register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> Mazdaspeed3/6 General Discussion

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #1

BlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,084 Times in 1,066 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default Verify Coil Pack Resistance

I need some numbers to compare to. I'm measuring my coilpack resistance to make sure they're in check, however, I have a feeling the secondary resistance is quite low on all 4.

The check is as follows.
- Disconnect harness from one of the coil packs. Coil pack does not need to be removed from engine, it just needs to be accessible.
- Connect a multi-meter to the first two pins and measure the resistance.
- Report back.

I've searched high and low over the internet for acceptable values and generally, I'm seeing somewhere between 8K-18K ohms being considered normal (varies from OEM to OEM), however, I'm not sure if this applies to 2 wire coils vs. our 3 wire coils.

Mine are reading somewhere around 2K ohms which seems incredibly low.

If one of you guys can check yours when you have a chance or have checked in the past, please let me know.

If my coil pack resistances turn out to be much lower than what is presented, I'll explain how they possibly got hurt. I just need confirmation first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueStreak For This Useful Post:
ms3blackmica (02-22-2013), SilverDemon (06-22-2012)
 Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

SilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the world
Thanked 9,132 Times in 2,122 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

If I can remember, I will check when I get home from work.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely idiot proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot.
- Douglas Adams

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
- Mark Twain

Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not to protect you.

READ THIS----
2nd Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
SilverDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverDemon For This Useful Post:
BlueStreak (06-22-2012)
 Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #3

BlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the worldBlueStreak is the leader of the world
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Appreciated, Scott.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueStreak For This Useful Post:
SilverDemon (06-22-2012)
 Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

SilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the worldSilverDemon is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I am measuring 1.8K @ about 86° F ambient temps

1st two pins starting from the left..correct?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely idiot proof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot.
- Douglas Adams

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
- Mark Twain

READ THIS----
2nd Amendment

The Following User Says Thank You to SilverDemon For This Useful Post:
BlueStreak (06-22-2012)
 Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yessir.

Thanks Scott. Looks like all is well with my coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SilverDemon (06-22-2012)
 Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #6

fooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the world
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

It's in the factory manual.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

08 MS3 GT (SSM). JBR WP intake, CS boost tubes, Forge v2 BPV, JBR TB/IM TIG, JBR TB coolant bypass, JBR EGR block-off, 3-bar MAP, PTP pill, bnoon bolt, SM OCC (MD kit) w/ Kat's heater, UR DP (ceramic cat), UR resonated TP/CBE, JBR SSP, SU shift bushings, JBR trilogy mounts (CRMO 88 RMM, 70 PMM/TMM), Koni yellows, JBR RSB, 2nd Fiamm, Stoptech SS lines, Hawk HPS, spin-on CX-9 oil filter, Fumoto valve, PP 5W-30, XT-M5-QS, tints, clear bra, Continental DWS, ITV22, DashHawk, AP, AT internals

There are no stupid questions, but there are stupid people and some of them ask questions.
- A. Funicello
fooqr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fooqr For This Useful Post:
BlueStreak (06-22-2012), SilverDemon (06-22-2012)
 Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by fooqr View Post
It's in the factory manual.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Hahaha.. probably so, but it is much easier to just walk out to the garage and test it, then to look it up....I am lazy like that

- Douglas Adams

- Mark Twain

READ THIS----
2nd Amendment

Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #8

fooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the worldfooqr is the leader of the world
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

"...several kilohm is normal..."
Attached Images
File Type: gif Coil Pack.GIF (9.5 KB, 187 views)

08 MS3 GT (SSM). JBR WP intake, CS boost tubes, Forge v2 BPV, JBR TB/IM TIG, JBR TB coolant bypass, JBR EGR block-off, 3-bar MAP, PTP pill, bnoon bolt, SM OCC (MD kit) w/ Kat's heater, UR DP (ceramic cat), UR resonated TP/CBE, JBR SSP, SU shift bushings, JBR trilogy mounts (CRMO 88 RMM, 70 PMM/TMM), Koni yellows, JBR RSB, 2nd Fiamm, Stoptech SS lines, Hawk HPS, spin-on CX-9 oil filter, Fumoto valve, PP 5W-30, XT-M5-QS, tints, clear bra, Continental DWS, ITV22, DashHawk, AP, AT internals

There are no stupid questions, but there are stupid people and some of them ask questions.
- A. Funicello
fooqr is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Yes. I got that from alldatadiy.com, however, "several kilo ohms can be 2K, 18K, 25K etc.

The majority of my searches showed normal resistance values are much higher for other OEMs than what SilverDemon confirmed.

Now the Speed community has a numerical value to attach to "several kilo ohms" as a normal value for our coil packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fooqr (06-23-2012)
 Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

tzddrmz is an unknown quantity at this point
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Im having some issues with my car also, I have checked my coils on the low and high end resistance. I got 1.7 for the low and 14.2 for the high on cylinders 3 and 4. Then 1.8 on the low and 12.4 on the high for cylinders 1 and 2. Does this mean that cylinder 1 and 2 coils are goin out? Anyone with any thoughts?
tzddrmz is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

Allaboutthesnail3 is on a distinguished road
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I just bought a new ignition coil for my 08 speed3 from edgeautosport it's a new coil and it's reading 0.00 Kilohms measuring between terminals 1 and 2.. is this okay?
Allaboutthesnail3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 02-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #12

Allaboutthesnail3 is on a distinguished road
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Also some part numbers would be nice because the ones that came with the car when I purchased it was 6M8G-12A366... The ones purchased from edgeautosport are LF2L-18-100A.
Allaboutthesnail3 is offline   Reply With Quote