register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

vincemoccio10 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Mazdaspeed 3 Starts then dies - assistance please

Hi guys,

The video below shows my problem. The car starts and idles for a little while but then dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPxlWgMtq8

The car sat for about 6 months in the summer but I would start it now and then.

The battery is new, there doesn't seem to be any alternator issues as I did not see a drop on my voltmeter when I tested it, I just added some Seafoam and changed all the spark plugs.

My next though is fuel maybe the fuel pump.

Any suggestions out there or thoughts to help me get her running and back on the road?
vincemoccio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #2

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 20
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Strange. I was expecting it to slowly idle down and stall out, but it just shuts off as if you turned the key.

Any CEL's?
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Speed support vehicle.
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #3

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nope. No lights come on at all.
 Old 10-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #4

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,760 Times in 928 Posts
Groans: 121
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by vincemoccio10 View Post
Hi guys,

The video below shows my problem. The car starts and idles for a little while but then dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPxlWgMtq8

The car sat for about 6 months in the summer but I would start it now and then.

The battery is new, there doesn't seem to be any alternator issues as I did not see a drop on my voltmeter when I tested it, I just added some Seafoam and changed all the spark plugs.

My next though is fuel maybe the fuel pump.

Any suggestions out there or thoughts to help me get her running and back on the road?
Does this happen only at idle? Can you raise rpm and keep the engine running, or does it still stall out?
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

I can start the engine in the morning (cold) and raise the RPMs up. It seems like once the car gets up to temperature it has a hard time staying on - it eventually dies. Once it is up to temp and i get it started it is harder to keep the RPMs up.

Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
Does this happen only at idle? Can you raise rpm and keep the engine running, or does it still stall out?
I can start the engine in the morning (cold) and raise the RPMs up. It seems like once the car gets up to temperature it has a hard time staying on - it eventually dies. Once it is up to temp and i get it started it is harder to keep the RPMs up.

Last edited by vincemoccio10; 11-01-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to vincemoccio10 For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (11-01-2018)
 Old 11-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

tegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the worldtegxsi is the leader of the world
Groans: 87
Not Ranked  0 score     

Have you tried checking for stored engine codes? Maybe there is something stored in the ECU that may lead to something.
tegxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #7

Rotareez will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

I had a similar problem with my LS1. My MAF sensor went bad and was grounding out whenever the car reaching operating temp and switched from open to closed loop. This caused the car to shut off immediately. Took me weeks to diagnose the issue, threw ZERO codes because im guessing the conputer never had a chance to store it. Anyway....

If there are no codes and if your fuel rail pressure checks out, id check some of the components that are used to monitor in closed loop settings I.E. Maf sensor and 02 Sensors. You could try disconnecting individual components and seeing if the car idles better when warm by forcing it into limp mode.

If your having a hard time keeping the RPMS up, it could be MAF related.....Just a shot in the dark tho
 Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

Rotareez will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

You could check this thread out as well.....

Car idles for 25 seconds then dies.
 Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey guys - check out the attachment. Success! the car is now running and not dieing out. I did what that other forum member did and used a jumper wire. Now I wondering if I can keep it like that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5744.JPG (138.4 KB, 10 views)
 Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also, I did take a look at the fuel pump resistor and it looks to be fine. Should I just go ahead and replace the whole thing?
 Old 11-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #11

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,656 Posts
Groans: 54
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by vincemoccio10 View Post
Also, I did take a look at the fuel pump resistor and it looks to be fine. Should I just go ahead and replace the whole thing?
Fuel pump resistor is in series before the pump, connect both wires at its connector together and you dont need it at all.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 136768503.gif (42.8 KB, 8 views)
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000262 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
vincemoccio10 (11-08-2018)
 Old 11-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, SSinstaller I've read through the numerous forums you have been a a part of. Your input on all of this is very much appreciated!

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
Fuel pump resistor is in series before the pump, connect both wires at its connector together and you dont need it at all.
Is there a good walk through for this process? I'm very new to all of this.

Thanks! Vince

Last edited by vincemoccio10; 11-08-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 11-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #13

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Remove the resistor from the car.. IIRC its one 10mm and the 2pin connector. It's mounted below the airbox on the driverside.
Cut the harness off the resistor(not the harness in the car).
Solder the two wires on the connector side of the resistor harness together, and tape them up.
Plug the resistor harness back into the connector in the engine bay and you're done.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000262 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

Last edited by SSinstaller; 11-08-2018 at 07:33 PM.
 Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you so much!! Life saver!
 Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Remove the resistor from the car.. IIRC its one 10mm and the 2pin connector. It's mounted below the airbox on the driverside.
Solder the two wires on the connector side of the resistor harness together, and tape them up.
Plug the resistor harness back into the connector in the engine bay and you're done.
I'm not sure where the two wires on the connector side of the resistor harness are... see attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5766.JPG (1.19 MB, 8 views)
 Old 11-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

Those two black wires on the resistor harness are the ones you want. Cut them in half and connect the two ends that are attached to the grey connector together. Then you can plug the grey connector back into the car, bypassing the resistor.

Soon to be installed:

Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Those two black wires on the resistor harness are the ones you want. Cut them in half and connect the two ends that are attached to the grey connector together. Then you can plug the grey connector back into the car, bypassing the resistor.
SWEET! Thanks so much!
 Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

See the image attached. I snipped the black wires then soldered them together then connected the resistor back in. Now the car is started but immediately dieing.

Did I do something wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (78.5 KB, 5 views)
 Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #19

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not seeing any cut wires in that pic....
Other rides:
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015 and I really need to get rid of it)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44)
 Old 11-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #20

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sorry, see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5781.JPG (1,000.3 KB, 5 views)
 Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

The two wires coming out of the gray connector....put those together.
Other rides:
History:
 Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

The red and green wire?

See the attachment. I just cut the one black wire and soldered it then taped it to the other black wire. It seemed odd but that is what the remember on her said to do.

Thanks for the help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (53.2 KB, 3 views)
 Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #23

Not Ranked  0 score     

Technically yes. Connect the red and green wires...but do it with the black wires on the other side of the connector. The black wire will just be a loop to connect the red and green. Making the black wire loop means you don't have to molest the main wire harness.

The directions were:
Remove the resistor from the car.

No where does it say to attach the connector wire back to the resistor. The resistor should be sitting on your work bench.

New instructions:
Cut the wire you mistakenly connected.
Remove resistor pack and set it aside (not in the trash...yet)
Remove resistor connector from the main harness.
The two black wires sticking out of the connector....solder them together.
Tape it up.
Note: If you want to use heatshrink, you should have put it on before soldering.
Plug the loopy connector back in to the main harness.
Other rides:
History:

Last edited by Fstrnyou; 11-14-2018 at 11:46 AM.
 Old 11-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

To my defense SS installer says "those two black wires on the resistor harness are the ones I want.

Maybe I read it wrong. Sorry. I will do as you said. Thank you so much for the help. I really do appreciate it!

I'm sorry but what two black wires?

The two black wires sticking out of the connector....solder them together.

Last edited by vincemoccio10; 11-14-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 11-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #25

Not Ranked  0 score     

I thought I was pretty clear in the instructions. You should have a little U of black wire attached to the grey connector when you're done.

Soon to be installed: