register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 5doorsoffury
  • 1 Post By flapjack
  • 2 Post By aackthpt
  • 1 Post By KhalidBiary
  • 1 Post By KhalidBiary

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

KhalidBiary is on a distinguished road
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Race Pipe / Test Pipe

Hey guys,

I currently have two resonators removed and was thinking of buying a testpipe/racepipe. I was wondering if it would make my exhaust backfire more or what not? Since it's removing a cat , will it cause a lot more popping and crackling?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KhalidBiary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say NO Thank You to KhalidBiary For This Un-useful Post:
g00s3y (11-15-2017), Thepedigree13 (11-15-2017)
 Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 AM   #2

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,111 Times in 931 Posts
Groans: 403
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Fucking ricer
aackthpt (11-15-2017), Db09ms3 (11-17-2017), KiwiFlavor (11-15-2017), tegxsi (11-15-2017), Thepedigree13 (11-15-2017)
 Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
Don

Don has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond reputeDon has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

The louder the better.

Corksport catted turbo back
Corksport SRI W/TIP
Autotech internals
AP3 Running PD tune
Stock turbo. Waiting for it to go
Konig deception wheels
BC br coilovers

Oh yea..... I won the lottery!!!!!
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #4

alden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant futurealden has a brilliant future
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by KhalidBiary View Post
Hey guys,

I currently have two resonators removed and was thinking of buying a testpipe/racepipe. I was wondering if it would make my exhaust backfire more or what not? Since it's removing a cat , will it cause a lot more popping and crackling?

Thanks

Why not just get a long catless downpipe if you're looking for a more aggressive exhaust sound?
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #5

flapjack is a jewel in the roughflapjack is a jewel in the roughflapjack is a jewel in the rough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Stock tune? Yes switching to a race/test pipe will increase the volume of popping that is already happening but it won't cause it to pop more than it already does. Whats your exhaust setup now?
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Race Pipe / Test Pipe

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Stock tune? Yes switching to a race/test pipe will increase the volume of popping that is already happening but it won't cause it to pop more than it already does. Whats your exhaust setup now?

Yes , stock tune. I currently have two resonators deleted but the rest of the exhaust is stock.

Originally Posted by alden View Post
Why not just get a long catless downpipe if you're looking for a more aggressive exhaust sound?

I'm getting a cat less downpipe soon but can't afford it yet.

Last edited by KhalidBiary; 11-15-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #7

5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world5doorsoffury is the leader of the world
Groans: 67
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Neutral  -1 score     

The way to get poping and crackling is to run super rich. The way we do that here is to tap into the fuel tank from below with a tank tap. Then run it into the muffler section with a valve. You can use the kind that are ment for a garden hose thats what most people run. Now while you drive the gas will pour into the exhaust and poof problem solved.
jdspeed likes this.
PTE 5858 Vband .82ar // Tial EWG // CPE Mani // 3" Turboback // JBR Under route hot pipe // MD ST mani+spacer with PI // Siemens 60lb Injectors // Splitsecond inj controller // JBR 88 duro RMM/TMM // MD PMM // TWM Full replacement shifter // JBR CC // Autotech FP Internals // SP63 SB/Manley rods SP63 pro pistons // Treadstone FMIC TR824 // FoMoCo Tranny Jizz // South Bend Clutch Stage 3 enduro// GFB Respons // FJ 4" intake // WMI 100% VPM1// Air Lift 1000 in rear
Rfinkle tune in progress

The Brooklyn beater: 2005 1.8 Auto Sentra

5doorsoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5doorsoffury For This Useful Post:
g00s3y (11-15-2017)
 Old 11-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by 5doorsoffury View Post
The way to get poping and crackling is to run super rich. The way we do that here is to tap into the fuel tank from below with a tank tap. Then run it into the muffler section with a valve. You can use the kind that are ment for a garden hose thats what most people run. Now while you drive the gas will pour into the exhaust and poof problem solved.

Sounds like a great method , however I think I'll pass.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #9

g00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the worldg00s3y is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,111 Times in 931 Posts
Groans: 403
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bzVTV5tye8

Best mod for OP
 Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by g00s3y View Post
Fucking ricer

Yeah dude , everyone with a racepipe is a fucking ricer

Old 11-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

flapjack is a jewel in the roughflapjack is a jewel in the roughflapjack is a jewel in the rough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Thought this forum was to help people who ask questions about the platform and steer them in the right direction? Crucifying people calling them ricers doesn't help anyone.

OP if you want more popping from your exhaust, the best and safest way is to get an Accessport and a flash tune from Stratified. When you buy the tune there are options you can choose for medium and loud crackles/pops which will occur when you let off the throttle. Putting in a race pipe would make them louder but they should be plenty loud with the exhaust setup you already have.

Another more ghetto ricer option is to get a 50/50 blow off valve and set it to full VTA. Your car will run rich/foul the spark plugs/destroy your cats but it will pop loud between shifts. I highly recommend the first option for obvious reasons...but I thought I'd give you all your options.
KhalidBiary likes this.
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #12

aackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the worldaackthpt is the leader of the world
Groans: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The n00bs leading the n00bs. O Mazda, why did you have to kill Mazdaspeed... what have we become???
Sandman978 and Thepedigree13 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to aackthpt For This Useful Post:
Thepedigree13 (11-15-2017)
 Old 11-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Thought this forum was to help people who ask questions about the platform and steer them in the right direction? Crucifying people calling them ricers doesn't help anyone.

OP if you want more popping from your exhaust, the best and safest way is to get an Accessport and a flash tune from Stratified. When you buy the tune there are options you can choose for medium and loud crackles/pops which will occur when you let off the throttle. Putting in a race pipe would make them louder but they should be plenty loud with the exhaust setup you already have.

Another more ghetto ricer option is to get a 50/50 blow off valve and set it to full VTA. Your car will run rich/foul the spark plugs/destroy your cats but it will pop loud between shifts. I highly recommend the first option for obvious reasons...but I thought I'd give you all your options.

Honestly Man, I appreciate that you are one of the only people who took effort in actually answering the question. Whenever someone asks something , I do my best to answer if I can. So again , thank you man.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #14

Thepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the worldThepedigree13 is the leader of the world
Groans: 64
Not Ranked  0 score     

Best mod for the pops and crackles you so desire would be trade your car for an SRT 4.

They go for pretty cheap now and you also benefit from the majority of them being ragged and riced already.

Sorry I had to....

Seriously though racepipe and a tune will probably fulfill your inner ricer with the new sounds, and will give you a pretty good hp gain.

COBB: (APV3//Exhaust Hangers)
CS: (TMIC//RP//Leather Knob//Battery Box//Interior LEDs)
JBR: (3" SRI//80 Threesome//SSP//SSB//TB TIG//Coolant Bypass//Rice Flaps, EGR delete, OCC)
Magnaflow CBE//GFB BOV//FREEKY DEEKY OTS+

》》》SUPPORT YOUR MSF VENDORS《《《
Thepedigree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-16-2017, 04:28 AM   #15

Jupitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thepedigree13 View Post
Best mod for the pops and crackles you so desire would be trade your car for an SRT 4.

They go for pretty cheap now and you also benefit from the majority of them being ragged and riced already.

Sorry I had to....

Seriously though racepipe and a tune will probably fulfill your inner ricer with the new sounds, and will give you a pretty good hp gain.
This is all ive done to my car when it comes to power and ya gains were had after freek ots+ happened
Jupitur is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #16

Sandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the worldSandman978 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Race pipe = boost creep... IIRC you can't just get the test pipe and drive away... BCS highly recommended? HPFP and accessport required. Unless you like living on the edge.
BCS= boost control solenoid
HPFP= high pressure fuel pump internals
Good luck and mod wisely.

Fapped over pictures of Laguna Seca
 Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #17

Db09ms3 will become famous soon enoughDb09ms3 will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

Bore out the muffler bearings and lube generously
Db09ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #18

darkmx-6 will become famous soon enoughdarkmx-6 will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

you know I really wonder why people pay so much if all they want is a loud obnoxious car. just cut the exhaust in half and be happy?

or better yet get a muffler shop to strait pipe it to stock location.

as for me I'm keeping the stock cat back, deleting both cats and adding an exhaust cutout before the cat back exhaust. That way it is quiet most of the time and only loud when I want to be or racing.
darkmx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #19

(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     

Originally Posted by darkmx-6 View Post
you know I really wonder why people pay so much if all they want is a loud obnoxious car. just cut the exhaust in half and be happy?

or better yet get a muffler shop to strait pipe it to stock location.

as for me I'm keeping the stock cat back, deleting both cats and adding an exhaust cutout before the cat back exhaust. That way it is quiet most of the time and only loud when I want to be or racing.

I don't want to be obnoxiously loud or else I'd straight pipe from the down pipe. I was asking about the pops because I personally love the sound of a nice crackle. I think many people on the forum do.

Jupitur likes this.
 Old 11-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #20

Jupitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't want to be obnoxiously loud or else I'd straight pipe from the down pipe. I was asking about the pops because I personally love the sound of a nice crackle. I think many people on the forum do.

I was running pretty rich when i had cobb stage 2 tune with catless dp, res delete and stock intake. wayyy to much crackle compared to an actual tune
Jupitur is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #21

Thor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the worldThor Hammer is the leader of the world
Groans: 72
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Sandman978 View Post
Race pipe = boost creep... IIRC you can't just get the test pipe and drive away... BCS highly recommended? HPFP and accessport required. Unless you like living on the edge.
BCS= boost control solenoid
HPFP= high pressure fuel pump internals
Good luck and mod wisely.

Fapped over pictures of Laguna Seca
You do not need to change your BCS. Stock works fine with full bolt-ons until you go big turbo.

When my HPFP was leaking fuel into the crankcase I would get afterfires in the exhaust. It was annoying as hell and didn't "crackle". It was more like a pop/ boom and it sucked.

Forget all that and just focus on making your car faster reliably and intelligently. Get an AP and HPFP internals first. Then talk to your tuner about your supercar sounds fantasy.
2007 MS6- H&R Coilovers/ C-PE Catted DP/Corksport HPFP Internals/ AEM CAI/ ETS TMIC/ CPE Austenite Dual CBE/ CPE TIH/ Synapse Synchronic/ Freektuned/ AP Short Shifter/ AWR RMM and OEM TMM with CS Inserts/ Southbend Stage 2 Endurance/Stop Tech Slotted Rear and DBA T3 4000 Series Front with EBC Reds/CPE xFlex Rear Diff Mount/ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar/DSS Level 2.9 Rear Axles

Waiting for Install: Damond OCC/ CS Injector Seals/ WMI/ Torque Solutions Shifter base bushings

Last edited by Thor Hammer; 11-16-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
Thor Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #22

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Thor Hammer View Post
You do not need to change your BCS. Stock works fine with full bolt-ons until you go big turbo.

When my HPFP was leaking fuel into the crankcase I would get afterfires in the exhaust. It was annoying as hell and didn't "crackle". It was more like a pop/ boom and it sucked.

Forget all that and just focus on making your car faster reliably and intelligently. Get an AP and HPFP internals first. Then talk to your tuner about your supercar sounds fantasy.

This made me laugh "Then talk to your tuner about your super car sound fantasy ". But I agree and came to the conclusion that I'll hold off and buy a AP next

darkmx-6 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to KhalidBiary For This Useful Post:
Thor Hammer (11-16-2017)
 Old 11-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #23

darkmx-6 will become famous soon enoughdarkmx-6 will become famous soon enough
Not Ranked  0 score     

came to the conclusion that I'll hold off and buy a AP next
This is the best thing that has come out of this thread.
Mod you can close this thread now.
darkmx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by darkmx-6 View Post
This is the best thing that has come out of this thread.

Mod you can close this thread now.

Yessir , I wasn't wanting the racepipe for the sound specifically. I think my car sounds great the way it is. But I then realized that RP are 130ish and I'd much rather spend that towards a AP to help me monitor and tune to get more than just a couple hp gains

Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #25

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,673 Times in 861 Posts
Groans: 103
Groaned at 44 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

OP, Ive been on this fourm for 9 years. My Gen 1 was bought by me new in May '08. I turn my own wrenches and do all maintenance. All mods done by me personally.

Given the age of your car, your high pressure fuel pump has wear. They are marginal for keeping up with demand even with stock exhaust on brand new cars.

The resos are straight through design. Removing them will not stress the pump. But removing the low flow secondary cat/midpipe and replacing it with a racepipe does more than raise exhaust volume - it increases flow, increases power and fuel demand. That stresses the pump. If you take this step on an old, worn pump, you need to be monitoring and logging AFR, fuel trims, and injector band width to know if you can do this without going boom. Maybe, maybe not.

Now is the time to upgrade the pump internals with the race pipe. You can get by on stock tune. You mention upgrading downpipe. Internals and a tune are absolutely required or you will blow.

Please spend some time reading threads on safely modding this car. Its all here. Don't expect to be spoon fed. Know that we lack tolerance or patience for ricers and those who don't do their due diligence in reading the threads (scores of them on this subject) before asking stupid questions.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
Thepedigree13 (11-19-2017)