register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #1

alden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant future
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Exhaust "break in" period

Hey guys,

I just purchased an Ultimate Racing catback to replace my somewhat underwhelming magnaflow. However, after installing it, I'm surprised to hear it's not as loud as I was expecting based on some videos I've seen. I'm totally catless, with the non resonated option on the catback, so straight pipe from downpipe to the mufflers.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that often times new exhausts tend to have a short break in period, and tend to get louder after that. Is there any truth to this? Or is that a load of shit? I absolutely love the sound of the Ultimate Racing catback, but I also wouldn't mind if it was a touch louder.

Feel free to chime in with your experience with this, or lack there of (if it doesn't change sound at all).

Thanks guys!
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #2

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't know about louder, perhaps more throaty is a better description. And we're talking a few decibels/octives, nothing huge. Breakin, depending on the components, is anywhere from 500-1500 miles.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #3

WAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the worldWAMBUSHHHH! is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,313 Times in 698 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

When I swapped in my UR RP (stock DP and catback) I heard a more throaty exhaust note immediately. As I remember it, it didn't really change after any sort of break in period (500+ miles).

Now on my R (I know, different platform) I installed a catback that was relatively quiet for the first 500 miles or so and then one day I noticed it was way louder. I assume it was a gradual change which is why it didn't immediately pop out but it for sure sounds way louder today than it did on first install. I have no idea if its a placebo effect or what so take all of that with a grain of salt.

2004 Yamaha R6 - Micron Ricer Pipe / PC
2005 Honda CBR 600 F4i - R.I.P. 10/29/13
WAMBUSHHHH! is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

alden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant future
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GroceryGtr View Post
I don't know about louder, perhaps more throaty is a better description. And we're talking a few decibels/octives, nothing huge. Breakin, depending on the components, is anywhere from 500-1500 miles.
Cool, I'll be sure to check back after 500-1000 miles!

Originally Posted by WAMBUSHHHH! View Post
When I swapped in my UR RP (stock DP and catback) I heard a more throaty exhaust note immediately. As I remember it, it didn't really change after any sort of break in period (500+ miles).

Now on my R (I know, different platform) I installed a catback that was relatively quiet for the first 500 miles or so and then one day I noticed it was way louder. I assume it was a gradual change which is why it didn't immediately pop out but it for sure sounds way louder today than it did on first install. I have no idea if its a placebo effect or what so take all of that with a grain of salt.
I can definitely see why it would get louder after the race pipe install, since your removing a large restriction. However, I'm more referring to the mufflers having a break in period, not so much the exhaust as a whole. I'll check back after a bit and see if it's any louder! It sounds amazing so I'm not too upset. lol

Last edited by alden; 11-14-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 11-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 67
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

No it does not get louder. The inside of the pipes get covered in carbon buildup. That makes it less raspy at certin frequencies. If you want loud get a single exit exhaust. With out getting technical dual exhausts on this car tends to be quieter then single exit ones. I believe corksport makes one.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1// Air Lift 1000 in rear
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 5doorsoffury View Post
No it does not get louder. The inside of the pipes get covered in carbon buildup. That makes it less raspy at certin frequencies. If you want loud get a single exit exhaust. With out getting technical dual exhausts on this car tends to be quieter then single exit ones. I believe corksport makes one.
Cool, I appreciate the input. I don't believe corksport makes their single exit anymore, but I just got this exhaust, so I don't plan on changing it anytime soon! It sounds amazing, its just not as loud as a lot of the catless UR catbacks I've heard on youtube. However, I am beyond satisfied with the UR catback.