register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds MazdaSpeed 3/6 - Big Turbo Builds. All discussions about big turbos, hybrids and builds belong here.

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree7Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

Navy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Navy's BT Build

Well i suppose its time to get this thread rollin. Only 3 more days left on deployment then a week of leave in June to get everything swapped in so its time to start orderin parts. Parts list is as follows:

BW s200- T3 T/S w/ 59mm comp wheel
Steedspeed top mount mani w/ 40mm w/g
AutoTech PF guts
Turbosmart 40mm w/g
PTP high press. relief valve
Grimspeed EBCS
SU intake spacer
Injector Seals
and...........
LTA intercooler setup. I plan on going blow thru with this setup as well similar to what Blue Streak was running. Hopefully i can get the maf not to spaz out with it on the cold pipe. Also gonna be getting atp's top mount hardware kit or whatever they call it along with some v-bands so i can re-do my exhaust set up since right now everything is welded up without any flanges and i need to re-do the Y junction at the rear axle. If i have time im gonna install the SURE rear diff mount while the exhaust is out. if not ill just get around to it. And also if i have time im gonna clean the valves while the mani is off since its been 67k without a catch can. I can only imagine what those are gonna look like...Only thing else i can think of is getting with DJ about setting up a base tune to get the damn thing started. I probably forgot a whole bunch of shit but im typing this at work and i have an excel file on my laptop with all the shit listed on that. Wish me luck!
06 MS6 |SP Built motor - Weisco Pistons .020" over, Manley H-Beam Rods, Ported Head, Ported Intake, VTCS Delete, BS Delete, VVT Actuator, Keyed Crank, 6th Port Fuel Injection | ACT 6 Puck w/ Streetlite Flywheel | Bullseye S259 .70 A/R Single Scroll | 3.5" Intake/MAF Housing | Steedspeed Twin Scroll T3 Top Mount Manifold | Tubosmart 40mm EWG | Custom DP | Custom TBE | Custom LTA Intercooler | HKS Type IV TT | Dashhawk | COBB AP | AWR RMM | PTP HPFP Guts |

KILLAH BUILT

Last edited by Navy_Mech2; 06-12-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Navy_Mech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
86AmishMs3 (05-24-2012), atvfreek (06-05-2012), crazyp (05-24-2012), djuosnteisn (12-31-2012), Fail_6 (06-05-2012), h0ckeyman (01-06-2013), helmetface (06-05-2012), jracer (05-25-2012), mason (05-25-2012), mzr0818 (12-26-2012), SPEED6 KILLAH (10-12-2013), Tokay444 (12-24-2012)
 Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

crazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the worldcrazyp is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,564 Times in 638 Posts
Groans: 68
Groaned at 22 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

nice, can't wait to see what the LTA with top mount will look like
2006 MS6 -GTX3076 .82 AR-Steedspeed Topmount mani-DJ/PERM Top mount Kit with PERM tune-CXracing FMIC-Tial .44mm WG - KMD Internals- Sure RDM, Turbine tech FDM and FMM=JBR trilogy MM- Whiteline rear sway- eibach prosport springs-jbarone SSP-COBB AP-ACT 6PUCK- ITV22-Prosport Spin On Conversion-Snow Performance stg 2 Meth-CPE Injector seals-Matt Damon OCC
crazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazyp For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (12-31-2012)
 Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #3

leon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the worldleon78 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,262 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 33 Times in 24 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds sick nasty! Good luck with the build!
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_Nameless Race Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned

Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #4

86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world86AmishMs3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,807 Posts
Groans: 338
Groaned at 93 Times in 48 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like some winning combos
Tial QR BPV, SURE TIG's, ITV24's,
CP-E Stage 2 RMM, Medefail Tranny mount, 18x8 245/40's
390whp/400wtq
12.8@114

Sold

Current: N54 135i FBO
86AmishMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #5

Navy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the worldNavy_Mech2 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
nice, can't wait to see what the LTA with top mount will look like
i plan on mounting the intercooler in the same area as bluestreak did. except the core im getting has the inlet on top of the cooler and the outlet coming out the bottom towards the side. kinda like an L shape. well a backwards L. only thing im concerned with is if the length of the cold pipe is gonna be enough for the maf to get an accurate reading.
06 MS6 |SP Built motor - Weisco Pistons .020" over, Manley H-Beam Rods, Ported Head, Ported Intake, VTCS Delete, BS Delete, VVT Actuator, Keyed Crank, 6th Port Fuel Injection | ACT 6 Puck w/ Streetlite Flywheel | Bullseye S259 .70 A/R Single Scroll | 3.5" Intake/MAF Housing | Steedspeed Twin Scroll T3 Top Mount Manifold | Tubosmart 40mm EWG | Custom DP | Custom TBE | Custom LTA Intercooler | HKS Type IV TT | Dashhawk | COBB AP | AWR RMM | PTP HPFP Guts |

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So just got off the phone with Mike at SPS turbo. BTW, great guy, really helpful and knowlegable. Found out that the s200/300sx turbos need at least a 3/4" diameter drain line as per BW and im pretty sure our factory tube is only 5/8" and i imagine that diameter is kept when the return enters the block....gonna have to PM DJ and see what he did about this.

KILLAH BUILT
The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
atvfreek (06-05-2012)
 Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well i pm'd DJ, and hes rocking a -10 (5/8") drain so thats what im gonna go with. Also where have you guys with DIY intercoolers get your silicone couplers from?

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #8

thehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the worldthehead is the leader of the world
Groans: 143
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

2.5" Intercooler Black piping kit 9pcs Free U Pipe | eBay
^ has most of the needed couplings, all others, like the one from the turbo to the intercooler piping are from siliconeintakes.com, you'll need a few extra straight couplings to connect piping as well, more than what is already in the kit, i think i needed 2 or 3 extra

I'm jealous of your top mount route, I wish I would've gone that way.
[Dead] 2006 MS6 #367 Liquid Platinum 73,000 miles
Engine - Killah built -L19 Headstuds - Steedspeed T3 Twin Scroll top mount goodness - Twin Scroll .83 A/R hotside GTX3071R - JMF V1 IM - Perm 6th Port - CP-E FMIC - SURE 3.25 MAF housing - customized EBay DP - Magnaflow CBE - Autotech HPFP internals
Electrical - GS EBC - Cobb AP Richtune in progress
Drive train - Techna-fit Stainless Steel clutch and brake lines - stoptech rotors - CorkSport RMM - Corksport Trans inserts - SURE Juggernaught & Dreadnaught - E4 heavy knob & Jbarone's Short Shift plate - Tenzo DC-5 Bronze +45 wrapped in ExtremeContact DWS 235/40-18's
Fluids Transmission - Motorcraft synthetic. PTO and Rear diff - Conklin Gold Guard Plus synthetic 75W-90. Engine Oil - Rotella T6 5W-40.

thehead is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #9

Fail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the worldFail_6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,484 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

LTA should be a pretty interesting route. Should look nasty ... Definitely will be tracking this build. GLWB
FreekBuilt Longblock, Manley 9.5:1, Manley H Beams, BW S300SX 6268 1.00 A/R, Dual Tial 38mm MVR EWG, Twinscroll Tubular Top Mount, EGR Delete, Labontes Stage 2 Meth Kit w/ D10, Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS, 3 Bar Map Sensor w/ Matt Jackson Harness, PERM 4" Intake, Cp-E HPFP, CX Racing FMIC, HKS SSQV V3, NGK IX 6510's, Toyota Injector Seals, PERM Catless 3" Turboback w/ dual Magnaflow Magnapaks, PERM Top Mount Valve Cover, PNP Intake Mani, BSD, ACT ZX4-HDG6, Bilstein HD Shocks, H & R Springs, Stoptech Slotted Rotors w/ API Ceramic Pads, JBR Heavy Shift Knob

Stock motor w/ GT2871r:
380 awhp, 375 awtq @ 24 psi (e85 only)
- 13.1 @ 110, 2.1 60 ft
Fail_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #10

6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world6oost3d is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

You might want to check in with Steedspeed. I was originally going with a T4 TS topmount set up, but when i checked with them , they said they aren't making them anymore. I made the mistake of ordering the turbo with the t4 ts housing before ordering the mani

GTX3582 T3 .82 A/R // Wiseco Pistons // K1 Rods // H11 Head Studs// Steedspeed Top Mount Manifold // TiAL MVR // TiAL MVS // PERM Top Mount Kit // NGK plugs // Custom FMIC // Cobb AP // Bosch 3 Bar MAP// Magnaflow Exhaust // MSD Dashhawk // RPM Springs //JBR STG 2 OCC // JBR EGR Delete //Autotech Fuel Pump Internals // SU Motor Mount // Prosport Boost Guage // ACT 6 Puck //Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood // Snow Performance Stage 2 WMI, d10 & d12 nozzles // Corn Fed
516whp/476tq - Mega Meat 2013
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
6oost3d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6oost3d For This Useful Post:
EdgeAutosport.com (06-11-2012), thehead (06-06-2012)
 Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea i called steedspeed and they dont have the top mount t4 anymore so im gettin a t3 and the turbo from full race. gonna cost a bit more but thats no big deal

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Trail of Fail

Dano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the worldDano is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,248 Times in 6,532 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Navy_Mech2 View Post
Well i pm'd DJ, and hes rocking a -10 (5/8") drain so thats what im gonna go with. Also where have you guys with DIY intercoolers get your silicone couplers from?
siliconeintakes.com

they'll likely have everything you need...even L2A stuff.

good luck with the build!

07 Red MS3 GT - E40 - Carrillo Rods - Wiseco Pistons - BSD - JBR 3.5 WidePath - ATP GTX3071 - Forge BPV - GA - Cobb v2 FMIC - CPE EM - CPE DP - CNT CBE - APv3 - Grim EBC - PERM dual port PCV plate - Dano dual OCC - CPE CDFP - Labonte S2 WMI - ACT Street Kit - SUv2 RMM - SU TM - "Stiffy" MM - DG CF wing ext, skirts & front lip - Hotchkis RSB/FSB w PowerGrid Links - Koni FSDs - DBA SX4000 Rotors - Hawk Pads - Silver OZ Ultraleggera - 235/40/18 NT-01
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

^ Thanks man. Seems like i keep hitting road blocks with this thing...kinda like veryone else lol

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok little update here. I ordered the turbo, HPRV, fuel pump guts and crank case breather kit from PTP. I ended up getting the S259 rather than the 256. Its actually Erich's old turbo that he had before he switched to the S366. So now i just gotta get the intercooler and exhaust manifold and all my shit will be ordered!

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well guys ready for the big disappointment. Build is gettin pushed back till christmas. I didnt get my intercooler or my wastegate in time to finish the build. i got everything except for those 2 things in time. I had to drive to VA for my girlfriends birthday on tuesday and my intercooler didnt come till tuesday afternoon and im still waitin on the wastegate. But come spring, theres gonna be another big turbo mazda rollin around the jacksonville area!

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also might try out this EBCS instead of the grimm...

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/2012/05/...trol-solenoid/

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little update: started getting blowout above 6k the other day...changed out my plugs since they were about a year old or so...blowout seems to be gone so thats good news. also gonna have my dad ship my relief valve, injector seals and crank case vent kit here so i can get those out of the way.

Bought a 309 piece tool set from sears the other day. they had it listed for 399 on the shelf but they hadnt stocked them yet and when the lady rang them up, they came out to 249! Winning!

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 08-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Left front upper ball joint is toast. Fuck my life.

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #19

tastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the worldtastysi2004 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 22 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

dude, good luck with your build.. seems like you are on the right path. vr os2 sw/aw haha
ill be by that area in mid november time. hopefully there is a meet so i can join in.
Purple drank in my tank.
build block, pnp everything, tr825 core, meth and lots of it.
554whp/546wtq @ 30psi.
another build? maybe soon..
b/c race cars need more attention than women.

adlpb: ~Fast cars are for straight lines. Corners are for fast drivers.~

#CATBACKEXHAUST
tastysi2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

haha thanks man. if youre in town for the second saturday of november we have a meet called cars and coffee at the wild wing cafe off of southside blvd.

v/r,
AD2 (AW)

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #21

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Talk about torture...winter cant come soon enough.

KILLAH BUILT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (12-31-2012), GunGuru727 (12-24-2012)
 Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Christmas came early! @djuosnteisn; thanks a lot man the line looks killer!

Sent by my thumbs

KILLAH BUILT
atvfreek (12-24-2012), djuosnteisn (12-31-2012)
 Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So since my brother is in town, and he works for beer, we changed out my front ball joints today.

Sorry about the cell phone pics... I've actually been putting off changine them for about 2 months now since I don't really drive the car much after I bought my truck. Anyway on to pucks of the carnage...
Left one

Right one

If you look at the visible edge of the socket you can see where its been egged out. And all the white/grey shit that looks like it doesn't belong is actually a mixture of sand and greese. A by-product of what happens when your dumb ass ex wife drives your car ON the beach. Took us just under 2 hours but we would have been done faster had the right control arm not gotten stuck to the bottom stud of the ball joint. Moral of the story, ball joints don't like sand.
Sent by my thumbs

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #24

atvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the worldatvfreek is the leader of the world
Thanked 23,000 Times in 6,143 Posts
Groans: 37
Groaned at 20 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Congrats man. What turbo is that? And are you going top mount?

Sent from freeks kitchen
11.321@129.93
atvfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its a bullseye s259. and yes im going top mount. im actually gonna be installing it from the 1st to the 5th

KILLAH BUILT
atvfreek (12-25-2012), djuosnteisn (12-31-2012)
 Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #26

GunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the worldGunGuru727 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,386 Times in 1,999 Posts
Groans: 38
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its a bullseye s259. and yes im going top mount. im actually gonna be installing it from the 1st to the 5th
Interesting...just out of curiosity, how come you chose that turbo in particular?

What will it net you over the standard go-to's?

When are you building the motor?
JBR 80D Trilogy Mount Package - Grimmspeed EBCS Autotech Internals
Bosch 3 Bar Map Sensor - Bit Wise Plug n Play - GFB Hybrid BOV
Bilstein Struts - H&R Sport Lowering Springs - Cobb v3 - e85
Granite State Dyno 4/3/15: 363hp/370trq
------------------------------------------------
2013 Plasma Blue Subaru STI Hatch
E85 FreekTune - Full Bolt-ons
5/14/14 - 12.4@110
------------------------------------------------
2010 NASA Space Shuttle Silver GenPu
E85 FreekTune
EWG GTX3071r: 401HP/386TRQ
K04: 323HP/TachFail SAE
GunGuru727 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #27

Boosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the worldBoosted Beluga is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,844 Posts
Groans: 50
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looking forward to see how this turns out.

Fucking FREEK TUNED and shit
Boosted Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #28

xI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the worldxI Leveler Ix is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,693 Times in 888 Posts
Groans: 75
Groaned at 31 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Looks good man! Subb'd for results!!
///VRM 2006 UNICORN Speed6 GT #02418///
STOCK AS OF 2015...
Old Stuff....
/// COBB AP /// AT HPFP /// 20psi Teck5 Tune by Ekanddsm /// JBR RMM /// HTP 3" Intake System /// SURE Dreadnaught and Juggernaut ///
/// Denso ITV22 /// Mystery Testpipe /// Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel /// Eagle Motorsports Full-Faced Clutch Upgrade ///
/// Megan Racing Springs /// SPC Adjustable Balljoints /// JBR TIGS, EGR Delete and Coolant Bypass ///

xI Leveler Ix is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GunGuru727 View Post
Interesting...just out of curiosity, how come you chose that turbo in particular?

What will it net you over the standard go-to's?

When are you building the motor?

Motor build is gonna be down the line sometime. I just bought a truck to replace this as my DD so i have to wait for the funds to build back up.

I picked it because it was different, and because i got a sweet deal on it. I actually hadnt even heard of these turbos until i read DJ's build with his s300 and then later Erich's. This flows around what a 3076 does but is priced comparitivly less since its not a ball bearing turbo. Also being a journal bearing turbo, its rebuildable versus having to buy a whole new CHRA if something minor like a seal or a bearing starts to go out.

KILLAH BUILT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
atvfreek (01-07-2013), djuosnteisn (12-31-2012), GunGuru727 (12-26-2012)
 Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #30

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It has begunnnn!!!!!!1!1!11! (Insert appropriate mortal combat meme)

Sent by my thumbs

KILLAH BUILT
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
atvfreek (01-07-2013), Boosted Beluga (01-02-2013), djuosnteisn (07-18-2013), jracer (01-03-2013), lilred (01-06-2013), psychophyr (01-02-2013)
 Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #31

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So end of day 1. Got all the stock BS out of the way and mocked up the manifold and the turbo to get some measurements for the down pipe and dump tube. Tomorrow I gotta get a couple bolts for the oil drain flange and track down some water fittings for the inter cooler and heat exchanger. Also does anyone know what amperage the Bosch cobra water pumps run off? Now on to the pics...

Sent by my thumbs

KILLAH BUILT
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
Boosted Beluga (01-02-2013), djuosnteisn (07-18-2013), jracer (01-03-2013), Poohster (01-03-2013)
 Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #32

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ok. Days 2,3,4 and 5. Got everything in and made it back to Jacksonville running on all cylinders!! After many, MANY runs back and forth between o'rileys, rice-zone and ace hardware (i think i was on a first name basis with everyone), 3 long nights with hardly any sleep, its done!

So anyway the car runs good. Not perfect yet, but good. It feels slower right now since im running on wastgate pressure which is only set at 14 lbs, even though it creeps up to 17. The screamer pipe sounds dope and the turbo sounds like a damn jet engine when it spools up.

So day 2 was more or less spent mocking up the downpipe and making the new elbow that tied into my cpe downpipe. Took me and my brother about 2 and a half hours since we were working with a straight piece of 3" tube. Anyway, we ended up cutting 2 45 deg pieces and one 15 or so to make the turn after the turbo. I'm not 100% happy with how it looks but it works and it doesnt leak. So to feel better about it i wrapped it with heat wrap.

Day 3 was mostly running around trying to get shit made. I took my hot pipe to Ohio Hydraulics (great people if anyone in the Cincinnati area needs shit made) and had them machine and weld a flange for my blow off valve. They also brazed a -4an fitting onto my oil feed and gave me 2 -10an to 5/8" barb fittings for my heat exchanger. That night we finished up the downpipe and wrapped it, fitted, welded and wrapped the screamer pipe, and got the wasegate mounted to the manifold. ***Anyone using a turbosmart wastegate or going to*** This was an absolute -read- BITCH to get on! It probably took the 3 of us an hour using channel lock pliers to get on. What i ended up noticing was that the turbosmart has a sleeve that seals the bottom of the piston when its in the closed position. (i dunno if the tial or any other brands have this) Now the steedspeed manifold has a notch machined in the wastegate flange for this seal but it seemed that it was machined a smidge too shallow to allow the main body of the wastegate to sit flat on the flange. What we ended up doing was grinding down the seat of the insert so it let the wastegate sit flat against the manifold. Now again, i dont know if thats an issue with the steedspeed manifolds or not. I doubt it since most everyone else seems to have no trouble with them, just thought id share with you guys.

Day 4 was a rush to get everything finished since it was saturday and we had to drive back down today (12 hours). My 90 deg coupler from silicone intakes showed up at 1130 and we went to work getting the turbo put on, downpipe hooked up and the intercooler piping ran. Everything went super smooth until it came to the hotpipe. Unfortunatly our measurements, a.k.a. eyeballs, were off by about 4 inches. i think we just assumed the 90 deg coupler would be a little bit longer on the straight ends. so long story short the hot pipe is at kind of a wonky angle in order to get it to fit. I have a friend in town that im gonna have weld a few inches onto the end so that it lines up straighter. Now on to the funny (at least i thought it was) shit. While we were installing the heat exchanger, my dumbass knocked the fan off of the toolbox and of course it broke the housing and a blade off. So i just said fuck it and didnt put one on. Then i told my brother and girlfriend to put all the trim that goes against the windshield back on along with the hood and bumper while i cut a map to get the car running. When i got back and flashed it, the car fired right up, but when i went to back it out of the barn, i realized i had no power steering. Then i remembered that i forgot to put the serpentine belt back on. By the way, thats a bitch to do with a top mount setup since the downpipe blocks any and all access to the tensioner.
So after a few more tweaks to the map, we drove to my dad's girlfriend's house out in wilmington. (about 45 min) On the way there i rolled on the throttle on the highway and i could only boost 5 psi. When we got to her house it dawned on me...we didnt put clamps around the throttle body coupler . I borrowed a couple clamps from her neighbor and then the tune went stupid lean as soon as the car started. Imagine that. Luckily i brought my laptop with me and i added about 10% more fuel to the 20 that i already gave it and the car ran like a champ. Turbo spooled decently quick and i hit 14 psi and crept to 17 by 6000 with the afr's staying under 12. And thats where i left the tune for the drive back down.

Some thoughts on the LTA setup. Cruising BAT's are kinda high (40deg over ambient) but i think thats in part to not having a fan on the heat exchanger and a little bit of air in the system still. But when boost rolls on temps drop by the 10's down to just above ambient. Ill post logs about this later this week as well as a VD plot. As for the future i need to install my injector seals, get my hotpipe fixed and install my HPRV and buy a EBCS. I think im gonna get the Cobb one unless you guys think its a better idea to use another.

Also a big thank you to everyone who helped me along the way
JMOC-woop! @Raider; @djuosnteisn; @chuckms6; @QwkEVO; @Erich;
If i forgot you i apologise!
1st start video (since i know thats the only reason you guys even clicked on this thread)
2013-01-05_17-23-48_932_zpsc25d9fb8.mp4 video by ad_newcome | Photobucket

edit- how the fuck do i upload pictures off photobucket??? lol i clicked the picture icon and when i did the original post they showed up with the img tags but the pictures didnt show up

KILLAH BUILT

Last edited by Erich; 01-06-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-18-2013), Erich (01-06-2013), lilred (01-06-2013), Monotonous ONE (01-06-2013), Raider (01-06-2013), speedms6 (01-07-2013)
 Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #33

chuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,543 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 14
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

glad to help the little bit i did lol i didnt know what you were up to!

if you take some pics of your waic setup maybe we can see whats up with it. ive actually removed the fan from my setup for now, whenever i reinstall it im just hooking it up to the switched side of my circuit so it comes on when the fan is off. when the car is running most of the time its moving so it seemed pointless.

my fan and pump was fused with a 10 amp fuse and didnt blow except for the time a relay rusted, so the pump pulls less than 5 amps.

do you have a thermal intake gasket? that helps with temps a bunch, as does egr delete/block off. to bleed they waic system i have a tee and a short length of hose that can extend above everything else in the system. when i bleed the system i pull the bolt that i use as a plug out and put a funnel in the hose, fill the funnel then run the pump for like 5 minutes or until it stops bubbling, then remove the funnel and replace the bolt and seal with a hose clamp. eventually i will get a small reservoir to make it cleaner and easier. it will not cool right unless it is completely bled. also i use a little water wetter, about a 3rd of a bottle.

13.7@ 96 w/1.8 60ft (SRI, AP)
13.4@ 102 w/1.9 60ft (SRI,AP,WAIC,TIG, Internals, ITV22's)

chuckms6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckms6 For This Useful Post:
Navy_Mech2 (01-07-2013)
 Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #34

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yea I think the biggest issue is air in the system. We were in a hurry to finish so we didn't take too much time to burp it. I'll get some pictures after work tonight.

Sent by my thumbs

KILLAH BUILT
The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_Mech2 For This Useful Post:
chuckms6 (01-07-2013)
 Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #35

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh yea forgot to add, no tigs and no egr block off. I to have a remote filler cap for the system and its at the highest point when I hold it up to fill it. It's filled with 50/50 antifreeze right now since it was like 30 deg in Ohio and I didn't want the water freezing but I'm gonna drain most of it and refill with water and water wetter

Sent by my thumbs

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #36

chuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the worldchuckms6 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Oh yea forgot to add, no tigs and no egr block off. I to have a remote filler cap for the system and its at the highest point when I hold it up to fill it. It's filled with 50/50 antifreeze right now since it was like 30 deg in Ohio and I didn't want the water freezing but I'm gonna drain most of it and refill with water and water wetter

Sent by my thumbs
Get those on there, they help bat's a ton. More than water wetter

Tapatalking

The Following User Says Thank You to chuckms6 For This Useful Post:
Navy_Mech2 (01-07-2013)
 Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #37

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

OK here's some better pictures of the setup with the heat exchanger and water pump. Sorry about the cell pics. And the slightly crooked pipe setup

Sent by my thumbs

KILLAH BUILT

Last edited by Navy_Mech2; 01-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.
chuckms6 (01-07-2013), djuosnteisn (07-18-2013)
 Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #38

Not Ranked  0 score     

It looks like you shouldn't have a problem. what direction does the water flow in and in what order?

Tapatalking

Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

From the pump up to the intercooler, then to the remote filler, back down to the top of the heat exchanger, out the bottom and back to the pump.

KILLAH BUILT
 Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #40

Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds good then, you should be happy with just the tig and egr delete

Tapatalking

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f498/navy-s-bt-build-114631/
Posted By For Type Date
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - 88' 200sx ca20e coupe to sr20det This thread Refback 01-11-2015 06:50 PM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - Turn signals not working! This thread Refback 08-10-2014 11:46 AM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - Tr3 Car Polish/wax/omfg My Paint Sucks Fix It!!!! This thread Refback 07-21-2014 09:00 PM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - S12_rb20det_4wd This thread Refback 05-01-2014 07:37 AM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - Project: Black Widow This thread Refback 07-27-2013 09:46 AM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - TB48DE This thread Refback 02-14-2013 03:19 AM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - [SoCal] RHD clip no motor This thread Refback 01-04-2013 06:11 PM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - RB25det, June 28th deadline - no sleep until completion. then beer. This thread Refback 12-18-2012 04:31 PM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - yup..fell asleep at the wheel This thread Refback 11-14-2012 03:55 PM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - my new SE build This thread Refback 10-25-2012 05:33 AM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - what do you guys do for a living This thread Refback 09-20-2012 05:54 PM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - Geting My S12 Slammed! This thread Refback 08-29-2012 04:28 PM
Club-S12 - 10th Aniversary - my 1986 turbo s12 drift project This thread Refback 08-04-2012 04:50 PM