register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CaseyBueno
  • 1 Post By dale_gribble

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #1

CaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default The LuK clutch with Fidanza Flywheel Combo

What's up, guys!

For those of you who don't know, I've been going through a nightmare with my local STAR Mazda dealership in Glendale. Long story short, after I took my car in for a VVT job, everything went to shit and after 10 weeks, I have a new motor and turbo (thanks to them ultimately doing the right thing). While the motor was out, they said I might as well change the clutch (had 70k on it) and flywheel. After searching this forum, I decided to go with the LuK Clutch Kit (PN: 10064) and the Fidanza flywheel (PN: 161071). I decided to go with the Fidanza mainly because of price and in THEORY, all you need to do in the future is replace the friction surface which is like $60 as opposed to buying an entirely new flywheel.

Unfortunately, this review is a little jacked because my control is all off due to the fact that I haven't driven my car in 10 weeks so in terms of comparing what I have now to stock, I'm just going off memory.

My Initial Concerns before driving: 1.) CHATTER, or noise from the single-mass flywheel (apr. 11lbs) as opposed to the stock dual-mass (apr. 24lbs) 2.) Quick drop of RPM in between shifts do to the lighter weight therefor less inertia

First impression: Solid-ass combo! First off, the clutch pedal and engagement all feels VERY stock. The engagement may be a LITTLE more aggressive due to the flywheel , but this is debatable. What I love about this combo is down-shifting. I do remember if I was cruising on the FWY around 70mph with the stock setup and wanted to down shift to 4th, I'd have to floor the throttle quickly and wait for that little lag to rev match. The lag is now almost gone. Fuckin rad. The 20lbs taken off the flywheel VASTLY improves revving and throttle response.

Now addressing my initial concerns, they're no more. In terms of CHATTER, you definitely hear it, but I'm talking windows up stereo off. The second you're at +2 volume, it's gone. You also do hear it in the lower RPMs on 1st and 2nd. up until around 3k. Honestly, I like the chatter especially after readin this bad-ass thread Tig wrote up on WHY you hear it: Notes on chatter from light weight flywheels
That being said, I don't think I'll ever get polyurethane motor mounts as I think that WOULD make the chatter a little louder than I'd like. Quite, it sounds good, but I feel like it could get real unattractive if it was louder than it is now - again, personal opinion and nothing to do with performance.

In terms of losing RPM's while up shifting, NOPE! Holds just fine. Again, the concern was loss of inertia because of the lighter weight.

All in all, for anyone who needs a clutch and flyhweel, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting this combo as you'll save money compared to stock (I was quoted $1900 which I know is high, but still) and it simply makes your car more FUN TO DRIVE!

I didn't really want to mention power, because I have a brand new motor and turbo now which obviously plays a huge role in this, but god DAMN does my car pull!!

Hope this helps anyone researching this!
TiGraySpeed6 likes this.

"Life's a garden; dig it."
-Joe Dirt
CaseyBueno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaseyBueno For This Useful Post:
Axel907 (03-01-2014), Douggievee (04-08-2014), ItsNox (02-05-2014), jm211 (02-04-2014), Kyle Undefined (02-04-2014), mazdas4me (02-05-2014), Neverlift (05-14-2015), pwdunmore (03-17-2014), rob ms6gt (04-08-2014), speed23 (04-08-2014), TiGraySpeed6 (02-05-2014), vtdone (10-26-2014), [R]usty (02-04-2014)
 Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

Douggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really nice
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have this same setup going in my car right now.
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT: Autotech Fuel pump, GT3071R, Cobb AP FreakTune, 3" Custom Magnaflow Turboback Dual Exhaust, Mazdaspeeed intake/turbo inlet tube, NGK XI 1 step colder plugs, Fidanza Flywheel, EGR/VTCS Delete, Cobb EBC, Cross drilled rotors, Corksport BPV, TSW Nurburgrings, Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
Douggievee is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

rymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the worldrymanmazda is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,116 Times in 503 Posts
Groans: 122
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you launch your car at all?
Mods: Cobb AP, MSD Dashhawk, GT3076r, HTP 3" SRI, FMIC w/ tr8, Wiseco Pistons (9.5:1), Manely Rods, HPFP AutoTech Intenals, NJSPEED3 Ported Intake Manifold w/ VCTS Delete, Turbosmart BPV, Grimspeed 3-Port EBCS, NGK Iridium One Step Colder Plugs, 3.0" ATP Turbo Dowpipe w/ high flow cat, Devil's Own Stage 1 Methanol/Water Injection Kit, 50/50 Methanol, ACT 6 puck sprung w/ streetlite flywheel, Block8head vent pod, Prosport Performance Boost Gauge Amber/White, Cipher Auto Harness Bar, Cipher Auto 4-point Racing Harness, BC Racing Coilovers, CP-E rear diff mount, JBR RMM 80A, SPC Front Adjustable Ball Joints, Enkei Raijin Hypersilver 18x8 +45, 225/45/18
-Autocross Setup-
17x8 +38, BF Goodrich R1 225/45/17

Other Rides:
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT BCM: 114k miles, never modded (Totaled March 2013)
1969 Ford Ranchero: 351 Windsor, Edelbrock 600cfm, fully re-done interior (w/ Grant steering wheel, '91 T-Bird SC racing bucket seats), C-6 Automatic Trans w/ shifter kit, First, body work, then drag racing and dumping money into it.
1969 Pontiac Firebird: 4:11 gears, 28x10 ET Streets (Middle of restoration with father)
1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4: 174k miles, 5 speed, Fiberglass Baja Front clip, 2in body lift, 4in suspension lift, 33x10 BFG All-Terrains, Custom Smittybuilt Bumpers, Custom Intake (SOLD)
rymanmazda is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #4

CaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the worldCaseyBueno is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by rymanmazda View Post
Do you launch your car at all?
I know I'm 4 months late here, but I don't.

"Life's a garden; dig it."
-Joe Dirt
CaseyBueno is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #5

memin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the world
Groans: 25
Groaned at 33 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So 4 months later follow up !! How is the LuK clutch with Fidanza Flywheel Combo holding so far??
 Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #6

dale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the world
Thanked 10,528 Times in 2,900 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I love mine so far 1,300 miles in but that damn chatter when car is warmed up, AC ON, clutch out = CRAZY loud. I would still do it again, but even the stuff I read on here didn't prepare me for that. It literally sounds like the car is going to explode.

Very smooth. Now that I am used to it, I can barely tell it's there besides the chatter.

EDIT: when car is warmed up, AC ON, clutch out WHILE IDLING = CRAZY loud

When the car is cruising and trans engaged you don't hear it obviously.
BILSTEIN - H&R SPRINGS - 18x8.5 +48 ROTA SVN - 265/35R18 HTR ZIII
MINI H1 6.0 - CAR LED TAILS

SEE MORE USING !SHOUTTAG.COM - ENTER: !6SPEED6

Last edited by dale_gribble; 09-26-2014 at 01:53 PM.
dale_gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dale_gribble For This Useful Post:
memin (09-26-2014)
 Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #7

memin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the worldmemin is the leader of the world
Groans: 25
Groaned at 33 Times in 20 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That is what I am looking for, dale .I am in the edge of getting this combo but I hate Race car chatter!!!
 Old 09-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #8

Jtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dale_gribble View Post
I love mine so far 1,300 miles in but that damn chatter when car is warmed up, AC ON, clutch out = CRAZY loud. I would still do it again, but even the stuff I read on here didn't prepare me for that. It literally sounds like the car is going to explode.

Very smooth. Now that I am used to it, I can barely tell it's there besides the chatter.
Video of said chatter?
| Black Powdercoated Stockers | Built Motor |
| Mahle 88mm Pistons | Manley H-Beam Rods |
Jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 74
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm going with the same set up when motor is going to go back in.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, CorkSport Turbo, TR8 Front Mount w/CX piping, JBR 3" intake, COBB EBCS, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, Fidanza flywheel/LUK clutch, Forge BPV v2, cp-e xFlex stage 2 RMM, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, Dual DM catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, stock CBE

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mods include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
stockms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 09-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

dale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the worlddale_gribble is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Little more info-

When ac is off and/or clutch pedal is in or when driving it's perfectly quiet. It's really only WHEN AC on and idling with clutch out that it passes the racecar limiter.
memin likes this.

ItsNox (09-29-2014)
 Old 09-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #11

Jega has much to be proud ofJega has much to be proud ofJega has much to be proud ofJega has much to be proud ofJega has much to be proud ofJega has much to be proud ofJega has much to be proud ofJega has much to be proud of
Groaned at 39 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I've got a year and 12k miles on my luk/fidanza combo and still working perfectly..

Tapatity Talk
 Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #12

Douggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really niceDouggievee is just really nice
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ive got a year on my oem/fidanza setup. Still great except my clutch pedal sticks like 20% of the time. Not sure if a lightweight flywheel would cause that.
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT: Autotech Fuel pump, GT3071R, Cobb AP FreakTune, 3" Custom Magnaflow Turboback Dual Exhaust, Mazdaspeeed intake/turbo inlet tube, NGK XI 1 step colder plugs, Fidanza Flywheel, EGR/VTCS Delete, Cobb EBC, Cross drilled rotors, Corksport BPV, TSW Nurburgrings, Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
Douggievee is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #13

Design is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the worldDesign is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,032 Times in 624 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Douggievee View Post
Ive got a year on my oem/fidanza setup. Still great except my clutch pedal sticks like 20% of the time. Not sure if a lightweight flywheel would cause that.
No.

Folks asked for a vid, here's one from an earlier member. The bearing noise is pronounced at idle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQdJ-OO0mkk

Ownership & Build Thread
Design is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Jtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the worldJtaylor is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Chatter doesn't come from the TOB, simply the harmonics of the trans gears vibrating together that the stock dual mass would have eliminated.
| Black Powdercoated Stockers | Built Motor |
| Mahle 88mm Pistons | Manley H-Beam Rods |
Jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #15

skylinekin will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I have the same combination, really like it but do agree the chatter noise with AC on clutch released at idle is quite loud especially with solid mounts. Will try and get a video of it.
skylinekin is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #16

Killer95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

This is good news, other than the chatter - I got a similar combo waiting to go in when my clutch goes out (coming very soon, I can feel it).

I got a used fidanza flywheel and a replacement friction plate for it - anyone replace this with success?

1995 Mustang GT - Turbocharged / Motor work

Killer95GT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm about 15k into mine. Clutch setup is fine, chatter makes me wish I went with a heavier steel smf like the southbend flywheel. I think luk+southbend smf would be perfect.

ItsNox (05-08-2015)
 Old 05-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #18

ItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the worldItsNox is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,656 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by dale_gribble View Post
I'm about 15k into mine. Clutch setup is fine, chatter makes me wish I went with a heavier steel smf like the southbend flywheel. I think luk+southbend smf would be perfect.
Do you notice quicker revs with the LW FW as compared to the stocker? I was going to go with the fidanza as well but since you mentioned the chatter and southbend it makes me wonder if the southbend would rev like the fizanda. Your thoughts?

Sent via Tapafail
Power & Drivetrain BNR S3v2 / AP V3 + 100% Meth / Autotechs / JBR Tru 3.5" SRI w/ 51R Battery / ETS TMIC / DO Meth D07 @ 100% / ACT6 Puck w/ Streetlight FW / 80mm CorkSport Exhaust / SLS Test Pipe / Turbosmart BPV / Techna-Fit SS CL / AP Shift Hammer / Bosch 3Bar / Grimspeed EBCS / NGK 1 Step Colder / JBR Boost Tubes / ProSport Sammich Plate / Rotella
Suspension & Mounts KWv2 Fronts & Bilstein Rears / AIDS Rear Diff Mounts / Whiteline RSB / Prothane Lowpro Bushings / Steeda Endlinks / JBR 88RMM / JBR Solid Bushings
Brakes & Wheels StopTech Slotted Rotors & Pads / Technafit SS Brake Lines / Evo X Wheels / 245/40/18 Potenza RE760s
Misc Redline & Unicorn Jizz (XTM5QS) / Sharkfin Antenna / Kuda Mount of Sweetness / Full TRS Mini-H1 Retrofit w/ Demon Eyes / TRS Xb LED Fogs / Hardwired Valentine 1 w/ Bluetooth / AuxMod w/Bluetooth

- Miltuned

On order/To be installed: E-btec Built Motor , BNR S4, CPe EWG Exhaust Mani, Precision 46mm WG, Kozmic 6th Port, CS FSB, RDMotorsportz Crash Bar, CS Injector Seals.

Georgia Motherfucking Nator
Originally Posted by Ziggylittles View Post
I hate that you can sleep on suckas and then make rape with your family sedan
ItsNox is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

The southbend is still considerably lighter than stock. I am sure the rev difference would be all but indistinguishable.

ItsNox (05-08-2015)
 Old 05-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #20

stockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the worldstockms3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm at 3k. Solid mounts and sometimes get tired of the chatter. I was prepared for loud but it's race car loud. I also have bsd.
2007 TR MazdaSpeed3:Autotech FP inernals, CorkSport Turbo, TR8 Front Mount w/CX piping, JBR 3" intake, COBB EBCS, Cobb AP, Toyota Injector Seals, FR stud mod, Fidanza flywheel/LUK clutch, Forge BPV v2, cp-e xFlex stage 2 RMM, Wiseco .20 Pistons/Manley Rods/BSD, Dual DM catch cans, Koni Yellows/H&R springs, FD wheels, eBay downpipe, stock CBE

2005 Mazda 3 SP23: mods include rusty quarter panels and grinding 3rd gear. It does have a fusion motor, so I guess that's a mod too.
 Old 05-13-2015, 02:00 AM   #21

Spec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the worldSpec is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,142 Posts
Groaned at 35 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by stockms3 View Post
I'm at 3k. Solid mounts and sometimes get tired of the chatter. I was prepared for loud but it's race car loud. I also have bsd.
I changed the idle with the ac on to get rid of the chatter at will on my 6 puck.
 Old 05-13-2015, 03:41 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I changed the idle with the ac on to get rid of the chatter at will on my 6 puck.
Yeah my idle is at 1k it helps quite a bit.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #23

Killer95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond reputeKiller95GT302 has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by stockms3 View Post
Yeah my idle is at 1k it helps quite a bit.
Well that's good for me when I get this put in. My idle is already jacked because k04.

1995 Mustang GT - Turbocharged / Motor work

Killer95GT302 is offline   Reply With Quote