register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #1

Speedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default EGR delete/VCTS delete codes

I had John port my intake, and o VCTS delete and EGT delete. When I had it done, John said that his methodology of the EGT delete wouldn't throw a code, but, later said that sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Well, the intake work threw CELs for me. I've been out of town a lot since it was done, so, I just haven't messed with it, but, my car is way overdue for inspection, so, I went to get my car inspected. :-(

John said that all I needed to do was clear the code at the inspection station and I would be fine. So, that was what I did, I cleared the code, CEL went away, and hoped for the best.

Car failed. The OBD showed "not ready" for lots of tests: Catalyst, Evap, O2 Sensor, EGR. The inspector said I must have recently removed the battery and I should drive it for 100 miles and come back. No, I hadn't recently removed the battery, so it seems likely that the clearing the codes (using a Dashhawk) also set the "not ready" state. Is this normal? I kinda suspect it is. And if so, that would mean John gave me bad info on what to do.

I only got one code number. I don't know why it had all those systems as "not ready" if only one code was thrown. I wrote it down, but, I left the page at home. I'll check and report back. I think I remember 4301, but, I can't swear to it.

At least for some codes, people have found tricks to bypass the code. Any such luck for the EGR?

I don't yet have a AP. I have plans on getting one, but, had been planning on waiting until either PTP or somebody else finds the "proper" solution tot he PCV issue. But, I could go ahead and buy it now, particularly if it can prevent the EGR code without setting "not ready". Any info on this?
Speedie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #2

corsa is a glorious beacon of lightcorsa is a glorious beacon of lightcorsa is a glorious beacon of lightcorsa is a glorious beacon of lightcorsa is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yup the dashawk will clear EVERYTHING including the histories for things like the evap & egr function. These aren't tested at the insp but the ecu tells the smog computer that they have been working ok when it does it's random self tests. It's not a problem, just drive it for at least 100 miles or so after you clear preferably hwy miles (actually took me almost 200) and go back to the Insp Station. As long as no codes came on in that time you cool! Worked for me 2 yrs in a row.
corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #3

Speedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by corsa View Post
Yup the dashawk will clear EVERYTHING including the histories for things like the evap & egr function. These aren't tested at the insp but the ecu tells the smog computer that they have been working ok when it does it's random self tests. It's not a problem, just drive it for at least 100 miles or so after you clear preferably hwy miles (actually took me almost 200) and go back to the Insp Station. As long as no codes came on in that time you cool! Worked for me 2 yrs in a row.
Thanks. But, wouldn't the codes I'm getting probably come back in that time? I talked to John and he claims the AP EGR disable function will actually work.
 Old 07-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #4

QuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to beholdQuickSpool is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 1
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It will. PM me if you need an AP, I have one to sell for a good deal.
QuickSpool is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by corsa View Post
Doesn't work for me for the EGR code. I'm getting the infamous P0401. I live in Houston and had a business trip in Louisiana. On my way out, I cleared the code. Drove 150 miles or so, shut off the engine, started it again. About 3 minutes after the restart, P0401 came back. I repeated the experiment on the way home with same results.

John claimed the ECU is designed to not throw the code until after a couple of restarts. Not true, not on my car anyway. One restart after the 100 miles is all it took.

After seeing my intake manifold and entire intake system, I agree, our cars need to kill that damn EGR. But, if I had known the ramifications on the CEL, I would have gone with a reversable, like the one Whoosh has been selling. I don't have John's plug, I had mine EGR welded by John. So reversing my EGR delete isn't possible. Well, unless I want to buy another manifold just for inspection use! I guess that would make it reversable! But, practically speaking, my EGR delete isn't reversable. John assured me that his the CEL would be no problem with inspection, and so I went with his weld-up job.

I've thought of an idea that *might* work, but, its really iffy. I already took it to the inspection station per John's idea, and it failed. (Thanks for the bad info, John!) But, they've done everything but the emissions and would just need to retest it. So, *maybe*, I could clear the code, drive 100-200 miles and never turn off the engine, go to the inpection place, and give it to them with the engine running. If they manage to accept it that way and never shut off the engine, that might do it.

Otherwise, I'll have to buy an AP. I've been planning on doing that anyway. I guess it is time.
 Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
rabble rabble

802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world802MS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,083 Posts
Groans: 221
Groaned at 103 Times in 56 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

that sucks dude. as far as I know/heard, it isn't possible yet to get rid of that code. Even with the AP, you try to delete the code, but it still turns the light on, but the code is blank. I'm not sure if the inspection guy would let you go or not with the light on.
 Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yeah, I've heard about the AP issue where the code is gone but the light stays on. So, you pull the bulb on the light I guess. I wish someone would come up with a cheater. I don't have any other codes. The VCTS delete isn't throwing any codes. So, if I could just kill this one, I'd be clear.
 Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #8

whoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the worldwhoosh@Realtune is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,564 Times in 510 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 39 Times in 23 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Speedie6 View Post
Yeah, I've heard about the AP issue where the code is gone but the light stays on. So, you pull the bulb on the light I guess. I wish someone would come up with a cheater. I don't have any other codes. The VCTS delete isn't throwing any codes. So, if I could just kill this one, I'd be clear.
PM sent

2008 Caliber SRT4 / 11.8 @ 120
whoosh@Realtune is offline   Reply With Quote