register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree10Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #41

Hapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Deldran View Post
Listen if you have been a car guy that long owned a mazdaspeed for 5 years you should have already known this. I have only owned my speed since febuary and i knew within the first 3 or 4 days of being on MSF what i should cap my plugs to. Any self respecting car enthusiast should know to gap there plugs to the engines specs.

/thread

I've actually been a car guy for longer than that and have always gapped according to the spark plug manufacturers spec (which happened to be wrong in this instance).
2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 with Hypertech tune, BEGi intake, Racing Beat exhaust, eBay test pipe (formerly had SU), DDM 55w HID, 225/45/18 Hankook V12s on stock wheels (Street), 225/45/17 Federal 595RS-R on MX-5 17x7.5" wheels (Track) or 225/40/18 Nitto NT-01s on stock wheels (track set#2), Hawk HPS pads F&R(Street), Carbotech XP10 F (Track), GT3 brake deflectors (track), NGK LTR7IX-11
Hapa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #42

Deldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,323 Posts
Groans: 118
Groaned at 44 Times in 34 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Hapa88 View Post
I've actually been a car guy for longer than that and have always gapped according to the spark plug manufacturers spec (which happened to be wrong in this instance).
It is wrong in every instance, spark plug manufactures make there plugs to fit many different makes, models and engines. They are not going to make a whole different part number for each different motor. Brownies will brown i guess.

Deldran is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #43
Eatin' Your Tuna

Haltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the worldHaltech is the leader of the world
Thanked 41,994 Times in 8,188 Posts
Groans: 244
Groaned at 329 Times in 243 Posts

Ok...

There is two ways you can go here...

You can leave this car stock, gap the plugs at stock requirements and go hangout on mazdas247.com

Or...

You can stop trying to argue with us, while curbing your half shitty attempt at being sarcastic... in return, learn about this car and make it fast.

if you want to remain stock, this is NOT the forum for you.
TiGraySpeed6 and ms3rick like this.

Originally Posted by Mazda3Revolution
An intro thread on MSF is like your first day at a State Corrections facility. "Your gonna get tested".
MSF -The HARDCORE Of Mazda High Performance Tech!
Flex Limited Ecoboost - Not Stock

Gen1 MS3 - COBB FMIC V2.0 | COBB SRI | COBB AP Stage 2 W/MSF_V1.08y | COBB 3" Downpipe | COBB CBE | Devil's Own Stage 2 Meth Injection | AST 4300 Coilovers | Haltech Fuel Pump Internals | Rota Torque 18x8 w/ 235/40/18 | ACT 6 PUCK Sprung/Streetlite
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Haltech For This Useful Post:
aanguia1 (09-11-2012), Chimmike (09-11-2012), Deldran (09-11-2012), ms3rick (09-11-2012), smoogs12 (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #44

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Thanked 19,667 Times in 5,045 Posts
Groans: 136
Groaned at 47 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I stick my cock between the electrode and ground strap and use that to gap
My plugs.

Then I fire up the car with my cock still in the plug. It makes it feel all tingly.

Tapadatass
Deldran (09-11-2012), lilred (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #45

lilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,690 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by silvapain View Post
My plugs.

Then I fire up the car with my cock still in the plug. It makes it feel all tingly.

Tapadatass
I would assume your cock isn't motor specific?
I don't like using mine ever since I found the gap it :/ haha

tapafuck
JBR SSP/bushings
JBR RMM
JBR tigs/ egr delete/ coolant bypass
JBR stage 2 OCC
CS test pipe
Turbosmart BPV (stocker currently on)
SS lines/super blue/stoptech pads

I've heard that modding MAZDASPEEDs is an STD...
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #46

silvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the worldsilvapain is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by lilred View Post
I would assume your cock isn't motor specific?
I don't like using mine ever since I found the gap it :/ haha

tapafuck
Not at all. I'll stick my cock in any motor. I'm not picky.

Tapadatass
Deldran (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #47

lilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the worldlilred is the leader of the world
Thanked 8,690 Times in 3,186 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 17 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tapadatass
Get your cock out my Chrysler!

tapafuck
JBR SSP/bushings
JBR RMM
JBR tigs/ egr delete/ coolant bypass
JBR stage 2 OCC
CS test pipe
Turbosmart BPV (stocker currently on)
SS lines/super blue/stoptech pads

I've heard that modding MAZDASPEEDs is an STD...
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilred For This Useful Post:
Deldran (09-11-2012), Ryguy (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #48

jjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the worldjjfam1 is the leader of the world
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Tapadatass
My neighbor has a Prius just waiting for you
jjfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjfam1 For This Useful Post:
Deldran (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #49

Hapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to beholdHapa88 is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

My plugs.

So you're saying your cock runs 0.028"?

Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
Ok...

There is two ways you can go here...

You can leave this car stock, gap the plugs at stock requirements and go hangout on mazdas247.com

Or...

You can stop trying to argue with us, while curbing your half shitty attempt at being sarcastic... in return, learn about this car and make it fast.

if you want to remain stock, this is NOT the forum for you.
Where did you get that my car is stock? I'll update my sig with my mods.... Anyway, the car is fast and I track it regularly to prove it.
2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 with Hypertech tune, BEGi intake, Racing Beat exhaust, eBay test pipe (formerly had SU), DDM 55w HID, 225/45/18 Hankook V12s on stock wheels (Street), 225/45/17 Federal 595RS-R on MX-5 17x7.5" wheels (Track) or 225/40/18 Nitto NT-01s on stock wheels (track set#2), Hawk HPS pads F&R(Street), Carbotech XP10 F (Track), GT3 brake deflectors (track), NGK LTR7IX-11

Last edited by Hapa88; 09-11-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #50

Deldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the worldDeldran is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,323 Posts
Groans: 118
Groaned at 44 Times in 34 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wow someone has the best comebacks ever lol, your sense of humor sucks. i wouldnt dis the bearded ones cock consequenes can be dire

Deldran is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #51

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Deldran View Post
wow someone has the best comebacks ever lol, your sense of humor sucks. i wouldnt dis the bearded ones cock consequenes can be dire
Not trying to make a comeback, just trying to clarify what's being discussed.
 Old 09-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #52

Not Ranked  0 score     

It sounds much more impressive in metric.

Tapadatass
 Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #53

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

It sounds much more impressive in metric.

Tapadatass
No doubt
 Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #54

the public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the worldthe public enemy is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 12 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

@Hapa88 You know what's funny is a year ago I wasn't even a member here and googled spark plug gap mazdaspeed 6 and this site popped up with @Haltech's spark plug database. Then I knew I was in love with this forum. Information at a search. I joined shortly after my schooling in Virginia and donated. That never happened in other platforms, you had to ask idiot questions or listen to a parts store guy. Don't get me wrong, I know ONE advanced auto guy who worked as a tech for BMW so I'll take his word into consideration here and there but never have I not found an answer on this forum.

For your comment of sarcasm regarding the forums conduct, while brown, I hope you suffer a million years of flame and never live to see a day where I respect anything you say. Eat shit.
TiGraySpeed6 likes this.

"A life lived at half throttle is a life half lived."

Pulling like a freight train whilst sounding like a tractor.

Last edited by the public enemy; 09-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.
the public enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the public enemy For This Useful Post:
Keko (09-24-2012), TiGraySpeed6 (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #55

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,753 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

might be potential yet.....

just a heads up- your ngk's will come set at .044. you'll want to knock them down to .028 for your mods. That's a big change, so expect even less than usual life span, even from your HT tune. Maybe 15K miles at best. /maybe/ 20k if your gentle...
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq

Last edited by TiGraySpeed6; 09-11-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: correct mileage
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
Hapa88 (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #56

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
might be potential yet.....

just a heads up- your ngk's will come set at .044. you'll want to knock them down to .028 for your mods. That's a big change, so expect even less than usual life span, even from your HT tune. Maybe 15K miles at best. /maybe/ 20k if your gentle...
Thanks, the AC Delco ones came gapped at ~0.044", but I opened them up to what their website stated for the MS3 Turbo motor of 0.052" but I guess I know now not to trust them... llooks like it's just a misprint/copy from the standard N/A 2.3L motor.
 Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #57

TiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the worldTiGraySpeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,753 Times in 2,278 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

oh, I know they did. you actually opening them even more is what makes it soo funny...
Was a Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Now in a BMW 135i - double the turbos, double the fun!
E82.N54 2009 / BSM / A/T / Drop-in / PR CP / Berk Street / MHD / xHP
340hp / 371tq
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #58

tddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the worldtddvrrn is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,184 Posts
Groans: 103
Groaned at 86 Times in 55 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for that. I was trying to get everything together and went to 4 different shops (1 Autozone, 1 Oriley, & 2 Pep Boys) looking for NGKs and no one had them (nor the Densos).

So would you think that just about any plug referenced to fit the MS3 should be gapped to .028 to .032? (I see some people running Autolites too)
listen, i don't have time to read this whole thread, so i'm sorry if i'm repeating info..

you will need to measure and gap any plugs you buy. some will be gapped correctly, some will need to be adjusted. but you should always measure to make sure. the gap your car needs is determined by the stock gap size as well as your mods. correct gap is car dependent, not plug dependent.

use feeler gauges from an autoparts store to measure gap. do not use normal spark plug gauge to measure or adjust. with the iridiums, you never want to touch the tip, only touch the strap. which means, if you need to widen the gap, you need to only pull up on the strap, not pry it up from the electrode. if this is confusing, do more research and then ask more questions. good luck!
2008 ms3 mit: hypertech tune, pg sri, corksport tip, jbr(80 tmm, 88 rmm, 80 pmm), jbarone bushings + heavy shift knob, diy sts, sure ssp, sensen shocks, jbr rsb, ford transfluid, aura 5 channel amp, jbl gt speakers, 6" bazooka sub, diy mudflaps, DDM 3000k HID fog kit, 6000k lows
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tddvrrn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tddvrrn For This Useful Post:
Hapa88 (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #59

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by tddvrrn View Post
correct gap is car dependent, not plug dependent.
Thank you for the helpful post, but I knew everything else you said except for this one part! This is all I was really looking for from the beginning.

Sounds like theoretically I could regap the plugs I have and it'll probably run a whole lot better (even though I'll just replace them with the NGKs if I'm going through the trouble).

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
oh, I know they did. you actually opening them even more is what makes it soo funny...
Yeah, I'm a I guess I'm just a gap noob.
But at least I basically admitted that in the beginning..

Last edited by Hapa88; 09-11-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to Hapa88 For This Useful Post:
tddvrrn (09-11-2012)
 Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #60

blackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the worldblackrs99 is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

LOL @ listing spark plug part #s in your mod list.

I'm surprised this car hasn't gone zoom zoom boom yet.....motor or plug specific.....you have to be shitting me...

::: Cobb AP ::: HTP 3" Full Intake ::: Ebay DP ::: CNT CBE ::: JBR Triology ::: JBR SSP ::: JBR RSB ::: CS TMIC ::: MSD Dashhawk ::: White PC RX-8 Wheels wrapped in Continental DWS 225-40-18 :::

::: DIZZY TUNED by Boost_creep :::
blackrs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #61

theurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the worldtheurgy is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,128 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 28 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So I'm not one to haze on brownies here,
You started out by making a decision that you should install spark plugs and went the easy route and picked them up at your local shop.
They didn't have the NGK's you had heard about and since you had a bad experience with your "NSX" you opted to stay away from Denso's.

But you read the information about platinum tipped iridium plugs and heard what you wanted to hear which is "blah blah blah.. platinum ..blah" and so that means, platinum spark plugs are A-OK.

You get some cheap AC Delco plugs which are NOT listed in our database for a reason.
Next you trust the spark plug gapping form the manufacturer (fine... I get it) BUT the gapping is the same for EVERY single post when asked on this forum. It's a well known gap.

But you heard what you wanted to hear.

This is why we get pissed off, read, understand, look beyond spoon fed answers.
Hell, look up how spark plugs work and the differences between the metals used and what the difference in gaps actually mean.

Just that research would have answered your question.
BNR s3, CoolingMist CMGS Meth, Damond TB Plate, JBR FMIC Undermount w/ TR8, JBR 3" Fullpath, Steedspeed EM, Cobb AP v3, Stratified Tuned, Autotech HPFP Internals, CP-e Catted Downpipe, Port and Polished IM with VTCS & Full EGR Delete, Grimmspeed EBCS, 3 BAR MAP Sensor, Turbosmart Dual-port BPV, Koni Sport Yellows, Eibach Prokits, SPC Camber Arms, Cobb FSB and RSB, AWR Front Endlinks, JBR Trilogy Mounts 70a Duro, KX-F3 Full Chassis Braces, Denso Iridium ITV-22, CP-e Safe Seals, SURE TIG IM and TB, Cobb Shift Weight, TWM SS w/Bushings and Specter Hybrid knob.

To be installed: SS Brake Lines.
theurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #62

breakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the worldbreakfstincluded is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,482 Posts
Groans: 261
Groaned at 20 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just went from ITV-22's to NGK's getting ready for a pro tune.

NGK's were definitly all around 40 gap.

This was the first time I've ever gapped plugs, so the first one was a bit of a guinea pig.

I tried using a gapper tool to close the gap, but the tool kept bending, it was a coin shaped closed wire one with a metal tab for gapping.

I had previously thought the method of tapping the strap to close the gap was a bit sketchy, but I did that on the remaining 3 and I liked that a lot more.

The guinea pig plug was marred on the top of the strap from the gapper tool, so I OCD bought another single NGK to replace it and do it right.

Just my very recent experience if it helps anyone.

It doesn't look like there's any precious iridum on the strap, but I've been told tapping the strap instead of using a gapper tool preserves the iridium coating. Perhaps those people are just reducing the chance of touching the iridium tip, I didn't wanna take any chances. The strap doesn't look like it has particularly precious metals on the inside though.

breakfstincluded is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #63

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by blackrs99 View Post

I'm surprised this car hasn't gone zoom zoom boom yet.....motor or plug specific.....you have to be shitting me...
Had to list them because no one reads the garage specs. Every thinks I'm "stock"... Anyway, at least I'm not running All Season tires with all those power mods.
You have to be shitting me, what a waste...
 Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #64

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by blackrs99 View Post

Originally Posted by theurgy View Post
But you read the information about platinum tipped iridium plugs and heard what you wanted to hear which is "blah blah blah.. platinum ..blah" and so that means, platinum spark plugs are A-OK.

You get some cheap AC Delco plugs which are NOT listed in our database for a reason.
What is that reason?
Cheap AC Delco? AC Delco plugs are made by NGK, Denso and Bosch..

Next you trust the spark plug gapping form the manufacturer (fine... I get it) BUT the gapping is the same for EVERY single post when asked on this forum. It's a well known gap.
Sorry, I missed that... I don't come here often.

But you heard what you wanted to hear.

This is why we get pissed off, read, understand, look beyond spoon fed answers.
Hell, look up how spark plugs work and the differences between the metals used and what the difference in gaps actually mean.

Just that research would have answered your question.
I know what gaps mean!! Read my question, it refers to gap's relation to spark plugs or motors!!! I know metals.
Anyway, I haven't seen an article written by any authority yet though about why platinum plugs are bad for turbos (there are tons of OEM turbo cars that ran Platinum plugs in the past, Porsche, Volvo, Supras). Anyway, most of it seems to be perpetuated hearsay on internet forums. If you've seen such an article, please feel free to link me to it.
Thanks!

Anyway, sorry for the late responses. Got the NGK LTR7IX-11s in, gapped at 0.028 and spent all day today at Buttonwillow Raceway "pushing the platform" and letting everyone know about the MS3 and showing them what it could do.
 Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #65

bluelizard88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Spark Plug Gap Change

Question:
Last weekend I did my spark plugs @ 80k miles. (last change was done @ 30k). Due to a cylinder misfire code.

Replaced with NGK Iridium, new ones gapped to 0.28" and installed to 15 ft lbs torque.

However, i also measured the ones that i removed, which were gapped to 0.28" and installed per above a few years ago. The gap on the ones that were removed ranged between 0.35-0.45".

I thought that was very interesting. Looked as if over time the metal got hot and maybe the gap increased? That's the only theory i have. Other than that they look like normal plugs, no mechanical damage, oil, or anything abnormal.

Thoughts? Others observed this?
bluelizard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #66

Db09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the worldDb09ms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 94
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I regapped mine after water entered my engine. Plug gaps were opened up over time. Mine had about 32k miles on them. So I believe it is normal.
 Old 10-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #67

SeanDeezzyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

In Hapa88's defense, I recently have got my first Mazdaspeed3, and no i'm not a new face in the tuner scence. Ive done several builds, turbo and N/a. I have never have had any issues with going to Autozone and telling them what my car profile is. Then walking out with a set of plugs of choice from their list of OE Direct Replacements. Now when i went to go get a set for my speed for the first time, I was presented with a short list of plugs from the cleark at vatozone. I just went with the same AC Delco plugs as Hapa88 did. Its very very missleading and hurts my OCD brain to have been recommended these plugs by a big retailer like that. When I went back home and looked on the Autozone website (autozone and orielys). Believe it or not, actually all the plugs listed for the speed3, are all plugs that aren't on the reccomended list that Corksport has or the list on this forum. So why the heck is Autozone giving such false info?? Hmm.. Well the natural thing to do would be to lean to lean towards the thought that the forum is most likely recommending plugs that arent OEM replacemnts, but are more then likely alternative plug choices that suit the MS3 on a performance standpoint. That being said... a performace standpoint is what I was personally after, as I'm a enthusiast and I then proceeded to quickly yank out the Delco junk, and popped in some NKG step colders. It truly is a honest mistake for a new guy. Maybe not someone 5 yrs deep into owning a speed3 but you see where im going with this. And no I have not refrenced my owners manual ever, because that's just not something a tech savy kinda guy does around here.
SeanDeezzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #68

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,029 Posts
Groans: 150
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Always better to use the gold mine data base on this board before taking parts store advice. Our car is a low volume limited edition variant of the MS3 or MS6 with many engine, drivetrain and other parts that are different. Big box parts stores simply never understood this.

Even the good one step colder NGK plugs (see below) are really for a totally different car and come with a huge gap that must be gapped down to .026”-.028”.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10+ years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote