register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

berkleyboost has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Talking N00b

Hey guys new to the MS3 scene and I just picked up what is basically a barn find. A 2008 MS3 Sport with 76000 miles on it. Its only been driven 400 miles since its last oil change in September of 2017. I'm going to start with Cobb stage 1 but before that what are some maintenance things to get out of the way first? This car is completely stock. Obviously it needs a good wash lol

https://imgur.com/a/gp3q2Ep
berkleyboost is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,160 Times in 961 Posts
Groans: 435
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do some more reading. You can get much better for your money then going to Cobb and getting their "stage 1" package.
danb (07-09-2018)
 Old 07-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 11
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

You should also check your vvt and continue reading
 Old 07-09-2018, 04:56 AM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
You should also check your vvt and continue reading
I set an online appointment with the local mazda dealer....any chance they'll cut me a break with the recall n shit? How much should I expect to pay otherwise?
 Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

crankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the world
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Nice find.
Feel the Bern
The Following User Says Thank You to crankshaft For This Useful Post:
berkleyboost (07-09-2018)
 Old 07-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #6

Bingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the worldBingo is the leader of the world
Groans: 16
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just tossing this out there, but there may be a reason that it hasn't been driven in a year. I would do a compression and leakdown test (of course now I'm gonna do that on every car I buy)

Things that don't: Gen Pu wheels, CPE center pod with Prosport boost, OP, and OT gauges.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Just tossing this out there, but there may be a reason that it hasn't been driven in a year. I would do a compression and leakdown test (of course now I'm gonna do that on every car I buy)
I've got an appointment for the vvt shit in august. i dont mind throwing another 3k to get it tip top (shouldnt take anywhere near that for the milage.) The previous owner bought a CX something because of the traffic in SF. They got tired of the manual transmission. lol his loss.

Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Nice find.
Feel the Bern
Thanks! that sticker gotta gooooo! lol

Last edited by berkleyboost; 07-09-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 07-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #8

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by berkleyboost View Post
I set an online appointment with the local mazda dealer....any chance they'll cut me a break with the recall n shit?
No
White Widow F-DiffMount, Whiteline RSB
Russian Bushings in Back, Magnaflow CBE
JBR Tru-3.5/3-port EBCS/EGR-D
Damond RMM/PMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Forged build ongoing. Manley H-Tuff & 2618, King Bearings

Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - 355k mile Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Vansquish (07-09-2018)
 Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world
Thanked 6,835 Times in 2,673 Posts
Groans: 1,803
Groaned at 45 Times in 26 Posts

I set an online appointment with the local mazda dealer....any chance they'll cut me a break with the recall n shit? How much should I expect to pay otherwise?
As far as I'm aware, there's no "recall" at all. Only a technical service bulletin and an extended warranty program for specific parts. I'm pretty sure your car is outside the limits for all of those things, so you're going to be paying through the nose. You're looking at something in the neighborhood of $1100-$1200.

Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
berkleyboost (07-10-2018)
 Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
As far as I'm aware, there's no "recall" at all. Only a technical service bulletin and an extended warranty program for specific parts. I'm pretty sure your car is outside the limits for all of those things, so you're going to be paying through the nose. You're looking at something in the neighborhood of $1100-$1200.

I can deal with 1200 to make it a solid runner.

So whats the first mod i should make after the vvt job? Accessport? SRI? I value everyone's experienced opinion. First boosted car. First tuner type care with any real potential.

Last edited by berkleyboost; 07-10-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Police - Grammarhead

Vansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the worldVansquish is the leader of the world

@berkleyboost;, you should look at your welcome PM, and the links it includes. There's a wealth of information in there.

I would start with HPFP internals, an Accessport, and an upgraded rear motor mount. Beyond that, start looking at SRI/TMIC/FMIC/Downpipe, and so forth.

Before doing ANY air or exhaust-flow modifications, you 100% need the upgraded HPFP internals and a tuning solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vansquish For This Useful Post:
berkleyboost (07-11-2018)
 Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #12

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

@berkleyboost;, you should look at your welcome PM, and the links it includes. There's a wealth of information in there.

I would start with HPFP internals, an Accessport, and an upgraded rear motor mount. Beyond that, start looking at SRI/TMIC/FMIC/Downpipe, and so forth.

Before doing ANY air or exhaust-flow modifications, you 100% need the upgraded HPFP internals and a tuning solution.

Thanks man I will do exactly that. Additionally, who has the best rear motor mount?
 Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
Police - Grammarhead

If you're looking for a cheap-o alternative, you can buy the Ford Focus Electric rear motor mount for about $50.00.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...hoCoo8QAvD_BwE

Otherwise, you're looking at about $100-$200 for an aftermarket one. The parts from Damond Motorsports, CP-E, Cobb, Corksport, Steeda, are all fine pieces. You really just need to spend some time looking and see what you think you might like. Unless you want a loud, rattly, vibration-prone driving experience, I would recommend getting something with a bushing with a durometer no higher than about 80.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #14

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Your next step should be making a visit to your tailor.
You need to get fitted for a flame suit if you're going to ask those questions.

Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
Db09ms3 (07-12-2018), JSmith (07-11-2018), Vansquish (07-12-2018)
 Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Your next step should be making a visit to your tailor.
You need to get fitted for a flame suit if you're going to ask those questions.
What questions? Normal reality based questions? Like the ones i've been asking?

you'll love this...called mazdas all day...so far the cheapest i've found is $2054 out the door and thats at a dealer an hour away... still gonna get it done tho.

additionally i thought i was hearing the chain under acceleration a couple days ago but today after it warmed up the chain got tight again and sounded fine...so im hoping i wont need all the shit in that quote...

Last edited by berkleyboost; 07-11-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #16

Solarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Dude...VVT kit + Massive Speed timing tool is $473.97 on Edge Autosport. Half the NATOR community already has the tool and has already done this or at least been present during one. You can probably just buy the kit for $409, donate $25 to become a member here, access your local NATOR forum, and ask for help. Sure beats $2054 from a dealer. Hell, even if you're antisocial and don't want to make new friends, you can pay $25 and download the shop manual in the VIP section and do it yourself. There's no chance I'd pay $2000 at a dealer for anything that doesn't include a new engine.

Edit: Oh...and one more thing... You'll also save enough money to buy HPFP internals ($350), a Cobb AP ($650), a RMM ($125), a Full Intake ($250), a Test Pipe ($144), AND a e-tune ($100)... Just sayin...

Last edited by Solarsurge; 07-12-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Solarsurge is online now   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #17

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thanks man I will do exactly that. Additionally, who has the best rear motor mount?
Search with google.com like this:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=7qh....0.aYQ0njPBA84

There are a TON of threads an opinions on Motor Mounts. Including my own thread...

RMM Comparison Opinions: CP-E S2 vs JBR 70 vs E-Focus?
Current Performance Mods: JBR 3.0 SRI, ETS TMIC, SpeedDaddy TP, AT HPFP, Damond RMM, Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly, Stoptech Slotted Rotors, EBC RedStuff Pads, APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30, Enkei 18x8.5 PF01, Continental EC Sport 245/45R18, JBR Shift Bushings,
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX, Phoenix Gold Fronts, Focal Rears, Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure, PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
Other Mods: Low Note Additional Horn
Mods Awaitting Install: JBR TMIC Red Boost Tubes, DM OCC w/VTA
Future Mods:Injector Seals, Struts, Springs, Suspension Bushings, DM PMM & TMM
Removed Mods: JBR 70A RMM
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #18

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
Dude...VVT kit + Massive Speed timing tool is $473.97 on Edge Autosport. Half the NATOR community already has the tool and has already done this or at least been present during one. You can probably just buy the kit for $409, donate $25 to become a member here, access your local NATOR forum, and ask for help. Sure beats $2054 from a dealer. Hell, even if you're antisocial and don't want to make new friends, you can pay $25 and download the shop manual in the VIP section and do it yourself. There's no chance I'd pay $2000 at a dealer for anything that doesn't include a new engine.

Edit: Oh...and one more thing... You'll also save enough money to buy HPFP internals ($350), a Cobb AP ($650), a RMM ($125), a Full Intake ($250), a Test Pipe ($144), AND a e-tune ($100)... Just sayin...
But the warranty man the warranty! The dealer will take the parts i provide but if something goes wrong later...it'd be solely on me. I like having someone else to blame ya know? im gonna call around soCal to see if i can find a better price...i dont mind making a trip out of it.
 Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #19

Solarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond reputeSolarsurge has a reputation beyond repute
Not Ranked  0 score     

But the warranty man the warranty! The dealer will take the parts i provide but if something goes wrong later...it'd be solely on me. I like having someone else to blame ya know? im gonna call around soCal to see if i can find a better price...i dont mind making a trip out of it.

Mazda acknowledges there were faulty VVT units. Mazda revised the design on those units to limit reoccurrence of failures. Mazda refused to honor warranty repairs even knowing they were 100% at fault. They then took it a step further to defeat a class action suit regarding said faulty VVT units. Do you honestly believe in some magical corner of the universe there is a Mazda technician that has NOT received specific instruction to charge full price for this exact repair and deny warranty claims? I mean shit... I’ll fix your VVT for $2054 and I’ll warranty it. I could use the extra $1600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 07-13-2018, 04:05 AM   #20

Not Ranked  0 score     

I think he means Mazda will warranty the repair work if they screw up the repair.

Other rides:
History:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
berkleyboost (07-19-2018), kTaLgsTo (07-13-2018)
 Old 07-13-2018, 04:13 AM   #21

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
I think he means Mazda will warranty the repair work if they screw up the repair.
They absolutely will not cover the new VVT under warranty for the same reason they won't cover the original under warranty. Their official stance on VVTs are that there are too many ways the owner could cause it to fail. Do your own oil changes? Fail. Use anything other than full synthetic 5w-30 oil? Fail. Use anything other than genuine Mazda parts anywhere in your car? Fail. You would literally have to dump THOUSANDS of dollars into Mazda OEM parts and never get any service done anywhere other than Mazda and have a pristine paper trail of all work performed on the car and mileage records for them to ever cover it. And let's be realistic, that's just not going to happen. This is Mazda's official stance, not mine. But he can go ahead and try to prove me wrong. lol

https://www.aboutlawsuits.com/mazda-...-defect-70072/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ismissed.shtml
 Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #22

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm fairly certain an auto shop is required to warranty craftsmanship.

If you get your tires rotated and they all fall off 5 miles down the road, the shop is at fault and are responsible for damages.

Other rides:
History: