register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #1

Speedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  -1 score     
Default PTP's intake manifold porting

Decided to open a new thread. I don't know enough about porting work to know if it is a quality job or not, but, my installer was impressed. He said he's seen port work that looked like it was done with a pickax. But he said the port work on my manifold was top-notch. Don't know yet about how it runs, but, he liked the work. Just thought John might like to hear this.

Last edited by Speedie6; 05-08-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Speedie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedie6 For This Useful Post:
Fagwagon (10-15-2009)
 Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Rutedown will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Could they use some thicker gaskets to keep the drop in the CR to a minimum? I remember in my last car many big hp folks ran Cometic 3 or 4 layer head gaskets.
Rutedown is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #3

Speedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the worldSpeedie6 is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I started a shit-storm in the PG thread, so, I think I should drop discussion of that product. I hear rumors of someone else doing a teflon gasket that might be better.
 Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

Not Ranked  0 score     

I wasn't thinking about the Teflon or phenolic type of spacers. I was thinking more like multi-layers steel gaskets.

Cometic MLS Gaskets, Multi-layer Stainless Steel Custom Head gaskets ON Sale
 Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

We seem to be talking about two different things. Head gaskets are very different from the gaskets for the manifold.
 Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #6

Not Ranked  0 score     

deleted

Last edited by Rutedown; 05-08-2009 at 01:41 AM.
 Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

Never mind the last post. We're definitely talking about two different things.
 Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #8

6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Any pics? I have an extra intake I would like to get ported.
 Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Rutedown View Post
I renamed the thread to make it more explicit that I was talking about the intake manifold porting. You must have thought I was talking about the head work.
 Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 6-Speed-6 View Post
No. As soon as I got it in, I dropped it off at my shop. Sorry. I thought John said he was going to do some pics before shipping, but, maybe I'm mistaken.
 Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
ILL3ST

xcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the worldxcoldricex is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,291 Times in 592 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 30 Times in 22 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

what is he charging for the PNP?
xcoldricex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
Banned

ptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,743 Times in 671 Posts
Groans: 23
Groaned at 75 Times in 47 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Could they use some thicker gaskets to keep the drop in the CR to a minimum? I remember in my last car many big hp folks ran Cometic 3 or 4 layer head gaskets.
You are talking head gaskets, check our site we have them listed with head studs.

Originally Posted by Speedie6 View Post
Well, I started a shit-storm in the PG thread, so, I think I should drop discussion of that product. I hear rumors of someone else doing a teflon gasket that might be better.
LOL, sorry to hear that. I am not going to get involved with this but we should have our gaskets out soon.

I wasn't thinking about the Teflon or phenolic type of spacers. I was thinking more like multi-layers steel gaskets.

Cometic MLS Gaskets, Multi-layer Stainless Steel Custom Head gaskets ON Sale
Listed on our site. 5 layer head gasket with head studs. Should drop .2 CR from the motor.

We seem to be talking about two different things. Head gaskets are very different from the gaskets for the manifold.
Yes we are, and I hope that I have gotten that answered, thanks.

Got you taken care of.

Look at the bottom of this post for details as well as pictures (or a link).

No. As soon as I got it in, I dropped it off at my shop. Sorry. I thought John said he was going to do some pics before shipping, but, maybe I'm mistaken.
I have some, I will get them posted.

Originally Posted by xcoldricex View Post
what is he charging for the PNP?
$400 for the port work, EGT delete and VTA runner flapper delete. If you want me to cut and weld the holes in the top of the manifold off and smooth them we can for an additional charge. Thanks.

Here is a link http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ok-around.html and a picture below. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg product pictures 2 005.jpg (669.2 KB, 89 views)
ptperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by ptperformance View Post
$400 for the port work, EGT delete and VTA runner flapper delete. If you want me to cut and weld the holes in the top of the manifold off and smooth them we can for an additional charge. Thanks.
I don't even know what all I got. I believe I got all of that, except maybe that last part about the cutting and welding the top holes, whatever that is. Can you elaborate?

P.S. You forgot to say thanks for the plug from my shop!
 Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Banned

ptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the worldptperformance is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't even know what all I got. I believe I got all of that, except maybe that last part about the cutting and welding the top holes, whatever that is. Can you elaborate?

P.S. You forgot to say thanks for the plug from my shop!
Sorry, tell them thanks for me.

We didn't fill weld or plug those because we never talked about it. That is what we would do if your were going to do the complete VTA delete. We didn't have time to talk about this so... you got what we could get done as soon as possible.
 Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #15

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

We didn't fill weld or plug those because we never talked about it. That is what we would do if your were going to do the complete VTA delete. We didn't have time to talk about this so... you got what we could get done as soon as possible.
Well, I did say I wanted the works. But, I also said I was under time constraints.

At any rate, I don't even understand this VTA delete. Can you elaborate? I know that the BOV can be run in recirc or VTA, as can a wastegate. But I don't know about what you are talking about.
 Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #16

Deadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 31 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i think he is talking about VTCS delete..
 Old 05-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, I did say I wanted the works. But, I also said I was under time constraints.

At any rate, I don't even understand this VTA delete. Can you elaborate? I know that the BOV can be run in recirc or VTA, as can a wastegate. But I don't know about what you are talking about.
What he said VVVV.

Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
i think he is talking about VTCS delete..
Yes, thanks. VTCS delete was performed on the manifold in question.
 Old 05-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #18

SneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the worldSneakyP86 is the leader of the world
Groans: 18
Groaned at 19 Times in 13 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

mine is off getting done right now......think I'm gonna powder coat it before installing though.

I'VE BEEN PLAYING DUMB FOR SO LONG ITS NOT A GAME ANYMORE

IF IT WAS WORTH THE TIME IT TOOK YOU TO GET EVEN THAN WHY DIDNT YOU TAKE A LITTLE MORE AND GET AHEAD?
SneakyP86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SneakyP86 View Post
mine is off getting done right now......think I'm gonna powder coat it before installing though.
I would check on ceramic before powder coating it. Just helps with the heat.
 Old 05-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #20

Deadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the worldDeadman is the leader of the world
Groans: 1
Groaned at 31 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Pcoating works well. Been done on many, mine will be done by bonehead performance. There will be pics soon of my completed mani
 Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
Pcoating works well. Been done on many, mine will be done by bonehead performance. There will be pics soon of my completed mani
Keep us posted with pictures when its all done, thanks.
 Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SneakyP86 View Post
I had plans on getting mine ceramic'ed. I have ceramic on my exhaust manifold and on my DP. But, due to some time constraints, I decided to blow it off. So, no ceramic on my intake mani.
 Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, thanks. VTCS delete was performed on the manifold in question.
Okay, I have heard of VTCS. But, I'm pretty ignorant about it too. Can you elaborate? And, if you did do the VTCS delete, then, what was the other thing you said that you could do for an extra cost?
 Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #24
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Okay, I have heard of VTCS. But, I'm pretty ignorant about it too. Can you elaborate? And, if you did do the VTCS delete, then, what was the other thing you said that you could do for an extra cost?
Ok the VTCS delete is getting rid of those flappers in the runners. The extra thing I could do for you was to weld up the vacuum ports to the runners for the VTCS control and the runner shaft to the number 4 cly. I didn't do any of this due to the time restraints we had on getting the manifold done. I did get the VTCS cut out and sealed up as well as the runners ported and t-body side ported out and cleaned up. We also deleted the EGR port like we talked about. That is what you got and its going to work just fine, its just going to look like a stock manifold (sleeper look) when people look at it.
 Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That is what you got and its going to work just fine, its just going to look like a stock manifold (sleeper look) when people look at it.
That's fine. Thanks.

In some thread, I think you said that the VTCS delete takes like 200 RPM off spool time. Did I recall correctly? Thanks.
 Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #26
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes, we see quicker spool times.
 Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #27

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Reviving a dead thread...

I saw a thread on another forum talking about his intake porting. (In the same thread, he also talks about his design for a PCV fix, but, that isn't what I'm wanting to address here.) So, about his intake porting:

StreetUnitForum.com (see post #57)

There is discussion about balancing the flow. Our runners are of different lengths, and so they don't get the same flow. His machine shop was doing what they can with the thing to balance the flow. I don't know how he measured CFM, but, in his post, he claims the CFM's are now at least close to balanced, if not perfect. I don't know how he measured CFM.

But, I was just wondering if PTP had done any attempts to balance the flow? Since I got his port work done, I was just curious as to what the impact on the balance might be of John's work.
 Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #28
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Reviving a dead thread...

I saw a thread on another forum talking about his intake porting. (In the same thread, he also talks about his design for a PCV fix, but, that isn't what I'm wanting to address here.) So, about his intake porting:

StreetUnitForum.com (see post #57)

There is discussion about balancing the flow. Our runners are of different lengths, and so they don't get the same flow. His machine shop was doing what they can with the thing to balance the flow. I don't know how he measured CFM, but, in his post, he claims the CFM's are now at least close to balanced, if not perfect. I don't know how he measured CFM.

But, I was just wondering if PTP had done any attempts to balance the flow? Since I got his port work done, I was just curious as to what the impact on the balance might be of John's work.
Yes we have but there is one problem with this, flow is not that big of a deal at vacuum or at 0, its when you start adding boost to the car that you need to measure flow at. As soon as you go from sucking to blowing into the manifold things are going to change. This is why we send our manifolds out to be sonic tested (NV has a test staition that does this) and dye marked. When we get the manifolds back we can then check where the dye is and find out what runners need to have what done to them. After that we take measurments of the runners (some times we pour a high density foam mold) so we can keep accurate port shapes.

The sonic testing is the only way you can get "flow" numbers when it comes to a pressurized part, and the flow numbers are skewed because its "under pressure", so if I were to tell you that the stock manifold flowed 1800 + CFM people would call BS, but that is with it tested at 30 psi.

Like it was said in another thread..... thems just numbers, its not until you get it on the dyno or at the track to verify that its working better than the OEM part.
 Old 10-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #29

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes we have but there is one problem with this, flow is not that big of a deal at vacuum or at 0, its when you start adding boost to the car that you need to measure flow at. As soon as you go from sucking to blowing into the manifold things are going to change. This is why we send our manifolds out to be sonic tested (NV has a test staition that does this) and dye marked. When we get the manifolds back we can then check where the dye is and find out what runners need to have what done to them. After that we take measurments of the runners (some times we pour a high density foam mold) so we can keep accurate port shapes.

The sonic testing is the only way you can get "flow" numbers when it comes to a pressurized part, and the flow numbers are skewed because its "under pressure", so if I were to tell you that the stock manifold flowed 1800 + CFM people would call BS, but that is with it tested at 30 psi.
I didn't know there was that much into it. Thanks for the info.
 Old 10-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #30

6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute6-Speed-6 has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Side note: I have a stock intake for sale if anyone wants it and send it to PTP for porting. I can even ship it directly to PTP if someone wants too.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...art-out-39984/
 Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #31
The Kamikaze King!

FreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the worldFreeFlyFreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,253 Posts
Groans: 754
Groaned at 128 Times in 100 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Side note: I have a stock intake for sale if anyone wants it and send it to PTP for porting. I can even ship it directly to PTP if someone wants too.

Smart post

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/FreeFlyFreak/speed-3

Suspension:
OEM --> FSD 4040 --> FSD 4040 with cut stops --> MS Coils --> FSD 4045's --> FSD4045 with cut stops --> Bilstein Sports

Yes, that is me in the avatar.
FreeFlyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #32

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,129 Times in 1,333 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 279 Times in 248 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

deleted... i found it...

someone else is selling theirs too for $50 cheaper....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by hnda etr; 10-15-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
hnda etr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #33

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by hnda etr View Post
How much is the P-n-P through PTP?
He has a few different options, whether you do the VCTS delete, EGR delete. I think mine was $400, but, I can't remember for sure. But, if I was doing again, I would not get the EGR delete, and do that external/reversable for emissions test reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedie6 For This Useful Post:
hnda etr (10-15-2009)
 Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #34

hnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the worldhnda etr is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,129 Times in 1,333 Posts
Groans: 90
Groaned at 279 Times in 248 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

John,

how much for the p-n-p with the vcts delete (including filling all the holes and stuff)?

Also, reply to my PM damnit!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hnda etr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #35
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by hnda etr View Post
John,

how much for the p-n-p with the vcts delete (including filling all the holes and stuff)?

Also, reply to my PM damnit!!
PM replied to, thanks.

$450 for the works, this would be welded up and smoothed manifold with the delete and vacuum canister mod directions.

We can PC for $80 more and Ceramic for $140 additional. Let me know when you want to get this done.

Thanks.