register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bingo
  • 1 Post By JSmith

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

Smallville has a spectacular aura aboutSmallville has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Inside Cabin High Pitched Whine

2008 MS3 GT

I've only owned this car for a couple weeks and I'm slowly fixing the previous owner's neglect. On today's menu is a high pitched whine that I hear inside the cabin. It's coming from somewhere in the backseats (I want to say the rear passenger seat area) and it faintly dies down in volume when I use the power window switches.

Not sure if this is related but I also have a battery drain issue that I'm also chasing down. The previous owner installed an aftermarket headunit and wired it for subwoofers. I'm going to take it to a car audio shop to see if they wired it correctly but just wanted to see if anyone knew whether this whine is normal or not.
Smallville is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #2

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Something making a whine = something foreign being powered or some component in the car dying. It dies down when windows are used = it is drawing some current at least with ACC on. No this is not normal. If you don't know how the sub is wired, I would suggest taking out its wiring and starting from there.
SpoolinSpeed3..757 likes this.

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Natey (09-24-2017), Smallville (09-24-2017)
 Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #3

Natey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the worldNatey is the leader of the world
Groans: 6
Groaned at 22 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Turn up the stereo and rev the engine. Is it louder with the volume up? If so check the grounding for the audio system, especially if it's aftermarket.
Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,266 Posts
Groans: 88
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Is there a baby in the back seat? Possibly your wife/girlfriend if equipped?
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Djohns For This Useful Post:
5doorsoffury (10-11-2017), ChaunceyM (09-25-2017), JSmith (09-24-2017), KiwiFlavor (09-25-2017)
 Old 09-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

PapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Maybe previous owner had a sub and amp? I'd check under the seats for and foreign or out-of-place looking wiring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
JBR 88 Durometer RMM, Autotech HPFP Internals, COBB Accessport V3, CS Hood Strut Kit, CS Underhood LED Kit, CS Eyelids (painted), BFG CS2s with JBR 5mm spacers, Password JDM Gurney Flap, FREEKTUNE e-Tune, Full Race FMIC, RZO RA138 Shift Knob, RZO 270mm Convex Rear View Mirror, Rally Armor Limited Ed. Flaps, JBR Stage 2 Short Shifter, NGK One Step Colder Plugs, Ultimate Racing: V3 Down Pipe (w/ Metal Substrate Core), Straight Test Pipe, and CBE, Go Fast Bits Respons TMS Blowoff Valve, CS Injector Seals, DM Stage 1 OCC + VTA, DM EGR Delete Kit, DM PMM, HTP 3.5" Intake, BNR S4, Grimmspeed EBCS, CS 3.5 Bar MAP, Prosport 52"mm Premium Evo Boost Gauge, RZO RP81 and RP85 Sports Competition Pedals
PapaBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #6

JSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the worldJSmith is the leader of the world
Groans: 41
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNrDw8qpag
PapaBruno likes this.
JSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSmith For This Useful Post:
Djohns (09-24-2017)
 Old 09-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by PapaBruno View Post
Maybe previous owner had a sub and amp? I'd check under the seats for and foreign or out-of-place looking wiring.

Someone shoot me now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170924_150057.jpg (3.00 MB, 29 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Smallville For This Useful Post:
5doorsoffury (10-11-2017)
 Old 09-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
I think I'd rather deal with that than my car's whine....I think.
 Old 09-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #9

PapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the worldPapaBruno is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Someone shoot me now...
Hopefully that's the source of your whining issue.

JBR 88 Durometer RMM, Autotech HPFP Internals, COBB Accessport V3, CS Hood Strut Kit, CS Underhood LED Kit, CS Eyelids (painted), BFG CS2s with JBR 5mm spacers, Password JDM Gurney Flap, FREEKTUNE e-Tune, Full Race FMIC, RZO RA138 Shift Knob, RZO 270mm Convex Rear View Mirror, Rally Armor Limited Ed. Flaps, JBR Stage 2 Short Shifter, NGK One Step Colder Plugs, Ultimate Racing: V3 Down Pipe (w/ Metal Substrate Core), Straight Test Pipe, and CBE, Go Fast Bits Respons TMS Blowoff Valve, CS Injector Seals, DM Stage 1 OCC + VTA, DM EGR Delete Kit, DM PMM, HTP 3.5" Intake, BNR S4, Grimmspeed EBCS, CS 3.5 Bar MAP, Prosport 52"mm Premium Evo Boost Gauge, RZO RP81 and RP85 Sports Competition Pedals
PapaBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #10

Djohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the worldDjohns is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,266 Posts
Groans: 88
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That shouldn't be too bad of a fix though! Just rip those wires out and be done with it.
The go: Depo racing: downpipe (100 cell count), custom: FMIC. HTP: 3.5" intake, under route piping. JBR: shortshifter, RSB. Autotech: HPFP internals. Go fast bits: hybrid BPV, VMR: 18x8.5 V710s, Bridgestone: potenza re760 245/40/18, KW: v3 coilovers,SPC: camber arms, freektuned, Damond Motorsports: dual OCC, PMM, PCV plate, RMM, TMM, EGR delete, FoSt mani, Corksport: battery box(fuck this thing), injector seals, Cobb: EBCS, AP v3. AEM: methanol. Seibon: carbon fiber hood. UR: catback. Bosch: 3bar. BNR: s4, DNP: EWG manifold, Tial: 38mm mvs EWG.

The show: 5% tint all around, 50% tint windshield, rally armor mudflaps, Sony XAV64BT touchscreen headunit, katskin leather interior, CPE relocation plate, Maisonvi weighted shift knob, Corksport hoodscoop, black housing headlights.

Soon:built motor
Djohns is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #11

GroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the worldGroceryGtr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

If that was part of his wiring that you CAN see I don't even want to know about the shit thats hidden. I strongly advise ripping EVERYTHING out and doing it correctly. Those are household connectors, hell it would be an upgrade if you just twisted them together and used electrical tape. Id be seriously concerned about electrical damage to other components and/or a fire from that hack job. The resistance has got to be incredible.

$60 and a few hours and you'll solve all your problems. Not to mention the piece of mind its done correctly(and safely).

Silver 06 MS6 - DD stealth build - no show, all go....
'12 Abarth Challenge Car - very loud, very fast, very inconvenient to drive on the street...
GroceryGtr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #12

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,669 Times in 858 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If the whine is electric/electronic in source, consider isolating the circuit by experimenting with removing fuses to accessories and the window motors, one at a time.

When you pull the fuse on the responsible circuit, the whine will stop. Then you can figure out what component needs to be either removed or replaced.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Update: I've located the draw to a 40A BTN fuse in fuse box under the hood. This fuse protects the headlights, interior lights, hazard lights, turn signals, and who knows what else. I have yet to go through all the fuses in glovebox compartment to try and isolate the circuit further.

I feel stupid for not saying this earlier but in addition to this whine and my battery drain, my power locks don't work. After replacing the rear door lock actuators I think the whine is gone but I still have a battery drain. Reading another forum I think it's related to a bad CANbus on the aftermarket radio. Supposedly all I have to do is switch the constant and accessory wires on the CANbus and the drain should go away. I'll update when I try all this during the weekend.
 Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 66
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Smallville
I think it's related to a bad CANbus on the aftermarket radio. Supposedly all I have to do is switch the constant and accessory wires on the CANbus and the drain should go away.
Ummmm what? Ok so first of all.... what?

Second wth are you talking about switching constant and acc on the can bus?

So what i think is the source of your wine is from the subs. So lets say he does a shitty job of installing the subs with no Low pass filter. The wine will come from a bad AMP, Ground or running rca's close to power cables. Unless he has a 4 channel aftermarket amp i doubt they are coming from your speakers. He could of tapped power or more likely the remote wire off of a circuit on that 40 amp fuse of yours.

Now onto the can bus. It is data plain and simple. You cant keep something on unless you are commanding it to stay on. Second a MS3 shouldn't have any canbus interface for the sterio....... So even if the radio could command something to stay on which it isn't the radio would stay on with the ignition off.

I would rip EVERYTHING aftermarket out of the car. Then start from the smallest fuse and work backwards. Then start unplugging shit that is not yellow loomed until the draw goes away.

You said you have a draw but you didnt say how much or how you were detecting it. Some one asked if the wineing got louder when you raised the volume and you never answered him. Turn the radio all the way down then rev the motor with your head next to each speaker and see if the wine changes with rpm. Did he run a power cable to the battery?
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1// Air Lift 1000 in rear
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5doorsoffury For This Useful Post:
PapaBruno (10-11-2017)
 Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #15

Jonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Make CANbus great again

Sent while probably pooping

Build a wall around the subs

Sent while probably pooping
CS TIP/SRI CS RMM CS Sexy Steering Wheel CS Springs & Struts CS Shirt Throw Shifter CS Shifter Bushings CS TBE CS Boost Tubes CP-e TMIC HKS BOV in resirc DM Vented OCC DM TMM DM PMM DM SSP Autotech Internals Custom E33 Freaktune

Last edited by Jonb82; 10-12-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Jonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #16

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm happy to report that everything has been resolved. Below are the 3 issues and fixes that I was dealing with.

Problem #1 - All four door locks weren't working properly. The rear driver's side would unlock when pressing the power switch but wouldn't lock, and the other three wouldn't move at all. To fix this I had to replace all four door lock actuators. Apparently these actuators are a common problem but to have all four go out is kinda crazy.

Problem #2 - Battery drain issue. Connecting an amp meter in series with the negative battery cable/clamp showed a draw of 240mA even after letting the car sit for 30 minutes. After fixing my door lock actuators the draw dropped to 150mA (I suspect an actuator was either stuck open or preventing the car from going to sleep). Another mazda forum told me that the Eonon GA5151 headunit the previous owner installed was sold with a faulty CANbus decoder. All I had to do was switch the constant power and accessory power wires from the CANbus and now I'm reading a draw of 20mA (after waiting 30 minutes for the electronics to time out).

Problem #3 - Electronic whine coming from the backseat that would die down in sound when using the power windows. Listening carefully it was coming from right in the middle of the backseats. According to my mechanic it's the fuel pump and it's normal. I only heard it because I took my backseats out when tracking my battery drain issue. Once I put the backseats in again the noise was masked.

I can FINALLY enjoy my car. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171013_085010.jpg (4.24 MB, 2 views)