register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #1

projectspeed3 will become famous soon enoughprojectspeed3 will become famous soon enough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default State Ref Advise

Hey everyone,

I know this has been a topic that for the most part, has been beaten to death but it seems like the laws are grey and often changing.

Last night I was pulled over for a loud exhaust, and no he didn't use a decibel meter to my knowledge. He then asked me to pop my hood and he began taking photos of all modifications on the vehicle and wrote me for

- VC 27150(a) mod exhaust loud (correctable)

- VC 27156(b) mod/missing emissions. (non-correctable)

Mods include: SRI/TIP, FMIC, CBE + DP, and AP

Because the laws seem to have changed over the last few years, the steps to clear this up seem a little blurred. As this is my daily driven car, it'd be a huge hassle (despite being my fault) to have it out of comission for the shop to re-install the stock parts (which I have). If I DO have to go to the referee station, what am I allowed to keep on? do I need to prove a fix for the exhaust loudness? Do I even need to go to court?

I live in CA

Whats the process on this and how should I go about it?

Thanks in advance
projectspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Groans: 10
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Move out of that communist state. You'll never win....
I'm selling my friends car for him in Idaho because mods and because he lives in CA (communist america)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kTaLgsTo For This Useful Post:
Littleredwagon (09-11-2019), Pu Manchu (07-19-2018)
 Old 07-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #3

projectspeed3 will become famous soon enoughprojectspeed3 will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
Move out of that communist state. You'll never win....
I'm selling my friends car for him in Idaho because mods and because he lives in CA (communist america)
Fair lol, unfortunately that's not much of an option. Just want to know the bare minimum I can do/spend to take care of this lol.
 Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #4

kTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the worldkTaLgsTo is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Are any of your mods CARB approved?
Having the carb sticker will ward cops off most of the time.
Get in good with an emissions guy and get him to pass you, cops can't argue against a passed emissions test...
Do a better job at hiding mods, or quiet down your car a touch
 Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You’re probably going to be sent to the ref. Get ready to stock that thing out in order to pass. You are probably running cleaner if you have a custom tune but Cali smog nazis don’t care. I have heard of people claiming to the ref that their car broke down and is undrivable and just paying a fine, but I can’t say for sure. Good luck
SaveMelMac is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #6

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
Are any of your mods CARB approved?
Having the carb sticker will ward cops off most of the time.
Get in good with an emissions guy and get him to pass you, cops can't argue against a passed emissions test...
Do a better job at hiding mods, or quiet down your car a touch
emissions guy as in state ref or just a smog check person? weirdly enough my car isnt THAT loud especially compared to some of the ricers around here. Cops didnt seem to care so I played the dumb card.

Originally Posted by SaveMelMac View Post
Youíre probably going to be sent to the ref. Get ready to stock that thing out in order to pass. You are probably running cleaner if you have a custom tune but Cali smog nazis donít care. I have heard of people claiming to the ref that their car broke down and is undrivable and just paying a fine, but I canít say for sure. Good luck
I keep reading that FMIC, SRI, and CBE do NOT affect emissions in a vehicle therefore maybe I can get away with just doing the DP and AP uninstall and get it checked?

Maybe its worth just driving by the Referee and talking to them about it? Regardless, I guess I have to appear in court with or without corrections.

Last edited by projectspeed3; 07-19-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 07-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #7

SaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the worldSaveMelMac is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Technically your right it has nothing to do with emissions the ref is not going to let it pass. Have you gotten the ticket in the mail yet with all the fine info? It should tell you what you need to do.
You can request a trial by mail, and hope the officer does not respond and you can get the ticket thrown out.
 Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Technically your right it has nothing to do with emissions the ref is not going to let it pass. Have you gotten the ticket in the mail yet with all the fine info? It should tell you what you need to do.
You can request a trial by mail, and hope the officer does not respond and you can get the ticket thrown out.
no this literally JUST happened last night. Though I do need to take care of it as soon as possible.

so EVEN THOUGH its technically not messing with emissions, the ONLY mods that can remain are CARB certified ones, correct?

Thanks!!
 Old 07-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by projectspeed3 View Post
no this literally JUST happened last night. Though I do need to take care of it as soon as possible.

so EVEN THOUGH its technically not messing with emissions, the ONLY mods that can remain are CARB certified ones, correct?

Thanks!!
Yes must have a EO number.
 Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #10

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't see how the cop can write a ticket for noise without a dB meter. There is a clear cut standard for noise pollution -- 95 dB. That also takes his "probable cause" for the stop and throws it out the window. That's profiling. Plain and simple.
Solarsurge is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #11

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Solarsurge View Post
I don't see how the cop can write a ticket for noise without a dB meter. There is a clear cut standard for noise pollution -- 95 dB. That also takes his "probable cause" for the stop and throws it out the window. That's profiling. Plain and simple.
They donít need a db meter all he has to do is say I heard the guy coming from 3 blocks away. Thereís his probable cause. It would be no different from a cop writing you a ticket for having a headlight out. He is using one of his senses to see the light isnít working. He doesnít have to carry around some device to measure light to show it isnít working.
 Old 07-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #12

Solarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the worldSolarsurge is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

They donít need a db meter all he has to do is say I heard the guy coming from 3 blocks away. Thereís his probable cause. It would be no different from a cop writing you a ticket for having a headlight out. He is using one of his senses to see the light isnít working. He doesnít have to carry around some device to measure light to show it isnít working.

I think we can all agree that police can do and say whatever they want and get away with it, for the most part. However, California LAW specifies that exhausts must be below 95 dB. ďObservationĒ of a headlight can be made visually. It is impossible to ďobserveĒ 95 decibels of sound at any distance without a calibrated scientific instrument because it is a scientific measurement. Thatís why a cop has to have radar, laser or speedometer clock for a speeding ticket. They canít give you a speeding ticket simply because your car LOOKS fast. They have to ďobserveĒ with a measurement. A cop can say whatever he wants to justify a stop. But with no measurement, the citation is invalid. Any judge will dismiss that case. Just pass the inspection and the noise thing will get dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Old 07-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #13
MSF's Punishing Member

Pu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the worldPu Manchu is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,312 Times in 1,859 Posts
Groans: 546
Groaned at 179 Times in 116 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

so the process is submit to it, fight it, or cheat your way out of it. then maybe next time don't straight pipe your exhaust when you live in a restrictive state that wants to milk you.
 Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #14

Not Ranked  0 score     

I think we can all agree that police can do and say whatever they want and get away with it, for the most part. However, California LAW specifies that exhausts must be below 95 dB. ďObservationĒ of a headlight can be made visually. It is impossible to ďobserveĒ 95 decibels of sound at any distance without a calibrated scientific instrument because it is a scientific measurement. Thatís why a cop has to have radar, laser or speedometer clock for a speeding ticket. They canít give you a speeding ticket simply because your car LOOKS fast. They have to ďobserveĒ with a measurement. A cop can say whatever he wants to justify a stop. But with no measurement, the citation is invalid. Any judge will dismiss that case. Just pass the inspection and the noise thing will get dropped.

They donít have to have radar on a car to give you a speeding ticket. If you are going 80 mph in a 25 they donít have to get you on radar first in order to pull you over and issue a ticket. Itís all in how the officer explains how he figured out you were speeding, through observation, passing other cars, experience etc. I have known a few people who have gotten the modified exhaust ticket and none of the cops had a decimal meter. Guess what they all had to pay the fine and get it fixed. The only chance he has it getting thrown out is if the office does a poor job explaining how he knew it was over the limit. Like I said before if the cop says he heard him coming from 3 blocks away thereís the probable cause. Not saying the guy deserves a ticket because it is a bullshit one just to get you pulled over. The cop should be fighting some real crime instead of writing BS tickets.

Originally Posted by Pu Manchu View Post
so the process is submit to it, fight it, or cheat your way out of it. then maybe next time don't straight pipe your exhaust when you live in a restrictive state that wants to milk you.
True. Iíve been in the car game my whole life living in California. I learned a long time ago if your going to heavly mod, make your shit a quiet as possible, have a front plate and make sure all lights are working. Donít give them a reason to pull you over in the first place.

Last edited by SaveMelMac; 07-19-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: MSF Database - Automerged Doublepost
 Old 07-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #15

Not Ranked  0 score     

They don’t have to have radar on a car to give you a speeding ticket. If you are going 80 mph in a 25 they don’t have to get you on radar first in order to pull you over and issue a ticket. It’s all in how the officer explains how he figured out you were speeding, through observation, passing other cars, experience etc. I have known a few people who have gotten the modified exhaust ticket and none of the cops had a decimal meter. Guess what they all had to pay the fine and get it fixed. The only chance he has it getting thrown out is if the office does a poor job explaining how he knew it was over the limit. Like I said before if the cop says he heard him coming from 3 blocks away there’s the probable cause. Not saying the guy deserves a ticket because it is a bullshit one just to get you pulled over. The cop should be fighting some real crime instead of writing BS tickets.
A decibel is a measurement of energy. More specifically, the amplitude of an energy wave at a specific distance from its origin, which can then be used to find the amplitude at its origin. It must be measured at a specific distance to be scientifically relevant. With no meter all he can scientifically "observe" is sound greater than 10 dB, the lowest that a human ear can "hear." Any exhaust above 76 dB can be heard from 3 blocks away. Coincidentally, 77 dB is the actual average dB level of ANY passenger car traveling at 65 mph. So, I'd applaud the cop. His ears work and he accurately heard a car exactly when he should have heard it. *Slow clap* In reality, that's *scientifically* better grounds for a speeding ticket than a noise ticket. lol
 Old 07-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #16

Not Ranked  0 score     

I don't know all about CA, but in OR a cop can get certified on speed judgment/analysis. This basically makes him an expert at judging how fast a car is going, he can submit his certificate during a court case and it's held as gospel.
As far as loud cars, all they need is to change it to/add disturbing the peace. Decibels well below 95 can be a disturbance and if they can prove you were in fact a disturbance then you're stuck...
 Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

A decibel is a measurement of energy. More specifically, the amplitude of an energy wave at a specific distance from its origin, which can then be used to find the amplitude at its origin. It must be measured at a specific distance to be scientifically relevant. With no meter all he can scientifically "observe" is sound greater than 10 dB, the lowest that a human ear can "hear." Any exhaust above 76 dB can be heard from 3 blocks away. Coincidentally, 77 dB is the actual average dB level of ANY passenger car traveling at 65 mph. So, I'd applaud the cop. His ears work and he accurately heard a car exactly when he should have heard it. *Slow clap* In reality, that's *scientifically* better grounds for a speeding ticket than a noise ticket. lol
Sucks because I wasn't speeding and I was cruising at 50 in a 45. my car really isnt that loud compared to some of the ricers and subies out there. sounds like bullshit.

BUT, I did learn that you ARE allowed to have a FMIC because its just relocating what already exists and has no play on emissions standards. My Cobb SRI has paperwork on CA.gov to prove its CARB and im having them send another sticker. Think I might try to go to the ref with just the full stock exhaust and see if I pass. Then I assume Ill pay a fee there and once I plead guilty at court, and show that its been fixed, Itll just be a $25 court fee.

He took photos of my exhaust, no way I can get away with trying to fight it.
 Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #18

MSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the worldMSMS3 is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,015 Posts
Groans: 146
Groaned at 47 Times in 31 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I think we can all agree that police can do and say whatever they want and get away with it, for the most part. However, California LAW specifies that exhausts must be below 95 dB. “Observation” of a headlight can be made visually. It is impossible to “observe” 95 decibels of sound at any distance without a calibrated scientific instrument because it is a scientific measurement. That’s why a cop has to have radar, laser or speedometer clock for a speeding ticket. They can’t give you a speeding ticket simply because your car LOOKS fast. They have to “observe” with a measurement. A cop can say whatever he wants to justify a stop. But with no measurement, the citation is invalid. Any judge will dismiss that case. Just pass the inspection and the noise thing will get dropped.

Tell that to the judge and see how far it gets you. We are not talking about speeding. The "I heard him coming three blocks away" will get the job done. He will need to get CARB compliant. He is wasting time trying to do otherwise.

I don't live in CA and intend to avoid it like the plague. I'll never take a modified car into that state. When I travel to CA on business I just get a rental and live with it until I return home where we have zero inspections, zero emission control laws, zero restrictions on power mods. As long as you have your seat belt on, have a valid tag and driver's license and don't get caught speeding, you can pretty much do whatever you want with your car. There are advantages in living is deplorable inhabited fly over states where we also have readily available 93 octane gas for less than $3 per gallon.

FWIW there are CARB legal intakes, exhausts and tunes. If you live there, you have to play by the rules or expect to pay if caught. Prove to the ref that your intake and as much other stuff as possible is CARB legal, and stock out on the rest or convert to CARB legal, or it may happen again.

Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT Mods: (Sold 1/25/2019 after 10 years of ownership)
BNR Stage 1 (to fix smoking K04 turbo), TurboXS 3" Catless DP/RP "Stealthback" into stock CBE, Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2" exhaust tip, Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N conical filter, NGK 6510 Iridium IX one step colder plugs, Hypertech tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Stock BPV (works perfectly), Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's (stock size on stock rims); Hawk HPS pads; SURE RMM; Grimmspeed EBCS (2 port mode), Bilstein B6's, SPC rear camber arms.
MSMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Here is a VERY clear explanation of CA law written by a CA muffler shop specifically to clarify what is and is not ďlegalĒ according to CA law:

http://www.bobsmuffler.com/noise.htm

TLDR: As long as your catalytic converter is intact and you have no exhaust cutout or bypass mechanism, modified exhausts are 100% legal. It actually states within the same section of that law the standards for measurement are established in CCR 1036, which clearly states that 95 dB is the limit, defines clearly HOW it must be measured, and at what distance. They simply canít cite you for breaking half a law. There is a whole other section of that law that states exceptions and you are 100% legal if you do not exceed 95 dB. As I said before, with no measurement, there is no law broken.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #20

shamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the worldshamie is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sucks because I wasn't speeding and I was cruising at 50 in a 45.
So what part of 50 in a 45 isn't speeding? Maybe the same part that's having a modified car in CA. Both breaking the law.

My advice is buy your lube in bulk - you're going to need a lot of it.
2009 MGM MS3 - / HTP 3"/ COBB AP, FMIC, RMM, & DP / AT Internals / Manley Rods & Pistons / ARP studs & bolts / Koyorad radiator / DM OCCs / ACT Clutch / Bilstein B16 / CS Camber Plates, Camber Arms, & Seals / JBR .125 RSB, BSD, 51R Battery Box & Raider's AD / StopTech Brakes
shamie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shamie For This Useful Post:
g00s3y (07-21-2018), Mattyhawk1 (07-20-2018)
 Old 07-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #21

Mattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the worldMattyhawk1 is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Not Ranked  0 score     

Sucks because I wasn't speeding and I was cruising at 50 in a 45. my car really isnt that loud compared to some of the ricers and subies out there. sounds like bullshit.

BUT, I did learn that you ARE allowed to have a FMIC because its just relocating what already exists and has no play on emissions standards. My Cobb SRI has paperwork on CA.gov to prove its CARB and im having them send another sticker. Think I might try to go to the ref with just the full stock exhaust and see if I pass. Then I assume Ill pay a fee there and once I plead guilty at court, and show that its been fixed, Itll just be a $25 court fee.

He took photos of my exhaust, no way I can get away with trying to fight it.
I would like to see where you read you can have a FMIC on it. The rules in the past have been, if it come like that from the factory, it stays like that for emissions from the MAF to the Cat unless you have an EO #.. Don't take chances with the ref if you go. If you don't pass, you will be back. Get dinged the second time for the same thing, you get flagged. Stock out 100% as it relates to your engine and exhaust and make sure everything looks 100% stock.

Put the TMIC back on. Keep the FMIC in place. There is nothing illegal with it being installed to look like a ricer. Just don't hook it up.

Everything should be easy to replace except the DP, such a bummer to have to pull that thing again.

Please read this:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=126576

Yes its for an engine swap. The Ref will still use the same process for your car too.

A 4runner site said this about a BAR Ref inspection: "They got me for having my catalytic converter welded in upside down because you couldn't see the numbers without a mirror."

Good luck.
Mattyhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #22

CA_MS3 has a spectacular aura aboutCA_MS3 has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Here is a VERY clear explanation of CA law written by a CA muffler shop specifically to clarify what is and is not ďlegalĒ according to CA law:

California's Modified Exhaust Law

TLDR: As long as your catalytic converter is intact and you have no exhaust cutout or bypass mechanism, modified exhausts are 100% legal. It actually states within the same section of that law the standards for measurement are established in CCR 1036, which clearly states that 95 dB is the limit, defines clearly HOW it must be measured, and at what distance. They simply canít cite you for breaking half a law. There is a whole other section of that law that states exceptions and you are 100% legal if you do not exceed 95 dB. As I said before, with no measurement, there is no law broken.
A few more thoughts regarding the CVC 27150(a) citation:
1) Full text of this statute is located here:
Law section
2) Noise certification guidance is located here:
https://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fac...ification.html
SAE J1169 specifies revving motor in neutral to 3/4 max rpm. Since motor is *not* under load, it should be relatively easy to pass with an aftermarket exhaust containing a resonator.
3) Many years ago, the CHP issued bulletin 98-100 to clarify its enforcement protocols. I could not find an original on ca.gov, but here is a copy:
http://www.bikersrights.com/states/c.../CHP98_100.pdf
Specifically note the answer to Q12 in attachment A.

I have carried a hard copy of this bulletin and the CBE manufacturer's statement of 95dB compliance in my cars for twenty years. I have never had to show them to a LEO, so I cannot speak to efficacy of that approach.
CA_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CA_MS3 For This Useful Post:
Solarsurge (07-20-2018)
 Old 07-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #23

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by shamie View Post
So what part of 50 in a 45 isn't speeding? Maybe the same part that's having a modified car in CA. Both breaking the law.

My advice is buy your lube in bulk - you're going to need a lot of it.
Lol in Cali, freeway speed limit is 65 but by no means does anyone follow it, anywhere. 50 in a 45 is pretty damn conservative here.
 Old 07-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #24

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mattyhawk1 View Post
I would like to see where you read you can have a FMIC on it. The rules in the past have been, if it come like that from the factory, it stays like that for emissions from the MAF to the Cat unless you have an EO #.. Don't take chances with the ref if you go. If you don't pass, you will be back. Get dinged the second time for the same thing, you get flagged. Stock out 100% as it relates to your engine and exhaust and make sure everything looks 100% stock.

Put the TMIC back on. Keep the FMIC in place. There is nothing illegal with it being installed to look like a ricer. Just don't hook it up.

Everything should be easy to replace except the DP, such a bummer to have to pull that thing again.

Please read this:

Yes its for an engine swap. The Ref will still use the same process for your car too.

A 4runner site said this about a BAR Ref inspection: "They got me for having my catalytic converter welded in upside down because you couldn't see the numbers without a mirror."

Good luck.
Here's the documentation on what to provide during an inspection. This was sent to me through some FB group so dont mind the quality of it. From what I've gathered from others is that a FMIC has no affect on emissions control and is simply relocating an existing part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mod list.jpg (125.7 KB, 11 views)
 Old 07-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #25

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Mattyhawk1 View Post

Please read this:

Good luck.
That thread you referenced is from 2006. Not gonna say it doesnt have value, but the laws have definitely been shifted around since then.