register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crankshaft
  • 1 Post By Vinnie

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 05-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Zeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the world
Thanked 11,133 Times in 262 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Itís been a nice run.

I havenít been super active here in recent years. I am the original owner of a true red 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT. Thatís almost 11 years. When I bought this car, I was a 24-year-old bachelor. Now Iím 35 with a wife and 3-year old and all kinds of situations. How the times have changed.

Anyway, sheís sadly not long for my garage. Iíll admit I got lazy with maintenance in recent years; oil changes and whatnot. The main issue is that the A/C compressor seized up. (Over the past 4 years or so itís been slowly leaking juice and blowing hot by springtime, prompting a basic recharge. May or may not be related.) And with the compressor seized, the engine was having trouble starting because the belt couldnít turn that A/C wheel. Replacing just the compressor, I was quoted about 1200 or $1500 for the job (canít remember), but then I was also told that the other 2 parts of the A/C system might also be compromised and might need replacing in the short term, making for a few thousand more to repair. Also the engine oil had tell-tale metal flecks in it, indicating early stages of engine failure. So that all being a large chunk of the carís trade-in value (about $6k) or private sale value (theoretical $8k and a hard sell without full repairs), Iím off to shop for a new ride.

Iím looking into an Audi A4 or S4. Kinda feeling a used S4. Itís gotta be a manual of course! Also going to look into a BMW 3-series or maybe Cadillac ATS. Too bad Mazdaspeed is dead. But itís time to step up to something a bit more refined.

Gonna miss the car! Itís been a lot of fun to drive, every day. Playing around with light mods at first was fun too. I never got the balls to step up to real power mods. Only thing I ever did was an intake, boost tubes, rear engine mount, and then some lesser perks (hood lifts which I highly recommend, shifter bushingsÖ thatís about it I think, lol). About the only things I wonít miss about this car is the narrow ass seats (I never got rid of my fat ass after all) and the climate controls have always just kind of blown, pun intended. Never once used the CD player or the cigarette tray, lol.

When I got this car, I thought for sure Iíd have some major engine issue, like a blown turbo down the road or god-knows-what with the engine block. Or transmission issues like the Mazdaspeed Protege had. But yeah, mainly just the goddamn A/C system. Who knew.

Peace out! Thanks for the miscellaneous help over the years.
 Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,748 Times in 919 Posts
Groans: 113
Groaned at 46 Times in 30 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

For a family vehicle consider a 2013 or newer Q5 with the 3.0T engine. Many of the attributes of a hatchback but with more interior room and it is all wheel drive. With the creature comfort and amenities one expects from the A4/S4 Audi platform

That engine, which is shared with the S4, is a supercharged monster. Stock is 272 horsepower, but with one bolt on (either overdrive crank pulley or undersize s/c pulley) and stage 2 tune it is 430 horses. Mine is doing 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and 12.7 quarters. And some guys running higher ratio overdrive pulleys and race gas or ethanol blends are in the 11s.

it has the same 8 speed ZF transmission that is in all the hot MOPARs, AMG Mercs, BMWs and some exotics. In sport mode, especially with brutal, lightning quick launch control activated, you will not miss the 6 speed manual and extra pedal. It has a manual mode, if you prefer. It will knock out those 4.3 0-60s with no tire spin. I repeat, launch is brutal. 1.6 or better 60 ft without effort.

I still have my '08 Speed 3 I bought new 10 years ago, but am considering putting it up for adoption after spending a year with the supercharged Q5. It is basically an SUV version of an S4. It gains some weight, but carries it well. The fat lady can sing.
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSMS3 For This Useful Post:
Zeya (05-10-2018)
 Old 05-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Zeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the worldZeya is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Wow that's pretty intense with the Q5. Sounds like a lot of fun!

For your speed 3... you can either ride it till it dies, or consider selling it now while it holds more value and runs well, maybe to an enthusiast looking for a fun ride. I'm afraid of when I go to trade mine in because it is not running well at all. Hopefully they don't look to closely.
 Old 05-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

crankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That was a good run. How many miles?
 Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

Say Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the worldSay Chi Sin Lo is the leader of the world
Groaned at 62 Times in 28 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Can you tell us more about the "tell tale signs of metal flecks" from the engine oil? Like what specifically, and how did you know?

I'm curious because I just found out my 10x,xxx miles car is burning oil.

Thank you.

Mazdaspeed Coilovers // BMW E46 M3 Front Endlinks (works perfectly) // SPC Rear Camber Arms // Mazdaspeed CAI // CP-E Turbo Inlet // TurboXS BPV // CP-E 60 Duro RMM // Damond PMM // TWM Short Shifter // JBR Shifter Bushings // JBR Heavy Shift Knob

I have an Autotech HPFP laying around, just too lazy to install it.
Say Chi Sin Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Say Chi Sin Lo For This Useful Post:
MSMS3 (06-18-2018)
 Old 05-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

crankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the worldcrankshaft is the leader of the world
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
Can you tell us more about the "tell tale signs of metal flecks" from the engine oil? Like what specifically, and how did you know?

I'm curious because I just found out my 10x,xxx miles car is burning oil.

Thank you.
Probably looks like flakes in the oil...you can google some good pictures. Actual metal flakes in the oil...kinda like flakes in metallic paint, except the flakes are bigger and fewer. It's typically bearing material.

Burning oil would be more along the lines of a turbo seal, worn or bad oil rings, worn valve guides.........
ryguy 3 likes this.

Last edited by crankshaft; 05-11-2018 at 12:12 PM.
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 05-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #7

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Itís about 100k miles. The meta in the oil... if you hold it and reflect some light itís like this super fine dust floating on top thatís glinting light off it. Photos wouldnít do it justice. You almost need a microscope or something.
 Old 05-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,229 Times in 1,801 Posts
Groans: 538
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

send it for analysis, they'll tell you what kind of metal it is, but it's prolly bearings.
 Old 06-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just to cap this off. I ended up trying to buy an Audi A4 allroad. When it came time to appraise my trade-in (the speed 3), they had trouble starting it. Then they drove it across the lot to the mechanic where it would not start again. The AC compressor had seized up again. I ended up actually selling it to the mechanic who took a look at it, lol. Would have been hard to find a buyer in general, but too bad it couldn't have just held itself together for a little longer to be nicer for a trade-in.

But then they kept dragging their feet at Audi and I left not buying a car. And then I thought better of it and how I could find another car and save money. (Got a family to support on only my income...) After a couple more weekends of car shopping, I ended up buying a new 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T with six speed manual transmission. It's actually really fun and the fit and finish on that car is really out of its own price range (about $31k msrp, I paid just over 31k out the door). My wife didn't want me getting a stick which I was ready to abandon "for the team" but then she relented. Doesn't seem like people mod the hell out of the Honda Accord but that's fine with me. They got a couple ECU tuning solutions.

Anyway thanks again! Going to miss the speed 3. Oh I kept the shift knob as a memento. Poor sap got some $14 off-the-shelf shift knob, lol.
MSMS3 (06-18-2018)
 Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #10

Carskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond reputeCarskick has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Those 2018 Accord 2.0T sports are nice. A good friend of mine is leasing one, and they are very nice and refined. Good compromise of sport and luxury for the price. His is the 10 speed auto.

I bought my 09 speed new and started modding 2 years ago. Luckily still running great. Started to have AC issues, but a flush and charge solved it and mechanic found no signs of leaks. Proabably just needed the flush since it's never been done.

Those Accorda are detuned Civic type R engines, right? I'd think with some bolt on and a tune you'd be over 300hp easy!
Current Performance Mods: APv3 Freektune 93 & E-30 | JBR 3.0 SRI | ETS TMIC, SpeedDaddy TP | AT HPFP | Damond RMM | Southbend S2 Endurance Clutch/Fly | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | EBC RedStuff Pads | Enkei 18x8.5 PF01 | Continental EC Sport 245/40R18 | Koni STR.T Shocks | JBR Shifter Bushings
Stereo Mods: Pioneer AVH4100NEX | Phoenix Gold Fronts | Focal Rears | Polk 12" in Trunk Floor Enclosure | PPI 4x125W amp driving Fronts & Sub
Other Mods: Low Note Additional Horn
Mods Awaitting Install: JBR TMIC Red Boost Tubes | DM OCC w/VTA
Future Mods:DM PMM & TMM | Injector Seals | Whiteline Suspension Bushings | Built Block & BNR S3v2 if ZZB
Removed Mods: JBR 70A RMM
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #11

Vinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the worldVinnie is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,395 Times in 271 Posts
Groans: 76
Groaned at 20 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Let me chime in. I just traded in my MS3 for a Focus RS. they can be had brand new at a great price right now because Ford axed their sedan segment. It's worth checking out. AWD, 350hp/tq, creature comforts, torque vectoring, drift mode... hahha but for real, why not toss that in.
silvapain likes this.
 Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

HumbleGhost has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

What kind of value are you looking at for an 08 MS3 with 95k miles?
HumbleGhost is offline   Reply With Quote