register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By m4tic
  • 1 Post By Tabasco69

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #1

kunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the world
Groans: 56
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Car will not start

I was driving from Baltimore to NY last night and the car was running great, had to take a pit stop so I pulled over into a rest-stop in NJ, when I came back out to my car 5 minutes later the car would not start. It made absolutely no attempt to start, no cranking, no clicking, no anything. The lights all turned on but there was absolutely no activity coming from the engine bay. I tried multiple times to start it again over the course of 2 hours, finally 2 hours later it just magically starts like nothing ever happened.

This has happened twice before over the last 8ish months, but on those occasions it only gave me 5 minutes of aggravation.

So what do you think the deal is? Thanks for the help
 Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #2

TRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the worldTRex is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,381 Posts
Groans: 20
Groaned at 106 Times in 69 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

wet maf?
TRex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

Scribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the worldScribbles is the leader of the world
Groans: 21
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

My shit does this too. So you can turn the key all the way and the power goes on, but there's no activity of the engine even trying to start. I usually put the key in, wait abit, then crank it and it works fine. Sometimes it takes a few tries
Built motor with K1 rods/wesico pistons, ATP 3076r, SS Mani, ATP DP, Cobb FMIC V2, CPE FP, TurboSmart MBC, TurboSmart Dual Port BOV, Hotchkis RSB FSB, BC Coilovers, AP, Dashhawk, Trilogy JBR 88 duro's, JBR catch can, Guardian Angel
Perm
Scribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbles For This Useful Post:
kunfu (12-08-2011)
 Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

dadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond reputedadderllama has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think it is just NJ.... did u get gas too? Im in NJ for work and my work truck runs like shit on nj gas (from multiple stations)... never wants to start, runs like shit and stalls out (its an automatic). BUT ON THE PLUS SIDE IM FLYING HOME TODAY AND GET TO DRIVE MY BABY ONCE AGAIN!!!!!
CS LED kit, Aux input, Sure TIP, Sure SRI v2, Sure RMM, Turbosmart BPV, IVT22's, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone SSP v2 and counterweight, H&R Drop Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Cobb AP, Sure M6, Sure Juggernaught, Sure Dreadnaught, Whiteline RSB, DSS axle, AT internals, Sure Charge Tubes. Currently getting DIZZY tuned!
dadderllama is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,013 Times in 1,767 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

crappy/dirty battery terminals... take a wire brush to the cables and battery posts.. electric grease them too
Atlanta likes this.

//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Tabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the worldTabasco69 is the leader of the world
Groans: 13
Groaned at 24 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Had this happen before, turned out to be a glitchy "immobilizer" bullshit mazda incorporated as anti theft device, if it doesn't even try to turn over, you do not hear any selenoid clicking and the little red key symbol goes nuts in the gauge cluster....it is the "IMOBILIZER".....glently tap the wire socket going to the ecm....other then that prepare to get raped by the stealership.
tymoto21 likes this.
Tabasco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tabasco69 For This Useful Post:
kunfu (12-08-2011)
 Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #7

kunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the worldkunfu is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Tabasco69 View Post
Had this happen before, turned out to be a glitchy "immobilizer" bullshit mazda incorporated as anti theft device, if it doesn't even try to turn over, you do not hear any selenoid clicking and the little red key symbol goes nuts in the gauge cluster....it is the "IMOBILIZER".....glently tap the wire socket going to the ecm....other then that prepare to get raped by the stealership.
So far this sounds like the most likely. Crappy gas and wet maff seem unlikely since it makes no attempt at all at turning over, and teh solenoid does not click.
 Old 12-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

TWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the worldTWOptSL0W is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,586 Posts
Groans: 125
Groaned at 84 Times in 50 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

check battery terminals and also, your power clip on the starter might not be getting a connection. wiggle it
TWOptSL0W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TWOptSL0W For This Useful Post:
themytb (12-15-2011)
 Old 12-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #9

ms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to all
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by bmorrisj View Post
crappy/dirty battery terminals... take a wire brush to the cables and battery posts.. electric grease them too
werd. Used to happen to me and Id get pissed thinking the car had major issues. Nope just clean the terminals and make sure everything is tight and snug.
ms6_ward is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ms6_ward View Post
werd. Used to happen to me and Id get pissed thinking the car had major issues. Nope just clean the terminals and make sure everything is tight and snug.
If this was the case why do the lights still turn on and all of the other electrical systems?
 Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

cesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the worldcesaros is the leader of the world
Groans: 106
Groaned at 53 Times in 41 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Could be the switch in the clutch pedal that prevents engine from starting when clutch is out.

Might be worth checking out.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cesaros For This Useful Post:
kunfu (12-22-2011)
 Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

kabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the worldkabobulate is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,027 Times in 390 Posts
Groans: 22
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had this exact issue that plagued me for a few months. Stealership said it was common to have corrosion on the cable that runs up to the starter, but mine was fine. I cleaned the hell out of my terminals and put grease on them, but it didn't help either. I found that if I jiggled the cable that runs from the battery to the fuse box that I could duplicate it, so I replaced it with a length of battery cable from Advance Auto. It's a pretty big cable and didn't really look messed up when I took it out... but my car has been perfect ever since.

Btw, if you try to buy this cable from the dealership it is like $130, and a 2ft length of it from Advanced was about $7.
2012 CWP MS3: Tuned by Phate - 50/50 E85 | Cobb AP | SURE Intake, TIP | Corksport Racepipe, TMM Inserts | ITV22's | AT Intl's | ACT Sprung 6Puck & Prolite Flywheel | CP-E Stg2 RMM | JBR SSB, EGR Plate
2008 Silver MS3: Sold
kabobulate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kabobulate For This Useful Post:
kunfu (12-09-2011)
 Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #13

vincent1010 is a glorious beacon of lightvincent1010 is a glorious beacon of lightvincent1010 is a glorious beacon of lightvincent1010 is a glorious beacon of lightvincent1010 is a glorious beacon of lightvincent1010 is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 1
Groaned at 20 Times in 4 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

I love how evey single person on this forum thinks they know everything and anything about mods and tuning... People sit here and talk all this nonsense but when a member cant even start his car, only 11 people comment and chime in!! See something wrong there , i do
vincent1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say NO Thank You to vincent1010 For This Un-useful Post:
ABSpeed3 (12-14-2011), Black Metal (12-16-2011), BobbleHead (12-10-2011), Boost Addict (12-09-2011), Don06speed6 (12-15-2011), Easter Bunny (12-14-2011), JmkC (12-15-2011), kabobulate (12-09-2011), Raider (12-14-2011), themytb (12-15-2011)
 Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #14

Boost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the worldBoost Addict is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,591 Times in 505 Posts
Groans: 41
Groaned at 50 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by vincent1010 View Post
I love how evey single person on this forum thinks they know everything and anything about mods and tuning... People sit here and talk all this nonsense but when a member cant even start his car, only 11 people comment and chime in!! See something wrong there , i do
And your worthless post isnt helping either. People have been suggesting plenty of good ideas for a fix for this. You can only take so much advice at once, too much and you'll be overwhelmed, and have no idea where to start.
2008.5 BM MS3 // Cobb AP V3// JBR 3.5" WP Full Intake // CXRacing Piping/Godspeed Core // CNT 3" Catted Downpipe // Custom 3" CBE // KMD v2.1 Fuel Pump Internals // Turbosmart Dual Port BOV // Airlift Suspension // Corksport Skid Plate // JBR 88Duro Dogbone RMM // JBR SSP // SURE AGS Knob // Denso ITV22 // STACK Boost Gauge // DDM 6k Low HID's // CP-e Towplate // 15% Tint // 18x10 Blitz Type 03

FREEKTUNE
Boost Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
Two nuns and a pack mule

AtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the worldAtTheDriveIn is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I wouldn't overlook the starter itself if you've tried everything else these guys mentioned. Some times the solenoids go bad. I know they've gone a long way since the 70s but still. Sometimes they can get stuck.
 Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #16

m4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the worldm4tic is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,013 Times in 1,767 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kunfu View Post
If this was the case why do the lights still turn on and all of the other electrical systems?
this happened to me so many times... go to the gas station, stop the engine, get gas, try to start the engine, nothing happens and all my electrical turns off and my cluster needles start wigging out. then my lights slowly come on and stay dim.

all i did was clean the terminals and it just stopped. actually i replaced the neg cable with a $6 cable from oreileys

Originally Posted by Wiki
Corrosion at the battery terminals can prevent a car from starting due to electrical resistance. The white powder sometimes found around the battery terminals is usually lead sulfate which is toxic by inhalation, ingestion and skin contact. The corrosion is caused by an imperfect seal between the plastic battery case and lead battery post allowing sulfuric acid to react with the lead battery posts. The corrosion process is also expedited by over charging. Corrosion can also be caused by factors such as salt water, dirt, heat, humidity, cracks in the battery casing or loose battery terminals. Inspection, cleaning and protection with a light coating of dielectric grease are measures used to prevent corrosion of battery terminals.

//2014 Mustang GT// Brembos - Bob's Can - SCT X4 - MGW - GT500 Quad-tip Axle back - Vorshlag Street Pro - Ford K Springs - BMR PHB

2007 MS6 w/ Cheez

// COBB V3 // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
m4tic is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
2zz mr-s

dooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the worlddooderek is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,647 Times in 1,903 Posts
Groans: 239
Groaned at 352 Times in 214 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i burnt my one of my ign fuses, same problem
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the second rule is "don't tell anyone"
[07:25 PM] Pu Manchu: the first rule of tranny fucking is "don't do it"
dooderek is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #18

vbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the worldvbt101 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So - this same exact thing used to happen to me all the time. There is a spade connector that goes to where the starter is right below the intake mani/in front of the oil cooler (the "Terminal S Connector" in this screenshot).

This didn't get corroded, but it got coated with oil/grease just from its location. I tried cleaning it out with sandpaper, but that didn't turn out to be a reliable fix. The simple solution was to just cut off the connector and replaced it with another generic insulated spade connector.

My spade connector doesn't "click" in like the stock one, but it is pressure fit on there well enough that its more reliable than the stock one. If this is your prob too, it's easy to get to from under the car with just taking the belly pan off.
vbt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vbt101 For This Useful Post:
Jh8909 (12-15-2011), kunfu (12-14-2011), themytb (12-15-2011)
 Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #19
patrick failman

karl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the worldkarl-hungus is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,185 Posts
Groans: 74
Groaned at 55 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i had the corroded starter solenoid wire (power to everything but it wouldn't start with no starter relay click) and the stealership was nice enough to clean it for $100.

the paper clip trick in the clutch switch worked for awhile as it eliminated enough resistance to start her.
2012 ingot silver mustang gt w/ 6 speed, 3.73 rear end, bama 93 tune, cat deletes, boss 302 oil cooler, roush cai, dynotech aluminum driveshaft, ford racing strut tower brace, dampers & springs, boss 302 sway bars, gt500 strut mounts, lower control arms & axle backs, j&m adjustable panhard bar, steeda upper control arm & 3 point braces, jlt catch can, barton short shifter & shift bracket
karl-hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karl-hungus For This Useful Post:
kunfu (12-14-2011), vbt101 (12-09-2011)
 Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

lots of good info here. I guess I will start working through all of these, starting with the easiest.
 Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #21
6 mods and some Kool-Aid

Raider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the worldRaider is the leader of the world
Thanked 57,008 Times in 14,590 Posts
Groans: 856
Groaned at 183 Times in 156 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a battery with a bad cell refuse to start, try try try start. Then be fine for weeks. POS Optima. Tested, failed, swapped, all was well.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by vincent1010 View Post
Thanks for the concern but 11 people on this forum is probably enough to solve any problem. Oh and fuck off.

Originally Posted by vbt101 View Post
So - this same exact thing used to happen to me all the time. There is a spade connector that goes to where the starter is right below the intake mani/in front of the oil cooler (the "Terminal S Connector" in this screenshot).

This didn't get corroded, but it got coated with oil/grease just from its location. I tried cleaning it out with sandpaper, but that didn't turn out to be a reliable fix. The simple solution was to just cut off the connector and replaced it with another generic insulated spade connector.

My spade connector doesn't "click" in like the stock one, but it is pressure fit on there well enough that its more reliable than the stock one. If this is your prob too, it's easy to get to from under the car with just taking the belly pan off.
90% sure this/was the problem. It makes sense, it would describe the symptoms my car had. Although I see how some of the other solutions could also be it.
 Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #23

ms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to allms6_ward is a name known to all
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hows the car man did you get it fixed?
ms6_ward is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #24