register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SSinstaller

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 10-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #1

WillEngineer is an unknown quantity at this point
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default New Speed3 already in shop

So, purchased a 13 Speed3 about 3-4 weeks ago. Just over 50,000 miles from a local Mazda dealership.

Everything seemed to be working just fine, until Monday night when I was on the way home from work. I hit a bump in the road and the oil pressure light came on. I wasn't immediately sure what I had seen, so I hit the brakes hard to see if it happened again and sure enough it did. Luckily I was basically pulling into the neighborhood when this all started, so I didn't have to drive it much.

I let it cool down, and checked the dipstick. Bone dry. I added a quart. Dry. Repeat. Dry. Repeat. Dry.

Took the better part of 4 quarts for it to register on the dipstick. And even then, when I got 4 quarts dumped in, the oil was still almost jet black.

So I sent a text off to the dealership management (I still had their number), and he asked me to bring it in. So I drove it in Tuesday, and they are thinking that they didn't fill it up with oil correctly when they did the pre-owned inspection. If it burned off 4 quarts of oil in 900 miles, you would have thought I'd have seen quite a bit of smoke. At least they are owning up to the fact they made a major mistake. So they are keeping it a week and running some tests on the car. One guy in service told me that they had my back on it, so makes me feel better. Normally when I have a car I am pretty good about checking oil every couple of Saturdays. My previous car, and Si, burned a bit and I check it. My Tacoma has a small leak, so I check it. I just hadn't done that yet on this car since I had just purchased it from a dealer. That peace of mind is what you pay extra for on a car like this. Guess that is a lesson learned for me there.

The crazy thing is, there have been no indications I could feel of anything abnormal. Power and fuel economy seemed fine. Engine noises seemed fine. Only on a couple of occasions did I notice it take a couple of extra cranks when it was turning over first thing in the morning. It was a new car to me, so I didn't know if that was abnormal or not. I had planned on getting the battery checked if it continued to happen.

I asked the shop advisor if he thought anything like rod bearings or such could have suffered damage, and he mentioned that it would take a complete engine tear down to know anything about the bottom end. With the sludge running through it, I have to wonder if there is a surprise waiting for me down the road with this car. I brought that up to the owner, and he told me no one wants to see that happen to the car under their watch either.

So, only had it a month and then this. Blah.
WillEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,632 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sounds like a free extended warrantee is in order... Powertrain coverage for 3 years or 36k miles should be long enough to find out if there is any real damage..
crankshaft likes this.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,065 Times in 1,713 Posts
Groans: 520
Groaned at 169 Times in 106 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

bein that low, your engine internals definitely got hot and definitely took some early wear, especially if it was 900 miles.
 Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 58
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

How do you forget to fill the car with oil! Sorry to hear. I would be getting my money back or like SS Installer said get an extended warranty out of it. Being 4 quarts low definitely decreased that engines lifespan.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/ Torque Solutions Shifter base bushings
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Back in college, I worked for a Honda dealer for a couple of years. I saw some pretty bone-headed people. However, most of them were confined to the oil change side. The used car guys tended to be some of be better mechanics in the place. But in light of the evidence, it seems the most plausible explanation...that someone didn't top the oil off after changing it.

I mean, I personally would think that if I burned through 4 quarts of oil in say 1000 miles, I would have seen evidence of it somewhere. Tail pipe smoke, leaks, etc. I mean, a quart per week. I have never had something that burned through oil that fast, but I would think if it was it couldn't hide itself.

I mentioned to the advisor that I dropped it off with that even after adding 4 quarts of oil the oil in the pan was still jet black. His response was it probably got driven during a few test drives before I purchased it. I was trying to imagine how many people test drove the car and if they were driving it to the next state and back or something. I could see maybe 100 miles or so of test driving, but nothing worth turning the oil black that quickly. A different person called me back to tell me they need to keep it a week, and that was who I asked about rod bearing damage. He told me they are pretty stout motors. No motor is so stout as to stand up to having only 1/3 its required oil.

Anyway, I'll fill everyone in on the results when they call me back. I'm in a loaner 2017 3 for the week. Not a bad drive, at least as soon as I can get used to the funky infotainment unit.
 Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

Jonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the worldJonb82 is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes they do have stout motors with a good tune. Do you have any of this in writing? If you do you should demand them to buy it back, or at least file a complaint with Mazda. Only bad thing is that if you do plan on modding down the road, you will throw out any of your ground for them fixing it if anything were to happen.

Sent while probably pooping
CS TIP/SRI CS RMM CS Sexy Steering Wheel CS Springs & Struts CS Shirt Throw Shifter CS Shifter Bushings CS TBE CS Boost Tubes CP-e TMIC HKS BOV in resirc DM Vented OCC DM TMM DM PMM DM SSP Autotech Internals Custom E33 Freaktune
Jonb82 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, dropped the car off last Tuesday morning. Got a call back this afternoon from the GM.

He mentioned that his shop foreman is seeing significant oil consumption, but cannot pinpoint the source...if it is from the engine or turbo. No mention of what I heard last time, that the oil was not properly topped off. He told me (without me asking), that he'd feel better if he could just buy the car back. So, as soon as I'm a member of the Mazdaspeed3 community...I'm out.

Oh well...maybe I'll find another one. Getting harder and harder to find good examples though.
 Old 10-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,065 Times in 1,713 Posts
Groans: 520
Groaned at 169 Times in 106 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by WillEngineer View Post
No mention of what I heard last time, that the oil was not properly topped off. He told me (without me asking), that he'd feel better if he could just buy the car back.
sweet, i bet they just put it back on the lot
 Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #9

distortion has much to be proud ofdistortion has much to be proud ofdistortion has much to be proud ofdistortion has much to be proud ofdistortion has much to be proud ofdistortion has much to be proud ofdistortion has much to be proud ofdistortion has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

So, dropped the car off last Tuesday morning. Got a call back this afternoon from the GM.

He mentioned that his shop foreman is seeing significant oil consumption, but cannot pinpoint the source...if it is from the engine or turbo. No mention of what I heard last time, that the oil was not properly topped off. He told me (without me asking), that he'd feel better if he could just buy the car back. So, as soon as I'm a member of the Mazdaspeed3 community...I'm out.

Oh well...maybe I'll find another one. Getting harder and harder to find good examples though.
Well that is a bummer to hear but better then being stuck with a potential issue. Keep an eye out though - Speeds are pretty awesome for what they are and with the current forum knowledge are pretty solid cars.

Originally Posted by Pu Manchu View Post
sweet, i bet they just put it back on the lot
Probably right?

Cobb AP|CP-E HPFP|Corksport SRI/TIP|Corksport TMIC|UR Test Pipe|Corksport Cold Air Box|Corksport Rear Sway Bar|JBR Shifter Bushings|Corksport RMM|Techna Fit Stainless Brake Lines|Ultraguage|Stratified E85

Last edited by distortion; 10-12-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

drive_sideways has a spectacular aura aboutdrive_sideways has a spectacular aura aboutdrive_sideways has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

That GM is a nice guy though, instead of sticking you with all the costs he bought it back.

Definitely a dealer I would conduct business with.

Bummer to hear of such issues though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drive_sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #11

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 58
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm surprised they didn't offer you a new long block on their dime. Its what they'll most likely need to do anyways. That would be a sweet deal for you. Maybe go back and suggest that to them.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/ Torque Solutions Shifter base bushings
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote