register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By meicalnissyen

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

Slash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of light
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Full Coolant Hose Replacement

Morning MSF,

At sebring last week I had a small coolant hose rupture on a cooldown lap. Luckily I didnt lose that much fluid (only about 1/2 a liter) and was able to get a fan on the engine almost immediately to let it cool down.

That said, I couldnt identify WHICH hose was the one with the leak. Once It cooled off and I filled back up, the car drives around without losing any coolant.

Therefore I've decided to replace all the coolant hoses just to make sure this isnt a problem at road atlanta later this summer....

Here's the list I have so far, please let me know if I need all of these.

Also, I just flushed the coolant fully about 2 months ago, so I don't think I need to flush and refill, just refill with more Zerex Asian Vehicle Formula.

L33X15186B - Lower Hose
L33X15381C - Reservoir Hose
L33X15383A - Upper Hose
L3K91554YB - Coolant Hose
L33615170 - Thermostat and gasket kit
L33X15185A - Inlet Hose
L3K915260A - Bypass Hose - is this metal or rubber? I cant tell in the IPC is it needed?
L33X15190 - Water Pipe - is this metal or rubber? I cant tell in the IPC is it needed?
L3K915536 - Connector Hose
L3M613680 - Water Hose

There's lots of ambiguous labeling here, and not a lot of material descriptions (metal, rubber, silicone etc). But I want to smack this problem ASAP. Coolant is one of the few failures that can really screw up my day at the track, so I want to go nuclear by replacing "everything" that is a non-metal hose in the system to ensure this doesnt happen again.

Please let me know.

Also, to replace all of these I'm assuming I need to remove the intake, battery and intercooler to get around the back of the engine, drain coolant and have lots of zerex long life ready for a fill later.

Thanks,
Slash
Slash621 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

frothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,379 Times in 594 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Diagram with the above mentioned parts highlighted:

15186 - L33X15186B - Lower Hose
15381A - L33X15381C - Reservoir Hose
15383 - L33X15383A - Upper Hose
15546 - L3K91554YB - Coolant Hose
1517X - L33615170 - Thermostat and gasket kit
15185 - L33X15185A - Inlet Hose
15261 - L3K915260A - Bypass Hose - is this metal or rubber? I cant tell in the IPC is it needed?
15190 - L33X15190 - Water Pipe - is this metal or rubber? I cant tell in the IPC is it needed?
15536A - L3K915536 - Connector Hose
13681A - L3M613680 - Water Hose

frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Slash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of lightSlash621 is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks Frothy,

That's the IPC Diagram I used to find out what I needed to replace.

Are all those hoses you highlighted actually rubber? I'm worried about 15261 & 15190. If they are metal i'm not sure I need to replace them.

Also, are there any other parts I need to consider replacing at the same time besides hoses and thermostats? For Ex? does the cap need to be replaced?
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

frothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the worldfrothy is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

L3K915260A - Bypass Hose:

It's most definitely rubber.

Looks like you'll be removing your intake manifold...
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Jesus... How often do people on this site replace these hoses? what a PITA.
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #6

maisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,844 Posts
Groans: 75
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Slash621 View Post
I have never replaced any of them at 100K miles
maisonvi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm just worried I'll blow another one at the track under some significant pressure / heat.
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

maisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the worldmaisonvi is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,968 Times in 1,844 Posts
Groans: 75
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm just worried I'll blow another one at the track under some significant pressure / heat.
I understand the worry, but thats going to cost you an arm and a leg probably. Plus, you dont even know its a hose that is leaking at this point right?
maisonvi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I need to tear it down at the moment. I have it narrows to items in the area of the thermostat. I wasnt about to tear it down at the track, so I ran home at 50mph, windows down with the rad cap off and was able to get it back only losing about 1 cup of fluid.
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

I attached an uncompressed engine pic... If you click on the picture you can zoom in and see if you can find that second hose. It's kind of a rat's nest...

Yes, I believe all of the highlighted part #s are rubber.

I've never replaced any of my coolant hoses ('07 MS3).

If you haven't already, check the hoses by the fans. The line that runs above the fan is notorious for working its way free from the clips and incurring damage from the fan blades.

Relevant link: How-to save your coolant line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F4.JPG (5.43 MB, 101 views)
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

Killer95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Another thing to consider is changing the hose clamps. I'm not convinced that some of the stock spring loaded clamps are good for holding significant pressure and can lose strength after being put on and removed a few times.

Tbolt clamps may be overkill, but i think they are better and cause less damage to the hose than worm drive clamps.

1995 Mustang GT - Turbocharged / Motor work

Killer95GT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #12

anavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the worldanavrinIV is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,982 Posts
Groans: 63
Groaned at 43 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've replaced one hose that was cut by the rad fan...fell out of its clip and into the fan. It's now zip tied in place. Other than that no problems, and that includes a day with over 100 miles on the dragon, some time at VIR and a couple time trial races. Over 100k on the car and engine.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
anavrinIV is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

ok after some investigation. I dont have a cut on the upper radiator hose near the fan. This split is somewhere around the thermostat in the back of the rats nest.

I think after seeing those pictures. I'm going to take this to my trusty local mechanic... I can see myself getting kinda frustrated trying to do all of these myself, maybe I just have them locate and replace the affected hose.
 Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #14

NCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the worldNCspecV81 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,114 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 32 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Not as much as we replace turbos!

NCspecV81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCspecV81 For This Useful Post:
Killer95GT302 (05-11-2015)
 Old 05-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #15

meicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the world
Groans: 9
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've just replaced alot of mine with silicone, If your interested I can sign and post the OEM's 90K, and it has over heated a few times

also, there are kits for the entire engine online. search " mazda radiator hose kit silicone "

I'm at work so ebay is blocked or I'd toss you a link

tstat area has a housing gasket , 19mm line running to the oil cooler and a rad hose going to the T pipe.

I had a bad radiator from napa that would imtermittently leak like a seive, drip a bit, or hold tight. it had a bad tank to core joint
TRBLSM likes this.

Last edited by meicalnissyen; 05-11-2015 at 01:19 PM.
meicalnissyen is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #16

meicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the worldmeicalnissyen is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

261 is rubber and covered with a mesh sleeve, runs from tstat to egr housing
190 is the steel heater pipe, runs from heater to oil cooler
Thanks Frothy,

That's the IPC Diagram I used to find out what I needed to replace.

Are all those hoses you highlighted actually rubber? I'm worried about 15261 & 15190. If they are metal i'm not sure I need to replace them.

Also, are there any other parts I need to consider replacing at the same time besides hoses and thermostats? For Ex? does the cap need to be replaced?
 Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #17

skylinekin will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I would recommend you purchase a cooling system pressure tester (harbor freight has a decent kit) to find the leak, very easy to do and will save you time hunting around or replacing a bunch of good parts.
 Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #18

Not Ranked  0 score     

Thats a good idea most of the time, but the OP, and I, have/had intermittent leaks, and a static, cold test, without the tstat and WP involved may well be useless
Originally Posted by skylinekin View Post
I would recommend you purchase a cooling system pressure tester (harbor freight has a decent kit) to find the leak, very easy to do and will save you time hunting around or replacing a bunch of good parts.
 Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, I decided to just take it in...

Mechanic found that some on track rubber chunk had hit the heater hose and cracked it. So just a general "track failure" rather than a real failure of the hose itself.

So there we go!
 Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

like a tear off in the rear brake duct.........