register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Baseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Question Symptoms of an exhaust leak?

So I have no means of getting completely under my car at the moment, but I suspect my testpipe might be leaking or another part of my catback just because of the burbling sound it sometimes makes. Is there like any easy way to know if I have a leak? and would this cause power loss cause my car feels like a fucking slug right now. I have reset the ecu a few times, cleaned the maf and it just seems to be running like shit. So i was wondering if an exhaust leak had anything to do with it, and the best way to tell other than actually being able to get under my car myself. I know it ridiculous but I dont want to drive an hour to corksport if nothing is wrong and Im imagining things.
Baseballpler is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #2

booya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the worldbooya620 is the leader of the world
Thanked 5,605 Times in 140 Posts
Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

With the engine running, shove a rag in the end of the tail pipe. You should feel the compression of the engine trying to push the rag out of tail pipe.

If you feel no resistance, there's an exhaust leak. Pressure will take the easiest way out, and by plugging off the end of the pipe, it will force the exhaust to come out where there is a problem.
 Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Banned

phailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the worldphailerider is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,323 Times in 966 Posts
Groans: 49
Groaned at 179 Times in 125 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

with the car warmed up, barehanded....shake the exhaust and see if it feels loose. or you can do wht ^^^he said.

my method will definitely take your mind of an exhaust leak, if in fact you have one. and that is as good as a fix!!!
phailerider is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #4

mo08ms3 is a jewel in the roughmo08ms3 is a jewel in the roughmo08ms3 is a jewel in the rough
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Its hard to tell without getting under the car. An exhaust leak can definitely cause it to run like shit but it would take a decent size leak to be that noticeable. In my experience, you will surely hear the leak if it is big enough to cause a huge performance. You can probably reach your hand to check the TP to CB connection withhout even jacking up your car to feel for a leak there.

SU boost tubes for sale:
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ost-tubes.html
mo08ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #5

mlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

look at the joints at all connections and look for black carbon deposits. and if its cold enough steam/smoke might give some clues with the car running using the rag plug
your ears will help you out a lot too
 Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

mlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to allmlassek is a name known to all
Not Ranked  0 score     

did your loss of power and exhaust "burble" start after you installed the forge bpv?

as for just the noise issue, removing the 2nd cat in place for the RP can explain the pops and burbles in the exhaust.
its normal usually happens when slowing or coming to a stop
 Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #7

Baseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond reputeBaseballpler has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mlassek View Post
did your loss of power and exhaust "burble" start after you installed the forge bpv?

as for just the noise issue, removing the 2nd cat in place for the RP can explain the pops and burbles in the exhaust.
its normal usually happens when slowing or coming to a stop
Naa i had the forge before the test pipe and catback, but I don't know if my boost is on point actually, and Im not putting in a boost gauge because that really fucked things up in my gti and audis i.e. boost leaks. anyhow Im using just a blue spring but everyone has there own combo and rhyme and reason what works for them that the fucking thing is just impossible to tune properly. one minute I hold boost like all hell, the next it feels like Im driving a god damn school bus ya know. but that is whole other topic
 Old 01-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
LBV

LBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond reputeLBV has a reputation beyond repute
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Does the cabin drone with a bass-type of noise that's annoying? That often indicates a leak.
 Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #9

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Baseballpler View Post
Naa i had the forge before the test pipe and catback, but I don't know if my boost is on point actually, and Im not putting in a boost gauge because that really fucked things up in my gti and audis i.e. boost leaks. anyhow Im using just a blue spring but everyone has there own combo and rhyme and reason what works for them that the fucking thing is just impossible to tune properly. one minute I hold boost like all hell, the next it feels like Im driving a god damn school bus ya know. but that is whole other topic
where do you live? ms3's are really finicky about the weather(especially with mods!). its been in the 20s here in MD this week and my car runs like ass when its this cold. lots of backfires, spikes higher than usual and a little sluggish at times. just the way it is...
lol runs great between 45 and 80 degrees
 Old 01-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #10

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mlassek View Post
where do you live? ms3's are really finicky about the weather(especially with mods!). its been in the 20s here in MD this week and my car runs like ass when its this cold. lots of backfires, spikes higher than usual and a little sluggish at times. just the way it is...
lol runs great between 45 and 80 degrees
lol thats what I hear, Im in portland, oregon, temps right around freezing and below... that may have a lot to do with it eh?
 Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #11

PCspeed3 will become famous soon enoughPCspeed3 will become famous soon enough
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

your car will sound like a muffalo...

~Disco Potato~
PCspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote