register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

stars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud of
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MS6, is it worth it?

Hi everyone, itís been a long time., I have the opportunity to pick up an 07 MS6 GT with 152k miles on it for $2,000. It was never abused and the two previous owners were female adults. Itís overall condition is great except the tear on the rear bench seat. The other downfall is that it throws a lean bank one light at WOT but when youíre driving normal, itís just fine. I remember throwing that same code when I owned my MS3 and it was just a vacuum/boost leak.

The question is, should I pick it up? Iíve seen a few with high mileage running just fine and have seen some with low mileage having a lot of issues. I was hoping a few MS6 guys would chime in with their opinions. If I pick it up, I already planned on changing the fuel pump internals, rear diff mount, engine/trans mounts. I just daily driving to be fun again yet reliable.

i <3 understeer...
boost makes for fast cars, understeer makes for fast drivers...
stars.eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #2

jfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,409 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I loved mine and had it for 9 1/2 years before selling it.

The major reason behind me selling it was the rust issues mine had but it went through salty New England winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2002 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Cabriolet
jfspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,689 Posts
Groans: 59
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If the compression is good, I'd buy it.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks

Soon to be installed:
ST manifold w/ port injection : Raduim Engineering PCV Plate : Radium Engineering PCV valve : Radium Engineering Fuel filter : Aeromotive FPR : DCR VVT : TI Automotive F90000274 Fuel Pump : NX 15718 : Split Second AIC

SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #4

stars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud ofstars.eg6 has much to be proud of
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by jfspeed6 View Post
I loved mine and had it for 9 1/2 years before selling it.

The major reason behind me selling it was the rust issues mine had but it went through salty New England winters.

Nice man, did you have any major problems with it prior to selling it other than dusting?

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
If the compression is good, I'd buy it.
Iím really thinking about it. Compression checked out, no play in the turbo shaft, just worried I wonít be able to track down the cause of the CEL right away. I guess I would be okay driving fighting the urge of going WOT until I fix it.

i <3 understeer...

Last edited by stars.eg6; 03-10-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #5

jfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the worldjfspeed6 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,409 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 5
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by stars.eg6 View Post
Nice man, did you have any major problems with it prior to selling it other than dusting?

Iím really thinking about it. Compression checked out, no play in the turbo shaft, just worried I wonít be able to track down the cause of the CEL right away. I guess I would be okay driving fighting the urge of going WOT until I fix it.

I never really had any issues with mine. More general maintenance than anything. I did the upgraded VVT gear and timing chain before anything major happened.

I didnít push it to its limits either. I was on an OTS Cobb tune.

2002 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 Cabriolet
jfspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #6

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If engine is solid, just consider doing the timing chain + VVT unless you confirm it was done.

I personally wouldn't rely on a 12 years old turbo car without a B plan to reach work if you need to drive there.....I have one and i also have a 2013 mz3 to carry the parts...

Having some spare money ready to throw at it isn't a bad thing either because you will need to repair/replace some 1 day or another...

If you don't thrust your right foot on the way back to stay out of boost, just disconnect the EBCS wire connector, it won't rise above 10psi....

Femelle title doesn't always mean grandma driven.......Or taken care of...

2007 rusted Speed6... in progress...
1993 Ford Probe KLZE 143dB
2012 Mazda3 Gs-sky 6.5l/100 when transporting speed parts
1989 GM 6.2 diesel pickup
Wife drive 2010 CX7

2007 speed3 burned (i'm proud to ran 12.7s with it)

...Because French Canadian...

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
Jeff23spl is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #7
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,315 Times in 1,859 Posts
Groans: 546
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

it's gonna cost you a lot more than $2,000 to call it "reliable"
 Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #8

Jayzon has disabled reputation
Groans: 0
Not Ranked  0 score     

I say do it!
 Old 03-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #9

eroler1 is a jewel in the rougheroler1 is a jewel in the rougheroler1 is a jewel in the rougheroler1 is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

what are the advantage of having a 6 vs 3?
AWD and no torque steer, any other else? performance wise....
eroler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,315 Times in 1,859 Posts
Groans: 546
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

performance wise a usable 2nd and 3rd gear is pretty much it, past that you're losing out from 10-15% more weight.
 Old 03-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #11

Jeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the worldJeff23spl is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

®^^^^This

I had a BT speed3 and before 80km/h(45-50mh) traction was the power limitation with 245 40 street sticky compound on a dry and sunny day...In the snow, the speed3 wasn't any faster than my 3gs with same tires...And the 6 was really fun to drive and..drift...

I got a ms6 to get rid of this lack of traction but i was used to a short and responsive car in traffic and the 6 is the opposite, (heavy and need more space and angle to turn and park.)
That weight come with benefits, traction but also ride confort and noise isolation is a lot better too.
You will definitely lose from a roll against a 3 with the same power or even with a 50hp difference...(unless 1 driver suck)

I don't know yet how would a BT 6 react to better compare but i hope to be able this summer with a new heart, lungs and clutch in it....

Wife drive 2010 CX7

If you check for leaks and you didn't made a test under compressor pressure, you aren't done checking for leaks....
 Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #12

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 23
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Most of my driving is below 50mph in suburb/city traffic. So the 6 is good for me. I occasionally let it flex on the highway though. The only time I'm ever annoyed about the extra weight is taking off from a stop.
Versatuner, 3-bar MAP, ITV22, CP-e TMIC
CS Turbo/DP/RP/HPFP/BPV/R-DiffMount
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Rear Russian Bushings, Poly FSB Bushings
Magnaflow CBE, ACT 6-puck/Streetlite
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/OCC/PCV Plate
Other rides:
2014 F-150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (13.467 @ 105.44)
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks for the input guys. I’m not really concerned too much about being crazy fast. Just want to have some enjoyment on my daily commute and have a backseat that can fit normal sized humans. If I sell my Cressida this weekend, I’ll pick up the MS6.

i <3 understeer...
 Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

RazerX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think the 6vs 3 difference is not worth the money. Although, if money is not a prob for you, then why not?
RazerX is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #15

GohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of lightGohanX is a glorious beacon of light
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by eroler1 View Post
what are the advantage of having a 6 vs 3?
AWD and no torque steer, any other else? performance wise....
The cars handle completely completely differently, which one is better is up to the individual. I can't stand taking a high hp fwd car through a corner, but the 6 loves it want wants more.
GohanX is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #16

eroler1 is a jewel in the rougheroler1 is a jewel in the rougheroler1 is a jewel in the rougheroler1 is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 1
Not Ranked  0 score     

i actually own both lol but never driven the 6 "yet" got a decent deal on a rolling shell (bolwn headgasket) and my ms3 used to have built block sleeved, etc but now I actually moved the build to ms6 so just wondering if i did the right thing, my ms3 is currently running with cx7 spare motor
rest is getting transplanted to six when tappets gets here.
all i know is when hitting 400 tq on speed 3 with 18x10 NT05 with all the mounts and traction bar, torque steer isnt fun.....
eroler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #17

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by eroler1 View Post
all i know is when hitting 400 tq on speed 3 with 18x10 NT05 with all the mounts and traction bar, torque steer isnt fun.....
Torque steer could be impressive but being safe to hold the steering and your coffee with the same hand while shifting under boost with the other is priceless...

Wife drive 2010 CX7