register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

shawnmos is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Unhappy Excessive engine breaking/jerking when letting off throttle.

So this may just be a coincidence but I recently had the VVT replaced by the dealer and now I am noticing excessive engine braking when I let off the gas, to the point that the car feels like it's jerking.

Now, manual cars normally do this a bit, especially in the lower gears but it's now noticeable it in 3rd and 4th gear as well.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this? I'm thinking vacuum leak that may or may not have been caused by them disassembling a bunch of stuff, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with them not adjusting the timing correctly when they replaced the chain.

Another possibility is that it's excessive drag caused by the AC compressor. I added some more R134a and overfilled it a bit. I let some back out, but it's possible it could still be overfilled. However, the problem should go away when I turn off the compressor but it does not.

Thoughts?

Last edited by shawnmos; 08-01-2019 at 07:13 AM.
shawnmos is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

Reds3 is a jewel in the roughReds3 is a jewel in the roughReds3 is a jewel in the roughReds3 is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

How are your engine mounts?

Also if you had a vacuum leak you should be able to see a difference in your fuel trims on your AP, assuming you have an AP or some kind of data logging device hooked up.
 Old 07-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #3

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

just ac compressor turning on and off could make some drag but you can easily turn it off just to compare if it is that...

When i drove my skyactive 3, i switch AC off to pass a car and for a low power engine, it makes a difference....

btw have you added petrolum equivalent r134 or real r134 ? I'm curious because in here, we need a special licence to manipulate freon but not the small petrolum products replacement in can....And some specify to use just half or 40% of the freon weight needed....

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Engine breaking is called ZZB.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #5

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,015 Posts
Groans: 146
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Ha ha. OP probably does not even know why this is funny. Spelling must not be a high priority. I'm not the grammar and spelling police. We all make mistakes, but that was funny.

As to why his engine braking may be excessive, there are lots of possible explanations. I'd lean toward exploring engine and transmission mounts first. These cars are getting a lot of age and miles on them. Fixing one thing, especially if it increases or restores lost power, can reveal other problems that were latent. An abrupt movement of the engine and transmission when letting up on the gas may be causing this sensation. That points to one or more bad engine or transmission mounts.

Also, if the ac solenoid clutch is sticking so that the ac compressor is turning all the time, even when it is turned "off" this could, indeed, put a heavy load on the belts, pulleys and introduce a lot of drag to the engine. That would stress weak engine/transmission mounts. It will also burn out the compressor. OP should look and see if the compressor is turning when the ac is switched off. It should stop when off, and resume when turned on. That is visible.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Doh

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
btw have you added petrolum equivalent r134 or real r134 ? I'm curious because in here, we need a special licence to manipulate freon but not the small petrolum products replacement in can....And some specify to use just half or 40% of the freon weight needed....
I assumed it was real r134 but it came in a can so maybe not?
Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
As to why his engine braking may be excessive, there are lots of possible explanations. I'd lean toward exploring engine and transmission mounts first. These cars are getting a lot of age and miles on them. Fixing one thing, especially if it increases or restores lost power, can reveal other problems that were latent. An abrupt movement of the engine and transmission when letting up on the gas may be causing this sensation. That points to one or more bad engine or transmission mounts.

Also, if the ac solenoid clutch is sticking so that the ac compressor is turning all the time, even when it is turned "off" this could, indeed, put a heavy load on the belts, pulleys and introduce a lot of drag to the engine. That would stress weak engine/transmission mounts. It will also burn out the compressor. OP should look and see if the compressor is turning when the ac is switched off. It should stop when off, and resume when turned on. That is visible.
Thanks, I'll check over the mounts, though the PMM was replaced not too long ago. I'll check the compressor too.

Originally Posted by Reds3 View Post
How are your engine mounts?

Also if you had a vacuum leak you should be able to see a difference in your fuel trims on your AP, assuming you have an AP or some kind of data logging device hooked up.
I don't have an AP but I have Forscan on my laptop. I honestly don't know enough about what they should look like to know whether they are off.

Last edited by shawnmos; 08-01-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
shawnmos is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

STFT and LTFT combinned should remain inside a +/-10% with a proper maf tune (Cobb say 8%)

have you checked if it is different if you switch to neutral just to isolate motor/trans from the equation when you decelerate ? The car should almost ''fly'' in neutral or you may have a stikky brake or a bearing...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 08-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

This was just a 5min drive around the block.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2019-08-02-19-36-47.png (1.34 MB, 13 views)
 Old 09-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jeff23spl View Post
STFT and LTFT combinned should remain inside a +/-10% with a proper maf tune (Cobb say 8%)

have you checked if it is different if you switch to neutral just to isolate motor/trans from the equation when you decelerate ? The car should almost ''fly'' in neutral or you may have a stikky brake or a bearing...
It does not do it in neutral. Only when the car is in gear.

I just replaced the RMM hoping that would fix the problem but it did not make much difference.
 Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Attaching a few different drives/days. The more I've been reading the more it sounds like a fuel cutoff when I let go of the gas.
 Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

Quazz236 will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

What RPM does it happen at? I've noticed that when I let the gas go and coast in gear the engine feels somewhat rough around 3K. Like lets say I'll go up to 5k RPM and let the gas go and roll (any gear btw) when the RPM's start dropping the engine feels smooth till about 3K then it gets rough between 3k-2.5ish.k and then under 2.5k RPM it feels ok again. IDK if it's something similar or not.
Quazz236 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Quazz236 View Post
What RPM does it happen at? I've noticed that when I let the gas go and coast in gear the engine feels somewhat rough around 3K. Like lets say I'll go up to 5k RPM and let the gas go and roll (any gear btw) when the RPM's start dropping the engine feels smooth till about 3K then it gets rough between 3k-2.5ish.k and then under 2.5k RPM it feels ok again. IDK if it's something similar or not.
It seems to happen at any RPM. I've actually noticed since replacing the RMM it no longer jerks when I let off the throttle. So maybe that was part of the problem.

However, it still jerks violently when I first start to accelerate. It doesn't seem to matter the RPM, though it's worse the lower the gear. It's still somewhat noticeable in 5th or 6th gear though. Just feathering the pedal a bit and it jerks a lot.
 Old 09-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #13

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think I have noticed a similar phenomenon with very little throttle input. Off throttle, the fuel is cut off. But at very light throttle where I'm still slowing down but not as much as off throttle, it feels a little jerky. I just assumed it was the nature of having a 3.5" intake and maybe the MAFcal was slightly off in that area. Or maybe the throttle tables needed to be refined in that area. It didn't bother me enough dig into it.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote