register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree10Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #1

Hapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Can someone help me with Spark Plug gap?

So I was planning to do a Spark plug change and some other work and wanted to pick up a set of NGK Iridiums but no autoparts store carried them instock, so I settled for a set of AC Delco Platium Professional 41-988 plugs from Pep Boys.

They recommended a gap of 0.052" which I thought was pretty huge, but I went a long with it since that's what the AC Delco site says and so did Pep Boys.
ACDelco Professional Platinum 41-988 - Spark Plug | O'Reilly Auto Parts

After installing them, the idle and moderate acceleration was fine, but as soon as you go WOT it starts misfiring like crazy.

So my question is, is it a problem with the plug?
Or should I try regapping them to 0.028 to 0.032 like the NGKs? I guess I don't understand if a spark plug "gap" is spark plug brand/model specific, or is it motor specific?
Anyway, I have a NGK Iridiums on order, but they won't get here til next week and I got a track event on Saturday...
2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 with Hypertech tune, BEGi intake, Racing Beat exhaust, eBay test pipe (formerly had SU), DDM 55w HID, 225/45/18 Hankook V12s on stock wheels (Street), 225/45/17 Federal 595RS-R on MX-5 17x7.5" wheels (Track) or 225/40/18 Nitto NT-01s on stock wheels (track set#2), Hawk HPS pads F&R(Street), Carbotech XP10 F (Track), GT3 brake deflectors (track), NGK LTR7IX-11
Hapa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

J'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 76
Not Ranked  0 score     

Holy shit buy some real spark plugs
Denso Iridium ITV20 ITV22 ITV24 Spark Plugs Mazdaspeed 3 6 MS3 MS6 MZR DISI

And do it the right way! Gap to .028, I think that's what most guys run here. I'm running .026 but i'm also way more modded than you and pro tuned.

Inb4rape
J'sSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J'sSpeed3 For This Useful Post:
silentwolf8 (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

AC delco platinums?
platinums? really?

did you like, uh, consider the owner's manual at all or anything?
ugh. platinums on a turbo car.
Broad Street Bully likes this.
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimmike For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Hapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by J'sSpeed3 View Post
Holy shit buy some real spark plugs
Denso Iridium ITV20 ITV22 ITV24 Spark Plugs Mazdaspeed 3 6 MS3 MS6 MZR DISI

And do it the right way! Gap to .028, I think that's what most guys run here. I'm running .026 but i'm also way more modded than you and pro tuned.

Inb4rape
Per the original post, NGK Iridium IX are already ordered and are apparently better than the "POS Densos" according to some people on this forum. I figured I'd stay NGK cuz Densos cause problems on my NSX..

Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
AC delco platinums?
platinums? really?

did you like, uh, consider the owner's manual at all or anything?
ugh. platinums on a turbo car.
Yes I considered the owner's manual. They mention "platinum" once and the says this on page 10-4 of my 2008 manual: "When cleaning the iridium plugs, do not use a wire brush. The fine particulate coating on the iridium alloy and platinum tips could be damaged."

Have you read it?

Why would all the spark plug manufacturers & auto parts stores recommend them if they don't work?
2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 with Hypertech tune, BEGi intake, Racing Beat exhaust, eBay test pipe (formerly had SU), DDM 55w HID, 225/45/18 Hankook V12s on stock wheels (Street), 225/45/17 Federal 595RS-R on MX-5 17x7.5" wheels (Track) or 225/40/18 Nitto NT-01s on stock wheels (track set#2), Hawk HPS pads F&R(Street), Carbotech XP10 F (Track), GT3 brake deflectors (track), NGK LTR7IX-11
 Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Will fuck up ur day

Chimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the worldChimmike is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,143 Posts
Groans: 433
Groaned at 224 Times in 138 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

iridium plugs are not platinum.

The first phrase in your quote says: "When cleaning the iridium plugs,"

so where the fuck did you get the idea that they recommended platinums? Especially when the recommended plugs IN THE MANUAL ARE IRIDUM?

You have a turbo NSX?

I weep.
uncorked11 likes this.
Turismo Vids - Store your car vids and pics here! Blog your builds too!
Click here for great deals at The RPM Store! PM me for pricing!
I hear that honkey at Protégé Garage is pretty decent too.
Chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chimmike For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (09-10-2012), uncorked11 (09-13-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #6

silentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,261 Times in 699 Posts
Groans: 44
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wrongs:

1: Wrong Plugs
2: Didnt search
3: Listened to a parts store
4: Impulse Buyer
5: Read wrong.

Continue?

2013 SPW STi // COBB SRI w/Box // COBB BPV // UR Catless DP// UR CBE // COBB Lowering Springs // COBB Sway Bars // +1 NGK // DW65c FP

AWDTuning Tuned
silentwolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentwolf8 For This Useful Post:
SLOWHATCH (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #7

Oliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,946 Times in 513 Posts
Groans: 25
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Hapa88.... don't buy those... buy the denso's or NGK's. Make sure Iridium. and btw.. happy birthday

2010 BM MS3 - Cobb AP||3gal corn||Autotech Internals||ETS TMIC||Forge BPV||Denso Iridium ITV22||TurboXS DP||ARK exhaust||CP-E Nano SRI||PG TIP||JBR RMM||JBR PMM||TRZ TMM||NRG ETD||DDM 55w 5000k HIDs and DDM 35w 3000k HID fogs||JB Heavy Knob||JB SSP||ST Coilovers w/ Eibach rear Camber Kit(made by SPC)||17x9 +28 Drag DR31 (track) RPF1 18x8 +35 (DD)||HKS TT Type 0||Clarion EQ||MB Quarts speakers||Pioneer amps and 10" Competition Sub.
346hp 392lbs of sexyness
Oliverms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

iridium plugs are not platinum.

The first phrase in your quote says: "When cleaning the iridium plugs,"
The phrase says this: "Note: When cleaning the iridium plugs, do not use a wire brush. The fine particulate coating on the iridium alloy and platinum tips could be damaged."

So does that mean iridium plugs have platinum tips? Hmm, confusing....

so where the fuck did you get the idea that they recommended platinums? Especially when the recommended plugs IN THE MANUAL ARE IRIDUM?
Manual recommends L3K9-18-110a (can't find this part anywhere) or L3Y3-18-110 plugs (seems to be Lazer Iridium).
Note that nowhere in the manual does it say "Iridium" is required or "Do not use Platinum plugs". You guys are recommending non-OEM plugs so what's the issue with the confusion?

You have a turbo NSX?

I weep.
Nowhere did I state I have a turbo NSX. Just to clarify though, it's N/A.

Originally Posted by silentwolf8 View Post
Wrongs:
1: Wrong Plugs
What's the "right" plug? Seems like the "right" plug is the OEM one, but you guys keep recommending a non-OEM Denso or NGK.

2: Didnt search
Did search... nothing on AC Delco came up.

3: Listened to a parts store
Also listed to the manufacturer's recommendations..

4: Impulse Buyer
Guilty as charged..

5: Read wrong.
Not sure what I read wrong... I read a lot of things, most of it contradictory...

Continue?
Yes please, still would like the answer to the question I posed in the first post:
"I guess I don't understand if a spark plug "gap" is spark plug brand/model specific, or is it motor specific?"

Originally Posted by Oliverms3 View Post
@Hapa88.... don't buy those... buy the denso's or NGK's. Make sure Iridium. and btw.. happy birthday
Thanks Oliver. I got the NGK Iridium IX LTR7IX-11 on order, but they probably won't get here til Saturday.. I think I'll just regap my OEMs (luckily I still have them) and put them back in for the track day this Saturday.

Thanks for the HBD.

Last edited by Hapa88; 09-10-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 09-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

b3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant futureb3nnno has a brilliant future
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

i never trust pepboys or any autoparts store clerks. from experience things have been incorrect. if im not mistaken the itv20s are gapped wrong too for our car. (.044 i think). put stock back in and order itv22s or go ngk 3787 (which is stock) both are gapped correctly (.028-.032). also avoid buying from dealership...i had to buy 1 plug in a pinch and it was 22 bucks -_-.)
b3nnno is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by b3nnno View Post
i never trust pepboys or any autoparts store clerks. from experience things have been incorrect. if im not mistaken the itv20s are gapped wrong too for our car. (.044 i think). put stock back in and order itv22s or go ngk 3787 (which is stock) both are gapped correctly (.028-.032). also avoid buying from dealership...i had to buy 1 plug in a pinch and it was 22 bucks -_-.)
Thanks for that. I was trying to get everything together and went to 4 different shops (1 Autozone, 1 Oriley, & 2 Pep Boys) looking for NGKs and no one had them (nor the Densos).

So would you think that just about any plug referenced to fit the MS3 should be gapped to .028 to .032? (I see some people running Autolites too)
 Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #11

3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world3Gee Tee is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,081 Times in 723 Posts
Groans: 19
Groaned at 32 Times in 24 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Should have over-nighted the parts from Japan.
Stretcher likes this.

'08 Speed3 - Cobb sri/cp-e rmm/18x8 RX-8 rims (DynoJet @ 254 whp/295 wtq)
'99 Miata - Ground Control coilovers/Bilstein Sports/Racing Beat F&R sway bars/Go Miata strut tower brace/Jackson Racing header/MSM muffler/15x7 Kudo Racing wheels
3Gee Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3Gee Tee For This Useful Post:
anavrinIV (09-10-2012), Chimmike (09-10-2012), Kyle Undefined (09-10-2012), Mchart (09-10-2012), SLOWHATCH (09-10-2012), the public enemy (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #12

K7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the world
Groans: 32
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Lol, plenty of wreckage here...Go to sparkplugauto.com get yourself some itv-22's (gapped about .028).

Then please donate to help support our awesome forum then get an e tune from one of the cool e tuners here and be satisfied with cool car.
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750 : Crashed & Fixed
2004 Sentra SE-R Spec V : Traded
1995 Nissan Altima : Sold
1987 RX-7 : Sold

Originally Posted by helmetfail View Post
Cop: Sir, your car smells of marijuana, would you mind showing me your ashtray?

You: Um, there's no weed there sir...Just Meth...

Cop: %&#*#(#&$
K7addict is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 3Gee Tee View Post
Should have over-nighted the parts from Japan.
Needed them that day...

Originally Posted by K7addict View Post
Lol, plenty of wreckage here...Go to sparkplugauto.com get yourself some itv-22's (gapped about .028).

Then please donate to help support our awesome forum then get an e tune from one of the cool e tuners here and be satisfied with cool car.
Haha, awesome forum?? Judging from this thread, I'd say not...
Anyway, I already have an e tune and have been satisfied so far..
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to Hapa88 For This Un-useful Post:
anavrinIV (09-10-2012), Ryguy (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #14

Oliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the worldOliverms3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,946 Times in 513 Posts
Groans: 25
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

thread lightly my friend

2010 BM MS3 - Cobb AP||3gal corn||Autotech Internals||ETS TMIC||Forge BPV||Denso Iridium ITV22||TurboXS DP||ARK exhaust||CP-E Nano SRI||PG TIP||JBR RMM||JBR PMM||TRZ TMM||NRG ETD||DDM 55w 5000k HIDs and DDM 35w 3000k HID fogs||JB Heavy Knob||JB SSP||ST Coilovers w/ Eibach rear Camber Kit(made by SPC)||17x9 +28 Drag DR31 (track) RPF1 18x8 +35 (DD)||HKS TT Type 0||Clarion EQ||MB Quarts speakers||Pioneer amps and 10" Competition Sub.
346hp 392lbs of sexyness
Oliverms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oliverms3 For This Useful Post:
Chimmike (09-10-2012), J'sSpeed3 (09-10-2012), K7addict (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #15

K7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the worldK7addict is the leader of the world
Groans: 32
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Hapa88 View Post
Needed them that day...

A simple 'thank you for the website mention" would have sufficed.

It is and will stay awesome for those that appreciate it and have a little common sense to research and learn first.

If you don't fit in here, you know the way out. /thread
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750 : Crashed & Fixed
2004 Sentra SE-R Spec V : Traded
1995 Nissan Altima : Sold
1987 RX-7 : Sold

Originally Posted by helmetfail View Post
Cop: Sir, your car smells of marijuana, would you mind showing me your ashtray?

You: Um, there's no weed there sir...Just Meth...

Cop: %&#*#(#&$
K7addict is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #16

silentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the worldsilentwolf8 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

NGK and Denso's are special ordered. hence why no one carries them.. it comes down to demand and theres not much for them so they dont order.

always look at reputable vendors we have on here when it comes to parts... this forum has everything that has been tried. what does and doesnt work.

street unit. cork sport. cp-e. cobb. edgeautosports. james barone racing. Sure. these guys carry everything we need or getting there. stop going to your local vatozones and peptyboys.

side note. glad you did it right and bought the NGK's

2013 SPW STi // COBB SRI w/Box // COBB BPV // UR Catless DP// UR CBE // COBB Lowering Springs // COBB Sway Bars // +1 NGK // DW65c FP

AWDTuning Tuned
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #17

J'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the worldJ'sSpeed3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Needed them that day...

You're in for a rude awakening then.. This thread has been extremely nice compared to the hazing other brownies have gotten, count your blessings..

Everyone on here has seen questions like this and there are threads on this exact subject (use the google search bar, works much better)

Have thick skin on this forum and you'll make it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J'sSpeed3 For This Useful Post:
Chimmike (09-10-2012), SLOWHATCH (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by K7addict View Post
A simple 'thank you for the website mention" would have sufficed.

It is and will stay awesome for those that appreciate it and have a little common sense to research and learn first.

If you don't fit in here, you know the way out. /thread
Thank you for the website but I'm still yet to find the answer to my question:
"I guess I don't understand if a spark plug "gap" is spark plug brand/model specific, or is it motor specific?"

I guess I don't know if I fit in here. All I'm looking for are some answers to my question

NGK and Denso's are special ordered. hence why no one carries them.. it comes down to demand and theres not much for them so they dont order.

always look at reputable vendors we have on here when it comes to parts... this forum has everything that has been tried. what does and doesnt work.

street unit. cork sport. cp-e. cobb. edgeautosports. james barone racing. Sure. these guys carry everything we need or getting there. stop going to your local vatozones and peptyboys.

side note. glad you did it right and bought the NGK's
Thank you silentwolf. That's pretty much what I found out. Was hoping for the best by shopping around locally so I could get the plugs in that day but with no luck.
(Yes, I've ordered from Street Unit, Amazon, Corksport all before, but like I stated before I wanted them in that day since I'd be at a place I could actually work on my car)
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

I guess I don't know if I fit in here. All I'm looking for are some answers to my question

Thank you silentwolf. That's pretty much what I found out. Was hoping for the best by shopping around locally so I could get the plugs in that day but with no luck.
(Yes, I've ordered from Street Unit, Amazon, Corksport all before, but like I stated before I wanted them in that day since I'd be at a place I could actually work on my car)
just keep in mind.. no more impulse buying with these cars.. they can be touchy with mods

AWDTuning Tuned
The Following User Says Thank You to silentwolf8 For This Useful Post:
J'sSpeed3 (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by J'sSpeed3 View Post
You're in for a rude awakening then.. This thread has been extremely nice compared to the hazing other brownies have gotten, count your blessings..

Everyone on here has seen questions like this and there are threads on this exact subject (use the google search bar, works much better)

Have thick skin on this forum and you'll make it
Haha, it's ok, I've seen the attitude before in a previous thread I started a while back. I've come to expect that from here.
At least there are a few posts that are actually helpful, so I just hold tight until then.
Thanks for the Google search bar tip.. as a note, I just searched for the AC Delco and 41-988 and nothing more comes up..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hapa88 For This Useful Post:
J'sSpeed3 (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

why did you need spark plugs so quickly? I would just put the stock ones back in till your NGK's come and then gap those to .028
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

just keep in mind.. no more impulse buying with these cars.. they can be touchy with mods
Yeah, so far I haven't really been that way, until this instance.. I just got back from being out of the country and had a few days off before work. Decided I'd visit the parents one day so I could work on the car in their garage (since I live in a condo HOA that doesn't allow working on cars).
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #23

Keko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,441 Times in 666 Posts
Groans: 107
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There is no way you searched, if you are still asking this question. Motor specific.

Stratified 91

Cobb AP | UR FMIC, TP, CBE | Autotech Internals
Forge v2 BPV | Denso ITV22 | SURE Aeros Full3 ID283*
JBR 88a RMM/TMM, 70a PMM, OCC, RSB, TIGs, Coolant bypass, EGR delete, Bushings, Knob
Aeroforce Interceptor | Defi Boost gauge

*Product is advertised as ID300
Keko is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #24

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

you realize that platinum is an element and not just a spark plug type? it happens to be highly conductive and....

forget it, this isn't going to sink in.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by anavrinIV View Post
you realize that platinum is an element and not just a spark plug type? it happens to be highly conductive and....

forget it, this isn't going to sink in.
Would love to hear the continuation of this...

Originally Posted by Keko View Post
There is no way you searched, if you are still asking this question. Motor specific.
Please send me the links then, since this is contradictory to my research which show's the AC Delco Spark Plug for the Mazdaspeed 3 has a recommended gap of 0.052".
ACDelco Parts

Last edited by Hapa88; 09-10-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #26

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

you can have platinum on a plug that is not a platinum plug. iridium plugs have an iridium center electrode, the ground electrode may still be platinum or platinum coated.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anavrinIV For This Useful Post:
silvapain (09-11-2012), the public enemy (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #27

Keko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the worldKeko is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,441 Times in 666 Posts
Groans: 107
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Would love to hear the continuation of this...

Please send me the links then, since this is contradictory to my research which show's the AC Delco Spark Plug for the Mazdaspeed 3 has a recommended gap of 0.052".
ACDelco Parts
Let me google that for you

Stratified 91

Cobb AP | UR FMIC, TP, CBE | Autotech Internals
Forge v2 BPV | Denso ITV22 | SURE Aeros Full3 ID283*
JBR 88a RMM/TMM, 70a PMM, OCC, RSB, TIGs, Coolant bypass, EGR delete, Bushings, Knob
Aeroforce Interceptor | Defi Boost gauge

*Product is advertised as ID300
Keko is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #28

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Keko View Post
Thanks, but those results just explain what definition of the spark gap is, which I already know.
Most of them also say to consult the engine and spark plug manufacturers for specific gaps.. and there lies the problem..

Mazda states 0.028―0.031 in in the manual.
But the spark plug manufacturer states 0.052 (which is what I gapped to).

Would the problem go away if I regapped what I have to 0.028 - 0.031? (It's sounding like yes, unless the platinum is what's causing the misfires..)
 Old 09-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #29

Not Ranked  0 score     

they aren't the right plugs, period. unless you torched the stock ones you should put them back in, they'll be better for a week than these are.

The Following User Says Thank You to anavrinIV For This Useful Post:
Hapa88 (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #30

franz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the worldfranz is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,752 Times in 717 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks, but those results just explain what definition of the spark gap is, which I already know.
Most of them also say to consult the engine and spark plug manufacturers for specific gaps.. and there lies the problem..

Mazda states 0.028―0.031 in in the manual.
But the spark plug manufacturer states 0.052 (which is what I gapped to).

Would the problem go away if I regapped what I have to 0.028 - 0.031? (It's sounding like yes, unless the platinum is what's causing the misfires..)
I know the stickies here are spread all over the place, but this is covered. If its not in the list dont use it.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ge-1-2-a-5692/

Gap is engine specific, so when you see AC Delco recommend the same plug for a 2.0L Miata as a 2.3L Mazdaspeed Turbo there is a big problem. Oh and apparently they also work on Buicks and Cadillacs.

If you had gone to the NGK website, which is the OEM plug, and done the same search you would have been given the correct plug. You would then notice if you look at the Stock 3 the gap is .052, not the turbo.
Bilstein B8/Swift Spec-R/ST120s/Nitto 555
JBR 70dur. RMM-TMM-PMM/SSP+Bushings/TIGs/OCC
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to franz For This Useful Post:
Hapa88 (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #31

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,753 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

it's an amazing thing that after all these years on essentially the same engine, and with all these detail oriented gear heads, that spark plugs haven't been listed in detail. What a bitchin idea, somebody should do that

yeah.

Spark Plug Database - Gen2
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Hapa88 (09-10-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #32
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,994 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

You didn't bother to read the spark plug database... So that confirms you have not sat down and read the forums. There's very detailed information here for a reason.

We have really good vendors who know this platform. That's where you should be buying your plugs from.

You should at least make an effort to fit in. There's very little hand holding as it disrupts the community from doing what it does best, pushing the platform.
TiGraySpeed6 and SLOWHATCH like this.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haltech For This Useful Post:
silvapain (09-11-2012), SLOWHATCH (09-10-2012), the public enemy (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by franz View Post
I know the stickies here are spread all over the place, but this is covered. If its not in the list dont use it.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ge-1-2-a-5692/

Gap is engine specific, so when you see AC Delco recommend the same plug for a 2.0L Miata as a 2.3L Mazdaspeed Turbo there is a big problem. Oh and apparently they also work on Buicks and Cadillacs.

If you had gone to the NGK website, which is the OEM plug, and done the same search you would have been given the correct plug. You would then notice if you look at the Stock 3 the gap is .052, not the turbo.
Wow, finally a real answer. I knew if I wait it out it would come!! Thank you!

Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
it's an amazing thing that after all these years on essentially the same engine, and with all these detail oriented gear heads, that spark plugs haven't been listed in detail. What a bitchin idea, somebody should do that

yeah.

Spark Plug Database - Gen2
Thanks for the link! amazing after all these posts we're finally getting somewhere.

Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
You didn't bother to read the spark plug database... So that confirms you have not sat down and read the forums. There's very detailed information here for a reason.

We have really good vendors who know this platform. That's where you should be buying your plugs from.

You should at least make an effort to fit in. There's very little hand holding as it disrupts the community from doing what it does best, pushing the platform.
I didn't bother to read the database because I didn't realize it buried in another Forum... if I would have know I would have read it but thanks for the link - I'll look at it now. I guess if that was given in the first replies I wouldn't be here disrupting the community.

Suggestion: add to the database spark plugs that have been tried and DON'T work. That way when I search "AC Delco", my answer will actually pop up.

I come to forums to look for answers and provide them if I know the answer. I like to try to be helpful to the community and try not be a tool about it. I try to stick to facts and have evidence to back up my claims. Anyway I think if you're really trying to push a platform, it might be more effective if you had a solid helpful & supportive base, not one that constantly ridicules and pokes fun at the "Brownies".

BTW, I noticed you're from Oceanside.. I grew up there and went to Oceanside High.... a long time ago..
 Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #34
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,994 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

Wow, finally a real answer. I knew if I wait it out it would come!! Thank you!

Thanks for the link! amazing after all these posts we're finally getting somewhere.

I didn't bother to read the database because I didn't realize it buried in another Forum... if I would have know I would have read it but thanks for the link - I'll look at it now. I guess if that was given in the first replies I wouldn't be here disrupting the community.

Suggestion: add to the database spark plugs that have been tried and DON'T work. That way when I search "AC Delco", my answer will actually pop up.

I come to forums to look for answers and provide them if I know the answer. I like to try to be helpful to the community and try not be a tool about it. I try to stick to facts and have evidence to back up my claims. Anyway I think if you're really trying to push a platform, it might be more effective if you had a solid helpful & supportive base, not one that constantly ridicules and pokes fun at the "Brownies".

BTW, I noticed you're from Oceanside.. I grew up there and went to Oceanside High.... a long time ago..

Well we do, it's called the search button and stickies. Our forum is very well organized.. You need to look at it and you will understand better.

We will always fuck with brownies. Don't take it personal, it's apart of the hazing phase.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haltech For This Useful Post:
silvapain (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #35

ms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the worldms3rick is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,348 Times in 986 Posts
Groans: 17
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Google. "site:maxdaspeedforums.org your search here"

Sent from my dizzLe using RaWr powers!

E85(25%) - Stratified DynoJet - 307//357
PowerMods: AccessPort*STRATIFIED*; AutoTech FP internals;Corksport SRI//TIP; CorkSport Test Pipe
Suspension: H&R springs//Sensen Mazda5 struts; TB Performance TractionBar//Trunk Brace
Brakes: CorkSport Pads; Centric Blanks

Other: UltraGaugeEM; JBR 88D Rmm; JBR SSP//Bushings; EGR unplug;CF 3m vinal on trim in side car

Official 60-100mph Times
Official Video battles
Official Youtube Channels

Originally Posted by silvapain
[10:53 AM] silvapain: I grow facial hair faster than Haltech extorts your moniez.

:-( 2014 - Dodge Dart.. (Blue Turtle)
ms3rick is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #36

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,753 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You don't much get sarcasm, do you?

MSF is full of that kind of detailed information. Your question, and very likely the next several questions you're going to have, have been asked & answered. Learn to search, or learn the links to other forums because the path you're on now only leads to ridicule.

Here's an example- if you had asked the following:
"I've looked over the spark plug info I can find, and am wondering if I am better off with a gap of .028, with the mods in my sig & using spark plug brand x, or will I see benefits by going tighter, like .025?"

Requesting clarity on a point, rather than illustrating ignorance and a lack of respect for your car & the forum. We would have happily spent the same number of posts discussing the benefits of gap and whats best for your needs, till we finally settled on something.

Instead, we spent it poking fun at you.

Treat this place like a reference source first, searching & digesting available information. Then ask questions if you still need assistance.

spark plug gap site:mazdaspeedforums.org
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
3Gee Tee (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #37
v8 convert

p057 has disabled reputation
Thanked 2,125 Times in 819 Posts
Groans: 220
Groaned at 70 Times in 50 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You know what, stop asking 'tards to donate.
just makes a dumb ass threads 50 posts long instead of 2 with one of the answers "it's been covered multiple times, search for it" and then the thread closed.

the FAQs need to be updated too
 Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #38

lito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the worldlito37 is the leader of the world
Groans: 7
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

ngk/denso they are the same !!!! is like saying motorcraft or autolite.
lito37 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #39

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
You don't much get sarcasm, do you?

MSF is full of that kind of detailed information. Your question, and very likely the next several questions you're going to have, have been asked & answered. Learn to search, or learn the links to other forums because the path you're on now only leads to ridicule.

Here's an example- if you had asked the following:
"I've looked over the spark plug info I can find, and am wondering if I am better off with a gap of .028, with the mods in my sig & using spark plug brand x, or will I see benefits by going tighter, like .025?"

Requesting clarity on a point, rather than illustrating ignorance and a lack of respect for your car & the forum. We would have happily spent the same number of posts discussing the benefits of gap and whats best for your needs, till we finally settled on something.

Instead, we spent it poking fun at you.

Treat this place like a reference source first, searching & digesting available information. Then ask questions if you still need assistance.

spark plug gap site:mazdaspeedforums.org
Come on now... I've owned this car since 2007, so 5 years now. You don't think that I've just come here, searched and found the answer I'm looking for and left without starting a thread?

Anyway, how could I have asked the question like your example if I didn't know if the gap was plug/brand specific or motor specific as I posed in the first post?

"illustrating ignorance and a lack of respect for your car & the forum"... love that line!
 Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #40

Deldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,323 Posts
Groans: 118
Groaned at 44 Times in 34 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Come on now... I've owned this car since 2007, so 5 years now. You don't think that I've just come here, searched and found the answer I'm looking for and left without starting a thread?

Anyway, how could I have asked the question like your example if I didn't know if the gap was plug/brand specific or motor specific as I posed in the first post?

"illustrating ignorance and a lack of respect for your car & the forum"... love that line!
Listen if you have been a car guy that long owned a mazdaspeed for 5 years you should have already known this. I have only owned my speed since febuary and i knew within the first 3 or 4 days of being on MSF what i should cap my plugs to. Any self respecting car enthusiast should know to gap there plugs to the engines specs.

/thread

Deldran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deldran For This Useful Post:
3Gee Tee (09-13-2012), fivefingerdeathpunch (09-11-2012)