register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

TheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Mazdaspeed 6 Totaled. What do I do?

Hi, Today I totaled my Mazdaspeed 6 by making a very bad decision at the wrong time and wrong place like a dumbass... I can't believe I destroyed this rare car...

There were no injuries to anyone so I guess I'm lucky. I haven't got the insurance yet but I know they are going to total the car, you can see in the pics that it's obvious. The frame is ripped and bent and there is no way to repair it unless it gets straightened out and then gets some fabrication and weld work done which is very unlikely to be possible.

The insurance will give out max $4,000. I know the engine is worth $3,000 even used and the gearbox/transmission can be worth between $1,000 and $2,000. So I think I'll get much more out of it by just parting out the car rather than giving it to the insurance and taking the $4,000.

The car has 90,000 miles with leaking piston rings, so I was planning a rebuild and screwed everything up. The car has basically all power bolt-ons for maxing out the BNR S3 that's installed. I have methanol injection along with all supporting mods and a custom tune done by me with Versatuner which near maxes out the ignition timing, I have full polyurethane suspension bushings, H&R Coilovers, full poly mounts etc, all the work done by me. But that's pretty irrelevant now....

My options are to buy another Speed 6 and swapping out the parts or not buy it and just sell the after-market parts and take the $4,000 and give up the car. Or also just part out the whole car and not give anything to the insurance.

I don't know what to do, what you you guys think I should do? I did all the work and mods myself I'm good with a wrench and even have a welder to do some body work.

I'm bummed out. I loved this car. I knew nothing about cars till I got in this forum and I learned so much working on it... I feel like I'm going to loose all my enthusiasm for cars with the death of this one...

Edit: I corrected the upside down pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190315_194843.jpg (8.30 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190315_194851.jpg (9.16 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190315_194920.jpg (5.93 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by TheSixthSpeed; 03-17-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Pics upside down...
TheSixthSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #2

Turbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond reputeTurbosuby has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 7 Times in 3 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Sorry about your loss, if you have speed 6 for sale in your area you can buy another one or if not look for gen one speed 3, they are as much fun as a speed 6.
Turbosuby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbosuby For This Useful Post:
TheSixthSpeed (03-16-2019)
 Old 03-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #3

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Sorry to hear that, and glad no one was hurt. Now, honestly, at the risk of being blunt, this is not the end of the world. It’s a car. If you liked it, go get another one. They’re rare, but they’re not unicorns. Now in terms of money, it’s probably be most cost effective to completely part out the car, but I suppose that’s up to you if it’s worth the headache.

Now you’re worried that this will ruin cars for you? What? I know this sucks, but do you think that no enthusiast has ever crashed a car they loved? Pull yourself together man, again it’s not the end of the world. Get some money for the car, go buy another speed, or any other car you’ve had your eye on and get back at it. This is what insurance is for, something like this shouldn’t slow you down.

Sorry for your loss, and good luck.

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges, Eonon G9151A.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
 Old 03-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

TheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to beholdTheSixthSpeed is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thank you Bingo and Turbosuby.

I'm going to get it checked out by a body shop technician. I checked out some frame repair videos on youtube and it looks possible to straighten the front frame rails and the ripped off bracket that goes on the frame for the crash bar to bolt on to can be purchased from Mazda for like $15. So I think I'll be able to repair this car completely. We'll see how this goes. I hope I can get a second chance with this car.
 Old 03-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,271 Times in 1,832 Posts
Groans: 541
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

Originally Posted by TheSixthSpeed View Post
I know the engine is worth $3,000 even used and the gearbox/transmission can be worth between $1,000 and $2,000.
maybe you're still in shock from the accident, but those numbers are way off.

a good used motor with 100k is maybe $1800-$2000, but yours with "leaking piston rings" is pretty much just a core for a rebuild so cut that number at least in half.

as for the transmission, there's a speed6 transmission on the local craigslist for $100 and it hasn't sold yet in 6 weeks. i see another on local LKQ for $525.

could you get more than 4k out of parting out the whole car? maybe, but you'd have to take the whole car apart and sell everything just to find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pu Manchu For This Useful Post:
 Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Pu Manchu View Post
maybe you're still in shock from the accident, but those numbers are way off.

a good used motor with 100k is maybe $1800-$2000, but yours with "leaking piston rings" is pretty much just a core for a rebuild so cut that number at least in half.

as for the transmission, there's a speed6 transmission on the local craigslist for $100 and it hasn't sold yet in 6 weeks. i see another on local LKQ for $525.

could you get more than 4k out of parting out the whole car? maybe, but you'd have to take the whole car apart and sell everything just to find out.
Yeah, I got those numbers off an instant eBay search, lol. I see that craigslist is a better place to look.
Thanks for the info!
 Old 03-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #7

Izapyou has a spectacular aura aboutIzapyou has a spectacular aura about
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wanna sell your rear axles? Sorry about your loss.
Izapyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Izapyou For This Un-useful Post:
Amnesiac (03-17-2019)
 Old 03-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Izapyou View Post
Wanna sell your rear axles? Sorry about your loss.
I'm gonna see how the insurance goes. That will decide if I will end up parting out the car. I'm leaning more towards fixing this at all costs. I hope it wont be so much.
 Old 03-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #9

LenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to beholdLenSpeed6 is a splendid one to behold
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neutral  +1 score     

sorry to hear about your car, your still here and thats the most important part.

if you look on face balls people part these cars out when they need wheel bearing it seems. if your able to find another one with a good shell you could always rebuild your engine and swap the drivetrain over.
Sure Diff Mounts, JBR Intake, JBR I/C Hoses, Wiesco pistons .5mm over, Molnar H-Beam Rods, King bearings, New to me Cylinder Block, CS turbo, CS catted turbo back exhaust, CS HPFP, CS EBCS, CS injector seals, AP v3, FREEKTUNE, rebuilt clutch from Falcon Clutch with kevlar lining, DM PCV plate, DM stage 1 OCC, EcoBoost oil pump
Soon: CS HPFP line, fix oil leak from turbo return line and some more stuff....

To think... this is suppose to be my winter car... because,

'72 AMC Javelin AMX 366 CI, 4speed 13.13 quickest 1/4 mile et so far

'12 1/2 Triumph Daytona 675R stock some how
LenSpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LenSpeed6 For This Useful Post:
TheSixthSpeed (03-17-2019)
 Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by LenSpeed6 View Post
sorry to hear about your car, your still here and thats the most important part.

if you look on face balls people part these cars out when they need wheel bearing it seems. if your able to find another one with a good shell you could always rebuild your engine and swap the drivetrain over.
Lol. Cool, I may take that route if It's too expensive to straighten the frame rails. Thanks for the info!
 Old 03-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #11

Jayzon has disabled reputation
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

damn, that royally sucks. Sorry to hear about the loss
 Old 03-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #12

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 205
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by TheSixthSpeed View Post
Lol. Cool, I may take that route if It's too expensive to straighten the frame rails. Thanks for the info!
Yes, you could fix the frame. But what else has been compromised as a result of the crash. It will just never be, or feel the same IMHO.

You may find you have a hard time getting the alignment back in spec after all that work. If you're intent on fixing it get it done at a professional shop. Or at least get a quote and opinion.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote