taking a shit within 50k miles.

I agree. When I blew my engine I thought I'd build one, but seeing as how it's going to be 15K easy, I really can't bring myself to do it. I still owe 16K on the car and can't justify spending just as much to put into the car. I'd considered doing something mild like just some better rods and 4032 pistons, but even then I couldn't justify it. My engine blew because I didn't fix a problem I knew about. Lesson learned the expensive way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
everton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #250

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,048 Posts
Groans: 87
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

FWD FTW!
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #251

impossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the world
Groans: 30
Groaned at 58 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I love my FWD from a roll lmao
GO: GTX2867R + Cp-e LTR Manifold + TiAL 44mm MVR EWG + Kozmic Dump Tube VTA'd / HTP 3.5" Intake / Cobb AP V2 / AT HPFP Internals / Treadstone TR8 FMIC / NGK Iridiums / Stratified EBCS / Bosch 3Bar MAP / M2 Catless 3" DP + HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
/ JBR 88a RMM, 80a PMM / TiAL QR BOV / Kozmic Primary EGR Delete + Kozmic Oil Feed & Return Lines
SHOW: Big TWM Type R knob / JBR Camber Arms / BC Racing BR Type Coilovers / MB Battles w/ 265/35/18 RS-R Meats / Stoptech Slotted Rotors & Hawk HPS Pads + SS Brake lines / Eonon D5151 Head Unit /
Cp-e Triple Gauge Pod / DG Motorsports CF Wing Extension
Tuned by Captain KR @ PD Tuning

2016 Current Setup: Cobb AP V3 / AT HPFP / TR8 FMIC / Coolant Bypass / lil JBR SRI & TIP / DM & JBR Trilogy Mounts / Stratified EBCS / M2 DP / NGK Iridium Plugs / GFB Respons BPV / DM EGR Delete / Kozmic Oil Feed / Pu Valve Cover + SP63 Breather + big K&N Vent filter / RP PCV Plate vented to Kozmic Catch Can / Whiteline 27mm RSB + Moog Endlinks / BSD & Baffle / Gino PNP Intake Mani + SURE TIGs + Corksport 3.5bar MAP & BeCuse Seals / Eonon GA5151F Android Head Unit / 2008+ RX8 Y-spoke wheels / Tuning in progress with 2.0t03speed (Ryan) @ PD Tuning
Parts to Install as of December 2016: FJ Turbo Kit w/ Underrouted hot pipe, T3 BW S360SX 60mm, TiAL MVR 44mm EWG VTA'd, JMF V1 Intake Manifold, Ramfab 4" Intake, Kozmic 6th Port Kit w/ 2200cc Injectors & Upgraded ITFP, Greddy Ti-C catback (Ricer rare special), ACT HD 6-Puck + Gen2 Transmission, TR1035 FMIC
impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #252
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've been commuting a very short distance lately so I haven't been able to take advantage of the top end power it made. Commuting on the highway is where it shined and I really loved driving it then.
 Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #253

kevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the worldkevdog is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Cheapspeed likes this.
 Old 12-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #254
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
I do love driving a sleeper with an external wastegate. Won't get the same satisfaction driving typical sports cars.
 Old 12-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #255

redneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the worldredneck4Christ is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,273 Times in 702 Posts
Groans: 23
Not Ranked  0 score     

Parts for a 2007 Mazda CX7 w/ 2.3L turbo
2007 MAZDA CX7 - FOR PARTS
2007 MAZDA CX7

Possible donor engines?
CX7-turbo with a good engines.
Not mine

Oooorrr
89 mazda 323 awd turbo
turbo awd 323
Cheapspeed likes this.

Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
Sorry I couldn't make it out, I ran out of makeup so I didn't leave the house.
redneck4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redneck4Christ For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (12-27-2016)
 Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #256
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@mituc; @impossible; @MD1032; @Ziggo; @sheston; So here is my first estimate on a build from Kozmic in Houston, TX.

Please pick apart or tag anybody that can help.

H Squared Stage 3 Short block 3359.00
-Wiseco Piston coated tops and skirts
-Clevite bearings coated
-ARP mainstuds
-K1 rods
BSD Delete, Baffle (necessary?)
VVT (can mine be reused?)

Bunch of other stuff like gasket kit, oil pump, etc.

Their grand total was $8600 installed.

If I'm not sticking with a stock block I really don't feel the need to make over 500whp. Whatever the GTX3076 and 5th port can get me would be okay with me.

Last edited by Cheapspeed; 01-05-2017 at 09:12 PM.
 Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #257

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,930 Times in 999 Posts
Groans: 64
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@WetzMS3; may be an option for you. He's a good guy, and knows what he's doing.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC, cat-back. HTP: 3.5" intake. JBR: shortshifter, trans mount 70a Duro. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM. Corksport: battery box, 3.5 MAP, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop.

Soon:built motor BNR s4
Djohns is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #258
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Djohns View Post
@WetzMS3; may be an option for you. He's a good guy, and knows what he's doing.
There was a guy out of San Antonio that builds motors, but said he doesn't usually install them. Not doubting anybody's abilities but I'm really not interested in installing myself because I'm just not that cool and want to get this car rolling again by the end of this year, hopefully sooner so it doesn't start to rust in the driveway.
 Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #259

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

If I'm not sticking with a stock block I really don't feel the need to make over 500whp. Whatever the GTX3076 and 5th port can get me would be okay with me.
5th port will probably top out at around that figure depending on the fuel you're using, the only thing I'm not sure about is deleting the BS on an otherwise pristine engine.
Other than that, given the fact that you're getting a complete engine the price sounds about right.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following User Says Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (01-05-2017)
 Old 01-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #260

Not Ranked  0 score     

@mituc; @impossible; @MD1032; @Ziggo; @sheston; So here is my first estimate on a build from Kozmic in Houston, TX.

Please pick apart or tag anybody that can help.

H Squared Stage 3 Short block 3359.00
-Wiseco Piston coated tops and skirts
-Clevite bearings coated
-ARP mainstuds
-K1 rods
BSD Delete, Baffle (necessary?)
VVT (can mine be reused?)

Bunch of other stuff like gasket kit, oil pump, etc.

Their grand total was $8600 installed.

New OEM VVT is the way to go. $8600 is pretty steep, especially for a build utilizing K1 rods. I would use a different rod than that. Does that price include a core charge or something?

I would suggest OEM main studs, head gasket, for your goals, over the ARP, since you will be <500 whp.

Keep the balance shafts. Your engine will vibrate much less. Just make sure the installation is done properly.

Get a quote from Wetz and EBtec as well. Really I don't like that build list honestly. It doesn't even say which wiseco pistons they're using and I haven't seen any recently that have coated tops, so they might be something custom and overpriced.

The Following User Says Thank You to MD1032 For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (01-06-2017)
 Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #261
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

New OEM VVT is the way to go. $8600 is pretty steep, especially for a build utilizing K1 rods. I would use a different rod than that. Does that price include a core charge or something?

I would suggest OEM main studs, head gasket, for your goals, over the ARP, since you will be <500 whp.

Keep the balance shafts. Your engine will vibrate much less. Just make sure the installation is done properly.

Get a quote from Wetz and EBtec as well. Really I don't like that build list honestly. It doesn't even say which wiseco pistons they're using and I haven't seen any recently that have coated tops, so they might be something custom and overpriced.
I'm trying to avoid being overbuilt. Eb-tec was beginning a quote for a 600hp build but I'm really not interested in that. Maybe there's just no money in low HP builds like what I have in my mind.
 Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #262

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm trying to avoid being overbuilt. Eb-tec was beginning a quote for a 600hp build but I'm really not interested in that. Maybe there's just no money in low HP builds like what I have in my mind.
The moment you put in good rods and pistons, your short block will be able to handle at least 500HP but usually 600-700.
On the other hand for a daily driven car it doesn't make sense to have huge turbos with complicated injection systems and an overall complicated setup which requires hard to get fuel mixes, which will eventually result in a build around 450-550hp (because of the manifolds, turbos, fuelling system(s), and so on). But the short block itself will hold quite a lot of power.

So instead of spending $300 on a set of K1s spend $50-60 more on a set of Manley. Same for the pistons, choose wise depending on how you're going to use the car. If it's a daily you should seriously consider a 4032 piston, even if quite a lot of builds using various breeds of 2618 allow pistons do perfectly well with 0 piston slap in cold weather, awesome compression despite the high number of miles, and so on. Usually the 4032 pistons have like 80-90% of the strength of a 2618 piston. So instead of 650-700 you will have to stop at like 600 which is already like 150hp over the "more than enough for a daily driven FWD car" mark.

Later edit: for the head studs don't go cheap/affordable. Go straight for either the L19 or better the CA625+.
torquemaniac and Cheapspeed like this.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (01-06-2017), DingoDave (01-08-2017), MD1032 (01-06-2017)
 Old 01-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #263

WetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the worldWetzMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,127 Times in 3,585 Posts
Groans: 427
Groaned at 248 Times in 84 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OEM head bolts will handle 500whp just fine.

SLUNTWORKS SPEEDSHOP
WetzMS3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WetzMS3 For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (01-06-2017), Djohns (01-06-2017), impossible (01-07-2017), MD1032 (01-06-2017), MS3Shadow (01-06-2017), torquemaniac (Yesterday)
 Old 01-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #264

shaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the worldshaneski is the leader of the world
Groaned at 21 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'd go with the Manley pistons, they have some long skirts and beefy ring lands, i have had them in mine for near 2 years and 30,000 miles, daily driven with lot's of short trips and there is zero slap.
Gen 2 2012 - ATP GTX3076r IWG - Full Race exhaust mani - 2NV Industries built Forged bottom end - PNP Head - JMF Intake Mani- UR Turbo Back - JBR tru 3.5 intake - TR8 FMIC - Devils own stage 2 WM - Cobb 3 port EBC- Autotech internals - FREEKTUNED.
shaneski is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #265

impossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the worldimpossible is the leader of the world
Groans: 30
Groaned at 58 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Buddy of mine recommended this shop in El Paso, TX who builds Speeds and all kinds of other shit. As you can see his page photo is a MS3 with DISI block. I definitely recommend Manley H Beam and Manley Platinum Series pistons over the other combo Kozmic recommended. I'm currently in the process of pulling my motor but will be having Broken Wrench or my buddy Gino do it (who's built a few DISI's with success and is extremely detailed) since they are atleast in Texas and I can save on shipping etc.
https://www.facebook.com/BrokenWrenc...=br_tf&qsefr=1
Cheapspeed likes this.
GO: GTX2867R + Cp-e LTR Manifold + TiAL 44mm MVR EWG + Kozmic Dump Tube VTA'd / HTP 3.5" Intake / Cobb AP V2 / AT HPFP Internals / Treadstone TR8 FMIC / NGK Iridiums / Stratified EBCS / Bosch 3Bar MAP / M2 Catless 3" DP + HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
/ JBR 88a RMM, 80a PMM / TiAL QR BOV / Kozmic Primary EGR Delete + Kozmic Oil Feed & Return Lines
SHOW: Big TWM Type R knob / JBR Camber Arms / BC Racing BR Type Coilovers / MB Battles w/ 265/35/18 RS-R Meats / Stoptech Slotted Rotors & Hawk HPS Pads + SS Brake lines / Eonon D5151 Head Unit /
Cp-e Triple Gauge Pod / DG Motorsports CF Wing Extension
Tuned by Captain KR @ PD Tuning

2016 Current Setup: Cobb AP V3 / AT HPFP / TR8 FMIC / Coolant Bypass / lil JBR SRI & TIP / DM & JBR Trilogy Mounts / Stratified EBCS / M2 DP / NGK Iridium Plugs / GFB Respons BPV / DM EGR Delete / Kozmic Oil Feed / Pu Valve Cover + SP63 Breather + big K&N Vent filter / RP PCV Plate vented to Kozmic Catch Can / Whiteline 27mm RSB + Moog Endlinks / BSD & Baffle / Gino PNP Intake Mani + SURE TIGs + Corksport 3.5bar MAP & BeCuse Seals / Eonon GA5151F Android Head Unit / 2008+ RX8 Y-spoke wheels / Tuning in progress with 2.0t03speed (Ryan) @ PD Tuning
Parts to Install as of December 2016: FJ Turbo Kit w/ Underrouted hot pipe, T3 BW S360SX 60mm, TiAL MVR 44mm EWG VTA'd, JMF V1 Intake Manifold, Ramfab 4" Intake, Kozmic 6th Port Kit w/ 2200cc Injectors & Upgraded ITFP, Greddy Ti-C catback (Ricer rare special), ACT HD 6-Puck + Gen2 Transmission, TR1035 FMIC
impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to impossible For This Useful Post:
Cheapspeed (01-08-2017)
 Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #266
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by impossible View Post
Buddy of mine recommended this shop in El Paso, TX who builds Speeds and all kinds of other shit. As you can see his page photo is a MS3 with DISI block. I definitely recommend Manley H Beam and Manley Platinum Series pistons over the other combo Kozmic recommended. I'm currently in the process of pulling my motor but will be having Broken Wrench or my buddy Gino do it (who's built a few DISI's with success and is extremely detailed) since they are atleast in Texas and I can save on shipping etc.
https://www.facebook.com/BrokenWrenc...=br_tf&qsefr=1
Sucks there ain't a reputable builder here in Dallas area, I'll keep them in mind. I'm a little hesitant about kozmic based off their initial quote, but I'm sent them your suggestions.
impossible (01-09-2017)
 Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #267
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright so this is starting to drive me mad.

I came to the conclusion that I was going to just put in a remanned long block from edge since I've been overall happy with the performance the stock motor can achieve, and figured I could save a little money for things that could help the new motor last longer, PVC plate/vented catch can, meth injection for cooling and cleaning intake valves, 5th port, and a guardian angel.

Then somebody here told me the edge motors are from gearhead engines. Then I read that they don't exactly have a stellar track record. So just as I was lining up an installer I'm stuck again on what makes the most sense (besides just parting out and scrapping the car altogether). I don't want to spend nearly as much money on an otherwise stock motor and it end up being a dud. Anybody know of anyone that has installed the edge motor with good results?
@EdgeAutosport.com;
 Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #268

El Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,051 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Alright so this is starting to drive me mad.

I came to the conclusion that I was going to just put in a remanned long block from edge since I've been overall happy with the performance the stock motor can achieve, and figured I could save a little money for things that could help the new motor last longer, PVC plate/vented catch can, meth injection for cooling and cleaning intake valves, 5th port, and a guardian angel.

Then somebody here told me the edge motors are from gearhead engines. Then I read that they don't exactly have a stellar track record. So just as I was lining up an installer I'm stuck again on what makes the most sense (besides just parting out and scrapping the car altogether). I don't want to spend nearly as much money on an otherwise stock motor and it end up being a dud. Anybody know of anyone that has installed the edge motor with good results?
@EdgeAutosport.com;
Find out where @Sumosub; gets his motors from. I think he has done a couple of swaps

Styling Mods: Kevdog Tow Plate ~ RX-8 Wheels ~ LED interior lights ~ LED Fog Lights ~ LED Bumper Reflector ~ Corksport Battery Box ~ Corksport Mud Flaps ~ Maisonvi Knob ~ Blackvue Dr550gw-2ch ~ Passport 9500ix

Freektuned on Maize
El Beaner is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #269
160k stock block

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by El Beaner View Post
Find out where @Sumosub; gets his motors from. I think he has done a couple of swaps
If he's done a "couple" I don't think I care to know because I'm pretty positive they were stock motors.
 Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #270

El Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the worldEl Beaner is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,051 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If he's done a "couple" I don't think I care to know because I'm pretty positive they were stock motors.
They were stock but you could always see the cost and if reasonable, pick one up to build while you still gingerly drive your speed(if it's still drivable)

Otherwise, Ben Williams might have a short or long block you could pick up to start your build and then once ready you could just sell your current one to someone else

Styling Mods: Kevdog Tow Plate ~ RX-8 Wheels ~ LED interior lights ~ LED Fog Lights ~ LED Bumper Reflector ~ Corksport Battery Box ~ Corksport Mud Flaps ~ Maisonvi Knob ~ Blackvue Dr550gw-2ch ~ Passport 9500ix

Freektuned on Maize
El Beaner is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #271

everton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the worldeverton99 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by El Beaner View Post
They were stock but you could always see the cost and if reasonable, pick one up to build while you still gingerly drive your speed(if it's still drivable)

Otherwise, Ben Williams might have a short or long block you could pick up to start your build and then once ready you could just sell your current one to someone else

I'm looking at Speed6s still. If I find a cheap enough one I'll just get it and make it my DD until I decide what I want to do with my 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
everton99 is offline   Reply With Quote