register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GroceryGtr

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 12-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

E.Murray is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Injector seal confusion

We bought a 2007 with a blown engine that the PO had partially disassembled. Will be re-assembling this weekend and came across a question on the injectors. I did some research on here a while back and found that the Toyota seals seem to be the jewel for these. So I ordered them.

Then I went and looked at the injectors (got them in a big box o' parts. They were still in the fuel rail). I see two seals on there. There's one thin (and broken) one at the top, then a fat blue o-ring. That's it. Neither of them look like the Toyota part. I looked on Edge and they show three seals, but nothing tells me where they go. So I went to the dealership to get a schematic. He shows a total of 5 seals. Four in the top and one on the bottom. And he wanted almost $300 for new ones. My guess is that this Toyota one goes on the bottom. Is that right? Also, am I really missing that many seals? And do I have to get them from the dealership?

I've searched on here, but people just talk about the "injector seal" like it's one part. How many are there and do I need to buy all new ones?
E.Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by E.Murray View Post
We bought a 2007 with a blown engine that the PO had partially disassembled. Will be re-assembling this weekend and came across a question on the injectors. I did some research on here a while back and found that the Toyota seals seem to be the jewel for these. So I ordered them.

Then I went and looked at the injectors (got them in a big box o' parts. They were still in the fuel rail). I see two seals on there. There's one thin (and broken) one at the top, then a fat blue o-ring. That's it. Neither of them look like the Toyota part. I looked on Edge and they show three seals, but nothing tells me where they go. So I went to the dealership to get a schematic. He shows a total of 5 seals. Four in the top and one on the bottom. And he wanted almost $300 for new ones. My guess is that this Toyota one goes on the bottom. Is that right? Also, am I really missing that many seals? And do I have to get them from the dealership?

I've searched on here, but people just talk about the "injector seal" like it's one part. How many are there and do I need to buy all new ones?
When we talk about injector seals we talk about seals directly between the head and the injector. Toyota seals look different than the Tokay(corksport now?) seals because it is a different design. Some reported leaks with toyota seals, but I run em just fine for now. No need to replace any other seals unless they are cracked or something.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, FMIC, Fidanza flywheel/stock clutch, Forge BPV, DogBone Mounts, COBB SRI/PG Inlet pipe, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, DM/ebay catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, CNT catback

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mod include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #3

E.Murray is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks. Good to have confirmed.
So how many should there be at the top of the injector? I only see 2 but the Mazda schematic shows 4.
E.Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,298 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Toyota seals are a cheap temporary fix in my opinion. I’d opt for CS for long run purposes.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Djohns For This Useful Post:
sharksinspace (12-06-2017)
 Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If it's on the parts diagram, there are that many.
https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/i...ze/4B17421.jpg
though from the names one is an 'o' ring, and three are called "grommet".

I added all 4 of all 4 to my cart from
https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...category=24722
and it came to $238.23 including the exorbitant sum of $29.95 for shipping.

Edge Autosport appeared at my quick glance to have 3 of these, but I'm not sure they're any cheaper. I'm surprised they don't have a kit of all of them.

The reason most of the discussion surrounds the injector-to-head seal is it's the one that makes you lose pwar. If the stuff sealing it to the rail goes, gas leaks out and the car goes up in flames, then they're no longer worried about power OR injector seals.
 Old 12-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #6

darkmx-6 is a jewel in the roughdarkmx-6 is a jewel in the roughdarkmx-6 is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Precisionline Fuel Injectors

Sold me a kit for much cheaper than the dealer when I got my injectors cleaned.

While they are out I would suggest having them serviced, you won't regret it. I didn't put enough lube on o-rings and accidentally cut them when putting the fuel rail on. Ended up using my stock o-rings with his cut washers because the stock cut washers fell apart.

Just give them a light coating of engine oil like you would do for an oil filter.
darkmx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #7

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 47
Not Ranked  0 score     

You have the seal itself, the oring, and a few grommets. when i did CS seals in March, the cheapest place i found to buy the orings and grommets was tascaparts.com. they're damn pricey no matter who you get them from.
Koni Str.t + Bilstein B8; Swift Springs; JBR STS; Sumi HTR Z III on RX8s
PD by Will
sharksinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #8

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

toyota seals are not a shortcut, they work just fine. Keep in mind they were designed for a diesel engine, so I can assure you pressures aren't the issue. 90% its the install/prep that causes the failure. The mating block surface needs to be in good condition, if you had to pry the old ones out of the block you'll need to smooth the surface first. CSs are a little more forgiving with damaged mating surfaces due to the increased surface area of the design. So look in the holes and if the surfaces towards the bottom and at the flat base are in good shape toyotas are fine, if there are tool marks and/or scrapes from removing the stuck ones then you'd be better served with the CSs if you arent confident you can smooth them back out. I run toyotas in my built engine and am perfectly happy as are many others. Either way you need to make sure you clean those suckers out squeaky clean at a minimum. Corrosion, dirt, etc will all prevent a good tight seal.

On the seals you have the bottom one(toyota seal) that seals the injector to the block. Then you have a combo of 3 on the top of the injector that goes in the rail. Total of 4 pieces.
The order is(top to bottom):
1. a thin white plastic membrane/washer
2. a blue oring
3. a split hard plastic washer/spacer(black)
4. Actual injector seal - Toyota or CS replacement

You need the split washer and the oring, the plastic membrane only serves to prevent the blue oring from getting stuck in the fuel rail. If I can find my spare set I'll try to snap a pic of reference.

As others have pointed out its probably a good idea to send them out for cleaning/balancing while the engine is apart. The precision guy out of Canada does a good job for a good price and as long as you ask ahead of time will replace the upper blue orings as well for another ~$5. You can also buy the oring kit from him for pretty cheap. Hopefully you have the black split spacers as those are a huge pita to find/replace.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #9

sharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the worldsharksinspace is the leader of the world
Groans: 47
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by GroceryGtr View Post
On the seals you have the bottom one(toyota seal) that seals the injector to the block. Then you have a combo of 3 on the top of the injector that goes in the rail. Total of 4 pieces.
The order is(top to bottom):
1. a thin white plastic membrane/washer
2. a blue oring
3. a split hard plastic washer/spacer(black)
4. Actual injector seal - Toyota or CS replacement.
Five pieces, diagram below.

Grommet
Oring
Grommet
Grommet
Seal

None of the pieces are hard to find, they're just expensive when you're redoing the entire set on all four injectors. Also not a bad idea to replace the oring and grommets where the fuel hardline plugs into the rail, as long as you're already in that far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20171207-083245.jpg (79.5 KB, 0 views)
Koni Str.t + Bilstein B8; Swift Springs; JBR STS; Sumi HTR Z III on RX8s
PD by Will
sharksinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #10

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Good catch, I completely forgot thats 2 pieces under the oring. Found a really good pick below showing everything, saves me from having to dig out mine tonight.

darkmx-6 and sharksinspace like this.

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GroceryGtr For This Useful Post:
sharksinspace (12-07-2017)